Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Zippy

Re: Todays ride

Post by Zippy »

The moon was bright this evening.

I got rather hypoglycemic on the way hone from work this evening... Still managed to motorpace the bus for the last mile into my village though!
composite

Post by composite »

I managed to get to work this morning (first ride in a month) and have so far not felt any ill effects in my knees. :-bd
Giacomo

Post by Giacomo »

Took the long route home today after work (via the pub)
FLV

Post by FLV »

Mark and I had a spin round the trails by ladybower.

It was blooming windy and soaking. Worth going out though all the same
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Last night, I took a test ride to make sure my right leg will hold out this weekend (still aggrevated from the Dawn till Dusk ride). 66Kms to visit some folks between Brown Clee and Wenlock Edge...rain on the return leg got progressively heavier the closer I got to Shrewsbury. Nice tailwind though.

Greetz

S.
Giacomo

Post by Giacomo »

Off to my local mountain bike trails in Surrey. Meeting some DH and dirt jump types... failed to repair mountain bike last night so I'm on my CX bike. Going to be interesting. At least I left the lycra at home today...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

60km road ride in 2 hours. Currently sitting in the cafe, so a slow 10km ride home due to cake (and not the strong headwind!)
Dan_K

Post by Dan_K »

20 mile road ride yesterday followed by a loop of the blue and red at Swinley today.

Decided that it was ok but I don't like trail centres.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

30km to work and 40 afterwards, bringing my weekend total to 140km. Feeling it now though :|
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

140km on the fat bike today
yeah, me too.
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

stevenshand wrote:
yeah, me too.
Sorry, I misread that as 'stayed in the kitchen drinking coffee staring out the window at the atrocious weather'
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

A few windy miles on the road yesterday and then a short mtb ride out to cook breakfast up on Leith Hill today. Mate brought an empty gas cartridge so we were both pretty chilly by the time we'd cooked two breakfasts and two mugs of coffee on my coke can meths stove. Slithered home for a hot shower.
Ian

Post by Ian »

stevenshand wrote:
stevenshand wrote:
yeah, me too.
Sorry, I misread that as 'stayed in the kitchen drinking coffee staring out the window at the atrocious weather'
:wink:

Put down another ~150km of the fat bike on the Ford Fiesta, another 3,000 metres-odd of climbing. Not to mention the wind, hail, rain and snow. Not exactly feeling fast on the bike, but legs certainly getting stronger.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Pretty good going that Ian.

I manged 95km on the ford fiesta. First bivi of the year too. New bag worked pretty well.

It was certainly windy out there.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

First frostbite of the year. I was properly crying as I tried to warm the pinkies in water after a 30 mile ride over the Marlborough Downs.

Time to break out the neoprene.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Gari

Post by Gari »

In my experience neoprene is a poor insulator in anything other than standing water. Once wet if it is not protected from the wind it just increases the rate at which you will conduct heat to the outside world.
Though i never liked them as a waterproof sock, I think sealskinz are great as a vapour barrier liner. Being windproof and breathable they will stop the windchill if you put them over warm socks,and slow the rate your feet will get damp. They will get a little damp mind, but again, the wind proofing helps there :smile:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Last nights ride...60kms in awful conditions...sideways rain...numerous paved dips posing as lakes...howling winds. Wet through after the first hour 'n a half.

Greetz

S.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

After much swearing trying to singlespeed the fat bike and getting a nice gear ratio, I took out the skinny singlespeed mountain bike to test kit. Mainly roads but with the odd off-road section (and hike a bike), I managed 52km in 2 1/2 hours :grin: Tried out my stem bag and worked fine placed by the seat pin and tried out two bar cells, which worked a tried. One had my water bottle in and the second, a battery and jelly babies. Constantly eating kept my energy levels topped up, so a great success :-bd
composite

Post by composite »

Managed 30miles today and no pain so pretty happy. It was a classic cold but sunny and bright winters day. Just took spin on the cross bike around the country lanes of warwickshire. It was actually my first ride this year that wasn't a commute.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Dee was off to the bright lights of Aber' so I got myself a lift to Tal-y-bont before jumping ship and riding home. 40k or so and 1000m of up ... bit more snow than I was expecting once I got higher.

The fox in the gate from last weekend isn't looking well ... there were two ravens having a munch when I got there.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Ian

Post by Ian »

Lovely...

I reckon when I saw the fox it'd died within the past 24 hours, as the eyes were still intact. Bloody good job it was dead, as I'm not sure what I'd have done if I'd have found the thing stuck but alive...

--

Anyway, in South Wales Snow News, I had a thoroughly enjoyable ride in the mountains on the fat bike on snow for the first time :-bd
65 km ridden, 1300 metres climbed.

Fan Gihirych by ianbarrington, on Flickr

Distant Pen-y-fan by ianbarrington, on Flickr
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lovely...
Apologies to anyone who might have been half way through their tea :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
paramart

Post by paramart »

stu how did the stooge go in the snow, i know you have 29 plus front tyre did it work ok, how did the rear end cope did it pack in at the seat stays and chain stays at all
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

10 miles today checking out a planned route, which turns out to be terrible. Back to the drawing board. Suspect there wasn't enough sealant in the rear tyre as it went flat after 5 miles. Switched for a tube which subsequently split at the valve *sigh* I walked the last 3 miles home with bike on shoulder.

Envious of the Welsh snowy hill endevours.

Greetz

S.
slarge

Post by slarge »

A very unadventurous Gorrick XC race down in Surrey. Was a cracking course, but my body let me down. Still, did wear the BearBones top, so I spread the message of "ride, eat, sleep"! 26km or so!