Bivvy a month 2015

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Re: Bivvy a month 2015

Post by Taylor »

9/9

Sub12 hour trip to the woods and back in time for breakfast and the school run.
ImageIMG_2744 by flatfishrufus, on Flickr
jBay

Post by jBay »

What Taylor said - I rode & he walked
Mike

Post by Mike »

A reccy ride out with Scott to see what the route for the nov ride has instore for us. 50miles, some great new trails and tired legs saw Saturday off. It ended in a great little pub for dinner and the weather was amazing!

Image20150926_112127 by mjc_226, on Flickr
the first push
Image20150926_133412 by mjc_226, on Flickr
Just following the second push
Image20150927_092501 by mjc_226, on Flickr
The sleep in
Image1 by mjc_226, on Flickr
Image20150927_092524 by mjc_226, on Flickr
A proper lazy morning!!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

9/9 - a cracking weekend with Mike taking in Long Mynd, Stiperstones and Eastridge Wood, exploring a few bits I hadn't been on previously and revisiting some I'd forgotten about.

Greetz

S.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

6/9 Did a ride into the National Forest here in the East Midlands. Been meaning to check out a few bridlways and possibly a few cheeky options. Found a couple of nice tracks and a few dead ends. Never got round to getting the camera out.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

9\9 By Cregennen Lakes.
These very pretty lakes are in the hills across the Mawddach estuary from Barmouth. My ride started at Talybont, north of Barmouth, heading up into the hills roughly in the direction of Pont Scethyn before dropping down to the town for lunch.
Then across the railway bridge and along the Mawddach Trail to Dolgellau for an ice cream (coffee flavoured) before grinding up the tarmaced lane to the lakes, arriving at about five o'clock. Had a bowl of Ainsley Harriott Spicy Thai couscous and a couple of cups of tea 'n biccies while I waited for the light to start to fail. Very impressed with the couscous. It took just a bit of boiling water and three minutes waiting before it was ready. I added some torn-up bits of beef jerky for good measure. I had wanted to set up with my bivvy facing the lakes to have the view to wake up to but the slight breeze was coming from that direction so turned through 180 degrees and had the sunset over Barmouth instead.
I don't much like sleeping on the ground, preferring the hammock, but for this trip there was no other option. While good for hammocking, my tarp is too big as a bivvy and the large surface area made it harder to set up even in what little wind there was. I hadn't brought poles thinking I'd use the bike as I'd seen pictures of others' set-ups. Don't like it much - it makes it awkward to get in and out etc.
Next morning, out over the hills to Llwyngwril. Something strange happening here, with benches and signposts wearing knitted covers. Hmm. And this :-
on the bridge.
Climbing up into the hills again for some more spectacular views before dropping down to Fairbourne to take a ferry across back to Barmouth and lunch, again.
Last leg back to the car was along the beach. Well it is a fatbike; it'd be rude not to.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Chew

Post by Chew »

10/10

Aug - IoM
Sept - Shindig
Oct - BB200
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

10/10...slummin' it on the verandah of Llanarmon village hall with Mike 'n AW.
Llanarmon Refugee Center
Llanarmon Refugee Center
bb200_bivvy.jpg (45.54 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
Greetz

S.
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

Having missed September, 8/10.

Left after tea cycled a few miles to a local hillfort and was back for breakfast. A proper 'short ride' :mrgreen:

Forgot the hillfort isn't very high, so not the best of views. Did see an vaguely exciting shooting star though.

jBay

Post by jBay »

Local Sub12 hours motivated to leave very early by the Shooting sign.....
frogatthefarriers

11/10 Long Mynd and Newborough Forest, Anglesey.

Saturday night in forestry on Long Mynd with ride around the Stiperstones and Devils' Chair on Sunday

Then a family hammocking (son, daughter and 2 grandkids) overnighter in the Newborough Forest on Monday.
No bikes
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

First night ever spent in a hammock on South Dartmoor last night. It poured with rain and blew a gail most of the night. Somehow managed to stay dry though.

First night outside since WRT.

Felt good.

Si
frogatthefarriers

11/11 Gams Wood, Malpas.

Night Time:-
It was a warm but noisy night. I'd pitched in a hollow so the wind didn't affect me, but the noise it made in the trees above kept waking me up. That, and the owls.

Daytime:-
There were midges. In November? I'd give them as much blood as they want, but why do they have to itch so much?

On the way Home:-

That'd do you a lot of no good if you didn't see it in time, I think. I've reported it to the Council but It'll still be there in six months I bet.
Last edited by frogatthefarriers on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

11 from 11...spent the night in an old broken down barn with Steve and Rob during our little trip around the Salop hills. Got us out of the howling winds.

Greetz

S.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Did u sleep in the shed up at pole bank
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Nah...we looked at that today and were glad we didn't use it. It was damp and full of sheep sh1t. It was the one before the right hand turn to go up the forest road.

Greetz

S.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ah u tried it out, good effort. Was it as good as it looked from the Rd :0)

The weather turned out better than expected. I can't complain though got to see AW before I go on my hols next week and a little ride in too
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

The barn is fine, if not a little rickety. Guaranteed wet feet to get to it at the moment and one to enter late and leave early.

Greetz

S.
Chew

Post by Chew »

11/11

With the constant rain and the postponement of the Shropshire ride ive been waiting for a weather window.
First frost of the season and its time to head out. That great sound when you ride over frozen ground and crack through the ice of frozen puddles.

To say it was a bit nippy may have been an understatement as both my bottles froze up.
Checked out a building i'd noticed on the map, but it was locked, so settled for somewhere with a nice flat spot. Great night sky with colourful clouds and many stars out.

Gentle ride home in the morning for a brew and a bath
ton

Post by ton »

looks like to of walshaw dean does that Matt
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

School night Bivi in a field somewhere in Somerset.
Had to make a quick dash back as I'd forgotten about an appointment I had at 9.30 this morning.

11/11
jBay

Post by jBay »

Taylor wrote:School night Bivi in a field somewhere in Somerset.
Had to make a quick dash back as I'd forgotten about an appointment I had at 9.30 this morning.
What he said including beer & spring rolls, dash back remembered 3/4 of the way to overnight target :)
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I'm way short of the 11/12 I should have, but nevertheless, I did manage one last week and it was proper cold. I've posted it in trips and adventures, but I think it belongs here.
http://www.farawayvisions.com/observato ... -look-out/
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

12/12...the Cymru Winter Bivvy in the bird hide made for a good way to round out the year. Salute to everyone who got out this year in all types of weather. Raising my coffee to you all. Roll on 2016!

Greetz

S.
frogatthefarriers

12/12 on Grinshill Hill.

Yet another picture of my hammock! Yawn!

Nice Views towards Shrewsbury from up here.

So that's it. All done for this year.

Have a good Christmas everyone