Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: Todays ride

Post by Verena »

MuddyPete wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:34 pm Snow's gone :cry: .
Winter's over :smile: .
Awaiting snowdrops :grin: .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKiu11qlKB1 ... tynachzayj
Saw my first proper snowdrops today, and daffodils, on what I realized is probably my last ride of January. Can't wait for spring to come, but in a strange way I'll also be missing winter riding....

Would send some pics but they were sub standard I think, and I dropped my phone into my bowl of soup when I got home.... currently drying out on the radiator.... hoping the soup was thick enough and I was quick enough to save it and it will survive....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

We're having a remarkable January.

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Man I miss visiting your neck of the woods Scotroutes.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Jurassic wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:06 pm Man I miss visiting your neck of the woods Scotroutes.
Me too....and I've never even been there :grin: !
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'd say "all welcome", but... you know.... :|
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:22 pm I'd say "all welcome", but... you know.... :|
Yeah I do. :roll:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:44 pm
MuddyPete wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:34 pm Snow's gone :cry: .
Winter's over :smile: .
Awaiting snowdrops :grin: .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKiu11qlKB1 ... tynachzayj
Saw my first proper snowdrops today, and daffodils, on what I realized is probably my last ride of January. Can't wait for spring to come, but in a strange way I'll also be missing winter riding....

Would send some pics but they were sub standard I think, and I dropped my phone into my bowl of soup when I got home.... currently drying out on the radiator.... hoping the soup was thick enough and I was quick enough to save it and it will survive....
There's another daffy in your house :grin:.
Oops, it least it wasn't the toilet.
First make sure the phone is turned off.
Put the phone in a bag of rice it will absorb any moisture., I hope thd soup wasn't 'acidic'
Eg tomato. That will slowly cause corrosion. :cry:. With the phone off, it slows down the corrosion process. (Or electricity speeds it up... it).
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Verena

Post by Verena »

ledburner wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:58 am
Put the phone in a bag of rice it will absorb any moisture., I hope thd soup wasn't 'acidic'
Eg tomato. That will slowly cause corrosion. :cry:. With the phone off, it slows down the corrosion process. (Or electricity speeds it up... it).
Thanks. It seems to have survived the experience so far :-bd

It was cream of celery by the way, so not very acidic...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:29 pm It was cream of celery by the way
Quite unusual, not had it for yonks. Home made or tin? Quite fancy some now! That's not a request to send some over don't worry :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:56 pm
Verena wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:29 pm It was cream of celery by the way
Quite unusual, not had it for yonks. Home made or tin? Quite fancy some now! That's not a request to send some over don't worry :wink: .
Homemade.

Sure thing, I'll send some - what's your fax number please?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Probably better teleported :wink: - Galactic Coordinates X53-aQZz/5(58.6). I've got a bread roll so no need to worry on that score.

Yum!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:29 pm
ledburner wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:58 am
Thanks. It seems to have survived the experience so far :-bd

It was cream of celery by the way, so not very acidic...
So I deduce Apple and celery go together as we suspected. :cry:
(old Blackberries and celery may not.). :-bd
Last edited by ledburner on Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: So I deduce Applie and celery go together as we suspected. :cry:
Indeed they do. No apple in Verena's soup though? Blackberry and celery would be quite a courageous soupy combination....

Verena

Post by Verena »

Apple?!?! :o surely not, we're talking frugal lifestyles here - I'm an Alcatel girl :cool:

I'll try the blackberry and celery soup one day 😀 , interesting colour I should imagine...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Saturday above
Sunday below

CLICK HERE
https://flic.kr/p/2kxvwx4
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:13 pm
ledburner wrote: So I deduce Applie and celery go together as we suspected. :cry:
Indeed they do. No apple in Verena's soup though? Blackberry and celery would be quite a courageous soupy combination....
Waiter! waiter! There's a phone in my soup....
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:32 pm Apple?!?! :o surely not, we're talking frugal lifestyles here - I'm an Alcatel girl :cool:

I'll try the blackberry and celery soup one day 😀 , interesting colour I should imagine...
... Appealing like cold red cabbage, roast carrots, bangers & spuds. :cry:
Served on a pretty plate, presentation is every thing... :shock: :lol:
Attachments
IMG_01022021_004928_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg
(81.68 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
Verena

Post by Verena »

JohnClimber wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:50 pm Image

Saturday above
Sunday below

CLICK HERE
https://flic.kr/p/2kxvwx4
Love all your photos of Liverpool. A little city break there is now on my top three list of things I want to do as soon as we're allowed to travel again...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Verena wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:37 am Love all your photos of Liverpool. A little city break there is now on my top three list of things I want to do as soon as we're allowed to travel again...
Let me know if you need a city, beach and countryside cycle guide up here :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Got out for a few hours yesterday morning, just enough snow to make things pretty, not so much to make it treacherous.
A nice loop pootling around easy trails and great scenery. Did my bit to help by picking up a dog poo bag (thankfully empty), and managed to pass it on to a grateful dog owner. If we could all remove one piece of litter every time we're out, it'd make things better.
Managed some excellent moments of gate synchronicity with a few fell runners (I think it ended up 2-1 in my favour, that'll teach them to overtake me on the uphills!), and ended up back home with a smile on my face to match the one I found on a gatepost:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKuhvZVl8UZ/
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Rode to work yesterday eve for the night shift. Managed to somehow fit my mask into the saddlepack which I've never been able to do before. Non saggy too but I later realised I must've been fresh. Been a long time since the ride to work.

