Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Todays ride

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:55 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:12 am didn't mean I lied, but rather might have withheld some minor sections of info
That's cracking - I'm going to use that line when Mrs P next tells me off for fibbing about something!
Lol... Reg, I think Dans talking about the section he's seen riding up. Lol, he actually walked it up most of it but I forced him to get on the bike for the 'MBR' photoshot/shop :o :lol: He must've hated me for it :grin: Dan, correct me if I'm wrong...

One minor but I forgot to report on (in case Dan wonders how I finally released the evil zip ties from my chain whilst he was stood further down the trail). I pulled out my curved sewing needle and wedged it in the tie... :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf, was that "gnnnarly steep section" at Holt Head? I seem to remember it being OK, but then I started at Castle Hill so only had 10 or 12km in my legs.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:12 am
ledburner wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:43 pm I see you don't let the truth taint a good story! :-bd :grin: :lol:
Just to clarify. Dan didn't mean I lied, but rather might have withheld some minor sections of info that stay on the trail :smile: Can't wait for our next ride and thanks to the Mary Townley Loop we found you :-bd
No you didn't lie, but had a different perspective on events ( or selective recall in the political domain.), yo also had a different vantage generally being further up the hill...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

whitestone wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:52 pm Shaf, was that "gnnnarly steep section" at Holt Head? I seem to remember it being OK, but then I started at Castle Hill so only had 10 or 12km in my legs.
What the picture didn't show was at that ex I stall by stalled & veering towards the grass bank. My upper body still had some inertia, which was dissapated by my involuntary sliding forward on the saddle. I don't recommend using a gusset, padded or otherwise, as a deceleration device. Think almost carpet burns in a delicate area... :shock:
It's some thing I don't wanna repeat.... (Though I sure they'll be a dedicated forum somewhere...).
Changes the subject quickly....
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:31 pm No you didn't lie, but had a different perspective on events
Another corker right there! I've got some great responses for Mrs P next time now, thanks men.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Alternative facts was the one that trump's press team came up with.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:26 pm .

Then a gnarly steep section came which I've not managed to ride up with Egen on the past few occassions. But not so with 'aaar Stan'. So I got to the top and watched Dan make light work of it with his Franky bike....
..... Thanks Dan and thanks for putting up with me :-bd

ledburner wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:41 pm
whitestone wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:52 pm Shaf, was that "gnnnarly steep section" at Holt Head? I seem to remember it being OK, but then I started at Castle Hill so only had 10 or 12km in my legs.

What the picture didn't show was at that exact moment I stall by veering towards the grass bank. My upper body still had some inertia, which was dissapated by my involuntary sliding forward on the saddle. I don't recommend using a gusset, padded or otherwise, with the saddle as a deceleration device. Think almost came to undercarriage friction burns. :shock

Fairer company (in mustard attire), in our presence, prevented me from vocalising my distress. (that sounds so Daily Wail, (other tabloid press available) :roll:)

It's some thing I don't wanna repeat.... (Though I sure there's a dedicated forum somewhere if that's their idea of a good time...). :roll:

Changes the subject quickly.... Err nice weather today, erm your bikes looking good... :mrgreen:
redefined_cycles

:lol:
RIP wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:45 pm
ledburner wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:31 pm No you didn't lie, but had a different perspective on events
Another corker right there! I've got some great responses for Mrs P next time now, thanks men.
redefined_cycles

That's the one Bob... usually its pretty easy going but for the past month or so it seems to have gotten slightly worse. Yesterday wasn't too bad and just about rideable. Pretty certain Dan would've got up it all if he hadn't brought the kitchen sink :grin:

I also took a look at my mech and realised what got it jammed and in a tither. Seems the mud out of Dewsbury had gotten stuck into the jockey wheels and once we tried to get up them final cobbles up Wessy it just refused to roll well. Rohloff folks wouldn't know what I'm talking about I assume...

Good ride and can't wait to go back with a proper metal bike. If the mech does jam again hopefully it'll not cause the alu to pull itself apart (design failure I reckon)..
Dean

Post by Dean »

My crank fell off! Went out for my evening exercise, got about 5km into a 40km ride and at the bottom of a steep hill my left foot moved slightly on one pedal stroke and on the next it was on the ground still clipped in...

Luckily there was a flatish forestry road almost all the way home so I dabbed and one-leg pedalled slowly home. Will inspect it in daylight tomorrow.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Yesterday's ride was an absolute gem of a day, already a highlight of this year. Rode to Crickhowell through very wet mist, met my cycling buddy for the day there, and on we went up the back lane towards the start of Gospel Pass. As we climbed higher, the sun broke through, or we broke through the mist. Image9adaed5bdf64bd5371f21914ac0938ef.0 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
A detour to pay our own little pilgrimage to that special little church in Patrishow, where sat and contemplated for a while among the snowdrops, sun on our faces, and a friendly robin for company. (that hill though!!)
Image450f29be11055b37d84aafeb1e5fbe94.0 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Imagedd86bab1300739eed9a8c6f8b39d1d2f.0 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
Our only hommage to all things off road was a short section of porterage through a field next to the road, as our way was blocked by some hedge cutting operations.
ImageIMG_20210227_173207 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
A little stop at Llantony Abbey, of course, always a favourite.
Imageccb532549534be805be9e1a7b7f987dd.0 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
And finally a rare photo of me, which is because it is very rare that I ride with anyone else - which I think is basically a confidence/ fear of being too slow/ too crap (need to work on that)
ImageIMG-20210227-WA0015 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
So as well as being a spectacularly beautiful ride, and a chuffingly big one by my standards, the company was great too. The guy I rode with is someone from work who I have known to be a proper proper roadie for a few years, sort of from an awed/ intimidated distance; we've had a bit more contact recently and turns out he is just so nice that I threw all my usual reluctance to the wind - always nice to discover a new cycling buddy, right?
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd ( actually a bit jealous, you really caught the weather there ).
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Lovely ride and that last photo's great, Verena . One for the mantlepiece :-bd .
May you always have tail wind.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:25 am Yesterday's ride was an absolute gem of a day.... rare that I ride with anyone else - which I think is basically a confidence/ fear of being too slow/ too crap (need to work on that)
ImageIMG-20210227-WA0015 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
So as well as being a spectacularly beautiful
For me cycling is getting out and enjoy good company and scenary. If I was trying to out do last weeks company, shaf, I'd be so disappointed I never of got out of the back door.. The miles don't matter, the above does.

* after a lot of cunning :???:, I managed to get a few miles on him, but it was only 2/3 of what he had planned. :grin:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

As high pressure was on us today only one thing was called for, what I use to call Big Mountain Action!
Instead of driving to my start line I started and finished from home so I kept in line with the Welsh Government guidance.
So after a belly full of wine and beer from yesterday I got out of bed at 5am and was out of the door 20 minutes later on the Bucksaw which is now out of hibernation!
Obviously the roads on a Sunday morning were dead! Within an hour I was at a summit cairn were I waited for the next 45 minutes to watch the sunrise with a coffee in hand. It was cold and frosty and I soon got quite chilly due to the sweaty ride after yesterdays drinks!
ImageIMG_20210228_171922_756 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210228_071533 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210228_071334 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Then it on up to the summit on the right hand side of the pic
Image20210228_080848 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

The climb up to Drum was as tough as ever and even harder when you start at sea level
Image20210228_101854 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

But I was going up a bit more, Foel Fras next
Image20210228_101907 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

And the views were just what I needed after all this c7ap of the last few months
Image20210228_102809 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Looking west from Foel Fras
Image20210228_111037 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

There's a nice little seated 'throne' type thing which offered some shelter from the very gentle breeze
Image20210228_112619 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

It has a nice view too
Image20210228_111626 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Onwards to Foel Grach to the Rufuge hut
Image20210228_121911 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Usually I'd keep going to Carnedd Llewellyn but today I thought I'd ride a track I hadn't been on in over 10 years. Its the faint track to the south of Bera Back and Drosgl. Again the views were to die for so I kept stopping for a chill out
Image20210228_132429 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210228_124907 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Its a track, honest!
Image20210228_132938 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Drosgl in the background with the track that I came down to the right
Image20210228_133638 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Foel Grach in the centre with Carnedd Llewellyn to the right
Image20210228_133653 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Then an even fainter track which descended into numerous sheep tracks down to Aber Falls which was pretty gnarly tbh, no pics but should have video footage though (film coming soon)
Image20210228_135540 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210228_141252 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

What a day!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Went out on the tandem with the boy, over Stanage edge, along the road and up to Burbage north, and then back home. 13 miles, plenty of up and down, tasty picnic and an all round excellent couple of hours out! I've been riding, running and walking around the peaks all my life, and never seen it as busy as today. Still managed to find a quiet eating spot on top of Stanage though 😀

Verena

Post by Verena »

That looks epic Jeff!

And yours looks great too Paul, different experience with a youngster and a picnic.

The Brecon Beacons looked busy too with walkers, even though they are shut. People just parked on the verge just outside the access road to the car park which says it's closed.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Longer ride on the Terravail Rutlands. I like. A lot. Similar to a Nano 40 but in 650x47 flavour.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

ledburner wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:42 pm I did about a third of Shafs (redefine_cycles) North Peak 100. Unfortunely 2 mechanical issues put an end to Mr Shafs ride, the said cycles was truly Shaf(T)ed. :o single speed conversion out in the field/or wild. It also included a reminder why we should carry spare cable ties. And how undoing them is so much fun with the wrong tools. Shafs frame is a Sonder Transmitter special edition Carbon Rift. Cracking reviews! He can explain. It also included a Impromptu master class in

Later in the ride I had an unscheduled bike wash & immersion up to the axles. The innocuous puddle wanted to be a pond!

I think a strip of XT hub, Xt Hollowtech bracket and a Rohloff hub are urgently required [/i].

Any advise is politely requested and will be graciously accepted and appreciated. This is of course besides the obvious
'Don't do it again' flavour.

Top (clockwise) Wesseden reservoirs; The Pond, Mother of all puddles. ;wet shoes, dry socks, save the day; The most mangled Mech.

Food an refreshments were hard to come by.

Top (clockwise) The only chip show closed until further notice; The wooden shed has fallen down ;The only available snack, but others got there first.

In the mech photo is that a chip out of the carbon fibre and further fwd (relative to bike) a distinct black line across the chainstay Shaf?
redefined_cycles

SeannyD wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:08 pm . Shafs frame is a Sonder Transmitter special edition Carbon Rift. Cracking reviews! He can explain. It also included a Impromptu master class in (ed: chain fettling)

Top (clockwise) Wesseden reservoirs; The Pond, Mother of all puddles. ;wet shoes, dry socks, save the day; The most mangled Mech.

In the mech photo is that a chip out of the carbon fibre and further fwd (relative to bike) a distinct black line across the chainstay Shaf?
[/quote]

Here we go Sean... tried to reproduce the same angle of the pic Dan took. Honest answer, I'm not sure :smile: ...

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:49 pm
SeannyD wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:08 pm . Shafs frame is a Sonder Transmitter special edition Carbon Rift. Cracking reviews! He can explain. It also included a Impromptu master class in (ed: chain fettling)

Here we go Sean... tried to reproduce the same angle of the pic Dan took. Honest answer, I'm not sure :smile: ...

[/quote]
Sean I belive the line you saw, was the edge of frame protection tape? I didn't see any thing when shaf was doing the chain shortening...
redefined_cycles

Yes... that'll be it. I cut away some frame wrap yesterday whilst cleaning it up before posting the pics in that 'what would you do'thread. The endge of the wrap had a bit of mud ingress which I removee then cut...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Extended comutte, out along the Tennyson trail, as I was riding west, head down so the peak of my cap would keep the sun out of my eyes, I glanced back to see the dust hanging in the air behind me, kicked up by my enthusiastic pace, had to have a second look to make sure I'd not imagined it :grin:

Later I stopped to talk to an old bloke out walking his dog, he said it was going to snow at the weekend :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Boab

Post by Boab »

Woke up at 04:30 and couldn't get back to sleep, so read my book until it was time to head out on the bike at 06:30. Poottled down to Saffron Walden, then decided to take in a gravel byway on the way back, as it's been drying out nicely.

Took in another bridleway, just to check conditions and see if it's worth switching the tyres back to the GravelKing SK's. Shortly there after, the chain jumped onto the edges of the rear cassette, and started making a racket. I'll change down and see if it pops back on, I thought. The rear derailleur had other ideas, jammed and slotted itself into the rear wheel. Luckily I heard, and felt, it go, so had stopped pedalling and hauled both brakes on.

I shortened the chain and tried to gently ride home in singlespeed mode. The cassette and chain are so worn though, that it kept skipping and randomly jumping up and down sprockets. Cue much screaming into the existential void as I kept on having to stop every 50 metres and put the chain back on, or force it back into a smaller sprocket so I could actually pedal. I may have done a Zülle and thrown the bike into the verge at one point.

I appear to have got away without damaging the rear wheel, but the derailleur and chain are FUBAR. Might have to borrow one of the kids bikes to get this months BaM in...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Oh Golly gosh.

Cogus Deraili fatalis a fatal condition affecting 2 wheeled semi and self propelled types of transportation. :o

Singlus speedii and internalii gearus varieties are so far reported as, having natural Immunity.** :wink:
At the moment :grin: