Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Fat tyre kicker

Re: Todays ride

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

On the red kite theme, I was having a number 2 in the woods
Near Nantymoch years ago ( dug hole and bio paper) and
One flew through the clearing where I was literally inches away
If I hadn't already been emptying my bowels I would have, it
Was utterly amazing to watch it, I was mesmerised.......
Drove back from Lowestoft to Warrington on Monday and
Seen a huge Owl sat on a log near home stretching on a log :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:16 pm Hopefully I might see that Buzzard
There's loads on the Island, I see buzzards on just about every ride in the day, and owls on every ride after dark.

Once things are back to normal you should come down for a ride. We're also over-run with red squirrels and water voles. You can't move for endangered species over here :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:23 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:16 pm Hopefully I might see that Buzzard
There's loads on the Island, I see buzzards on just about every ride in the day, and owls on every ride after dark.

Once things are back to normal you should come down for a ride. We're also over-run with red squirrels and water voles. You can't move for endangered species over here :grin:
Thanks Sean. I was just thinking after you mentioned the Chief Exec being scrubbed up and helping, that I should try and get a shift doen there one day...

On the birds theme, yes definitely sounds like I need to pop over (I dont need a passpirt do I... I have one but its expired as always worry they might not let me in once I go visiting anywhere else... a biproduct of my runOffIsh mouth) as I love birds (both types).. and owls :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

You can't move for endangered species over here :grin:
A harsh social commentary on the aging demographic of the IOW there...
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

The Second City Divide passes close by our house. Part of our 2020 plans are to start this route. Fraser and I made a start today riding from Whitelee Forest over to Kype Muir. Whitelee was mobbed. After a mile or so, we had the place to ourselves. Was a beautiful day to be out and about. Visited parts of the Forest I haven't seen for years. Next stage will be a quick ride from Kype Muir over to Lanark. Who knows when that will be?
BaM 2021
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Just back from 30km round Rothiemurchus and Glenmore on the SS Onion. Once outside Aviemore I saw one cyclist and one walker on the way to Glenmore and a family of four at the CC footbridge. That was it. Town is very quiet. A few folk are obviously still driving to Loch Morlich for dog walking but I guess this spreads them out a bit rather than all using the paths nearer the town..

Incredibly quiet/silent though. Spookily so. Partly due to atmospherics – low cloud, no wind – but lack of people, vehicles and forest activity are obviously a factor.

ImageDSC_1051 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
ImageDSC_1052 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Over Christmas 2018 I brought a 2nd hand Cannondale Bad Boy from FB whilst in Dallas. I used it to do a popular 500Km challenge in all weathers and then had it taken back to Ghana in Jan 2019. I've used it once last year for 35km ride but otherwise its sat in the spare crew apartment gathering dust.

Now as it looks like I'll be staying in the apartment for a while, its a godsend. Great for moving around in the local traffic and today a longer ride. Riding in Ghana is not for the faint hearted :shock: Though to be fair, nor is driving a car!

Those videos of close passes are nothing if you've had a taxi bus come by at speed when the run-off is a 3ft deep storm drain :grin:

So an invisible virus is possibly lower on your threat radar and does offer the benefit of reducing the traffic to weekend levels :-bd

Today's ride was based on the reverse of one I did last week, again to the North but still not quite to the hills.

This time I cut through the university park and enjoyed the shade:

ImageToday’s ride Accra by Andy Wright, on Flickr

From there I entered the botanical gardens, which turned out to be closed but I met Kofi at the main exit and we agreed to meet-up another day when social rides return:

Generally the locals are encouraging of a white guy on on his bike riding through their neighbourhood. Today was no exception apart from two shouts of Corona :|
Not a problem until I realised I dropped the key to the apartment from the top-tube bag over the bumps and it was most likely near where the shouts had come from :???:
Ghana is pretty safe but still a place not to take risks. There have been some issues over in Ethiopia with attacks on outsiders :roll:
Anyway it wasn't a problem and the key was still there laying in the dirt with its bright tag :grin:

Key was at the circled area and I made it as far as the road kink before Abokor until I realised its loss.

