Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Todays ride

Post by Boab »

Gorgeous morning for a bike ride...

Just over 50KM, in the same amount of time I used to do 60KM, so the fitness is still lacking...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Boab wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:22 am Just over 50KM, in the same amount of time I used to do 60KM...
Have you factored in the time for stopping and taking such lovely pictures? :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:25 am
Boab wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:22 am Just over 50KM, in the same amount of time I used to do 60KM...
Have you factored in the time for stopping and taking such lovely pictures? :-bd
Yes! Most ride are punctuated with stops to take photos, definitely not stops to catch my breath and have a rest... 😂
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Was on a late shift today so meant to cycle in. Woke up for about 8am but just turned round and went t back to sleep. Was it worth it, not sure and probably not. Shouvlde gotten up and done the 2.5h commute... but it's been 3 months almost :sad:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

More playing in the snow today, finally bagged a bluebird day after all this grey dreich. Just in my local hills but the weather up north had looked a bit ropy so I was happy with that. I'd actually been up on the skinny skis yesterday but conditions were a bit optimistic.....

Anyway, plenty big patches of snow to ride on and thanks to overnight low temps, things had firmed up nicely. Not quite crust riding but pretty good going over some patches and a few fun descents, interspersed with some sections where you were punching through the crust (most crustrating) and coming to an unceremonious halt.

A couple of years ago I did a spectacular OTB coming down this snow filled gulley when the snow collapsed under my front wheel causing it to disappear. First use of new boots was a success :-bd
redefined_cycles

Not today, but Sunday nights commute. Hadn't ridden to work for about 3 months and not ridden the road bike properly for almost 2 so was a little bit concerned and feeling intimidated at the sheer length of the ride. Thirty nice miles and a bit so decided I'd use the train station at 15 miles in Garforth. Especially since the storms have brought about flooding and there's also road closures forecasted for this week.

Got to the station in plenty of time and after looking at the digital display realised there's no York options. Highly unusual as it's not a tiny station, but after some looking about I realised there's a rail replacement service to Selby and then continue with train to York. Did I say that I'd only brought 2 ferrero rochets for the ride but plenty of water. The chocolates were those that are covered in coconut shavings.

After some contemplation but fast as I could, I messaged work apologetically and got a positive response. But still, noone likes it when you're late so the stress was on my head regardless of the sympathetic messages I'd recieved back... 'ride safely, take care', etc etc. This helped my head and I decided I'd continue by bike, especially since I've done this commute fully about 40 times over the years. So I ate a chocolate and continued.

Got to Towton and as I expected the road through Ulleskelf was closed. I'd not be risking it this time as there's some history here. Once in 2018 or 2019 I ignored the sign and tried to get through. Only giving up after the water reached my nipples with my bike raised over head. Then, saw the abandoned car fully submerged and quickly did a u turn and learnt lesson. I'd reached work in plenty of time at that time so had time for a shower.

Then in lockdown the road closure wasn't in place so I got through and past Ulleskelf station but then realised that even if I did ride through the water to Cawood, the bridge would be out of action. So had to request permission from the farmer-lady and her daughter (they came out when I was trying to walk the path outside theirs) to go through their land and prove my 'I'm a nurse'-ness with my badge. This time it wasn't happening and I took the long cut (in my head) through the back of Tadcaster.

The closed road to Ulleskelf and Cawood

It was light when I started this commute, honest

My first signs that things would be flooded up yonder. This is the horses filed at 9 miles into the commute.

So I continued, past the back of Tadcaster in he pitch black. Thankfully my lovely Exposure (Alhamdulillahi RabbilAalameen/All Praise God, Lord of the Worlds) was playing ball or else it would have really been curtains - did I say I didn't have much of a backup plan, or that it was failing badly - as I'd never brought any backup light form. Them few miles of lovely pitch black country lanes lasted forever and I cursed (no bad language) my Garmin in my head. I was manually navigating the route which I didn't know too well but each time I'd set the zoom level, undecided it would do it's own perspective.

Particularly I hated this little 0.5m icon in the bottom right corner. Couldn't see it mid-ride properly.

Eventually I got to work, just 25 mins late and apologised once again. Later one of my bosses came past and whilst we discussed my ride she had to ask, "Shafiq, so don't you drive!". So embarrassing and I didn't say too much except that I try to care for the environment with my 3L Subaru. Coming back to the 'ferrero rochet', I supposed it saved me and I ate it with 8 miles left. But almost choked on the coconut shaving so that'll never come with me ever again (I think).

Oh, and the mileage wasn't that bad afterall. Managed to self navigate and find a route totalling 38.4 miles instead of the usual 39.4. So might make it my regular in years to come and at least don't need to worry about flood diversions. Thanks for reading :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good bit of 'Adventure Commuting' there Shaf, particularly when the water reached your...err. chest (OK that was on another ride but even so) Just think you could have taken the motor and the only thing you'd have to contend with was getting stuck in traffic :-bd
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:07 pm Good bit of 'Adventure Commuting' there Shaf, particularly when the water reached your...err. chest (OK that was on another ride but even so) Just think you could have taken the motor and the only thing you'd have to contend with was getting stuck in traffic :-bd
Thanks Phil. Yes, lovely is traffic. Last time (years ago, pre Covid... noone knew ICU nurses save lives back then) I tried to get past the blocked motorway and I met an officer of the law blocking people from going via the posh(er) area. With my dyslexia and the satnav it was the only option I had - last minute agency nurse they needed at the same place before me becoming a regular - but waving my badge proudly and explaining my situation did nothing. Just looked through me and pointed :grin:

I'm hoping to have a little streak of these commutes without touching the car (3L normally aspirated AWD and fast) as it'll reduce the risk of alot of things including the traffic jams :-bd

Watch this space... Oh, and I forgot to mention the gloves and feet. Frozen they were!
redefined_cycles

Managed another little road ride today. Around Nottingham somewhere and have decided that I'll just stick with 39 milers for all my rides for the moment. Seems a decent way to ensure I don't get any overuse injury exacerbation :smile:

Got some very slight niggle at about the 35 mile mark but took it easier from thereon. Nice ride and the day was lovely for it. 2nd proper ride of the year :grin: Getting there.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Went for a steady spin around the south Dales: down to Skipton, along the canal to Gargrave, road to Hetton then up onto Boss Moor. From Gargrave to Hetton was into the wind but it was only on the climb up onto the top that its strength became apparent. I decided to curtail my plan of heading over to Kilnsey then back via Arncliff Cote and over to Settle, and took a left along Mastiles Lane - still really awkward and hard work in the wind even though it was now a side wind. Then dropped down to Malham, café stop at Airton then bridleways and lanes back home.

Fifty metres from the top of the last climb the drive side crank arm snapped off :shock:

Fortunately it was almost all downhill and on road to get home, just a further flattish 150m section I had to walk. Once I'd washed the crank off and I had a look at the break it was the tensioning bolt that had broken. The cranks are the newer style RaceFace AEffects. Need to have a closer look to see how fresh various parts of the break are, it's likely that some part of the fracture has been there a while.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Apart from poodling around town over winter, I went out a couple of times today. Once with the youngest and dog and then later on my own scouting around a wood a couple of miles from home. This was to have a nose around for a camping spot, the first of the year. Found a few places. Also picked up a puncture on the way home. Sealant didn't seal it but I'll have a go next weekend. This is the first time I've had a tubeless puncture so glad I could get home and be able to try out the techniques in comfort.

RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:12 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:28 pm Our town is being massively expanded from its eastern boundary with new housing estates and some industrial areas. We've had several previous expansions in other directions and every time have been promised "infrastructure" (shops, pubs, etc) which of course never materialises - how to bugger up a perfectly nice market town in one easy lesson. Anyway, some of us in our local "Cycle Forum" group noticed the new eastern estates were rapidly appearing (the usual balsawood-framed and cardboard-clad type of house, wouldn't touch one with a bargepole myself). There are four existing major roads running out of the town and therefore through these new estates, plus there will be a new "arc" road linking these four roads. It soon became obvious that nobody had made any effort to plan the integration of these new estates with the existing town. Along more or less the whole boundary is an existing 10' steel fence so there is no "permeability" for non-vehicular transport (ie walking and cycling). Additionally, the four main roads have no cycle tracks next to them and in one case no pavement at all on one side! So much for "sustainability". The town is cut off from the new estates and vice versa. The excuse has been "oh they were planned 15 years ago". Livid is an understatement.

