Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Todays ride

Post by redefined_cycles »

Amazing pics up there. Thanks for sharing... Bob, congrats... I know the feeling
Boab

Post by Boab »

Popped out for a short ride this morning before work. It was a touch parky, with lots of ice on the road. Saw three hunting Barn Owls, two Kestrals, two Muntajc, a Red Kite, all sorts. Oh, the sunrise wasn't too shabby either. Magic.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I went out of my comfort zone today and went on a local bike shop’s ‘gravel’ ride. It’s fair to say that everyone else was much fitter / faster than me and I wore myself out trying to go faster than normal so ended up with leg cramps and bailed early when I knew I was only 4 miles of road or so from home. I think should stick to bimbling
atk

Post by atk »

Slowly getting back into it.

PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Just a short ride while my daughter was at a 7th birthday party. Mostly trying out the new front end on my bike... Rigid forks, 4" the and Richey kyote bars (thanks ton). I'd been using the fat front with my usual bars and wasn't really sure about it but the wiggly bars make it great!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A short ride up on to the local hill, just 12km. Still really windy and pretty cold because of that.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Boab

Post by Boab »

Out of my comfort zone today, and went for a ride with other people😱 It was the ADVNTR.cc x Phoenix Cycleworks gravel ride and I had a great time. Got to met some new people, got to ride some new, to me, trails, got to ride in the mud and slog into a headwind.

I'd already decided that I wanted to try and get at least 150km in for the day, so started by heading in the wrong direction, into the wind. 54km later, I arrived a bit early, due to being blown along by said wind, not that I was complaining.

The group was small, which was nice, so I managed to say hello to everyone and ask where they were from. Normally I'd just hang around in a corner, but I tried to make an effort to chat and whatnot. The last leg was a slog into the headwind, so I let everyone else steam off into the distance. I was conscious that I still had a ways to go and was burning too many matches as it was; I had 96km on the GPS when we finished.

After, another, coffee and some flapjack it was time to head home. I decided to modify my route due to the headwind, but still had to grovel for what seemed like hours into it. I took some, new to me, back roads, which were nice and quiet, with moss down the middle, my kind of road, I'll definitely ride those again. (These photos are not of that road)

I'm now off the beer for a bit, so have been rehydrating with abandon this afternoon. After 161km, I think I can handle the extra calories... 🍻

Boab

Post by Boab »

Decided to cycle commute today. Lovely ride in; watching the sunrise trough some trees; a gentle breeze, for a change; and only having to shout at one idiot coach weaving all over the path next to the river.

The ride home, on the other hand, can 🤬 off, and once it's 🤬'd off, it can 🤬 off a bit more!

Went to check out a potential bivvy spot for later in the month; it was underwater. Picked up a front puncture on the clarty as 🤬 bridleway getting to it, but as it was a nice view, I fixed the puncture rather than putting in the spare inner tube. A couple of miles later it was obvious that the front was deflating again, so I stopped on one of the new A14 flyovers and tried to pump it up. Obviously the pump removed the valve core, so I just switched the inner tubes thinking that would be easier. By the time I'd put the tools away, it was obvious that the new inner tube was also deflating. I retraced to the Shell garage at Fenstanton, on the basis that it was bright and would have a water tap.

I cleaned the tyre, no obvious thorns or flints, couldn't find the puncture though, so just pumped it back up and headed off again, with the aim being Cambridge and the office. As it was only slowly going down, I managed to get to Madingley Mulch before it became too much effort to pedal, so pumped it up again. I had to stop at Mitchum's Corner as well, as I was border line running on the rim, which meant it was deflating faster. Once at work, I got both inner tubes into the sink, found punctures in different places, which was surprising. So I washed the tyre outside and in, again, no obvious signs of thorns or flints. So in went one of the newly patched inner tubes and I headed straight back home; along my old cycle commute route.

My current theory, is that some sort of grit got into the tyre from my disposable gloves when I was originally looking for the source of the first puncture. I didn't notice, but whatever was there, was just enough to puncture both tubes, hence why they had holes in different places. I did notice there was some mud in the tyre when I was switching them on the flyover, and made an effort to get rid of it. Or I could've just been unlucky... 🤷‍♂️

RIP

Post by RIP »

Can't match any of those lovely pics. Just been riverside, 'Sandy Path', road, woods, country park, woods, road, track, lane, canal, old railway, road, ginnel/jitty/alley, road. Nowt special apart from first ride new chain, cassette, and now new mech as well. World of shifting difference of course, but tried not to dwell on the 100+ sovs forked over to achieve it.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Managed to get out for a couple of hours. Headed to one of my favorite places here in Snowdonia, Eigiau. I followed the old quarry workers track up to the head of the valley, Cwm Eigiau. This is where the slate quarry was which dates back to the mid 1800's so the historic vibe is something else and the mountainous setting as its surrounded by the high Carneddau mountain range. Some pics...

ImageIMG_20200308_155852_412 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200308_125258 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200308_125318 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200308_133807 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I really ought to get into Cwm Eigiau. I've climbed on Craig yr Ysfa which is the crag in the background of your first shot but that was nearly forty years ago! The approach to the crag is from the A5 via Ffynnon Llugwy to the col just above your head then descend via a gully that's the next dip in the skyline. So I've never been down in the floor of the cwm itself.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Yeah its a great place and well worth the visit. With reference to the first pic, there's plenty of plane wreckage in the scree slope to the right of the pic. There's 2 big pieces of the engine about the size of a washing machine.
More info: https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.u ... g-yr-ysfa/

Instagram:

YouTube:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

summittoppler wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:31 pm Yeah its a great place and well worth the visit. With reference to the first pic, there's plenty of plane wreckage in the scree slope to the right of the pic. There's 2 big pieces of the engine about the size of a washing machine.
More info: https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.u ... g-yr-ysfa/
One of the climbs I've done is Great Gully which has several bits of that plane lying in its bed. There's another crash site on the slopes of Carnedd Dafydd overlooking Cwm Lloer - https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.u ... r-ole-wen/
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

There's plenty of wrecks dotted around here. Its all a bit morbid really but its nice that they've left the wreckage in respect.

The small lake below Carnedd Llewellyn, Ffynnon Llyffant is a designated war grave. Loads of big pieces:
On a previous film:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP0xU8BpYv4&t=191s

https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.u ... -llewelyn/

Instagram:

YouTube:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Looks amazing Jeff! Can't wait to get back out there again!

I went for a ride on Saturday - two passes I've never done before and 2 passes that I have done before.

Started off with a gaggle of sheep...a murder of sheep...a boing of sheep...flock...one was obviously the boss.

Before the road pointed upwards somewhat

The first pass, Wrynose Pass.

Seamed flat so far...

I didn't take any pictures on the way up, didn't want to stop. The tops where rather foggy, roads where steep as you like.

Next pass...

Again, no pictures, no stopping, just got on with it until the top :)

Image (why thanks!)

Now for the FUN!

This was like a sub standard twinky with chocolate in...

Heading up Walna Scar

SNOW!! I haven't seen snow since May last year!! This was the top of Walna.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

redefined_cycles

K1100T wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:41 pm Popped out for a short ride this morning before work. It was a touch parky, with lots of ice on the road. Saw three hunting Barn Owls, two Kestrals, two Muntajc, a Red Kite, all sorts. Oh, the sunrise wasn't too shabby either. Magic.

Where is it that you live and where's this road please Kate... I live to see such birds

(Edit)... you know what I mean
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat... I saw that ride in Strava: you smashed it... hope you didn't ride up Hardknotts but if so then quadruple kudos
Boab

Post by Boab »

Escape Goat wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:05 am I went for a ride on Saturday - two passes I've never done before and 2 passes that I have done before.
😲 Wow, looks like an epic ride!
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 am Where is it that you live and where's this road please Kate... I live to see such birds
That particular photo was taken on Common Road on the way out of Weston Green in South Cambridgeshire. I was lucky to see another two this morning, one on the edge of my village, the other a few miles down the road. Lovely birds. Just lucky to live in the countryside... 😊

Had to curtail this morning's ride, as I picked up two punctures on the front. That makes a total of five front wheel punctures in the last week. I've got some Orange Seal in the post, if going back to tubeless doesn't solve my puncture woes (it hasn't in the past), then it's Tannus Armour for the front, to go with the one already in the rear...

redefined_cycles

Thanks v much Kate... I was thinking I might be able to ride down and hope to see even half that population you noted. But alas it's a bit too far. Although, mental note taken :smile:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:34 am Escape Goat... I saw that ride in Strava: you smashed it... hope you didn't ride up Hardknotts but if so then quadruple kudos

I rode up Hardknott and Wrynose mate :) thanks dude.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

K1100T wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:52 pm .
😲 Wow, looks like an epic ride!

[/quote]

It was a decent day out to be honest.
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:17 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:34 am Escape Goat... I saw that ride in Strava: you smashed it... hope you didn't ride up Hardknotts but if so then quadruple kudos

I rode up Hardknott and Wrynose mate :) thanks dude.
You've got legs of steel Al
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I pushed over walna though :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Just for Phil...

ImageP1060407 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1060409 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1060412 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1060415 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Not been up to Loch Eanaich since late summer. Always a favourite trip.
redefined_cycles

Escape Goat wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:21 pm I pushed over walna though :lol:
Ok... I take that back then... ya big softie :grin:

Todays ride for me... tried to ride around the perimeter of Huddersfield (from a distance, the steep way). Was feeling pretty good bout myself after my partner gave in at mile 10ish. I then continued taking pics and got to Saddleworth road. Apparently one of the longest continuous climbs (road) for miles around these ends. Got to the top and started riding down back towards Hudds. Then it happened... I caved in. Not the first time and not sure if it'll be the last but that climb is 7 miles of a gentle 5 percent and 7 percent in parts.

Got home with about 4000ft elevation in the legs over 40ish miles so thats all good. But yesterdays ride was more significant. Tried to ride the perimeter of West Yorkshire. All 160 miles and 16000ft of it. Caved in to that pretty early (4am when I turned off alarm) and ended up on the road by 1030. Twas a bit windy and I lost my light. Thats thw significant bit about the ride... Except for caving in off course.

Light was an Exposure and my main light currently. Lost my spare light previously at Bearbones200. Maybe not actually on the ride, but afterwards at some point when trying to get home in the car. Twas' a Bontrager but yesterdays was the main Exposure track/trace thingy. Not sure if it blew away or something else but it took the green luminous band from MTBbatts with it :o

As you can imagine I was pretty much stressed as that light was a £35 one and the one from BB200 was another £35ish one but at least I had the BB200 under my belt to show for it. Hence my stress yesterday!!

So the stress... Lasted for almost a minute or two but then I remembered to read:

'Indeed, to Allah we belong and to Allah we shall return'

You see usually we're (muslims) instructed to read that when we lose something and then commence a search. No way 'Hans Rey', was I gonna go back and retrace my tyre tracks. Especially since I had been using the 'BenConneli' method of riding in the wind but slightly adapted. I hadn't needed to ride into the wind and then shimmy back but rather just leaned into the wind - pavement/verge side - and it just kept me upright and 'just riding along.

Anyway, enough about the wind, as it wasn't actually that bad - as BenConnellis 'I like storms' days. Here I was making a picture pictorial of the East of West Yorkshire and my main rear light had vanished. The stress had disappeared with a little almost immediately after reading thw prayer and now plan-b was being (the word I want is lost in my head so lets judt go with) ejected. My backup light was now my main rear light so gave me a good excuse to get home sharpish: how lovely.

A few pedal strokes later (and five more hours) there I was in the kitchen at home with four slices of pizza that I'd not actually yet paid for. Was a good ride indeed and cue: its gonna be exciting looking for a new rear main light :sad:

Heres a pic for anyone that doesn't (like) read(ing) :-bd