The main road past Madina is a dual carriageway with a pedestrian/cycleway on each side

Final stretch was on almost deserted roads which have just been resurfaced:

Heat and humidity had taken its toll but it was still a great 3 hours outside :cool: :

Next time I'll set out earlier and do the climb up to Peduase Lodge:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3220957103

Ride safe all
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Spin up to Glenmore on the SS Onion. Carried on up to An Lochan Uaine as it was so quiet*

ImageP1060429 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

* although there was a massive increase in the number of cyclists I met compared with Wednesday - about a 400% increase I'd say as I met 12 over the 37km distance,
Boab

Post by Boab »

Used one of my usual local loops for this mornings ride. Most bridleways and byways are now dry, although there are a few sectors that are still claggy, or have puddles. The main issue is that most have been churned up by horses and/or tractors, so some sort of suspension would've been nice. Seriously considering a Lauf fork now...

There was too much of this kind of rock hard hoof print nonsense:

And not enough of this kind of hardpack loveliness:
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Went loosely round the Rossendale Way today. Saw hardly anyone but DID meet a Boner. :shock:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Had a whizz round early evening. Ride amost spoilt by a slipping seatpost but i decided not to let it get to me.

Swapped the brand new QR to the standard bolt up clamp. See if that mends it. It has unfortunately scored the seatpost so I'll have to replace that, ledt it snap and poke my bum, which is annoying as thats also new (the post, not my bum)
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Quick family ride around the lanes :-bd
Trying to ride bikes.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Early morning road and bridleway bimble around Woburn, avoiding gates.
May you always have tail wind.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A wee trip round to Loch Garten, past the RSPB sign saying that the forest is closed* :lol:

* to be reported.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

10km yesterday, all within a 2km radius of my house. I made a little film of it.

Part 1: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-VdyGCl5tc/

Part 2: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-WgQjJFbKI/
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm missing cycling to work, would do about 80 miles a week on average just getting there and back, which has obviously stopped

Managed to do a couple of local rides last week on my MTB, enjoyed them. Will try to get out 2-3 times a week for a local ride. I'm quite fortunate in that I'm right on the green belt, so despite living in London I can still hit a few off road sections. All very tame but still good fun
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Still using the Singlespeed. Rigid, 26" tyres, flat bars and bar ends. It's like a blast from the past and pretty much ideal for the regular trails around Rothiemurchus and Glenmore.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

nice loop over cannock chase yesterday.

Trying to ride bikes.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Landslide wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:38 am 10km yesterday, all within a 2km radius of my house. I made a little film of it.

Part 1: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-VdyGCl5tc/

Part 2: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-WgQjJFbKI/

Loved them vids! I wish more people would do this...

Scotrouts - amazing!!
Boab

Post by Boab »

Took the kids out for a short loop yesterday. Both of them need new helmets, daughter also had to use her Mum's bike and didn't like it and fell off lots. Both are now claiming they don't want to ride bikes again... 🙄

As the sinusitis appears to have buggered off, I went out on my own this morning. Now everything hurts...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

about a 400% increase I'd say as I met 12 over the 37km distance,
perhaps they are encouraged by all the internet posts of folk doing more than one hour outside and thought why not ?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Why not indeed. Nice trails, nice day, not many folk around.

(you do realise I was being a bit facetious?)
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I had a really enjoyable night ride on Saturday. Left at about 9pm, lots of cheeky footpaths - apart from the annoying gates/stiles they make brilliant trails!

From my front door I even managed to hit hilly benchmark of 100ft of climbing per mile, even though I'm only in North London :-bd

Pieced together a few bits I'd been meaning to for a little while, there's still bits to add on. Overall it was fun, rigid MTB was perfect too
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Went of a 15 mile bimble around Llandudno and surrounding area on Sunday morning and was only passed by 10 cars! Was happy with that!
ImageIMG_20200405_120111_782 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Yesterday afternoon I went down the beach at Conwy as it was a loow low tide.
Spot the bike:
ImageIMG_20200406_183236_286 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

It was like someone pulled the plug out! Despite the temptation to go straight to the Great Orme 4 miles away there is a 50 yards stretch of estuary still flowing!
Image20200406_170728 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

First light 0600 Sunday morning, guaranteed solo then!
@philg1971 Instagram