We raised our observations with a number of local councillors and now all hell has broken loose. We've been asked to conduct a survey of the situation so that "someone" can make a last-minute attempt at rectifying the mess. So myself and a Forum colleague rode the whole area today and took 70 photos of blockages, cockups, fences and whatnot. However we also found nine places where some access could be created. So maybe hope is not lost and the developers will be forced to provide these access points. Of course, they say "we've done our bit with 3m paths within the estates, not our problem". Usual hand-washing bollocks. So I'm now writing the report.
Been involved in this for a good while being a Transport Planner for a few years and now Traffic Management; in my local Council. Generally we, as Councils, end up having to pick up the pieces (and get all the complaints, long after the Developer has scarpered) but with BA cash and in many cases no option due to land ownership....
Been chatting to our insider at Central Beds Council and it seems our little cat-amongst-the-pigeons report has had an effect - half a million quid has been obtained from various sources and a number of our suggestions will be implemented along with a view to looking at the other 'harder' ones afterwards. So that's rather gratifying! In fact we've been asked to do two more similar reports for the southern estates and also links to surrounding villages. I must find out how much Atkins or someone would have charged to do them :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:50 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:12 pm
RIP wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:28 pm Our town is being massively expanded from its eastern boundary with new housing estates and some industrial areas. We've had several previous expansions in other directions and every time have been promised "infrastructure" (shops, pubs, etc) which of course never materialises - how to bugger up a perfectly nice market town in one easy lesson. Anyway, some of us in our local "Cycle Forum" group noticed the new eastern estates were rapidly appearing (the usual balsawood-framed and cardboard-clad type of house, wouldn't touch one with a bargepole myself). There are four existing major roads running out of the town and therefore through these new estates, plus there will be a new "arc" road linking these four roads. It soon became obvious that nobody had made any effort to plan the integration of these new estates with the existing town. Along more or less the whole boundary is an existing 10' steel fence so there is no "permeability" for non-vehicular transport (ie walking and cycling). Additionally, the four main roads have no cycle tracks next to them and in one case no pavement at all on one side! So much for "sustainability". The town is cut off from the new estates and vice versa. The excuse has been "oh they were planned 15 years ago". Livid is an understatement.

We raised our observations with a number of local councillors and now all hell has broken loose. We've been asked to conduct a survey of the situation so that "someone" can make a last-minute attempt at rectifying the mess. So myself and a Forum colleague rode the whole area today and took 70 photos of blockages, cockups, fences and whatnot. However we also found nine places where some access could be created. So maybe hope is not lost and the developers will be forced to provide these access points. Of course, they say "we've done our bit with 3m paths within the estates, not our problem". Usual hand-washing bollocks. So I'm now writing the report.
Been involved in this for a good while being a Transport Planner for a few years and now Traffic Management; in my local Council. Generally we, as Councils, end up having to pick up the pieces (and get all the complaints, long after the Developer has scarpered) but with BA cash and in many cases no option due to land ownership....
Been chatting to our insider at Central Beds Council and it seems our little cat-amongst-the-pigeons report has had an effect - half a million quid has been obtained from various sources and a number of our suggestions will be implemented along with a view to looking at the other 'harder' ones afterwards. So that's rather gratifying! In fact we've been asked to do two more similar reports for the southern estates and also links to surrounding villages. I must find out how much Atkins or someone would have charged to do them :wink: .
Good effort Reg, keep up the good work. Atkins would have charged c£50k and then F.I.U
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta! I'll put in for 49 then, they should be pleased with a 1k saving :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:22 pm Good effort Reg, keep up the good work. Atkins would have charged c£50k and then F.I.U
Have they got a sale on :lol: I've never known them do anything for less than £100k in my industry :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

First 100 miler of the year today. The plan had been to do one a month but that flew out the window in January so I'll try and do a few doubles to ensure I've 12 under my belt by the year end. Anyway it was a pleasant trundle around fair Fife with the easterly providing a generous tailwind on the way back. With 8k to go I realised I was going to be 5k short of the century so threw in an extra loop (and another huge climb) to hit the magic 100. Oh and it was totally dry which makes a change this year.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

My morning ride to Hale lighthouse

redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:16 pm First 100 miler of the year today. The plan had been to do one a month but that flew out the window in January so I'll try and do a few doubles to ensure I've 12 under my belt by the year end. Anyway it was a pleasant trundle around fair Fife with the easterly providing a generous tailwind on the way back. With 8k to go I realised I was going to be 5k short of the century so threw in an extra loop (and another huge climb) to hit the magic 100. Oh and it was totally dry which makes a change this year.
Nice one Phil. I had planned to do 65 or 100 (meaning it would come to either 100km or miles) but the old knee didn't recover in time. Anyway, I'm in mate and will try and cover the lost few months aswell :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Not today's ride, but Saturdays....didn't manage to write about it yesterday, what can I say, busy weekend... yesterday started with a skype call to Australia at 6am, and ended with a drag cabaret in a gay nightclub in Cardiff and getting home nearer midnight...but that's a whole other story...

Saturday I not only took part in our Brecon tri club social ride, but I organised it (not that there's much organising to do, pick a date, time, meeting place, stick an event on facebook, post a nice route, get that changed by someone else who is worried that mine was a bit too rough on the posh bikes as on small back lanes :roll: ) - really enjoyed myself!

ImageIMG_20220312_193958 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Luckily I was with fellow cake lovers.... check out the impressive moustache of the guy at the far end on the right - more impressive in real life!

ImageIMG-20220312-WA0002 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Made me realize how much I have grown in confidence over the last year - some of you may remember that about this time last year I was full of self doubt and negative thinking about riding with anyone else, so I never did.... then a first tentative ride with a work colleague, then a tri club social ride where I discovered how nice and patient people are, and then of course followed a wonderful summer of bikepacking and riding with a good few of you from here - you know who you are: the Gower gang, the Pontscethin gang, the brief rude places tour gang, the winter event....

So thank you to each and every one of you who helped me along the way to now feel much more confident, and being able to just enjoy riding bikes with other people :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:00 am
fatbikephil wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:16 pm First 100 miler of the year today. The plan had been to do one a month but that flew out the window in January so I'll try and do a few doubles to ensure I've 12 under my belt by the year end. Anyway it was a pleasant trundle around fair Fife with the easterly providing a generous tailwind on the way back. With 8k to go I realised I was going to be 5k short of the century so threw in an extra loop (and another huge climb) to hit the magic 100. Oh and it was totally dry which makes a change this year.
Nice one Phil. I had planned to do 65 or 100 (meaning it would come to either 100km or miles) but the old knee didn't recover in time. Anyway, I'm in mate and will try and cover the lost few months aswell :-bd
Good one, we need to keep reminding each other!
redefined_cycles

fatbikephil wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:31 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:00 am
Good one, we need to keep reminding each other!
Yes. Am definitely in for this Phil. Watch this space. First ride coming shortly and definitely needed something to encourage me to get out there. :smile:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Here's a pic from Sundays ride in Beddgelert forest.
The western side of Snowdon is in the background in the cloud. It was a wild day!
Image20220313_131655 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220313_131635 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Boab

Post by Boab »

No today, but yesterday. Had to use up some holiday before the end of the month, so have taken the next three Friday's off. I was planning on staring at a breadboard trying to make weird noises, but realised that it was a good opportunity to get some miles into the legs before the WRT. While the forecast was for a pleasant day, I awoke to find a proper pea soup outside. So instead of heading out at 06:30, we rolled out of the driveway at 08:30, just after the fog had burned off in the village.

While the village was clear, the rest of the surrounding countryside wasn't, and we were soon plunged into the cold water vapour. Cue lots of wiping of glasses and thanks for wearing warmer clothing.

The fog didn't stand a chance though, and was soon burnt off, although the air temperature was still on the chilly side, especially on what passes for a downhill around here. It was shaping up to be glorious and I'd initially planed a 160KM route, but was having second thoughts, as I have cycled that kind of distance since my aborted BB200 attempt last October. Rather than sticking to one of the three routes I'd mapped out, I turned the navigation on the Wahoo off and just rode around trying to remember where all the roads went, as it's not like I haven't been down them all before.

I did get a few junctions mixed up though and at one point, ended up faced with a couple of miles of a major A road, so I beated a swift retreat and found a different route. Due to these slight miscalculations, my distance was also getting to the point where it would be close to 160KM, but not quite. So it was time to bite the bullet and ensure we popped over the mark. The first bad junction choice also meant I'd run out of water well before my expected first resupply point, and my legs were not too happy about the lack of electrolytes being ingested. Thankfully I spotted a tap on the side of a pub, and managed to quench my thirst, although the damage had been done, and I really struggled on the last forty or kilometres.

As the main point of this ride was to get miles in the legs in preparation for the WRT, it seemed sensible to get some practice in raiding a SPAR...

The only real issue came at around 135KM or so. I was making my way down a single track back road and had pulled over to let a car passed. They stopped and informed me that the road was closed and I'd probably have to turn around. After they'd riven off, I pushed off, but the pedals wouldn't turn, stomping on them just cause the chain to skip and jam, so I quickly stopped, least I ripped the derailleur off like I did last spring. After five minutes of swearing, I suddenly realised that the bottom jockey wheel was jammed and not turning, so I took it off to see what was wrong. It was pretty obvious what was wrong the moment the jockey wheel was out of the cage, as one of the bearing plates was deformed and you could see some of the ball bearings inside had attempted to escape. I didn't realise that the GRX jockey wheels even had proper bearings, I just though they were those shitty push fit jobs. After ejecting all the balls, including the ones that had jammed solid, I put the plates back on the jockey wheel and fitted it into the cage, crossed my fingers and continued.

I bought a load of lovely Garbaruk kit last year, that I was planning on fitting t the start of next month in preparation for the WRT. So slightly unamused that I'm going to have to find a replacement jockey wheel for the next few weeks running around on the road.

We finally made it back home, slightly the worse for wear, as the legs had been making all sorts of announcements about impending physical breakdown. I started the ride with knee warms, a full windproof jacket, winter gloves and a headband. I finished with pretty much everything in my jersey pockets, drenched in sweat. It was definitely one of those days where you really needed to carry three outfits, as you were a bit too cold at the start, but a bit too warm in the middle of the afternoon. It was great to get out and get a long ride in though, and I'm now wondering which direction to head in next Friday for more of the same...

https://www.strava.com/activities/6843656520
Distance: 164.71km
Moving time: 6:51:48
Elevation: 1,281m
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

With a lovely day forecast I decided to head over the hills to Semer Water.

An early start meant that the canal tow path was quiet, once at Gargrave a bit of road got me onto the tops above Threshfield and a fast drop down to Kilnsey. More road to Buckden and joining up with the YD300 route. I didn't manage to clean Raikes Wood but the climb up onto Stake Moss wasn't too bad and I could find a solid line through the loose material. Stake Moss has an isolated feel, you don't see any of the valleys so it seems like the plateau extends to the horizon.

From the point that you leave the YD300 route there's no need to pedal until you reach the beck feeding Semer Water. There is a very rough track down to Stalling Busk, full suss definitely useful! Once at the beck the track leads in and out of the beck:

You can avoid all the wet bits so all's good. There then followed a steep road and an equally steep BW to join up with the Roman Road out of Bainbridge. I'd not been on this before and it would be better in the other direction. The line on the plateau was pleasant singletrack.

Back on the YD300 route again I stopped at the top of the Roman Road for lunch managing to find a spot in the sun and out of the wind. Over to Cam Head being pushed along by the increasing wind. Ingleborough ahead:

Down to Horton and the café at Studfold Farm:

I was now heading into the wind and it was really hard going, some sections taking twice as long as I usually take. Even dropping down the Cove Road into Malham needed some pedalling. BWs to Bell Busk and Gargrave stopping where a friend died of cardiac arrest whilst out riding.

I was getting twinges of cramp now so eased up a bit. Roads lead up and over to home with a view of the skyline I'd been beyond.

Got home with 121km and 2500m on the clock.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks a good day out Bob. The BW from the Countersett to Burtersett road was my route back to Hawes from various circuits done when my folks had a caravan there and it is a nice one. I also thought it would make a good descent but never managed to contrive a route to do it that way..... Theoretically the track from close to where it meets the Cam road down to Marsett is a goer but its ROW status is questionable. You used to see trail bikes using it many moons ago so it may have been a UCR at one point but the last time I was there signs were saying it was a FP only.