HT550 Northern Loop - The Video

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ed1

HT550 Northern Loop - The Video

Post by Ed1 »

Hi,

Finally got around to sorting out the footage from our ride around the Northern loop of the HT550 that we did August Bank holiday.
A great weekend in a beautiful part of Scotland. I've rushed it unfortunately so no BAFTA's I'm afraid.
The idea behind the ride and the film was as a reccy for me and some beta for anyone that want's a crack at the full route.

Enjoy.

https://vimeo.com/109413966
ericrobo

Re: HT550 Northern Loop - The Video

Post by ericrobo »

Looks like a good trip in beautiful country... no mention of the midge ?

Not a good advert for bike packing luggage !

Enjoyed it, thanks.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Thanks Eric,

No real problems with midges for some reason, they were getting a bit active on the track past Suilven but otherwise all ok. Bonus!

Yeah, I think I should get Zoe some bit's for xmas, although when I've suggested that in the past she's always said that it would make the bike heavier for her to push when hike-a-biking.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Enjoyed that. Brought back some good memories, and glen Canisp.
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Richpips wrote:and glen Canisp.
Ha ha, yes I kinda downplayed that bit.

All I'll say is that I'm never going to do that bit in the dark ever again. ;-)
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Richpips wrote:Enjoyed that. Brought back some good memories, and glen Canisp.
Same on all counts actually. I'd forgotten how good that descent from Achfary to Kylesku was, after the horrible messy climb through the logging to reach it though. Also the descent into Achfary (just before the horses on the video) was one of my personal highlights, just a great way to lose all that height you'd taken hours to gain!
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Did Zoe have two right shoes for the whole trip?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I really enjoyed this video it brought back many memories and I could really empathise with Zoe at the end.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

Yes, Zoe packed one of my shoes by mistake and we didn't realise until the start. There's no way I would have coped in her shoes (pardon the pun).
If you noticed in the video she had a left fell shoe strapped to her rucsack which she used for the hike-a-bike.

It was a great day, the weather helped (only a couple of showers) I wasn't even phased by the dreaded peat hags before Bealach Horn. I didn't think it was that bad, for me the crux of that loop was Glen Canisp. That was a complete b*stard of a 3 hour stumble in the dark. I glossed over it in the review at the end but if I make it to the start line next year I'm going to have to make sure I tackle that section in the daylight.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Ed1 wrote:Yes, Zoe packed one of my shoes by mistake and we didn't realise until the start. There's no way I would have coped in her shoes (pardon the pun).
If you noticed in the video she had a left fell shoe strapped to her rucsack which she used for the hike-a-bike.
I dread to think how I would have coped if I was relying on wearing one of my partner's shoes. He wears size 48 and I wear 37!
Have to say I didn't notice the fell shoe, but now I feel I have to ask why she only brought ONE fell shoe? :???:
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

With hind sight she probably would have taken a pair but we didn't envisage 3+ hours of hike-a-bike.
I wear 44's to her 37's so walking in a right 44 on her left foot would have been fun!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Thread resurrection......

Nice little video and useful to watch - really looking forward to (most of) it in May.
Watching it, I recognise you both from Man O' Porage events.
Zoe almost isn't smiling at the end, which suggests that it was far from an easy day out (she's always smiling!)
Ed1

Post by Ed1 »

She wasn't quite smiling as we rolled up to the van at midnight! you're right though, she's always smiling and a lot tougher than me in some ways.

Man of Porage, did you ride with Zoe the other year in Yorkshire? She was beaming that day and that was not far off a 17 hour day.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Didn't ride with Zoe, no - took a different finish. She was riding with Joolz and Stu in the Dales. You were at this Sept too weren't you?
See you in Tyndrum :smile: