Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Todays ride

Post by Boab »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:38 pm A wee bit more snow overnight made todays ride very tough for its short distance.

Well jell... My ride today was short, felt pointless and ended up finishing in the pissing rain.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Verena

Post by Verena »

ledburner wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:09 pm
Locally, I've discovered, a lot of post war mini rural housing estates from 60" onwards, tending to mostly on the edges of villages were sited on disused isolation hospitals. Hmm what's at the bottom of the garden? :roll: :roll: :o
Mate of mine wants us to bivvy out in the grounds of an old disused psychiatric hospital near here, and listen out for ghosts/ paranormal activity :shock:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:38 pm
ledburner wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:09 pm
Locally, I've discovered, a lot of post war mini rural housing estates from 60" onwards, tending to mostly on the edges of villages were sited on disused isolation hospitals. Hmm what's at the bottom of the garden? :roll: :roll: :o
Mate of mine wants us to bivvy out in the grounds of an old disused psychiatric hospital near here, and listen out for ghosts/ paranormal activity :shock:
And you slept so well in the Taunus shelters. :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Sub-zero fog on the C2WFH this morning ~O)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJwmQdTlo3h ... 1rew3nnz6w
May you always have tail wind.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Still snowy! :-bd

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Impressive :-bd
Looks ace, especially with a great sunset :cool: .
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Another tough-ish ride. Got back feeling a bit weary but felt I'd a right to. Only 36km or so but a mix of ice, soft snow and one very muddy forest track made for an interesting selection. I managed to investigate a couple of possibly bivvy spots too.

Verena

Post by Verena »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:57 pm Another tough-ish ride. Got back feeling a bit weary but felt I'd a right to. Only 36km or so but a mix of ice, soft snow and one very muddy forest track made for an interesting selection. I managed to investigate a couple of possibly bivvy spots too.

Snow AND beach, lucky you!
Loki

Post by Loki »

A bit late in the posting as I have been dealing with family stuff, I managed to get out and play on the beach with my new Surly, thankfully little or no wind but there were a lot of walkers out and about, stopped to make a brew at half way, as is my way.

ImageUntitled by Simon Kirk, on Flickr

Fingers crossed i will be out for another beach patrol /breakfast this week end.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Great pictures :-bd . Is that double decKer hut on stilts a light house/beacon/sanctuary or have I missed it on on 'Master Grand Designs Bike off episode on ice for less' ?

*broadcast around mid summer post crimblemas :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We had 8-10cm of snow yesterday and a sharp frost overnight (-6C and below) so thought I'd get out and have a play before it all melted. Basically did the same route as the other day on the Winter Event.

Looks nice but had to walk 90% of this climb. Why can't walkers all use the same line? Even sheep make a better path!

Icy in places

Pretty :grin:

Under all that snow is soft wet ground so hard going. Pretty soon I'll be in that mirk ...

Told ya!

Really hard work heading back uphill. Had a chat with a couple of walkers, they mentioned it had got to -11C overnight in the valley, not sure if that's a genuine temp. Dropped a bit of pressure in the back tyre which made the next bit easier but still struggled in places. My pump had frozen up so had to stick with that pressure all the way home.

Heading back home on the same road as in the second shot (same wood in background).

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ton

Post by ton »

i rode home yesterday evening, and back in this morning Bob.
it was bloody lovely on fresh clean snow, but a complete pita where the hordes had walked.

certanly get a good workout riding in snow. :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

whitestone wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:40 pm We had 8-10cm of snow yesterday and a sharp frost overnight

First glance, I thought that was the back of a boat
RIP

Post by RIP »

FLV wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:56 pm First glance, I thought that was the back of a boat
Nice analogy! Er, Titanic? :wink: Can just see Kate Winslet leaning over that gate looking winsome :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Loki

Post by Loki »

ledburner wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:42 am Great pictures :-bd . Is that double decKer hut on stilts a light house/beacon/sanctuary or have I missed it on on 'Master Grand Designs Bike off episode on ice for less' ?

*broadcast around mid summer post crimblemas :lol:
It is the Burnham on Sea offshore light house, the tide comes up and under it, I would love to bivvy inside it at some point.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

The fog's gone :grin: , but mud was a constant companion today :roll: .

Surprised to see an ice cream van out in January: the bloke said he sells ice cream pretty much any time of year nowadays (the only benefit of global warming, I suppose :roll: ) and "you'd be surprised how many ice cream van thefts we have".

I never considered there'd be a strong black market trade in stolen ice-cream vans :shock: .
Wonder where they all go?

Then back home for coffee over the fire :grin: .
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKJNmf5Fkme ... fz1j0u19q1
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

MuddyPete wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:45 pm The fog's gone :grin: , but mud was a constant companion today :roll: .
Your a Mud-Magnetic!
(it's better than being a Midge-magnet, my curse🙄)

Hang on...... 🤔
It must be summat in your Nick-Name :roll: :lol:
"you'd be surprised how many ice cream van thefts we have".... I never considered there'd be a strong black market trade in stolen ice-cream vans :shock: .
Wonder where they all go?
Drugs? A cover for dealing/distributing, or is that too old fashioned now a, days?
Verena

Post by Verena »

Not much riding to talk about this weekend, just a little local one to stretch my legs, on the trusty old Marin. Small variation of my usual loop to explore a little section of a route signposted "Three Rivers Ride" which crops up every here and there.

Image2021-01-17_10-05-30 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

I have looked at this online before, and it is clearly a route aimed at riding of the four legged variety, but just wondering if any of you know anything about it, maybe have even ridden it on a bike, or know if it could be?
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

Just about the best bike picture I think I've taken! A wee shakedown on the Kona Unit. She's a beast. Shlepping the bridleway from Littleborough to Hebden Bridge and back.

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

:grin:
ledburner wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:08 am Drugs? A cover for dealing/distributing, or is that too old fashioned now a, days?
I imagine they've reinvented themselves as black-clad chavs on BMXs, offering an express courier service under the guise of being out and about on "local exercise" :roll: .

I wondered if the stolen ice-cream vans went the same way as pinched Aston Martins and Bentleys...spirited away in an anonymous shipping container, to a corrupt oligarchy as the instrument of some frosted dairy-based nefarious activity :shock: .
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

MuddyPete wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:43 pm :grin:
ledburner wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:08 am Drugs? A cover for dealing/distributing, or is that too old fashioned now a, days?
I imagine they've reinvented themselves as black-clad chavs on BMXs, offering an express courier service under the guise of being out and about on "local exercise" :roll: .

I wondered if the stolen ice-cream vans went the same way as pinched Aston Martins and Bentleys...spirited away in an anonymous shipping container, to a corrupt oligarchy as the instrument of some frosted dairy-based nefarious activity :shock: .
Oh, I'm so naive...
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:00 pm
MuddyPete wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:43 pm :grin:

Oh, I'm so naive...
Don't worry about Pete, he's been seeing too much of Reg, and the social distancing doesn't seem to be helping much :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Reg is rubbing-off on me? :shock:

Hmmm.... not sure if that's welcome, or not :???:.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Despite a dank looking picture below, it was a decent mixed terrain ride. It was drizzly but the terrain varied lots and i was comfy and fairly dry on the camino because of full 'guards...