Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Todays ride

Post by Boab »

Haven't been on the bike much recently, as I've been trying to kick some lingering virus thing. Managed one ride last week, but back on it this morning. Glorious as the sun came up through some clouds into the clear sky.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Boab

Post by Boab »

So had a flu vaccine as part of a medical trial on Tuesday morning, totally knocked me for six. Needed to post a blood sample for another trial in a priority post box, so decided to go by bike, and keep going. Made for a nice change, riding into the sunset, rather than away from the sunrise...

Gave me plenty of time to ponder, and think about my final BaM of the year.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Beautiful pictures
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bit wet out, innit? ImageIMG_20201219_093345 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
This one is specially for you Reg :grin: ImageIMG_20201219_101156 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
The legs just weren't quite feeling it today, so I didn't carry on to the Cock Hotel in Bronllys :lol: What can I say, Powys is the poultry capital of Wales after all....
And isn't it great that they now design new public toilet blocks with the needs of bikepackers in mind? This one comes complete with generous canopy, a fine view, a drinking fountain and even a dog wash :-bd ImageIMG_20201219_103910 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:22 pm This one is specially for you Reg :grin:
\:d/
And isn't it great that they now design new public toilet blocks with the needs of bikepackers in mind? This one comes complete with generous canopy, a fine view, a drinking fountain and even a dog wash :-bd
5-star. Perhaps we need to create a toilet-block gazetteer - like the CAMRA boozer guide with little symbols for the various facilities and features on offer :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
FLV

Post by FLV »

Rode the road / gravel types bike again. Still gives me neck ache after a few hours. Think I'll give up on it for a while.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

:)) :d
Verena wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:22 pm Bit wet out, innit? Image
Just stick to the edge you'll be right. :-bd

If you have a companion let them go first. :d
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Went out on the skinny bike today from the front door. I soon hit the coastal cycle path (#5) at Conwy and headed west as far as Abergwyngregyn. It was after the first few miles I realised I'd put the wrong gloves on, christ it was chilly on the fingers!
From Aber I headed up the killer tarmac climb to the top car park (at 200m). Then it was the waterboard double track to Llyn Anafon (at 500m). The climb was tough in places and it made me think that its about 5 years since I last rode here as I usually take the mountain tops and look down at it. A quick bit to eat at the lake and then I made the very cold descent back down to Aber. I was going to take the Roman Road and head to the east but I knew it'll be holding loads of water and I didn't want cold wet feet on top of my cold fingers!
Luckily in Aber there was a small visitor centre with a disabled toilet in there so I made use of the hand dryer for 10 minutes :-bd
Then I took the coastal path after crossing the railway line at Aber and made my way home.
Some pics...
Image20201222_140336 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201222_103431 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

View back to the Great Orme
Image20201222_103441 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Lucky to live so close to the Carneddau
Image20201222_111800 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

In fashion gravel riding :roll:
Image20201222_112813 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

It is a great track mind
Image20201222_113011 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

And this is marked on the OS map as an incised stone (more info https://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=13974)
Image20201222_113916 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
Image20201222_113924 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Seems like over the next 5 years or so they will be draining the lake as they don't need it for the village anymore
Image20201222_115958 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201222_120054 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201222_121956 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201222_123603 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201222_131029_001 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201222_131415 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20201222_155136_599 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Verena

Post by Verena »

Looks like a great day out. Hoping to head up that way ish for a week next year in May....third time lucky, holiday postponed twice before, thanks to covid this year and poorly husband the year before...
Is that the lake where there is a lot of campaigning to keep it as it is?
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Verena wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:35 pm ......Is that the lake where there is a lot of campaigning to keep it as it is?
Yeah, it is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... s-54386591

Instagram:

YouTube:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Gravel track Jeff - that's the track to Anafon?
May the bridges you burn light your way
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:09 pm Gravel track Jeff - that's the track to Anafon?
Yes it is Stu, gravel (stone, some mud, more stone) all the way with no tarmac :wink:

Instagram:

YouTube:
Verena

Post by Verena »

summittoppler wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:33 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:09 pm Gravel track Jeff - that's the track to Anafon?
Yes it is Stu, gravel (stone, some mud, more stone) all the way with no tarmac :wink:
Looks great, going on my "wish list" for next year....
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

summittoppler wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:53 pm Went out on the skinny bike today e.
* pics...

Image20201222_131029_001 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
Skinny tyres being relative...

We dropped the car of for the Mot, after realising it was due a, week ago. :o.
then went for a very soggy 4 mile walk. Got home drove out to collect the car. No problems. Put the retest date on next year calendar :-bd .
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Boab

Post by Boab »

Instead of a work Xmas party, this year they decided to offer an alternative 12 Days of Xmas, with different activities each day. Staff allowed to pick two of the activities, I picked the Pre-Xmas Workout as one of mine. Rather than go out this afternoon, in the torrential rain, I tacked on a couple of hours to my usual early morning ride and visited a couple of local cycling establishments, that also have cafés.

The first hour was spent wiping the fog off my glasses, which turned out to be preferable to hour two. I would've been dryer standing in my shower. The fog and torrential downpours made for slow going, so I didn't have to wait for Maglia Rosso to open.

The rain had stopped by the time I left, so it was a quick thrash,on very wet roads, to Phoenix Cycleworks. Some hard kids were out on the jump track, I stayed inside for my next dose of coffee and cake.

Not sure what was going on with the weather, as it made no sense according to the two weather apps on my phone. The sun started burning through the clouds and there were patches of blue sky, both apps were saying torrential rain, go figure.

I made it home without another soaking, which was nice. As it started properly belting it down not long after. It was really nice to get out and visit these two establishments, especially as we're all into Tier 4 on Saturday, and they'll be forced to shut. The Crikey, how much Festive 500 will be a right chore without being able to stop at them for re-fueling...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

They could really do with sanding their table tops and giving them a coat of something ... get rid of all those marks.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

To be honest, I was too busy shoving that Bakewell slice into my face, to notice the table... 😋
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

As it was a beautiful crisp morning i thought i better go out and enjoy the conditions up the hills and look who i found having a break and a breakfast with a view .
ImageIMG_20201225_115640957_HDR by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I thought that it might be reasonably quiet but everyone and their dogs were out had to pause to let a group go by, so i got a picture for the quarry men on here :grin:
ImageIMG_20201225_120728939_HDR by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I also found a great spot for getting this years BAM done sometime in the next few nights .
Definately a grand day out time for some cheese i think
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Oof, Brough superior - good to see it being used (by santa :lol: )
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

I was hoping you would spot it . Yes it's what they were made for they regularly pack up the sidecar and go out for picnics all year round I had met them at a Norton owners club run didn't know about the Brough. There is another bloke around who use a Vincent Rapide as his daily transport he does carry quite a lot of chain and padlocks for those times he parks it .
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Exploring the outer edges of the (adapted) West Yorkshire Cycle Route one mile at a time. Collexting pictures for postcards/fridge magnets which I can give out with a Quran verse added as fridge magnets. Calling it the Winter313 and its designed to get folk keep getting out there as indoors isn't too healthy. erm.. for the health. Entry is just by donating £25 to yer favourite charity (Macmillan... Air Ambulance, local homeless, Hunger Crisis around the world, nothing patriotic please, etc etc) and then riding 313 miles between 5th and 15th of Jan...

Let me know if anyone wants more details. Did I say the pic/momento will come with a Quranic verse added! :smile: :o Don't tell Macron...

I'm basically going out from mine to the last point I'd left it at. Taking pics of West Yorkshire and comig home. Today saw me go out with a rear light that might die anytime soon. Naturally I only realised when it was dark. So I put my front flash/flare to the rear but wasn't comfy having a white light up rear whilst my rear charged...

So I got some of this tape that someone had kindly left on my bars... added it to the white light and suddenly it became a fully functioning rear light. Genius.. I thought so... Alhamdulillah (All Praise to God)...

Oh... and the scenery.

Must try harder... Just before walking down the second half of Trooper Lane (hardest rd climb in Yorkshire.. probably).
Dean

Post by Dean »

Did the red tape make that much of a difference? I have had this problem myself leaving my Exposure on the brightest setting by mistake on long night rides.

I went out yesterday at dusk testing my new frame and there were so many people out and about in the forest that I came back early, I will need to wait for full darkness to deter the dog walkers from coming out.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:09 am Exploring the outer edges of the (adapted) West Yorkshire Cycle Route one mile at a time. Collexting pictures for postcards/fridge magnets which I can give out with a Quran verse added as fridge magnets. Calling it the Winter313 and its designed to get folk keep getting out there as indoors isn't too healthy. erm.. for the health. Entry is just by donating £25 to yer favourite charity (Macmillan... Air Ambulance, local homeless, Hunger Crisis around the world, nothing patriotic please, etc etc) and then riding 313 miles between 5th and 15th of Jan...

Please excuse my ignorance, is there a significance to the number 313?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

woodsmith wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:05 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:09 am Exploring the outer edges of the (adapted) West Yorkshire Cycle Route one mile at a time. Collexting pictures for postcards/fridge magnets which I can give out with a Quran verse added as fridge magnets. Calling it the Winter313 and its designed to get folk keep getting out there as indoors isn't too healthy. erm.. for the health. Entry is just by donating £25 to yer favourite charity (Macmillan... Air Ambulance, local homeless, Hunger Crisis around the world, nothing patriotic please, etc etc) and then riding 313 miles between 5th and 15th of Jan...

Please excuse my ignorance, is there a significance to the number 313?
No ignorance at all Dean...

For me there is Dean. For other not so. 313 represents the most beloved companions of the many beloved companions of the Prophet Muhammed (SallallahuAlayhiWasallam/PBUH). Each of the previous Rapha500 rides I've thankfullly somehow managed to complete I've always made the number up to 313 in their honour :-bd

This year unfortunately is the first where Crikey, how much is making the riding indoors count towards that achievement (which it is - an achievement, however it's done - in my opinion). Hence I thought it might be a good opportunity to customise the 313 to a few weeks later.

Not sure if that makes any sense, but there you have it...

Oh... the red tape Dean. It defineilty made it shine red from afar. Pleased with that Alhamdulillah...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I chose the wrong bike today, I have a perfectly good fat bike for slippery conditions but for some reason decided to ride my hardtail 29er! It was still good to be out though.
ImageThree Lochs Way in the snow. by Jurassic690, on Flickr