Bivvy a month 2015

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bivvy a month 2015

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ours looks a little tame compared to some on here though!
Nope ... that tarp looks like it could turn even the calmest night into something wild :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

You're not wrong there! Not quite sure what I was trying to achieve when I pitched it. It did flap quite a bit, and the wind changed direction to be blowing in the front, but once snug in our bags we couldn't muster the enthusiasm to get up and sort it. Funnily enough, when I pitched it in the garden yesterday to dry out I had it spot on, all taught and flap free. Funny how putting the pegs in the right loops and running the guys in the right direction can make such a difference :???:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

sean_iow wrote:Still enjoyed it and so did the wife.

That smile on your wife's face says it all really :-bd .
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That smile on your wife's face says it all really
"Thank God for that, it's finally morning and we can go home" :wink:
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

I think i can see what you tried to achieve this might help...

http://youtu.be/yMAtpWQdVbY
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think i can see what you tried to achieve this might help...
I assumed it was something along these lines?

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It was meant to be more like this, which was taken in the garden the day before.

That was still not right, it should of been one of the pitches in the video, but I hadn't appreciated that the order of placing the pegs would make a difference. :oops: The 'beak' needs to be the last bit done to get the angle right. In the rain I pegged the back and the the beak to make it free standing and then put the other pegs in. For March's I think I might have some more practice first. I might even try to locate an area of woodland for the bivi, which would eliminate the wind and allow a easier 'conventional' pitch between some trees. I'm also going to try and get March's done earlier in the month, to be able to pick better weather.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Joshvegas

Post by Joshvegas »

That set up video deals with an adjustable pole so its never going to be perfect with fixed length pole unless you put it on a tilt.

Try setting it up on the garden. Adjust to suit then drop the pole and mark/memorise where you have to bring the corners into on the open edge?

It the weather is really realky bad you can reduce the entrance further by un hooking one beak side and dragging it across to the otherside.

Stus version looks good too though i tend to favour an open end as you actually have more cover. Not as easy to string a jacket over the etrance though!
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

Another none-bike bivi I'm afraid, but possibly one of at least two this month so I'll take wheels next time.
We headed up to Dartmoor on Friday afternoon, and took in the spring sunshine before descending down into the (bike unfriendly) River Dart gorge, now in shadow.

ImageP3061328 by Dittisham Stickleback Breeding Station, on Flickr

That bit of water just visible in the valley was our final destination (although not our intended one, but Jim didn't want to wade across the river and get his tootsies chilled)

ImageP3061327 by Dittisham Stickleback Breeding Station, on Flickr

ImageP3061346 by Dittisham Stickleback Breeding Station, on Flickr

ImageP3061354 by Dittisham Stickleback Breeding Station, on Flickr

ImageP3071416 by Dittisham Stickleback Breeding Station, on Flickr

I don't generally put a tarp up if I think it might stay dry (as it did) but I wanted to test out my new bicycle 3.5 (and possibly get some respite from the almost full moon, but I fell asleep before it appeared over the hillside)

ImageLast Night's Bedroom #dartmoor #riverdart #bivouac #alpkitrig by Dittisham Stickleback Breeding Station, on Flickr

A pre-breakfast dip was most refreshing (does it still count as skinny dipping if you're only wearing a silicon swimming cap?). At least I wasn't 'swimming' in my bivi bag on this occasion, staying quite dry, unlike in Norway and on my last Dartmoor trip. (it must of been something to do with my perspiration condensing on sub zero bivi material?)
ImagePre Breakfast Plunge #sharrah #dartmoor #riverdart by Dittisham Stickleback Breeding Station, on Flickr
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A pre-breakfast dip was most refreshing
Barking :-bd
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

?
Last edited by slugwash on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slugwash

Post by slugwash »

slugwash wrote:

A pre-breakfast dip was most refreshing

Barking :-bd

I posted the abstract, out-of-focus, selfie 'cos I still had the previous evening's rehydrated chicken curry clearly visible around my mouth in the in-focus shot I took :lol:
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

My March bivi this weekend will have to be written up by me as there was no-body else there - so i can't do my usual trick of being a plus one and getting out of writing anything!

Since last March Mike and I have had a fun packed year, so it seemed quite fitting to mark the moment by . . . bikepacking some more obviously :grin: A great idea but the only downside was that Mike actually had to work for a change! For once the tables were turned as it's usually me stuck to my desk trying to still like him as he sends me pics of his travels. Thankfully he didn't grumble at me too much (but i pity the rest of his watch as i bet he wasn't a barrel of laughs when he got to the station). :-bd

I rode out to the Wyre forest near Bewdley, stopping at the chip shop briefly and then popping into the pub for a coffee. I spent a bit of time there chatting to a group of locals about the joys of bikepacking, they thought it sounded great and then went off to get a few racks of shots in them as I pedalled off into the darkness, happy that I was going to be the one feeling freshest in the morning.

It didn't take long from Bewdley to the hut, and I had the glorious sight of the moon rising as i climbed up from the river, it truly was a stunning evening.

The hut wasn't as spooky as i'd expected, I thought sleeping next to a locked (straight out of hansel and gretal - witch house type) building would be slightly unnerving but I wasn't spooked in the slightest, just very grateful for the shelter it gave from the wind. I soon had my bed sorted and settled down to have a coffee, Mike had stashed some surprises in my bag, a small bottle of baileys to go in my coffee and a couple of tiny bars of green and blacks. It's great to have a man who appreciates the lighter things in life!

The moonlight was stunning, but try as i might the photos just don't do it justice.

The night was perfect, and i had a great sleep quite excited about seeing the view and hut properly in the morning.

it truly was a great night, so mild and nice to feel that spring is on its way

didn't have too long to wait for breakfast to arrive either - he's a star :-bd
Last edited by adjustablewench on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aaah bless him, the little love. :wink:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Two fresh croissants a choc chip muffin and fresh coffee straight to the dr delivered by a good bloke :wink:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Ye Gods Wenchy that place ... allow me.

I'm just going outside ...
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

:lol: brilliant!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That building looks vaguely exciting, nice place to be able to kip

Were you carrying a pack or just packing very light? (edit - just noticed what looks like a bar harness)
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

January: In a random building between Bilbao and Burgos.

February: Secluded bay on the coast east of Aquilas, terrible tarp setup! :roll:

March: Is probably out of the window though as I've burnt my leg pretty badly. I don't think it will have healed enough to get out. :sad:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've burnt my leg pretty badly.
Sending healing vibes. What happened?
I'm just going outside ...
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

*ahem* moment of stupidity/lack of concentration with a meths burner and I set light to my knee warmer and tent. Managed to give myself a second degree burn just below my right knee. :oops:

Seems to be healing ok, but had to come back to the UK two weeks earlier than planned as I couldn't really ride and the risk of infection was high.

It's possibly one of the worst injuries I've ever sustained and yet also probably the least painful. I do feel like a prize idiot.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

4/3. Brixham Bivvy.

27 mile round trip. Weather forecast was reasonable, with little or no rain overnight, so took the plunge, left the tarp at home and set out just before 9pm on Saturday night. 1.5 hrs later, after a monster push up from Mansands beach on the South West Coast Path, found a nice flat spot, nearly out of the wind, and out of sight of the path with an Easterly view. Shame it was cloudy as the sunrise would be spectacular from there...

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hope you tied yourself on Si, looks a long way to fall in the night :wink:
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Joking apart, I arrived in full darkness. When I took a proper gander around this morning, I was nearer to the edge than I had thought!!

All part of the fun (Until someone loses an eye)...

Si
gairym

Post by gairym »

Meatloaf'd it!
Mr Loaf wrote:"Two out of three (ain't bad)"
(sincere apologies for the quality of the above 'funny')

Anyways, got back yesterday from a couple of days in the Jura mountains with Gian (Alpinium).

If you've got a fatbike I suggest you stop whatever you're doing right now, get your bike and some kit together and make your way there immediately - it is vaguely exciting!

Here are a few pics:

I plan on doing some sort of trip-report when I find time so you can look forward to that literary gem in the near future!

Right, better get back to work.....