Got to Towton and beyond and the turning to Ulleskelf didn't have flood signage to it. Last yes as it happens in middle of Feb I ignored the Flood, Rd Closed stuff and then almost ended up swimming. All was well as the bit last year that had me turn round - as I'd got above the belly button but more importantly there was an abandoned car with just the roof showing - now was all clear with just flood water in the woodlands to the sides. There was a number plate stuck to the bushes and I assume this was a momento left for that there car from last year.

All was well and slowly signage started appearing 'Road Closed Ahead'. But I'm on my bike, bikes get through anything, we all know that. Plus the signage isn't actually blocking the road to shout at me, 'STOP YOU IDIOT'.

Merrily I rode and suddenly that 'stop... idiot' one came. Naturally i continued as there was only 15 miles left. I could smell work. Round the corner and there it was. Flood and flood water, but I'm 'on me bike' and can get through anything. Few more metres later and the whit line started looking deeper under water like I'm entering a pool. About turn, Abort... Abort. Quickly used my noggin, dipped feet in the water as it'd be impossible to to a Uee.

Went back a few 100 ft, examined my map and realise I might be able to use someones land. With permission off course as I had my badge. Enter 'Something Something Farm'. I'd happily knock on a door and explain myself, threten to flash my badge, they'd say, 'no, not at all, just mind the gate'.

That was all in my head. Before I even had time to figure out how to summon the lady in the window, another lady turns up. Enquiring... then another lady, bigger, rounder, elderlyer with her husband beating red fluffy nightgown. I explain that I've come in peace and trying to get to said place of work to the ICU and that I have my badge. Thinking they'll never want to see my badge, the man-beating nightgown lady asks me to show it. I pull it out and afraid I'm gonna get a lashing ask her if she'd like me to take off my helmet cos 'its really me'. "It's muddy, mind yourself" she says and phew I think.

Then they explain that I might mudplug their land but how'll I get past Cawood bridge. That's an evil bridge and I have bad memories of detouring it from years ago. Darn, I'll just have to turn back round and go the long way.

48 miles and a phone call to work later I finally arrive at work. Knackered and cold. Only had to walk the once to warm the good old feet up as it turned out the flood water must've been deeper than my ankles.

Next morning (today) it's snowy and I'm tired so I decide to grab the train. First mission, to try and wrap my PPE back into my pack tidily. Failed miserably and looked embarrasing...

Then I go fetch my train and see this royal looking carriage across the way. Enquired about it from one of the fat conductors (really), but she was honest that she didn't give a darn about such things. So all we really know is that its called the Royal Sovereign and it's double butted.

Train journey home was interesting and in between snoozing and trying not to bite my tongue off - I always do that after a night shift when I use the train, must stop using the evil things - I managed to get some nice crisp pics.
Such a shame I never I wasn't quick enough on the 'snap' button.

Got home and .anaged to do my first ever gravel-bike snow extravaganza. Interesting trying to keep my balance and as we can see the saggy bag was looming sorry for itself.

Hope noone noticed as this is so uncool... Should've gone to Carradice (coming soon courtesy of nice man Mr Boner :-bd )...
redefined_cycles

THE END
Dean

Post by Dean »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 pm THE END
I have never understood how you can cycle so far to do such a demanding job,

If you do continue to use the Ortlieb bag I always mention this strap which will help the bouncing sag, I have successfully used it to take assorted food shopping home: https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/seat-pack-support-strap
redefined_cycles

Dean wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:58 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 pm THE END
I have never understood how you can cycle so far to do such a demanding job,

If you do continue to use the Ortlieb bag I always mention this strap which will help the bouncing sag, I have successfully used it to take assorted food shopping home: https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/seat-pack-support-strap
Thanks Dean. I think I can answer the job thing first. In 2011, Leeds General, best manager in the world Gemma Gregory (name changed now after marriage I believe and now a senior nurse/matron) interviewing me for the job asked how I'd manage the stress of the job. Told her I planned to cycle in to work as much as I can. She was satisfied and possibly that one answer got me the job.

Them commutes were a measly 15 miles either way but on a mountain bike :grin: Regards the strap, the mask/power pack just about fit my Ortlieb anyway so I will most likely retire that bag once I manage to identify which Carradice is to be my loyal companion/compatriot.

NB. Thank God for trains
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Having sorted my bottom bracket out I thought I'd go for a ride, you know, just to make sure I'd done it properly.

Although it looked pretty the snow was pretty damp stuff and there was about 7cm of it. Did a slow loop near home linking up a couple of bridleways.

You should be able to just make out the chimney of the local mill, now non working, which supposedly has the largest indoor water wheel in the UK. This descent was fun with wet snow over wet grass leading to a few sideways moments along with those "Oh, OK, I was going this way anyway" route non-options.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry