Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: Todays ride

Post by ledburner »

MuddyPete wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:59 pm Reg is rubbing-off on me? :shock:

Hmmm.... not sure if that's welcome, or not :???:.
Like a dog?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

:lol:
May you always have tail wind.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

C2WFH - wind and water was today's theme: at least the fog's lifted :smile: .

And it's great to see some peeps are still showing some festive cheer :-bd .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKR1F7flETt ... 07saoltzqf
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ledburner wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:06 pm
MuddyPete wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:59 pm Reg is rubbing-off on me? :shock:

Hmmm.... not sure if that's welcome, or not :???:.
Like a dog?
I noticed that. You're becoming more 'Reg' than Reg himself. Soon you'll become unbearably funny to ride with :grin:
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:26 pm I noticed that. You're becoming more 'Reg' than Reg himself. Soon you'll become unbearably funny to ride with :grin:
Quick...We need someone to become the "Anti-Reg"... :YMDEVIL:

...just for balance, of course :wink: .
redefined_cycles

MuddyPete wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:56 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:26 pm I noticed that. You're becoming more 'Reg' than Reg himself. Soon you'll become unbearably funny to ride with :grin:

Erm. Cheddar Man appears to be busy. Very busy. Hope he's ok. Maybe he got carried away spinning on his shiny new NHS chair...
redefined_cycles

MuddyPete wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:56 pm

How did I do...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

:shock: Shhhhhhhhhh!!!! :roll: X_X :-SS

Shaf - you're FABULOUS! :-bd
redefined_cycles

MuddyPete wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:08 am :shock: Shhhhhhhhhh!!!! :roll: X_X :-SS

Thanks Pete... so are you and the rest :-bd
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

Mythste wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:29 pm Just about the best bike picture I think I've taken! A wee shakedown on the Kona Unit. She's a beast. Shlepping the bridleway from Littleborough to Hebden Bridge and back.

Looks like a nice ride! What make is that bar bag you have there?
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:11 am
MuddyPete wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:08 am :shock: Shhhhhhhhhh!!!! :roll: X_X :-SS

Yeah, shurrup man, we agreed remember :wink:
Last edited by RIP on Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:20 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:11 am

Yeah, shurrup man :wink:
:lol: Reg... you sound like you know my eldest (well... the second eldest as the eldest doesn't actually talk to us nor come over). His favourite line...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Blustery, nippy and wet, but at least it was daylight before breakfast :grin: .

Summer's on its way :cool: :-bd

Then the sleet arrived :roll: .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKUYp0Olowm ... 3vopb5t1wg
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah yes the well-named 'watermeadows'. And that collapsing canal towpath - I was there yesterday. It's been a problem spot for years. If that blows, my cellar will probably fill up with water about 10 seconds later with no amount of 'sticking fingers in dykes' (*) doing any good whatsoever.

(*) Oi! Just stop that in the back row, it's not Friday for another 4 hours yet.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:22 pm
:lol: Reg... you sound like you know my eldest (well... the second eldest as the eldest doesn't actually talk to us nor come over). His favourite line...
Oh and I owe you an apology - I mentioned Mr Cheese over in "Films..." before you did just here. Sorry :grin: .

Mythste

Post by Mythste »

shutuplegs wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:47 pm
Mythste wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:29 pm Just about the best bike picture I think I've taken! A wee shakedown on the Kona Unit. She's a beast. Shlepping the bridleway from Littleborough to Hebden Bridge and back.

Looks like a nice ride! What make is that bar bag you have there?
Thanks! The barbag is by a wee scottish brand called CamelChops, They're pretty new and I love that they're doing some funkier stuff than the usual macho black and grey offerings.

Tell them Stephen (@bicyclesandbeer.cc on instagram) sent you and I'm sure you'll be well looked after :-bd
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Local ain't so bad. :cool:
ImageIMG_20210122_133615645 by Jurassic690, on Flickr
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Here's my ride from yesterday. Currently working from home and its doing my head in so decided to go out on the bike. I held a 20 minute tutorial with some of my students (not on film) and had a Google Meet with a few bosses later on (at end of film). Felt much better being out and it was only an 8 mile ride!

Film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkDPxWZVnwo

BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Verena

Post by Verena »

So today was just a short local bimble with coffee, in between family stuff. Beautiful sunny morning with a fair bit of that slippery stuff on the road. When I got up to the common it started snowing, so I found a bit of shelter under the nearest tree and got to making some coffee.

About that taking-an-espresso-maker-on-a-bike-ride-thing, I found myself wondering where exactly on the three way spectrum between totally pretentious, just a bit of fun, and very very stylish in an Italian kind of way it really is?

I waited and waited, nothing was happening, and I was wondering wether my little dragon thing would actually manage to do the trick before running out of umphh.

I considered that, if it had, I'd just end up with a dry cup, fat lot of good that would do. At least if I'd brought instant, I might have at least ended up with a cup of at least warmish drinkable something.

It was, literally, like the watched kettle never boiling.

I also wondered whether there would have been anything wrong with just bringing a flask of tea.

And whether this is all part of generation Instagram? Would I, or anyone else, do something like this if no-one as watching as it were?

It certainly doesn't make much sense in terms of getting something warming inside you, cos all that sitting around cools you down way more than any espresso will warm you up.

I must admit though, when the moment finally came, and just when I'd nearly given up hope, there was the gush of coffee and the smell when I poured it, that was a glorious moment.

But that's another thing, an espresso in a full size cup is just a sad sight, don't you think?

It tasted nice enough, but I was bloody freezing by now, and now I had to wait for everything to cool down enough so I could put it back in the bag - another disadvantage compared to a flask.

And I hate the after taste of coffee, luckily I found a stray last piece of chewing gum in my jacket.

Do I even like coffee, or do I just like the idea of coffee? As in Pink Floyd: was it love? or was it the idea of being in love?

Did my ramblings come up with any conclusions then? Sort of: meh it's just a bit of fun. Or, in the words of Sheryl Crow: if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKY84KMFjye ... cdt78c3zhm
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Verena wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:35 pm
About that taking-an-espresso-maker-on-a-bike-ride-thing, I found myself wondering where exactly on the three way spectrum between totally pretentious, just a bit of fun, and very very stylish in an Italian kind of way it really is?

I considered that, if it had, I'd just end up with a dry cup, fat lot of good that would do. At least if I'd brought instant, I might have at least ended up with a cup of at least warmish drinkable something.

I also wondered whether there would have been anything wrong with just bringing a flask of tea.

And whether this is all part of generation Instagram? Would I, or anyone else, do something like this if no-one as watching as it were?

It certainly doesn't make much sense in terms of getting something warming inside you, cos all that sitting around cools you down way more than any espresso will warm you up.

I must admit though, when the moment finally came, and just when I'd nearly given up hope, there was the gush of coffee and the smell when I poured it, that was a glorious moment.

But that's another thing, an espresso in a full size cup is just a sad sight, don't you think?

It tasted nice enough, but I was bloody freezing by now, and now I had to wait for everything to cool down enough so I could put it back in the bag - another disadvantage compared to a flask.

And I hate the after taste of coffee, luckily I found a stray last piece of chewing gum in my jacket.

Do I even like coffee, or do I just like the idea of coffee? As in Pink Floyd: was it love? or was it the idea of being in love?
Agreed: it is pretentious and pointless. But sometimes the pointlessness is entirely the point :ugeek:.

But perhaps today was a "flask-of-mulled-wine" day :lol: .
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bloody cold day. Air temp was about minus 3C but there was a very chilly wind on top of that.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:35 pm So today was just a short local bimble with coffee,....
.. I must admit though, when the moment finally came, and just when I'd nearly given up hope,....... it's just a bit of fun. Or, in the words of Sheryl Crow: if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKY84KMFjye ... cdt78c3zhm
You didnt' do the 'HotPot' dance, I makes all the difference.
Good musical taste, better than the coffee. You forgot the latte maker!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:58 pm Bloody cold day. Air temp was about minus 3C but there was a very chilly wind on top of that.

The rail trail.. Cracking shot. Pogie/oven mits day
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ledburner wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:35 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:58 pm Bloody cold day. Air temp was about minus 3C but there was a very chilly wind on top of that.

The rail trail.. Cracking shot. Pogie/oven mits day
For those concerned, I should point out that's the (part-time) steam railway line, not the main line!
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

The most unusual sight of a couple of inches of snow in the South Downs!

It quickly melted in Winchester so we headed for a ride around as high up as we could get and it was lovely, sunny for a while and found some powdery snow. Glad to have got up there as it clouded over, warmed up a bit and was largely slush by mid morning.

Couldn’t spot any out on the IoW for Sean...

“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.