Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Todays ride

Post by RIP »

Not quite as spectacular as Dinorwig but it pleased me - short trip to the other side of town to collect some saplings from my pal Mad Victoria. Will plant them down by the river tomorrow. The mini-forest in my trailer got some satisfyingly baffled glances from the Normals.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:04 pm
RIP wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:49 pm PS. I really do need to go and have a look at the pumped storage surge pool which I can see on your map. It would be fun to be standing there when they let the water rip. Still very pissed orf that typhoons/thunderstorms zapped my visit last summer at the eleventh hour. Mebbe this year..
It's not when they let the water rip, it's for when they shut things down and the force of the water causes a massive reverse surge. From memory it's actually quite hard to see into it as the security fence is well back from the edge, understandably as it's shaped like the horn of a trumpet and you really, really wouldn't want to fall in it :shock:
Well I've just spent a happy half hour reading an IET document about the ins and outs of the hydraulics characteristics etc of hydroelectric systems :smile: . Beats watching the telly. Talking of which it's Line Of Duty in 10 minutes. I know which one I find far and away easiest to understand what's going on :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

:grin: :grin: ....line of duty is good but very confusing :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:07 pm
I set out to grab a few VeloViewer squares, but also to ascertain the rideability of a short section between two "dead end" tracks in an out-of-the-way part of Ardverickie estate. The day started badly. I'd ridden away from the van only to remembers that I'd left my phone behind. I backtracked, grabbed the phone and set off again. Little more than 15 minutes in, I also realised I'd not packed much in the way of snacks. I knew there was plenty in the van, but I couldn't be arsed going back yet again.
Good one Colin
I did that a couple of years back but the other way round (and you will have passed my ace September 2020 bivvy spot.) Nav is a bit easier the other way as you are lead down to a side burn which links to the main Alt Cam (the westbound one!) just up from the crossing point. I did of course cover this route in my Ben Alder bike rides blog :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:25 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:07 pm
I set out to grab a few VeloViewer squares, but also to ascertain the rideability of a short section between two "dead end" tracks in an out-of-the-way part of Ardverickie estate. The day started badly. I'd ridden away from the van only to remembers that I'd left my phone behind. I backtracked, grabbed the phone and set off again. Little more than 15 minutes in, I also realised I'd not packed much in the way of snacks. I knew there was plenty in the van, but I couldn't be arsed going back yet again.
Good one Colin
I did that a couple of years back but the other way round (and you will have passed my ace September 2020 bivvy spot.) Nav is a bit easier the other way as you are lead down to a side burn which links to the main Alt Cam (the westbound one!) just up from the crossing point. I did of course cover this route in my Ben Alder bike rides blog :grin:
Yep - I caught the blog after the link was posted here. You definitely did it the "easier" way, though I reckon I got the better descent. What I could have done with was detailed satellite imagery of the peat hags so I didn't have to weave around so many :-) I've looked since and I can see the burn you mention. Should I ever return, I'll know to aim for that.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Went out for a ride, with Butcher (the bike) and my little monkey. Got some shots in the footy park whilst we kicked his ball about.

Thought I'd explore the forks and their bounce-ability. Managed to ride down this with breaking my teeth. So that was a bonus..

Ultimately I wanted to ride both these slabs in the same drop. The 140mm forks would handle em nicely but being rigid and back to alu (why do people still ride that stuff :o) I really needed to protect them beautiful teeth. Or else dentist wouldn't be happy and nor would my little boy trying to resuscitate me when he should be kicking about his ball.

Managed to ride the top one but it's riding em both that's slightly more fun. Sad, I know.. my mtb skills are poor. Did the main big one a few times without connecting the lower (next to front wheel both can be seen).

Then after a few more rounds of the park and steps here and there, dropper down and I finally just went for it. Almost knocked my fillings loose but managed to hold it together. Didn't shimmy too much :o

THE END (for now).

Stan (the Sonder): RIP
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

First ride on the single speed since I put the 34/18 back on last weekend, it's had the 32/18 on it since last summer I think, I lower it for loaded use and didn't swap it back.

I learnt several things on the ride:

The extra 2 teeth certainly make a difference to the flat cruising speed :smile:
The extra 2 teeth also make a difference to how hard the hills are :sad:
Riding the lower ratio for the last 6 months has made me soft.

And most importantly, when Jane messages me to say it's gone dark where she was and they had a massive hail storm that I should take a waterproof. Fortunately by the time it got to me it was now rain, but still at the temperature of ice falling from the sky :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Verena

Post by Verena »

Finally! Up to The Gap, and a detour to Fan Y Big, just to make Reg jealous :lol:
I would've take my friend Myfanwy, but she was busy (not true, I have no such friend, just thought it would be funny..)
ImageIMG_20210430_100307 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210430_102032 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210430_104749 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210430_111205 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Once at the Gap, I hiked a bike, then abandoned a bike, then just hiked to the top of Fan y Big. It was just too hard, and pointless, to carry on slugging up those steps with a heavy bike. I'm sure there would've been an easier, grassier way up, but I was very aware of erosion on those poor mountains which get trodden by the masses all the time....Had a nice chat with a lady on holiday who was also walking up the same way - felt like I owed her some sort of explanation for my strange behaviour of carrying a bike then just dumping it :grin: Fine views up there, it's been a few years since I've been up there
ImageIMG_20210430_111458 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210430_111812 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210430_113635 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210430_113744 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210430_113750 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Potential bivvy spot??
ImageIMG_20210430_113910 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
On my way down the other side, made a little detour to what's left of the Upper Neuadd resrvoir, which as I remembered was one of my VWE grid references from my original partner
ImageIMG_20210430_121440 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Obligatory log pile pic
ImageIMG_20210430_122941 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
And that lovely loooong gravel descent to Talybont reservoir, always a pleasure
ImageIMG_20210430_130050 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
From Aber, another detour into a charming side valley, which would have taken me to my last remaining VWE GRs. A stiff climb up, past a tumbledown cottage complete with wood smoke and an equally tumble down, friendly dog coming to say hello, led to a more open area with the most beautiful bivvy spots. Right at the end of the tarmac, when I'd done all the hard work, and just before the crossing to the other side of the valley where the GR is, I decided to head back the way I came, and leave it for another time, approach from the other side and have a bivvy there. I was also aware that my already ropey bottom bracket was by now sounding and feeling even rougher, and I wondered at what it would seize, fall out, break or whatever it is that bottom brackets do when they don't want to be BBs any more?
Pit stop in Talybont, of course, has to be done. I virtuously resisted the cakes and opted instead for a fried egg sandwich. I was of course immediately rewarded for such near saintliness by the completely predictable exploding egg yolk dribbling all down my front :roll:
And back home along the canal :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

And that lovely loooong gravel descent to Talybont reservoir, always a pleasure
Is that the bit that was on the BB200? I'd perceived it as flat; no wonder my legs felt so bad.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:55 am flat
1 in 38 for 7 miles :wink: . One of the steepest long railway gradients in the UK. Coincidentally down from the highest tunnel on the (ex) railway network at Torpantau at 1313' - doubly unlucky for some? <end of factoids>

Boab

Post by Boab »

Went out for a post BaM ride, mainly to get a few kilometres into the legs. It took me longer to drink my coffee than anticipated, so the fog and mist had mostly lifted by the time I headed out.

I'd gone out in full leg warmers, Roubaix bibs, full winter jacket, ski-gloves, and a buff under the helmet, so obviously I was stripping off after half an hour as the sun beat down. the clear blue skies didn't last, so I was glad of the winter weight layers when it was behind various cloud banks.

Even though I still had the 32mm Terenno Zero tyres on, I decided to was dry enough to head off road. Christ on a bike, how I have all my fillings still in my teeth I'll never know. I'm putting last years Gravel King SKs back on as a priority and changing my savings space from Bikepacking to Lauf Forks. The juddering and shuddering indiced headache couldn't distract from admiring all the flowers out along the verges though, lovely.

Fantastic to be back out on two wheels again. I might even plan a few bivvy routes for this month...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

K1100T wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:38 pm Went out for a post BaM ride,

Great pictures, especially those looking down the track with blue skies... :-bd

Better too warm & then strip off, than too cold and Nowt extra to put on... :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:58 am
1 in 38 for 7 miles :wink: . One of the steepest long railway gradients in the UK. Coincidentally down from the highest tunnel on the (ex) railway network at Torpantau at 1313' - doubly unlucky for some? <end of factoids>
So I ride over a great big mountain range, and the only comments I get is about the downhill roll afterwards ?!? :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:33 pm
RIP wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:58 am
So I ride over a great big mountain range, and the only comments I get is about the downhill roll afterwards ?!? :wink:

That's BBB for you :smile: . Actually I was only wondering how Chris could think it was flat :wink: .

I was idly contemplating what one's terminal velocity would be on that downhill if you just took the brakes off and rolled. I know the equation but couldn't be bothered to plug the figures in. Certainly probably fast enough to skim you over the roof of the Star, across the river and the A40, and leave you somewhat concertina'd against the slopes of Allt yr Esgair :grin: .

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:43 pm Actually I was only wondering how Chris could think it was flat :wink:

A strong headwind maybe??

I was idly contemplating what one's terminal velocity would be on that downhill if you just took the brakes off and rolled. I know the equation but couldn't be bothered to plug the figures in. Certainly probably fast enough to skim you over the roof of the Star, across the river and the A40, and leave you somewhat concertina'd against the slopes of Allt yr Esgair :grin: .
Me and my daughter (or is my daughter and I??) raced each other car versus bike once, she on the bike minus any fear, and I only just won :lol:

Would be shame to fly over the Star and miss out on a pint or ten...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Me and my daughter (or is my daughter and I??) raced each other car versus bike once, she on the bike minus any fear, and I only just won :lol:
That's a much simpler equation than the one I had :smile:
Would be shame to fly over the Star and miss out on a pint or ten...
Amen to that. Mine's a Double Dragon please :wink: .

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Didn’t see a sole out today :shock: Where does everyone go to on a bank holiday? Obviously not south of Moel Famau :-bd
Attachments
E71582D9-E841-455F-93F5-2986692C27E5.jpeg
E71582D9-E841-455F-93F5-2986692C27E5.jpeg (152.46 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well todays and yesterdays - Just back from two days and 300k round the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park. Now drinking beer, shortly I'm going to sleep for 12 hours :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

thought i would have a go at the Dales Divide. alas some things are not meant to be.
i started feeling a bit iffy on thursday. tight chest, headache. but woke yesterday morning feel ok so thought i would give it a go

had a chat with Karl Booth at the start, which was nice. listened to some nice words about Mike Hall, which was very nice, and then we were off.
withing 300 yards i was blowing out of my arse, and tasting blood. not a good sign. what followed was a 12 hour death march through some of the best cycling landscape the UK has to off. just lovely

my aim was to ride 100 miles, but i was fubar by the rime i got round Malham Tarn so decided to take the quickest way back to Summerbrige where i was planning to sleep.
the last 2 miles i rode before calling for help took me a hour.
my wife rescued me from Pateley Bridge.
full on virus now i think. hacking cough, splitting headache and dripping in sweat............ ace.

feel very dissapointed for failing. but i still had a great day out i suppose.
live to fight another day...... :lol: :lol:
Attachments
1619866780781.jpg
1619866780781.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
Verena

Post by Verena »

Get well soon
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Thanks everyone for posting up their ride reports. I love reading them

Very impressive ride, Verena. You're lucky to have that on your doorstep

Ton, get well soon
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:43 pmActually I was only wondering how Chris could think it was flat
I think by this stage, anything that didn't immediately reduce me to my lowest gear was mentally classified as "flat".
Anything that didn't immediately reduce me to pushing was "rolling".
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Went up on to Denton Moor above Ilkley. So dry it were dusty! Thought I might have got two errant VV squares but ended up getting just the one :|

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Went out to do a great 18 mile loop of Moel Hebog but after 30 minutes I knew I wasn't up to it it due to a few too many beers yesterday. So plan B involved some mooching around Beddgelert forest. Very nice it was too.

ImageIMG_20210502_141936_351 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210502_141936_375 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Snowdon, sorry Y Wyddfa in the cloud :wink:
ImageIMG_20210502_141936_329 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Coffee at Llyn Llewellyn
Image20210502_123736 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Sometimes just having a small ride to soak in the scenery is all it takes :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Verena

Post by Verena »

benp1 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:43 am Very impressive ride, Verena. You're lucky to have that on your doorstep
Yes, very lucky indeed, and I appreciate it too....

Impressive mountains and views, yes, but not impressive riding on my part....

Which leads me to a very stupid but very honest question: There's something I'm doing wrong, what is it?

Whenever I get to somewhere with bigger and/or loose rocks, my bike just bounces and bucks and kicks out from under me (there's probably a proper mountainbike term for that....) - which when going downhill is scary; when going uphill makes it near impossible to keep balance and momentum going; and even when going flat takes masses of concentration and effort. So I end up doing a lot of pushing, like up to the Gap, and on Sarn Helen (though it was somewhat reassuring to read on once of those recent links on here that someone said Sarn Helen was rough so fat bike recommended...).

Is it just strength, fitness, skill and experience?

Or is it my bike - do I need bigger tyres, softer tyres, more suspension? Or is it a bit of all of the above? I guess there's a reason why posh mountain bikes and fat bikes exist?

As you can see I ride a 20 year old hard tail which has forks of some sort that do a bit but not much. And I must admit I take the same approach to air in tyres as I do to food :oops: : always pack in a bit extra "just in case" :oops:

Any pointers much appreciated.....ta