Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Todays ride

Post by whitestone »

Went for a bit of VV square bashing yesterday. I was working over at my brother's in the South Lakes and given that it was forecast a nice day I took the Genesis CdF over and in the evening I rode around some of the lanes to the east of Kendal. Even though I grew up in the area I'd never been in this part, I don't think my dad had dealings with any of the farmers there and there are no crags so didn't go there climbing.

I worked out a route that would give me the most squares for the minimum distance, loaded it on the Garmin and set off. All went well until I got to a lane passing under the West Coast Mainline - the bridge over the beck wasn't there! Not just, no cars, no bloody bridge! http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=358562&Y=496225&A=Y&Z=120There'd been Diverted Traffic signs but the actual road closed sign was on the road I'd turned off not the one I'd headed down. I did consider scrambling across but the fencing on the other side looked a bit substantial to get round so decided to head back. Of course I'd dropped down by 70m or so meaning I'd got that to climb to get back to a suitable road. I'd seen that there were a couple of ways around so headed east to then parallel the M6 and then back to get on my original course.

Quite glad I took the Genesis as the lanes were in a bad state of repair and I don't think the road bike would have stood up to some of the potholes (hard to see in the setting sun). It was getting a bit chilly by the time I was back at the car.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5098185370
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Got another bivvy in last night. There's not many places I actually use again but I bivvied in the same place as I stayed 3 weeks ago in Cwm Eigiau.
From Coedty I made my way along the double track to Cowlyd in the early evening.
Image20210409_181424 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

The old farmstead named Siglen which is now in a bad way. I did stay in here about 30 years ago and it was a great place.
Image20210409_183423 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210409_183256 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Cowlyd in the distance with the sun not far from setting.
Image20210409_184253 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Same location as 3 weeks ago. There was a few patches of snow around the place which froze solid in the night along with my water.
Image20210409_203359 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Ice cold beers, cheesy nachos and a fire in a fireplace (I stashed wood up there the other evening).
Image20210409_215150 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210410_062325 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210410_071712 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Gotta have bunting
Image20210410_072329 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:07 pm Rode 7 miles to Woburn Woods to meet my pal Lord Jezzer Bell of Bell End. The only 'plan' was 'ride around aimlessly for a bit, talk as much rubbish as possible, and have a tea/coffee at Woburn Sands station'.

I must say the plan, for once, worked to the letter. In three and a half hours we rode in various circles around the woods, getting lost a couple of times, clocking up the princely total of 6 miles. Drinks were partaken of. Walls were sat on. We actually spent more time stopped, talking tripe or just not saying anything at all, than we did in motion.

We frequently amused ourselves watching all the electric bikes being driven by those who had no 'need' for one at all. Proper bikes were very few and far between. Our almost 15-year old bikes were totally incongrous, especially mine since it's got all my luggage on board semi-permanently now. Got some very funny looks on the 'trails'. As well as the ebikes, most punters rolled up in flash oversized vehicles, wore immaculate togs freshly pressed by their valets, and all had bikes that had apparently just come fresh out of the showroom or at the very least from their in-home temperature-controlled bike-wardrobes. We surmised that mountain biking is the new golf. Lord Jezzer confirmed this by explaining that his lad was actually just getting into golf, went to buy some gear and the sales guy glumly said exactly that to him.

Both of us agreed that we'd had a jolly nice time and wouldn't have changed a thing.

Reg then biked 7 miles home again.

That's all.
This sounds like such a good day
Verena

Post by Verena »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:52 pm Got another bivvy in last night. There's not many places I actually use again but I bivvied in the same place as I stayed 3 weeks ago in Cwm Eigiau.
From Coedty I made my way along the double track to Cowlyd in the early evening.
Image20210409_181424 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

The old farmstead named Siglen which is now in a bad way. I did stay in here about 30 years ago and it was a great place.
Image20210409_183423 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210409_183256 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Cowlyd in the distance with the sun not far from setting.
Image20210409_184253 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Same location as 3 weeks ago. There was a few patches of snow around the place which froze solid in the night along with my water.
Image20210409_203359 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Ice cold beers, cheesy nachos and a fire in a fireplace (I stashed wood up there the other evening).
Image20210409_215150 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210410_062325 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210410_071712 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Gotta have bunting
Image20210410_072329 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
Mmmmm, cheesy nachos...

