Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Re: Todays ride

Post by Lazarus »

LEJOG based on Cicerone route following quieter roads and traffic-free paths with 2 newbies to bikepacking - who were destroyed and at 12 hours riding/rest by the end [ they declined my go Large 24 hour last day suggestion with much swearing] . We still managed to average 100 miles per day fully loaded [ one day was a 40 miler due to mechanicals] with 60000 ft ish of climbing

I am off to do a sacrifice to the weather gods as I got wet once for 1 hour [ Glasgow at the end of the day] and the highlands weather gift was sun burn and the last day was a 40 mph tail wind - Offers burnt remnants of bibs shorts to the gods
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:38 pm
I am off to do a sacrifice to the weather gods as I got wet once for 1 hour [ Glasgow at the end of the day] and the highlands weather gift was sun burn and the last day was a 40 mph tail wind - Offers burnt remnants of bibs shorts to the gods
You're welcome.

A thank you would be fine.

:lol:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The Bibs are in the post :shock:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Off out early this morning to beat the heat. Was gorgeous, even stopped for a espresso at Maglia Rosso on the way passed.

On one of the last byway sections, I felt my rear tyres going soft. With no spray of sealant up the back of the legs, and no evidence of any when I inspected the tyre, I rapidly came to the conclusion that the sealant had dried up. Wheel and tyre off, then ten minutes spent pulling thorns and bits of flint out the the tyre before putting the spare inner tube in. Couldn't get the tube inflated, turned out there was a massive hole in it, not sure where that came from, but it was soon fixed. Still couldn't get the tyre up to a pressure I was happy with, so I had to stop another few kilometres down the road and try and get some more in.

Eventually made it home...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Same, popped out for a quick early spin. Had finished my pot of backside cream the other day - MooCream or MooJuice or whatever it's called - noting that it expired in 2017 (does it expire? I mean it's not actual milk is it?). So cracked open the new one, which is Arseoles or Arses or whatever it's called, and slathered that on. I'm a disciple of the Stu School Of Riding Commando these days, so no undercrackers. Blimmin' 'eck! It was like splashing a bucket of Listerine over my bum, never had that reaction before. Still went for the ride though and the flames went out eventually.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:45 am Same, popped out for a quick early spin. Had finished my pot of backside cream the other day - MooCream or MooJuice or whatever it's called - noting that it expired in 2017 (does it expire?). So cracked open the new one, which is Arseoles or Arses or whatever it's called, and slathered that on. I'm a disciple of the Stu School Of Riding Commando these days, so no undercrackers. Blimmin' 'eck! It was like splashing a bucket of Listerine over my bum, never had that reaction before. Still went for the ride though and the flames went out eventually.
... with a Johnny Cash track playing in your head?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well I've got A Missus Named Sue (*), so almost!

(*) actually it's Elizabeth Perrin isn't it, ah well.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Went for a short ride around the Trough of Bowland doing a couple of bridleways that I'd not done before plus a couple I had. Jeez was it hot! :oops: :oops: :oops: Eventually cut the ride short as one of the party had to get home by a specific time but to be honest I wasn't looking forward to the last big climb which I'd done before.

Got one new VV square which also added one to my max cluster :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
faustus

Post by faustus »

Got out at 5am on Sunday to beat the heat, and went for a decent 40 mile mixed terrain route, taking in some nice byways across the border in North Hampshire. Lovely being out early and it was all very enjoyable, including a close encounter with a tawny owl, and seeing lots of hares and two foxes. Countryside was absolutely parched and pretty dusty. Was running 700x50mm Ramblers to see what they where like on the camino, and although they perform well, they're a touch on the cumbersome side compared with 650x47mm that I usually run. Maybe i'm just used to the more nimble feeling of the smaller diameter...?
@boab - if your sealant is dry, try Orange endurance. I've been using it a couple of years and it doesn't really dry out, and i've been happily re-using it in other tyres with just a top up of new stuff. Would recommend.
Boab

Post by Boab »

faustus wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:05 am @boab - if your sealant is dry, try Orange endurance. I've been using it a couple of years and it doesn't really dry out, and i've been happily re-using it in other tyres with just a top up of new stuff. Would recommend.
'tis Orange Endurance I use...
faustus

Post by faustus »

Well, bugger! Maybe I just use too much of it so it would take a lot longer to dry out... :???:
Boab

Post by Boab »

After last weekend puncture, and inflater failure, I was back on the MTB for riding this week. I suddenly remembered on Thursday that I have another wheelset for the gravel bike, not quite sure why I didn't think about it earlier. 🤦 So I dug them out the shed yesterday, put some rotors on them and fitted a cleaned up 11-42 XT cassette, along with a cleaned and lubed XT chain. The tyres have survived two winters of riding and are in a bit of a state, but thankfully they held up without issue.

