Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MuddyPete

Re: Todays ride

Post by MuddyPete »

Verena wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:11 pm Any pointers much appreciated.....ta
Could be a combination of many subtle factors (e.g. stem length, handle bar width). Perhaps start with simple/cheap adjustments such as tyre pressure, or borrow/test ride another bike to feel the difference.
Or try a skills course to see if that helps :-).
May you always have tail wind.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Up early and out for a 100km pootle around local bridleways, byways and back lanes to Phoenix Cycleworks for coffee and cake.

Everything was bone shakingly rock hard, which wasn't helped by me riding with my tyre pressures slightly higher than I normally would if I'd been running tubeless. One bridleways had also been churned up, raked, and left for the horses, I had to ride in the adjacent field.

I had one momentary lapse in concentration as I came to the end of a bridleway that had turnned into a broken concrete track, I looked up and suddenly remembered the single pole gate that sticks out three quarters of the way across the track. I managed to slam on the brakes, unclip, and grab the pole in a bear hug as I careared into it; then I counted my lucky stars that I hadn't been going particularly fast, or that wasn't flat on my back with a head injury.

the ride should probably have been about 20 - 30km shorter as I was absolutely blowing out my arse at the end. I nearly had to get off and push at one point as the legs just didn't have anything left. I don't think I've ever see the Wahoo display so may red LEDs, or with such frequency. Who'd have though not cycling for two months wouldn't resulted in a loss of aerobic capacity... 🙄

I might have to rethink my cockpit (bars, tape and stem), as my hands and forearms are still tingling from the constant battering they took. Lovely to be out though.
Last edited by Boab on Mon May 03, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:11 pm
benp1 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:43 am Very impressive ride, Verena. You're lucky to have that on your doorstep
... but not impressive riding on my part....
There's something I'm doing wrong, what is it?

Whenever I get to somewhere with bigger and/or loose rocks, my bike just bounces and bucks and kicks out from under me ...- which when going downhill is scary; when going uphill makes it near impossible to keep balance and momentum going; and even when going flat takes masses of concentration and effort....

Is it just strength, fitness, skill and experience?...

Or is it my bike - do I need bigger tyres, softer tyres, more suspension?...

Any pointers much appreciated.....ta
Hi the short answer,.
All the above.. (The bad news :o ).

But not necessarily in that order, as Eric Morecambe would say :-bd
This also sounds like my MTB journey... (The good news )
Looking at you last MTB ride posting, I get the impression your on an OK bike, a basic sus fork and V rim brakes.. Honest, I not stalking you :lol:
I think better suspension forks& disk brakes would greatly help such as (Air) Marzocchi MXx 2002 onward. (Once set up they just keep going.. (I wish I still had my last pair still). Being relative low air pressure. Fit & forget, not checking shock air pressure more than tyre pressure.), Can you tell I had some?
Possibly the tyre pressure is too high if your lacking grip climbing/ bouncing all over the place. (Feed back guys?)
Lastly Disk brakes will give you more confidence descending, so you can stop with out the white knuck depth grip. Also give you confidence to roll a bit faster, for momentum to pass over rocks& little dips, as will the better forks as above.
Your on flat pedals. Do your feet slip/slide, (worn pins), reducing confidence.
They good new since 26" bike are old skool, you may be able to get a quality one at a very good price. With Forks new doesn't always mean better unless you spend £££. You may get the parts and upgrade or find it cheaper to replace the bike with a 15year old bike for less...
Is it just strength, fitness, skill and experience?...
As for skills and experience, get the above sorted and the rest will come a lot easier :-bd

Come on guys, is this on the right line?
Who else can help Verena? :grin:
I can certainly supply lightly used tyre for a for feeding the bear. :grin: :-bd
(18 month ago most of my bike stuff went to a bike recycle charity.)
Last edited by ledburner on Mon May 03, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Friday into Saturday's bivi ride
https://youtu.be/0t6OpByRyb8

And today it was a 3 hours local ride in the pouring rain.....
We it was the traditional 3rd day of the annual WRT, so I thought what the hell :-bd
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Yesterday's coffeebimble in the bluebells. Lovely :cool:.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CObT0ahFMRP ... sa30z25qk6
May you always have tail wind.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Thanks Pete and ledburner, some good pointers and things to try :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:50 am Thanks Pete and ledburner, some good pointers and things to try :-bd
Thanks.. :-bd
Pete, good points...
[Edit:] This may be the kind of thing looking at ... but no try before on fleaBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KONA-KULA-M ... 890.l49286. .
obviously I don't know the size your looking for... your budget or most importantly the colour! :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

As for skills and experience, get the [kit] sorted and the rest will come a lot easier
My 2p, and directed very much at the generic use of "you".

Good kit is not a substitute for poor technique, I'd recommend skills training/coaching first.
I've ridden bikes pretty much all my life, went on my first coaching day after about 30 years' worth of riding. I had some good techniques, and some not so good ones. I came away with positive reinforcement of the good techniques, and with some new things to think about; both of these things have helped with my riding.
Good technique should apply at all levels/speeds of riding. As you work on these skills, you may find yourself pushing the limits of your kit, essentially in terms of traction. "Better" tyres, brakes, suspension will probably help in these instances, but will never guarantee you have the skills to pay the bills.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Yesterday featured heavy rain showers all afternoon, evening and into the early hours, so I was expecting some clart on this morning's ride. It wasn't too bad though, still firm, but the tyres were picking up from the damp surface:

I haven't been out this way for about six months and my favourite bridleway has been absolutely battered by horses and cyclists over the winter:

Obviously it wouldn't be a ride with tubes if I didn't also puncture while leaving a muddy bridleway. Managed to find a puddle to wash off the crap from the rear wheel, before trying to fix it. Put the spare tube in, but it wouldn't inflate, so fixed the puncture and put that tube back in, but couldn't get it to inflate either. Stripped the pump, rebuilt it, then managed to get the original inner tube pumped up again. [Insert preferred deity here], I hope my new tyres arrive quickly...

The rest of the ride was uneventful, other than bastard farm dog chasing me up a bridleway while aggressively barking. Ran out of puff after about 40km or so, and missed my first morning meeting.
RIP

Post by RIP »

K1100T wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:44 am bastard farm dog chasing me up a bridleway while aggressively barking. Ran out of puff after about 40km or so
That's one farm dog with a hell of a lot of stamina! And a pretty persistent one at that :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Boab

Post by Boab »

RIP wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:17 pm
K1100T wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:44 am bastard farm dog chasing me up a bridleway while aggressively barking. Ran out of puff after about 40km or so
That's one farm dog with a hell of a lot of stamina! And a pretty persistent one at that :smile:
🤣 Thankfully it ran out of puff before I did...
Boab

Post by Boab »

After a team lunch over Zoom, followed by a team Escape Room, we were given the rest of the day off. So off I went.

It was lovely out, if a touch chilly in the wind.

First bramble rash of the year...

Went and checked out access to one of my Virtual Winter Bivvy grid refs. It's on a footpath, but the amount of PRIVATE signage everywhere is terrifying, as was cycling through a farm yard to get out at the other end.. Flipping gravel nirvana too... 😧
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

K1100T wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:47 pm
blimey, who'd a thought..
those bluebells are fighting back :shock:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Mrs PB and I did a 120km gravel ride around the Ebro Delta yesterday, pan flat and 80% off road with a section along the beach. We visited 7 checkpoints and had to take a photo at each. Most were bird watching platforms as the Delta is famous for it's wildlife with a large population of flamingos. Shortly after this was taken, we nearly ran over a 4 foot snake crossing the trail, it didn't seem amused and we were in a hurry so no photo. We came in at 5hrs 50mins which put us around 30th of the 150 that were doing the long route so fairly pleased.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

MuddyPete wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:31 pm
Verena wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:11 pm Any pointers much appreciated.....ta
Could be a combination of many subtle factors (e.g. stem length, handle bar width). Perhaps start with simple/cheap adjustments such as tyre pressure, or borrow/test ride another bike to feel the difference.
Or try a skills course to see if that helps :-).
well done, :-bd you both look happy with your selves
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

pistonbroke wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:02 am Mrs PB and I did a 120km gravel ride around the Ebro Delta yesterday,

Crikey mate that sounds amazing.

I did 40km of Chilterns bridleway this morning, my regular loop plus a bit extra to give some new handlebars a bit of a test. Pleased to say they are very serviceable and it was a lovely morning, apart from an earphone encrusted jogger who didn't hear me behind him, wouldn't move over even when I came alongside, and then, then, THEN ... when I did get past and 60 seconds later had stopped for an oncoming horse rider, shouted "fucking twit" at me as he thundered past. The horse was ok. The rider was furious. We exchanged self-congratulatory salutations about our mutual respect for other trail users and agreed said jogger was/is a knob. I've seen him before. I will see him again. There will be words.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:20 pm There will be words.
Hopefully in 2 weeks time, be a lot more than just one biker then :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:20 pm
pistonbroke wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:02 am Mrs PB and I did a 120km gravel ride around the Ebro Delta yesterday,

Crikey mate that sounds amazing.

I did 40km of Chilterns bridleway this morning, my regular loop plus a bit extra to give
120km, That's about 75miles in inches, Chains & furlongs! UK imperial not US,...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The Delta is such a special place, particularly at this time of year when the rice fields are flooded, the gravel roads are on banks so it feels as though you are floating across an enormous lake. The variety of bird life is enormous, little egrets, storks, hoopoos as well as the hundreds of flamingos. We're so lucky to have this on our doorstep as well as mountains, deserted roads and trails.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Must've been heavy rain last night, as loads of puddles and slithery, sloppy trails this morning. Things didn't start well, when I discovered a slow puncture on the front, as I tried to cycle out of the garden; a quick patch later, and we were off.

Came off one hard-pack double track bridleway with my tyres covered in crud, to find a massive Transit type van parked on the racing line onto the small road I was about to go down. Decided to sweep passed pretty close, but both tyres washed out, then pick up again and fired my face straight at the massive wing mirror cluster. Somehow I managed to use the side of the van to get upright enough to miss the wing mirror, before sliding to a halt on the otherwise of the road.

Lots of apologies to the van driver, who must have thought I was being a dick and slapping his van in disgust. Luckily the massive muddy skid marks I'd left on the road told enough of a story and his van was undamaged, so we were all good. After a bit of a breather to get the adrenaline surge under control, we were back off down more bridleways and byways.

The slop just got worse, and I ended up having to walk one bit, as the bike was just going in any direction it wanted, other than straight on. I ended up bailing on any more trails and just plodded home, into the wind, on the road. I hope those WTB Resolute tyres turn up soon...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Was supposed to meet a mate for a ride on Monday but had to bail due to work. Deferred till yesterday but he had to bail for work. Easy to not bother but got dressed early as that's often half the battle when I CBA. Ate WAY too much for dinner and could barely move, that really didn't help - took the dog for a walk to try and make some space.

Eventually decided I should head out, by which point it was already dark, with the aim of heading to the top of Kingley Vale and trying one of the descents I'd heard about. Changed plan less than 10 min after leaving. There were grey clouds around and a big black one above where I was heading. Specs of rain were coming down and I didn't fancy getting soaked. Headed south and went to the sea instead. Lost of new to be tracks and trails, plus rode along some footpaths by the sea that had no bikes allowed signs but there was no one around in the dark. Cycled along the beach which felt like a bit of an adventure in the dark, high tide was a couple of hours away and I was cycling along the top of the shingle beach - everything from sand with rocks to pea shingle. Had a headwind the whole way but it was lovely.

Was only about 12 miles but it was very enjoyable and my first solo night ride in a long time. Just a chance to explore and enjoy where I am
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Lost of new tracks and trails" - Freudian typo there Ben :wink: . Best way to tackle them I reckon :-bd .

Just back from a ten mile ride to the next town, to help a lady beginner get going on a bike. Got her 6-year old daughter mobile a couple of weeks ago and now she's whizzing around all over the place enjoying her freedom. So much so that she's refusing to get in the car to go to school! (A ridiculous few hundred yards as her mother sheepishly admitted). So - mum has to learn as well :grin: . Had four sessions now and is almost there. I must admit I didn't make it easy for her (or me) by lending her a heavy old folder with small wheels. But she's a convert now as well - job done, very satisfying. As I was departing I nosily asked if her partner rode at all. Nope, can't, so he's next! And so the snowball rolls......

Boab

Post by Boab »

This morning's ride was brought to me by the colour green...

Verena

Post by Verena »

summittoppler wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:26 am Newborough and Llanddwyn Island are a must visit for you when you go to Anglesey.
Thank you Jeff, both on my itinery, as is Parys mountain :-bd
Hitting the road later this morning 😁
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:00 pm "Lost of new tracks and trails" - Freudian typo there Ben :wink: . Best way to tackle them I reckon :-bd .

Just back from a ten mile ride to the next town, to help a lady beginner get going on a bike. Got her 6-year old daughter mobile a couple of weeks ago and now she's whizzing around all over the place enjoying her freedom. So much so that she's refusing to get in the car to go to school! (A ridiculous few hundred yards as her mother sheepishly admitted). So - mum has to learn as well :grin: . Had four sessions now and is almost there. I must admit I didn't make it easy for her (or me) by lending her a heavy old folder with small wheels. But she's a convert now as well - job done, very satisfying. As I was departing I nosily asked if her partner rode at all. Nope, can't, so he's next! And so the snowball rolls......
Most excellent Sir 👌