To be fair, that does look too good a spot not to return to for more bivvies...
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

As per the norm, here's a short 2 minute 30 second film from my bivvy ride on Friday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeToR4NCXJo

:-bd

Instagram:

YouTube:
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

That trip looks good, I especially like your 'fridge' for the beer. Maybe claim squatter's rights?
Verena

Post by Verena »

For yesterday's ride, I decided to take the road bike, go full mamil (yes, still works: middle aged mother in lycra), and stretch my mental comfort zone, by riding heading out west into and up and over the Black Mountain, taking in what is considered one of South Wales' classic road climbs (to Brynamman). Stretching my comfort zone in that I've been wanting to do this loop for a while, but there is something about those 100k loops which are full commitment as there are no real shortcuts home, if whatever it is that I don't even know what it is that I worry about should happen :roll: .
First part, lovely up and down back road to Sennybridge, where I stopped at the famous Glanusk Service station and got a cold drink and flapjack. There was no need to stop so soon, other than that is there, I had plenty of food and water on me, I just find it hard to pass any refuelling opportunity... Plus I checked out that the cafe looked to be open again for takeaways :-bd
On to one of my favourite roads which runs alongside the Usk reservoir, almost in the shade of the steep peaks of the Black Mountain. Another stop to take in the views and enjoy the sunshine. O and practise those all important selfie skills :roll:
ImageIMG_20210417_185238_872 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210417_185238_885 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
I spotted a runner lady approaching, returning to her car, so I struck up a conversation with her, with a view to trying to palm off my empty drinks bottle onto her (which worked a treat by the way). Interestingly, about the third sentence she said to me was, "that's scary though, cycling alone, as a girl, don't you think?", and told me how she got a bike, tried it, found it hard going, then had an experience riding on a cycle path where some bloke kept riding behind her and tapping her on the shoulder, wanting to talk - end result she arrived back home in tears and won't go out again :cry: On the plus side, she asked where I was going, and when I told her, her eyes just about popped out, and I felt like some sort of olympic level athlete :lol: .
The actual Black Mountain road was an experience a bit like child birth.... at the start, you know that something inevitable is going to happen involving some sort of pain, but you don't know how bad it's going to be, or how long it will last, so it's difficult to know how to pace yourself, or how much to keep back in tank. Both were similar for me in that, near the end, I had that "o, is that it?" experience (in the case of childbirth, it was a case of, now it really effing hurts, give me some stronger pain relief, only to be told "it's too late now love"). It's the second time that one of those road climbs is all bigged up, but it is nothing compared to all the upping and downing in the small lanes I normally do. And even more nothing compared to riding off road... Just a longish steady slog, stick it in a low gear, take it steady and enjoy the views, which were gorgeous. Stopped at the top for that flapjack, to enjoy the view, and work on those tan lines. Sign is about the quarries up there by the way - local cavers call it Herberts quarry for a reason I don't know.
ImageIMG_20210417_185238_902 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210417_185238_908 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Very lovely, very long descent, if only it wasn't for the traffic, it is a popular route for motorbikes and day trippers :roll:
Stopped for a couple of pics, down into the Swansea valley, and back up behind me
ImageIMG_20210417_185238_912 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210417_185238_920 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Back down in Brynamman, I was on familiar territory again, having lived and worked in the area 20 odd years ago. Was very pleased to find that since then, they've converted some disused tram and railway lines into cycle paths. Back then, some of these ex mining villages were right substandard holes with nothing to do. At least now they can ride bikes and go for walks :-bd . Here's the Amman Valley cycle path, and some coal tip thing in the background - I do like a bit of good regeneration. Talked to some dog walkers, who told me though that all the cyclists still use the main road, and they didn't understand why ("what's the point of all that money being spent, and then they don't use it?").... I said something about some people being stupid, unimaginative, and/or simply too obsessed with getting best times on strava than to think to explore a bit and take a couple of turns or go through some gates...
ImageIMG_20210417_131351 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210417_132158 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Classic lunch stop in Ystradgynlais, on a bench in front of a dodgy mural on the walls of the public toilets :lol: , armed with pizza and a coffee from Greggs (as my favourite independent cafe was closed)
ImageIMG_20210417_135222 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Found my way up a steep hill onto more excellent cycle track, the top bit of Route 43, and loved that a lot. When we moved there back in the day, liking the look, and cost of housing, of the village, and the hills around it, we sadly found that "countryside" for many locals meant basically one great big rubbish tip and place to set fire to stolen cars. And landowners very much not allowing access to the hills, with public rights of way something invented by the English... Excellent to see this has all changed, and that disused railway opened up. Anyway, followed route 43 to the end in Coelbren, then tried but failed to find a connecting track to the Ystradfellte road, which I'd heard about and seen on RWPS. When I asked some locals and a passing cyclist, the thoughts were somewhere between they didn't know of it, and it isn't tarmacced. Never mind, one to come back to on a different bike. Descent down to Glynneath on a far too busy road, but I survived and was soon back on the home straight, the lovely Ystradfellte road, also a favourite of mine.
ImageIMG_20210417_185238_924 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Maen Llia standing stone
ImageIMG_20210417_185238_928 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
At the top of the Devil's Elbow a lady walking took a photo of me taking a photo, because she liked my Welsh Dragon top, and thought it would be a nice picture, me in front of that view. How nice is that?
ImageIMG_20210417_222937_953 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
So, yes, a great day out!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Great write-up :-bd . What fantastic weather for those views too.

