Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Todays ride

Post by Boab »

TLDR; Completed the #FestiveBollocks yesterday and am enjoying the #FestiveFuckAll today.

Given we're in Tier 4, I didn't really think it was that appropriate to be heading off on +160 km single loops around the countryside. That I wouldn't be able to stop at friendly local cycling cafés, was also a bit of a downer, so I decided to use the house as a pretend cycling café.

On Boxing Day, I headed out on one of my usual morning loops, of around fifty eight and a bit kilometres. Stopped back at the house for coffee and to fill the water bottle, before heading out and doing the same loop again. More coffee and cake at the end of that loop, a change of upper body clothing, then one final loop.

It was relatively mild, with a sharp penetrating wind, and the last 25 km of each loop were into that wind. I was suitably knackered at the end.

After a day of rest, I headed out again on Monday, as it was still Boxing Day, the roads were nice an quiet. Using the house as a café stop again, I chose a different loop, this time, just over sixty kilometres. The first loop was, er, interesting, and I did get off and walk down one bit that was doing a fantastic impersonation of an ice rink.

It looked like the sun was about to come out at the end of the first loop, but instead a wall of freezing fog rolled in. This made the second loop worse than the first, as the freezing damp cold slowly penetrated pretty much every bit of clothing I had on. After more coffee and cake, it was a complete change of upper body clothing and I headed out for the last loop wearing a waterproof jacket and 3/4 length over trousers.

Yesterday, I headed out on yet another loop. The weather couldn't have been more different, with light winds and sunshine; I even had a shadow for large parts of the ride. The first loop was freezing, my feet were like blocks of ice after 30 km and took a while to thaw out during the first café stop; I was really grateful for the underfloor heating.

It was glorious, if Baltic on that first loop.

It warmed up significantly after the first café stop, and I could feel my toes for the entirety of the next two loops, which was nice. The vast majority of the ice melted too, which meant that I could go a bit quicker, although my average speed was, on the whole, woeful.

I spent a large proportion of the last loop pondering if I should keep going at the end, and tick over 200 km for the ride. I'm not sure why I do this to myself, I still had a long way to go, was getting tired, and the temperature was dropping. Why not just be satisfied with what you'd planned...? As I mentioned in another thread, one of my aims next year, is to appreciate what I have, more than I do now. So I had a word with myself.

So with about 10 km left, I found myself listing what I was grateful for:

- I am grateful to have the opportunity to, essentially, waste a day riding my bike
- I am grateful to see a hunting barn owl
- I am grateful to see that sunrise
- I am grateful to have an understanding wife, who doesn't bat (much of) an eyelid when I say I'm popping out for a quick ride, only to return eight hours later
- I am grateful to have seen a herd of deer
- I am grateful not to have been smeared all over the tarmac by that fucking inattentive arsehole in that Mini
- I am grateful for Panettone
- I am grateful for seeing two herons in a field
- I am grateful for completing the #Festive500

I finished the loop, climbed off my bike and went and had a bath.

I must give an honourable munchion to the café. Cold brew coffee and tonic water, and as much Panettone and flpjack as I could eat, magic.

Overall - Distance: 543.0 km; Moving Time: 22h 36m; Elevation Gain: 4,102 m
Ride 1 - Distance 175.09 km; Elev Gain: 1,401 m; Time: 7h 10m
Ride 2 - Distance: 180.47 km; Elev Gain: 1,391 m; Time: 7h 41m
Ride 3 - Distance: 187.52 km; Elev Gain: 1,310 m; Time: 7h 44m

The one benefit of doing loops, was that I could change and swap clothing around and see what worked and what didn't. The Madison neoprene glove I bought a few month back, for instance, take about 10 km to warm up, it wasn't pleasant finding this out, but I'm glad I have, as now I know. Similarly, my leg warmers aren't warm enough for sub-zero temperatures, it also wasn't pleasant finding that out...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

K1100T wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:57 am TLDR; Completed the #FestiveBollocks yesterday and am enjoying the #FestiveFuckAll today.

So with about 10 km left, I found myself listing what I was grateful for:

- I am grateful to have the opportunity to, essentially, waste a day riding my bike
- I am grateful to see a hunting barn owl
- I am grateful to see that sunrise
- I am grateful to have an understanding wife, who doesn't bat (much of) an eyelid when I say I'm popping out for a quick ride, only to return eight hours later
- I am grateful to have seen a herd of deer
- I am grateful not to have been smeared all over the tarmac by that fucking inattentive arsehole in that Mini
- I am grateful for Panettone
- I am grateful for seeing two herons in a field
- I am grateful for completing the #Festive500

I
Cracking pictures,
Was the cafe expensive? I'd find it hard to leave, and do the last run home. :roll:

I'm grateful for the crap days, that make the good days do much better... :grin:

I'm grateful for what I have and most for acquiring the wisdom, with ago, that you don't fully appreciate what you've got until it has gone... So trying to be more humble....
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Good effort that man. Not sure I have the mental capacity for that approach.

On the neoprene glove front - I can't recommend them for bivvying when it's cold. Any moisture in them will chill/freeze overnight and you'll never get them warm enough next day.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:29 am
ledburner wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:12 pm Somehow your description has made it less appealing, :sad:
Sorry about that :smile: . I was a right grumpyboots yesterday - poor old Pete - partly because it's approaching the time I'd normally be jumping on a train to Welsh Wales for the Real Winter Event but also because we'd agreed to have a nice little brew and cake at the Tree Cathedral but...

I was planning on taking a proper teapot, sugar lumps and tongs, milk jug, an Edwardian teacup, plus a cakestand and some of those little mini fondant cakes and sarnies with the crusts cut off, and a little tablecloth. But then Mrs P told me I wasn't allowed to buy the cakes (something to do with a surfeit of mincepies or somesuch bollox) and then I couldn't find the 3-tier (not Tier 3 :grin:) cakestand. I was about to nip out to the AgeUK shop where I always find these things in an emergency but realised everywhere was shut due to sodding T4.

So I suddenly lost my rag big time and just took two oatbars and a bottle of water which somehow didn't provide the same level of dining pleasure.
I had a great time :lol:
May you always have tail wind.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

K1100T wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:57 am ...an honourable munchion...
Oooo...that is such a great phrase :-bd .

It conjures-up an image of the chairman of the cycling club addressing the proprietor of the cafe formally, to give enthusiastic (but succinct) praise for most agreeable light refreshments.

Please tell me it's a typo :YMPRAY:.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Woke up to about 3" of fluff so quickly got my stuff together and headed out. Of course by the time I'd got going the snow had turned to sleet then rain. Therefore I decided to head straight for the hills in a bid to outrun the freezing level. After a mercifully short section of road covered in wet ice along which I slithered it was up, up and.... push. An hour of extremely hard climbing later (the freezing level beat me) I reached the summit of whitewisp hill (646m) and a nice gale from the north. I was now in deep snow that was drier than below but still heavy going. Ground may way along the ridge to Innerdownie hill (611m) and stopped for a late lunch in a nice stone shelter. Oddly there was no one else around.....
On the long descent I was off several times on the off camber trail. Lower down it got progressively more porridge like and then that truly lethal combination of off-camber grass covered in slush. I slithered my way down, up, along, down and finally out of it. Fortunately the icy roads of this morning were slushy. 45k took me 4 3/4 hours, thats how good it was...
Boab

Post by Boab »

ledburner wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:21 pm Was the cafe expensive? I'd find it hard to leave, and do the last run home. :roll:
The food and coffee were free*, but the chores... 😂
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:25 pm Good effort that man. Not sure I have the mental capacity for that approach.
Not sure it's something I want to pursue again, to be honest. Three different loops of 60 km each, would probably have been better. 🤷
MuddyPete wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:33 pm
K1100T wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:57 am ...an honourable munchion...
Oooo...that is such a great phrase :-bd .

It conjures-up an image of the chairman of the cycling club addressing the proprietor of the cafe formally, to give enthusiastic (but succinct) praise for most agreeable light refreshments.

Please tell me it's a typo :YMPRAY:.
Straight from Off Menu with Ed Gamble and James Acaster.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Today's ride was as much about the destination as the ride. I wanted to go to my workshop to pick up some tools and also I had a small job to do. Driving there doesn't technically comply with the Tier 4 regulations but if it is exercise then that's fine. I knew it would be cold there so I took some extra clothes and this would hopefully stop the riding kit getting dirty when there. I put the small Apidura bag on and it looks tiny compared to the myog one I needed for the kit for last months winter bivi.

I probably should be working on changing the bulkhead on the Land Rover to get that through the MOT and back on the road but covid restrictions mean getting it blasted and painted isn't going to happen anytime soon :sad:

The job I needed to do was to put a female thread into some bar end plugs to attach my myog pogies. I wanted the hole to be central so the obvious thing to do is...

I actually put the lathe in neutral and turned the chuck by hand as they were easy to drill and that way it wouldn't get out of hand and end up wrecking them. Then a M5 rivnut finished off the job :-bd

I rode there on the road as I didn't want to have to wash all the kit again, the mud here means that you end up covered as soon as you go off-road. A 25 mile round trip seems a lot of effort to drill some bar end plugs but what else can we do in Tier 4, there's only so many YouTube videos of hammocks I can watch in a day :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

As the hills still had their winter jacket on I had to get out again. This time from the front door up Conwy mountain and up to Tal y Fan (where the snow was). It was a bit deep a fluffy in places but still so much fun. It was a mud bath lower down though...
Image20210102_130544 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210102_125755 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210102_121319 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

It has potential if you don't mind sharing with sheep sh!t
Image20210102_122410 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210102_130533 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210102_132329 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20210102_144429 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Here are my gaiters, promise!
Image20210102_144457 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I'd be happy to ride through the mud to get to snow, here it only gets me to more mud, not that I'm jealous.... checks forecast for snow.... none due here yet :sad:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Verena

Post by Verena »

I just couldn't resist today, getting out into the snow as it was falling even down at town level, and taking a sneak peak preview at one of my more "interesting" GRs for next weekend - one of several "fords".

ImageIMG_20210102_111710 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

I think it is fair to say this is one of the lesser used ROW in Powys we talked about a few weeks ago,,,, so much so that I felt perfectly safe to leave my bike on the track to go fight my way through the vegetation to try and find the river and said "ford" without any worries of it getting nicked.

ImageIMG_20210102_113200 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210102_113307 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Hmmm. Even getting down to the water would be a challenge. Water levels rise and fall quickly here in the Usk, but.....

ImageIMG_20210102_113956 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Headed round to the other side. Aptly named pub, but the signage was quite clear. And it didn't look any more inviting from over here.

ImageIMG_20210102_120419 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210102_120525 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20210102_120849 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

But there was a really nice lock on the gate.

ImageIMG_20210102_121110 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Think I'll be needing to pack this.

ImageIMG_20210102_141054 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

:grin:

Sneak previews are always risky. Guess it answers the question I asked you about Usk water levels! Still time to invest in that packraft that you've always wanted...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

I can remember having a look-see at that ford back in the 80s/90s sometime. No problems getting to the river from the north but no chance of crossing or getting up the bank the other side.
Some time since then the pub has changed its signage to depict an old Ford motor vehicle rather than the original meaning.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Rode for just an hour today in the cold and dark, don't know how far (not really concerned by distance). Just trying to get out of the house and on the bike is a challenge at the moment. Riding so little now that I am not commuting.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

First C2WFH of 2021 :-bd .

A tad nippy: pity the woodland coffee hut wasn't open :roll: . T'was early, though... :grin:

Working from home is the perfect excuse to cycle to work: or just have a lie-in :-bd .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJoi_ABlHwX ... 5acifa6zpj
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

psling wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:14 pm I can remember having a look-see at that ford back in the 80s/90s sometime. No problems getting to the river from the north but no chance of crossing or getting up the bank the other side.
Some time since then the pub has changed its signage to depict an old Ford motor vehicle rather than the original meaning.
We need Banksey or his mate the_opposite_banksey to raise the water level on the Ford motor sign, then the meaning is restored! :grin:.

Verena an interesting exploration. When it was used a aford maybe it was upto/passed the axles on a farmyard horse +cart.?. The riverbed has lowered/swept away/or been dredged. Food for thought
maybe an alpkit thin :wink: swim wetsuit is more, appropriate? BUT a bugger to back or cycle in. :sad:

RIP, 'Preview', I thought you were being too forward asking Verena to model the swimwear.. :o
psling

Post by psling »

ledburner wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:19 pm Verena an interesting exploration. When it was used a aford maybe it was upto/passed the axles on a farmyard horse +cart.?. The riverbed has lowered/swept away/or been dredged. Food for thought
I vaguely remember that the original sign was of a horse-drawn trap crossing the ford.

The nearby Monmouthshire/Brecon Canal may have had some bearing on water levels in the river when it was built (early 19th Century) and the Inn is apparently "centuries old" so it's possible the ford hasn't been realistically usable for a couple of hundred years!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Verena

Post by Verena »

It shows on the 1842 to 1952 OS map - sorry tried screenshot but didn't work https://maps.nls.uk/view/101605484

O no, you've released my inner map geek :ugeek: !!
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:19 pm RIP, 'Preview', I thought you were being too forward asking Verena to model the swimwear.. :o
Noo-o-o.. I meant preview of the ford, man... not the cozzie! :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Why not both?

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Shmart harse! Velly clevher An velly g-ood!

Is that from your wardrobe? :grin: :lol: :-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:05 pm It shows on the 1842 to 1952 OS map - sorry tried screenshot but didn't work https://maps.nls.uk/view/101605484

O no, you've released my inner map geek :ugeek: !!
Nowt wrong with that.... :ugeek:
The devil's in the detail.
Nls maps site is really interest to see how landscapes have changed over time.. Or finding,lesser used tracks.. And their name changes
Locally, I've discovered, a lot of post war mini rural housing estates from 60" onwards, tending to mostly on the edges of villages were sited on disused isolation hospitals. Hmm what's at the bottom of the garden? :roll: :roll: :o
Verena

Post by Verena »

Landslide wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:09 pm Why not both?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A wee bit more snow overnight made todays ride very tough for its short distance.

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Hard work maybe but it looks fantastic. I keep hoping for a top up of snow here but it's just been cold and clear.