Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: Todays ride

Post by ledburner »

C2WFH which event is that.?
The Interweb is full of code words and double as peak. :shock: :grin: looked at the inter Web Goggles didnt help :grin:
Do I read that as CCWFH or C'two'WFH.
And I getting old :roll: :lol:
Ps it looks like a, loverly ride...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:46 pm You're mental :lol:
Eh? Don't say that, I'm supposed to be riding with him on Wednesday!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ledburner wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:56 pm C2WFH which event is that.?
The Interweb is full of code words and double as peak. :shock: :grin: looked at the inter Web Goggles didnt help :grin:
It's what ordinary folk call a "commute". Now, that may be a whole 7 characters but at least it's only 2 syllables. That makes it much easier for those of us who have to read the text out loud... :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:01 pm
Reg... Dont go with him. He might allow you slippery slide into a freezing canal off the towpath :lol: (but maybe that's less mental than sliding into traffic on an ungritted road :smile: )
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:15 pm
ledburner wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:56 pm C2WFH which event is that.?
It's what ordinary folk call a "commute". Now, that may be a whole 7 characters but at least it's only 2 syllables. That makes it much easier for those of us who have to read the text out loud... :lol:
It's an event that happens every morning, sometimes preceded by a bivi. :shock: :lol:

Yes, its commuting: but that's soooooo last year, daaaling :ugeek: .

Whereas "cycling: to work from home" , or "cycling-to-work; from home" is so du jour. And unnecessary: which is good for bewildering colleagues :lol: .

It sets me up for a day on MS Teams and helps me realise "It's only 3 hours until lunch" :-bd .
May you always have tail wind.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:05 pm
RIP wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:01 pm
Reg... Dont go with him. He might allow you slippery slide into a freezing canal off the towpath :lol: (but maybe that's less mental than sliding into traffic on an ungritted road :smile: )
Reg is prepared... :wink:
redefined_cycles

MS teams :???:

C2WFH I could do that. I always Try not to chicken out of my C2WFH but it sounds so boring and I find myself not wanting to share my amazing experience (erm... of waking up for 0330ish and then spending 3 hours trying to get there in 2.5 :smile: such sad and boring lives us C2WFH folks live)
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've been missing my C2WFH&BA these last few weeks. I decided that discretion was the better part of valour since it's been snowy and/or icy up here pretty much since just before the festive break and I don't want to risk a crash on unseen ice while riding in the dark. Happily the conditions have been very suitable for my fat bike during my days off though so I've been able to CFFFH. :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:22 pm
C2WFH I could do that. I always Try not to chicken out of my C2WFH but it sounds so boring and I find myself not wanting to share my amazing experience (erm... of waking up for 0330ish and then spending 3 hours trying to get there in 2.5 :smile: such sad and boring lives us C2WFH folks live)
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:47 pm Thanks Bridget. Good reminder for the Not Far, No Gnar, No Car thingy... message to self

:|
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:33 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:22 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:47 pm Thanks Bridget. Good reminder for the Not Far, No Gnar, No Car thingy... message to self

:|
Lol... that sounds like a contradiction. Its my commute to work Colin. Properly refined and dialled in. I need to get there and believe it or not, the 40 miles done in bike is technically safer than doing it on car. Obviously during these freezing days I've been going via car :o

[Edit] But I get your point... I should close my trap and just ride my bike or not ride it and leave the opinions on STW :lol: ... trap firmly and properly shut :smile:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

:lol: :lol:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

CTWFH this morning :grin: The forecast was for snow overnight so I packed some extra layers in a bar bag to take with me, Jane wondered what I was doing that for but as I said then, I have enough luggage and clothing to open reasonable sized shop so I may as well take some with me in case, no point being cold and having warm layers at home.

Disappointing lack of snow on opening the curtains this morning but apparently there was more in Newport. I went the off-road way to avoid any snow and ice covered roads but in hindsight they were probably safer as they would have been gritted and I was avoiding frozen puddles but all good fun.

The snow was a let down, it was more like a dusting of icing sugar on a victoria sponge* than the hoped for winter wonderland, more Great British Bake off than Safety to Nome :lol: The garmin said it was 1.2 degrees by my feet would say otherwise. Still, much better than driving and no matter how much snow we get during the day I'm guaranteed to make it home as I'm not reliant on the council keeping the roads clear. The previous account here used to head home in a panic at the sight the first flake in case he couldn't get home :lol:

* Cake reference for Reg :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Deleted double post :oops: .
Last edited by MuddyPete on Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

More chillaxed commuting micro-excitement (CCME) this a.m. to check on the crops. They've multiplied overnight :lol:. Must see how they are tomorrow :-).

Slow start today: no one else around and even the sun struggled to get out of bed #:-S.

And no sheep were worried in the making of this bimble o:-) .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLEeUYzlCiV ... 2t2d02phi1
Verena

Post by Verena »

MuddyPete wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:55 pm More chillaxed commuting micro-excitement (CCME) this a.m. to check on the crops. They've multiplied overnight :lol:. Must see how they are tomorrow :-).

Slow start today: no one else around and even the sun struggled to get out of bed #:-S.

And no sheep were worried in the making of this bimble o:-) .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLEeUYzlCiV ... 2t2d02phi1
Looks beautiful...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Thanks V :grin: .

Icicle Watch day 3: bone dry, -3°C and very still. Great sunrise and the mud's like concrete :-bd .

A fast, but icy X_X , blast down the sandy bridleway from the woods to Paper Mill. A great start to the day.
Forecast -9°C tonight :shock: .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLGxNCElwsT ... drzqlbtc41
RIP

Post by RIP »

Tempted to BaM tonight with those temps but at inlaws most of the day today and my folks tomorrow, sigh. Fingers crossed for weekend low temps.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Another brisk run down the narrow sandy bridleway from the woods to Paper Mill, weaving across the ribbon of ice like a two-wheeled bobsleigh X_X.

Icicle Watch day 4: -5°C overnight prompted additional growth. The canal was frozen, but not quite enough to stand or ride on :roll: .

No T-shirt today: just 2 fleece and a windproof meant I was less clammy and therefore warmer :-).

Roll-on tomorrow's C2WFH :-bd .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLKIP_VFq86 ... 6gy0bfmmcx
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Final day of Icicle Watch - scuppered by hooliganism :sad: .

Lovely sunrise, though :cool:.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLM-8whl5hg ... cb8em6oc14
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Week 8 of snow.

Finding good tracks has sometimes been a bit problematic as the more popular ones are now packed down with footfall and very, very icy. I bit of overnight wind did, however, promise a bit of powder so I rode down to Glen Feshie and had a real blast. Snow was mostly firm and crunchy, with the occasional wind-blown patch to ride through.

It was one of those days when riding back home seemed such a waste.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Lots of smiles per mile this morning. Pretty gentle terrain, riding cautiously around the mini ice rinks. The world seemed quite slow, chilled out, friendly...

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Out on the fat bikes today. Chuffin' freezing! About -5C on the tops but an absolute gale from the east.

The canal had a bit of a skin ...

Barden Moor was icy rather than snowy. We decided to go with the wind, some were riding the other way which just looked hard work. Never seen this bit iced up before:

A bit more snow once you got higher but it was very patchy, I think the low temps and high winds have just stripped it away.

Didn't let up on the descent either, about half the length of the track was sheet ice so we mostly just rode across the fields to the side!

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Verena

Post by Verena »

Landslide wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:20 pm Lots of smiles per mile this morning. Pretty gentle terrain, riding cautiously around the mini ice rinks. The world seemed quite slow, chilled out, friendly...

That's how it should be...sounds nice...I couldn't quite face a ride this morning, sooo cold...I know I'll regret that tomorrow when the rain is back..
Verena

Post by Verena »

MuddyPete wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:39 pm Another brisk run down the narrow sandy bridleway from the woods to Paper Mill, weaving across the ribbon of ice like a two-wheeled bobsleigh X_X.

Icicle Watch day 4: -5°C overnight prompted additional growth. The canal was frozen, but not quite enough to stand or ride on :roll: .

No T-shirt today: just 2 fleece and a windproof meant I was less clammy and therefore warmer :-).

Roll-on tomorrow's C2WFH :-bd .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLKIP_VFq86 ... 6gy0bfmmcx
So explain the C2WFH idea to me again? Pretend to cycle to work Inge morning even though working from home I presume? I might try getting into that, only the other side of town but I can always go the scenic route....now that there's a bit of daylight and beautiful sunrises to be had...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

C2WFH - Yup, basically it's just going for a ride before work (from home) :lol: .

Before "Lockdown 1" the main reason for going into the office was for the C2W :wink: . A week-or-so into lockdown 1 the evening rides were interfering with family time, so I started going out before work and have done so ever since. Works well for me and sets me up until lunchtime :-).

Fortunately, the "interesting" part of my commute is closer to home than it is to the office, so I get longer to play in the good stuff. Win-win :-bd .