"whatever it is that I don't even know what it is that I worry about should happen" :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Verena wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:18 am ...mamil (yes, still works: middle aged mother in lycra)...
Surely that's a "mumil"? :lol:

Ace pix, looks like a great ride :cool: :-bd .
May you always have tail wind.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Just the right balance of dust, grip and sunshine for an early thrash round the woods :cool: .
https://www.instagram.com/p/COAQ5CSF18D ... vmld7xenzv
May you always have tail wind.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A lengthy day out in the sun and on dust dry trails :-bd Oddly the bike started making horrible creaking / cracking noises at mile 40. At first I thought it was me but actually turns out to be the square taper BB (UN55) which sounds like one of the balls has de-laminated. And its barely a year old! Fortunately I have several spares.....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A good portion of this should really be in the "Todays Walk" section...

I set out to grab a few VeloViewer squares, but also to ascertain the rideability of a short section between two "dead end" tracks in an out-of-the-way part of Ardverickie estate. The day started badly. I'd ridden away from the van only to remembers that I'd left my phone behind. I backtracked, grabbed the phone and set off again. Little more than 15 minutes in, I also realised I'd not packed much in the way of snacks. I knew there was plenty in the van, but I couldn't be arsed going back yet again.

Up the hill, on a path much improved since I last rode it and past s a couple of lovely swimming pools until the hard track ended and I was at the start of the grassy/peaty section. Not very rideable, I was content to push uphill until it ended and I was now faced with the trackless bit.

I reckoned about 2km to where the OS map showed the track, so followed the river bank. not in any hurry and just enjoying the weather and the feeling of solitude. After that 2km I reckoned I should have come across the other dead end and set about trying to find it. The peat hags were horrendous, the only saving grace being that we've had a decent spell of dry weather so none of then were too soft. Eventually, I spied the "track". It had obviously been a very well-made stalkers path at one time but it was now broken up into very short sections, interspersed with more peat hags. I tried to ride a few bits but I was actually slower than just walking as I was having to dismount too often.

By now I was beginning to think more seriously about my timing. Progress was glacially slow and I knew I had at least 5km to where the track definitely improved. And all I had was one cereal bar and half a bag of Jelly Babies.

I stopped at an old set of ruins just for a break and to compose myself. While not exactly heading for disaster (I did have spare clothing with me), I was feeling a bit anxious and, frankly, pissed off.

Setting off after a wee break (and a wee break) it took me a couple of minutes to rediscover the broken track. Then I came round a corner and noticed that the track seemed have a good stretch, I remounted the bike and that good bit went on, and on, and on. Suddenly, I was on some of the sweetest Highland singletrack I can ever remember. It was just vaguely exciting. With my sudden ability to actually ride the damn bike and the fun I was having, the 5km shot by far too quickly.

Now I had another choice. I'd plotted a route over some more "forgotten" tracks but it was just a lot easier, quicker and more familiar to scoot down to Loch Pattack.

Passing the famous ponies, I finally had that cereal bar I'd been saving. I knew that the last section, along Lochan na h-Earba was always a struggle, it being a funnel for the wind. When I got there, I found I was careering along it at a fair lick. As it happened, this must be the only time I've had a tailwind. The final descent back to the van is another fast one so I was back in double-quick time.

In summary, I think I've forgotten what it's like to truly adventure, Like most folk I'm guilty of sticking to known tracks , so I've forgotten that things can go a bit pear-shaped but that's no need to panic. Keeping a steady head will (mostly) see you right in the end!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:07 pm.

wow what a cracking picture. The oblique Rays of sunlight. :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

They are all great pics, you have a wonderful playground,
That last pic is epic :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Fat tyre kicker wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:21 pm They are all great pics, you have a wonderful playground,
That last pic is epic :-bd
What he said
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yes you're back on form 'Routes, no need to fret about "sub par write-ups" :smile: . Compliments on that very professional hag-bashing (that sounds a bit wrong, never mind). It was interesting to read about your slight heart-in-mouth (strange saying) butterflies feeling when you realised the slog was going on a bit too long and your supplies were too low, and that even experts can find themselves innocuously slipping into that type of situation, then having to pause, get a grip, and work out how to deal with it. So did you retrospectively decide that you should have gone back a second time for your sustenance? Maybe that small 'mistake' had immediately inflicted you with an unnoticeable but affecting undercurrent to the ride? Still, you're alive :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Toppled a new summit for me today. I wanted to go higher and get a few more in but the wind was blowing a bit so they can wait for another day. A tough climb up to Machlyn on the water board tarmac road and then a hike a bike up to the summit. Some off piste descending got me back down to the car. Them views though!

ImageScreenshot_20210425-131236_OS Maps by Jeff Price, on Flickr

The view across to Snowdon
ImageIMG_20210425_155412_845 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210425_131135 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Llyn Padarn
Image20210425_131034 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Llyn Machlyn, the top lake on Electric mountain
Image20210425_130348 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

The tarmac climb to Machlyn
Image20210425_125422 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Elidir Fawr to do next time
Image20210425_131014 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very nice. Surprised you hadn't ticked Elidir before now Jeff? Seems to be off many people's radars - guess the magnetism of S*n is too great. Is the lake biviable or too rough and slatey? (not that anything could ever be too slatey in my book).

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

RIP wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:45 pm Very nice. Surprised you hadn't ticked Elidir before now Jeff? Seems to be off many people's radars - guess the magnetism of S*n is too great. Is the lake biviable or too rough and slatey? (not that anything could ever be too slatey in my book).
I've had my eye on the summit for a while tbh but never got round to it. As with anywhere up here, plenty of bivvy spots with shelter by big boulders/cliffs etc. I'll try and get a bivvy in on Elidir Fawr hopefully this year as there's great views from there.
Last edited by summittoppler on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Instagram:

YouTube:
RIP

Post by RIP »

PS. I really do need to go and have a look at the pumped storage surge pool which I can see on your map. It would be fun to be standing there when they let the water rip. Still very pissed orf that typhoons/thunderstorms zapped my visit last summer at the eleventh hour. Mebbe this year..

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Colin, was that ride connecting the two Allt Cam rivers around the back of Beinn a Chlachair? Phil Clarke did it in the opposite direction, recognised the ruins in the shot.

http://philsbikepacking.blogspot.com/20 ... rides.html but he might have written about it in another post.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

RIP wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:49 pm PS. I really do need to go and have a look at the pumped storage surge pool which I can see on your map. It would be fun to be standing there when they let the water rip. Still very pissed orf that typhoons/thunderstorms zapped my visit last summer at the eleventh hour. Mebbe this year..
Its quite an engineering marvel that Machlyn is just over 500 metres higher than Llyn Peris and they pump the water fromone to the other to generate electric.
Here's Machlyn at 635 metres:
Image20210425_123536 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Into the mountain but sadly locked (obvs)
Image20210425_123338 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210425_123425 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

There's some interesting stats here for those who are not aware of the engineering marvel of the mountain:
https://www.electricmountain.co.uk/Dino ... er-Station

Instagram:

YouTube:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:49 pm PS. I really do need to go and have a look at the pumped storage surge pool which I can see on your map. It would be fun to be standing there when they let the water rip. Still very pissed orf that typhoons/thunderstorms zapped my visit last summer at the eleventh hour. Mebbe this year..
It's not when they let the water rip, it's for when they shut things down and the force of the water causes a massive reverse surge. From memory it's actually quite hard to see into it as the security fence is well back from the edge, understandably as it's shaped like the horn of a trumpet and you really, really wouldn't want to fall in it :shock:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:59 pm Colin, was that ride connecting the two Allt Cam rivers around the back of Beinn a Chlachair? Phil Clarke did it in the opposite direction, recognised the ruins in the shot.

http://philsbikepacking.blogspot.com/20 ... rides.html but he might have written about it in another post.
Yep. I reckon the trackless part would work better in that direction as you'd at least have gravity assist. But then the nice bit of singletrack would be a climb...

It's just a shame that the old track hasn't been maintained all the way as that would half the h-a-b distance
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:04 pm
It's not when they let the water rip, it's for when they shut things down and the force of the water causes a massive reverse surge.
Ta for clarification
From memory it's actually quite hard to see into it as the security fence is well back from the edge, understandably as it's shaped like the horn of a trumpet and you really, really wouldn't want to fall in it :shock:
True! I read a while ago it's around 1500' deep so that would be quite a memorable (for a while) fall :smile: .