Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Todays ride

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

stu how did the stooge go in the snow, i know you have 29 plus front tyre did it work ok, how did the rear end cope did it pack in at the seat stays and chain stays at all
It was fine but it was the 'right kind of snow', not very sticky and quite solid (having frozen hard last night). Also performed very well on the ice coming off the mountain road, which luckily is closed to traffic ... I wouldn't have fancied mixing it up with any cars going down there.
A very unadventurous Gorrick XC race down in Surrey. Was a cracking course, but my body let me down. Still, did wear the BearBones top, so I spread the message of "ride, eat, sleep"! 26km or so!
I hope you stopped and got a brew on at 13km? :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Rode 27 miles (3500ft climbing) from the front door in search of snow. In the hills behind Conwy got to ride in 2-4 inches. Weather was a bit pants in places, heavy squally showers, melting snow, very cold watering which meant I had very cold wet gloves and boots. And to top it off the gentle return 1o mile on the coastal cycleway had a tough head wind!

BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
FLV

Post by FLV »

technically yesterdays ride.

It was pretty snowy over my side of the hills, and therefore very slow going. Stunning though

My hike a bike speed was letting me down, possibly partially due the snow thinking I wanted it to clump up, i didnt

Finally the weather came in a bit again, so I high tailed it home before it went dark as well.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Jealous of that Dave.

Todays ride involved the lovely commute to work, although did overtake a 2.5km queue, and cycled fairly ok on flat but icy patches road for 4 miles. Not a lot else to report... :oops:
FLV

Post by FLV »

It was yesterday though, today there will be no riding.
A rescue technique refresher in the pool for scuba though :grin:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

2 mile ride into work :-bd
Not totally wasted, as it was below zero, I used my minimal clothing setup for R150 and I was toasty. Very rare for me to be warm, so a great success :grin:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Proper cold 26 miles over the Ridgeway tonight. Rear lights failed and bike could not be cleaned as the mud was frozen solid to the frame.

Two owls in the lights though, worth it just for that.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Dave Barter wrote:
Two owls in the lights though, worth it just for that.
Twit twooo!? :oops:

I remember riding home one evening, rode alongside a barn owl for about 200m, about 2m away illuminated by my headlamp. Pretty special moment I shan't forget.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Anyone fancy riding Thursday daytime ill be in the peaks and going out for a pootle somewhere?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Mike wrote:Anyone fancy riding Thursday daytime ill be in the peaks and going out for a pootle somewhere?
Thursday night is the best I can do.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Mike wrote:Anyone fancy riding Thursday daytime ill be in the peaks and going out for a pootle somewhere?
maybe. what do you have in mind?
Gari

Post by Gari »

Conditions yesterday were pretty vaguely exciting; sun, no wind and pretty cold so the snowpack was quite firm. I have been out everyday since Friday, today I may venture into Glen Einich and see what the conditions are like there.

ImageImage

I love winter :grin: :grin: :-bd
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Great pics,how do the Endo's fair on the snow ?
Gari

Post by Gari »

I really like them, though they are not on trend at all. I use the pugs as a snowpack tourer rather than a fat tired trail bike so they have more than enough grip for cruising. IME anything grippier adds lots more RR with little extra grip, usually the snowpack will be the deciding factor on traction rather than the tyre, YMMV of course. As I say I don't ride it really other than on snow.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

70Kms last night...cold and sharp out there on Wenlock Edge with a hint of ice on the pavement. Return journey had me fecking and arseing as my hands froze up and any contact with the handlebars was excruciatingly painful. Still...it took the attention off the back of my right leg which refuses to come good.

Greetz

S.
Fat tyre kicker

Cheers Gari, I'm running Larrys at the mo but have a set of Endo's to try,might stick one on the back and see,like you said, 'definitely not on trend' yet were one of the only tyres available not so long ago :roll:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Had to go to Newtown to pick some stuff up tonight so threw my bike in the van and rode home. 'Twas nice and wintery once I gained some height, in fact very wintery, as I nearly went A over T at one point on the snow covered ice :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

35km post work flat ride on the singlespeed in sleet like conditions. Took a flask for the mid point of the ride with milky hot chocolate, turned out to be a great idea :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:have a set of Endo's to try,might stick one on the back and see,like you said, 'definitely not on trend' yet were one of the only tyres available not so long ago :roll:
That's because much better designs have since appeared.
Fat tyre kicker

That they have,I like the fact that they may roll well,I like to cruise and roll
Lightly :roll: ,as if, I've some floaters too but no intention of fitting them,they
Grip well,I've rode my mates OO with them on,I've no need for that much grip,
With exception to 45 Nrth which are a little expensive,I like to stick to the quality of the Surly tyres as they are predictable :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm currently running Nate front, HuDu rear. I do occasionally spin out at the back but that's usually when standing up on the bike going uphill rather than sitting down and exerting more even pressure on the rear of the bike. So far, it seems to be a good compromise between ultimate grip and rolling resistance. Last winter I just ran the Nates F&R though and I can't say I really noticed it as being too much of a drag.

Anyway, todays ride was a wee spin from home up the the "Green" Lochan and back via the pisted XC trails at the back of Loch Morlich. Having had a bit of injury-related biking layoff I feel I'm currently getting back on with it!

Gari

Post by Gari »

Nice, saw your tracks last night on my way up to Glenmore to see friends. Did you go as far as the bothy? Just wondering what state the track is out to forest lodge.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I didn't go that far but there have been a few XC skiers up that way so it may well be rideable. I might try a loop through Nethy tomorrow.
Gari

Post by Gari »

My hub is in for a service tomorrow, I am taking a caribou out for a few hours and was thinking about doing that loop. It's usually drifted just north of the bothy for a few hundred metres after westerlies! Good for "portage"practice though :???:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Snowy ride around Sheffield for me today. Headed over houndskirk moor to totley moor n back down blackamoor got thoroughly dirty/wet and tired. 27 miles in totally so fair play to u guys who are racing the rovaniemi.
Last edited by Mike on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.