Amazing how much faster you can go on skinnier tyres, when you give it a bit of welly. While in no way super fast, 110KM at an average speed of just over 28kph will do me, especially on a 38T front chainring.

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Yesterday I headed back to a valley I first rode back at in December. My thinking was it'll be easier going due to drier ground, it wasn't! The faint track that turns into a quad bike track and then nothing heads up the valley from Bethesda following the Avon Caseg. It was scenic enough and not another soul was seen except for the farmer 200 yards from my car at the end. I was told (in Welsh) that I shouldn't be cycling there as it'll damage the ground, bearing in mind I was following his quad bike track! Yes it was partly a footpath and tbh this is the 1st time in probably 20 years that I've been 'reminded' of this here in Snowdonia. The farmer was pleasant enough and we had a good old chat about the sheep he was marking and the other jobs he had on over the next few days. I'll probably not return due to the tough going.
Some pics...
Image20220804_112008 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220804_115144 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220804_120318 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

ImageScreenshot_20220804-121837_OS Maps by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220804_123319 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220804_130121 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

summittoppler wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:02 am It was scenic enough and not another soul was seen except for the farmer 200 yards from my car at the end. I was told (in Welsh) that I shouldn't be cycling there as it'll damage the ground, bearing in mind I was following his quad bike track! Yes it was partly a footpath and tbh this is the 1st time in probably 20 years that I've been 'reminded' of this here in
:roll:

Image20220804_123319 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

That's a really weird shiney yellow rock (quartzy?), but just right to set you stove on for a brew... :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

Er, it's Jeff's sarnies :wink: .

What's more worrying is those green bits floating in his tea :smile:

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

RIP wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:23 am Er, it's Jeff's sarnies :wink: .

What's more worrying is those green bits floating in his tea :smile:
...and that will be the leek and potato soup :wink:
:lol:

Instagram:

YouTube:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just did a fine evening ride round my local hills - the perfect way to end a busy week. I even ground my way up the entirety of the climb from Tillicoutry to the summit of Ben Cleuch (25-725m) without a dab, thanks to the joy of gears :-bd

PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Not the biggest or most impressive ride, but probably my favourite in ages. Rode from home with a friend of mine and our kids (2 11 year old boys and 2 9 year old girls) to our cow molly, a local maker and seller of amazing ice cream. Took the mainly off road way there and a different one back, ended up being about 12 miles and 400m of climbing, plenty of stops, about 3 1/2 hours and lots of ice cream!

Lovely sunny but cool day, great riding from the kids and all round excellent way to spend the morning.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Popped out for lunch yesterday and spent a couple of hours 'renovating' my winter bivvy spot.

Image20220808_124645 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220808_122520 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

No big mountain scenery on today's ride. From the front door I had a nice pedal along the coast to the west shore of Llandudno, then over to the crowded north shore. From there I made my way along the cyclepath to Colwyn Bay were they're in the process of 'making a new beach. Very clever it is too. They are pumping sand from a sand bank 1/2 mile out to sea and re-homing it along the coast! 19.5 miles from the front door.
Image20220810_095407 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220810_100054 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220810_102125 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220810_105201 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220810_105936 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220810_105943 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Love that blue sky Jeff
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Aim was for a lumpy ride (1,000m) in a short distance (50km) on the road-ish bike with the new bike fit I got for next years plans.

Was warm leaving the house at 0930 and peaked at about 30 degrees on some of the climbs. Definitely a two bottle day.

Took in a lot of climbs I knew, and one long one I didn't, was a nice 2 hour blast.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

More riding with the kids over the last 2 days. My wife was working away so we went to spurn point - camping for the night. Rode out to the lighthouse, which was great apart from the 1km on the beach each way... Pushing my daughter's bike in one hand, and my son's & my tandem in the other is a good workout, fish & chips followed by a pint of cider in the pub afterwards was well deserved!

Then yesterday we went out again, exploring the old WW1 costal defences, giant sound mirror and wetlands bird hides for a couple of hours before the heat hit at lunchtime.
Again, no massive distances (probably 30km all in at most) and virtually no hills... but excellent rides and the kids now want to do overnight trips so that's a winner!

And then home via the Humber bridge (so we could beep, cheer & wave at the LEL riders) and an ice cream parlour at 7 lakes (because we're hot and gluttons!)
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:43 pm Love that blue sky Jeff
It's that oh-so-cool blue water that's even more inviting just right now :grin:

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

RIP wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:57 pm
Verena wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:43 pm Love that blue sky Jeff
It's that oh-so-cool blue water that's even more inviting just right now :grin:
Lol, full of jelly fish atm! As nice as it may seem, I do prefer them colder days.... :???:

Instagram:

YouTube: