Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Todays ride

Post by redefined_cycles »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:01 pm I chose the wrong bike today, I have a perfectly good fat bike for slippery conditions but for some reason decided to ride my hardtail 29er! It was still good to be out though.
ImageThree Lochs Way in the snow. by Jurassic690, on Flickr
This looks amazing... would a 650b have been enjoyable enough on that. Still thinking of a time to plan the NorthPeaks100 in the cold. The mud will be frozen solid... :smile:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:36 pm
Jurassic wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:01 pm I chose the wrong bike today, I have a perfectly good fat bike for slippery conditions but for some reason decided to ride my hardtail 29er! It was still good to be out though.
This looks amazing... would a 650b have been enjoyable enough on that. Still thinking of a time to plan the NorthPeaks100 in the cold. The mud will be frozen solid... :smile:
Yeah, I'm sure it'd be fine in these conditions Shaf. My 29er is running Conti X-King 2.4s which aren't the grippiest tyre (they always seem to do better than I expect but have their limits). I'm lucky enough to have this terrain right on my doorstep, the photo was taken about 20 minutes riding from my house. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Jurassic wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:47 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:36 pm
Yeah, I'm sure it'd be fine in these conditions Shaf. My 29er is running Conti X-King 2.4s which aren't the grippiest tyre (they always seem to do better than I expect but have their limits). I'm lucky enough to have this terrain right on my doorstep, the photo was taken about 20 minutes riding from my house. :-bd
You mind if I nick that for the Winter313 postcard/fridge magnets. The ride is designed to toughen my roadie mates up (the big softies) and something like this on the frisge after completion should give that satisfaction...

PM me if you're ok with it and no worries if not. I must warn you that it will probably have a verse of the Quran (one of particularly hope and encouragement or similar) translated onto it (in Engleterre off course). I plan to msg BoB and that guy... Andy (the one that rides backwards), in due course too...

Thanks in advance :-bd
redefined_cycles

NB. Obviously it'll be opened/threaded somewhere on here too with maybe a Quran (transliteration) as the prize... plus the postcard... must put some thought into it*

*Postcard idea taken from the Cycling Shorts mag. He sent me one the nice chap...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:54 pm

You mind if I nick that for the Winter313 postcard/fridge magnets. The ride is designed to toughen my roadie mates up (the big softies) and something like this on the frisge after completion should give that satisfaction...

PM me if you're ok with it and no worries if not. I must warn you that it will probably have a verse of the Quran (one of particularly hope and encouragement or similar) translated onto it (in Engleterre off course). I plan to msg BoB and that guy... Andy (the one that rides backwards), in due course too...

Thanks in advance :-bd
Absolutely no problem at all, I'm flattered that you like the picture. :cool:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

We got a snow drop on the Carneddau overnight so today was play time.
Headed up to Llyn Melynllyn and back.

ImageIMG_20201228_143912_559 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20201228_143912_519 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201228_123356 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Dulyn bothy is center of pic. On my way back down, 7 scousers walking up for a night in the bothy!
Image20201228_120855 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201228_130547 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I went a bit higher and chose the right bike for the job today. Not as spectacular as Jeff's pictures but it was great fun. :-bd
ImageFat biking Hairy Tom. by Jurassic690, on Flickr
ImageFat biking Hairy Tom. by Jurassic690, on Flickr
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

More of the same today but it was sunny, what a great day for a local lockdown ride! :-bd
ImageTwin peaks by Jurassic690, on Flickr
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Sadly no pictures (got the camera out to take a shot and "Battery exhausted" appeared on screen :cry: ).

Headed up from Threshfield onto the moors between there and Malham. Black ice at lower levels meant the start was a bit dicey. Once we got higher there was just the right amount of snow on firm ground for it to be fat bike nirvana. By the time we dropped back down things had got a bit sloppy so not quite the nerve fest to get back to the car. Also a bit of cheeky path to finish off with - one of those stupid ones: a BW just finishes in the middle of nowhere, not even a field boundary, and this footpath along a vehicle track runs past it.

My Garmin accidentally hit pause so I missed about 6km of the ride. Here's Cath's Strava activity - https://www.strava.com/activities/4534986471
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Went back out into the hills this morning, this time up to Cwm Eigiau.
Better conditions as the snow is firmer for riding on. I even managed a brew at the Cwm too in the remnants of an old quarry building which I've got my eye on for a future bivvy spot.

Image20201230_104856 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201230_104848 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201230_110236 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201230_111548 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201230_114615 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201230_120006 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201230_122134 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201230_123308 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201230_123643 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201230_123740 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201230_125754 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20201230_160554 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Not quite Snowdonia but a ride to Bedfordshire's highest point at Dunstable Downs with MuddyPete.

Getting old now and need regular stops to get steam back up, so I always take advantage of any old (frozen) sofas that happen to be by the wayside.

Up onto the Downs to watch the flying bivvybags as Pete calls them. They do look very cosy. I can imagine that you could stay up there all day then at night carefully skid to a halt at a suitable bivvy spot. You'd already be in your bag in a reclined position, so make a quick brew then crash out without having to make any effort at all with sleeping kit. In the morning after your brew and porridge, pull a couple of strings and up you go again. "Paraglidepacking".

Arrive at the Whipsnade Tree Cathedral and look on the map for a brew spot. Yes of course, we chose the Lady Garden. Hmm? Oh, sorry, the Lady Chapel.

The owls watch impassively as Pete demonstrates the world's tallest brewkit and his fancy new condom mug thing.

Down the stupidly steep bridleway and back home along the bottom of the Downs.

Well gentlemen, you can either go the gloopy way, or.... the very gloopy way. The choice is yours.

r
Last edited by RIP on Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

And in other news, back at home I noticed that hand sanitiser is of course ethanol. It wasn't until I saw that specific word on the dispenser that I made the connection with the conflagration possibilities (yes I know, obvious, but a bit slow today). Dig out some cotton wool, squirt a bit of sanitiser on it, set fire to the blasted thing, and lo! I've suddenly got the ultimate in lightweight stovery - a "0g" stove :-bd . Eat yer heart out Stu. Squirted a lot more onto a couple of buds and set fire to those and managed to boil a small cup of water!

Last edited by RIP on Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

benp1

Post by benp1 »

SO jealous of the snow pics

In any other year I’d be heading off with crampons and ice axe looking for some fun. But stuck at home, boo

And no snow either!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

benp1 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:38 pm SO jealous of the snow pics

In any other year I’d be heading off with crampons and ice axe looking for some fun. But stuck at home, boo

And no snow either!
Just for you Ben - the view from our window ...

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Another day, another sunset ride up my local hill. The snow has sublimated away to the extent that it's getting a bit icy on the descent now but it's still great fun and very pretty.
ImageHairy Tom's sunset extravaganza. by Jurassic690, on Flickr
benp1

Post by benp1 »

whitestone wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:11 pm
benp1 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:38 pm SO jealous of the snow pics

And no snow either!
Just for you Ben - the view from our window ...

Now you're just taking the Mickley

I've got just above freezing with the odd slippery path. Wore trousers for the dog walk for the first time since the beginning of the year. Very damp too. But no snow, at least that would make staying at home more fun!
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Fantasy riding :-bd
summittoppler wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:16 pm
Image20201230_125754 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Chilterns reality-check :roll:
RIP wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:03 pm
:lol:
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

No wonder I was a miserable git today, thank you for putting up with it :smile: .

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Instagram:

YouTube:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Perfect snow conditions for tonight's ride.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:16 pm Perfect snow conditions for tonight's ride.

That's a grand bike shed you got there! :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:03 pm Pete demonstrates the world's highest brewkit and his fancy new condom mug thing.

r
R, Pete's got quite a brew kit,
Espressos all round. :-bd
I got one of those mugs. :grin:
Somehow your description has made it less appealing, :sad: (it's latex free).

You've been immortalised as a Jolly good brick
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Yesterday, we enjoyed the winter walk (50% non cyclists). As it was below freezing walking was easy with the bonus of snow 'crunch', (if icy bits avoided).
After leaving the 'well trodden path', by Deer Hill reservoir (near Shaf's NorthPeaks100)
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:05 pm
then climbing and crossing the Meltham moor. Higher up wading through snow covered heather was bracing. Gaiter advised but ignored by most of the party. We finally located the remains of a WWII bomber. Tragically it come down after encountering high ground in low cloud.
The crew were running in engines, after maintenance, more information. All crew member survived.
https://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.u ... tham-moor/

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Eyewitne ... 0179561745
Attachments
IMG_30122020_213024_(800_x_250_pixel).jpg
(58.42 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:12 pm Somehow your description has made it less appealing, :sad:
Sorry about that :smile: . I was a right grumpyboots yesterday - poor old Pete - partly because it's approaching the time I'd normally be jumping on a train to Welsh Wales for the Real Winter Event but also because we'd agreed to have a nice little brew and cake at the Tree Cathedral but...

I was planning on taking a proper teapot, sugar lumps and tongs, milk jug, an Edwardian teacup, plus a cakestand and some of those little mini fondant cakes and sarnies with the crusts cut off, and a little tablecloth. But then Mrs P told me I wasn't allowed to buy the cakes (something to do with a surfeit of mincepies or somesuch bollox) and then I couldn't find the 3-tier (not Tier 3 :grin:) cakestand. I was about to nip out to the AgeUK shop where I always find these things in an emergency but realised everywhere was shut due to sodding T4.

So I suddenly lost my rag big time and just took two oatbars and a bottle of water which somehow didn't provide the same level of dining pleasure.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:29 am
ledburner wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:12 pm Somehow your description has made it less appealing, :sad:
Sorry about that :smile: . I was a right grumpyboots yesterday - poor old Pete -.....

So I suddenly lost my rag big time and just took two oatbars and a bottle of water which somehow didn't provide the same level of dining pleasure.
No worries, (hopefully) today's a better day.
I hope you find your rag...
.... Maybe it's with the Edward-ian tea service? :grin:

At least you got your oats, double helping! :-bd :lol: