Pennine Bridleway Double - success (and failure)

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Pennine Bridleway Double - success (and failure)

Post by slarge »

So, at 5.30 Tuesday morning I got in from my first (and only) PBW double attempt. 26 hours and over 300km of riding, which for me is a record. Started at Middleton Top at 3.30am on Monday, reached Summit at 11.20 (10 mins ahead of my schedule), did the Mary Townley Loop finishing back at Summit at 7.30pm (thanks to the Shepherds Rest at Heyhead just south of Todmorden for a bowl of chips during the rainstorm/thunderstorm of biblical proportions - never seen rain like it, and I wasn't going to venture of the packhorse track in that). Was 2 hours behind schedule here partly due to sheltering for 30 mins and it also was harder than I remember).
Got to Tintwhistle at 11.00, still on track for a sub 24 hour finish,then it all fell apart. Had been dreading the climb up to Roych and it didn't let me down - was a long slow push. Then my chain snapped and it took a good 15-20 minutes to get the powerlink to click. Then just outside Wheston (and only 35km from the end) (time was now 3.00am, so well beyond a 24 hour finish) my Garmin turned itself off and wouldn't restart (despite an external battery pack). Quite dejected I eventually got back to Middleton Top at 5.30am this morning.

I am now broken, legs hurt, arse hurts, arms hurt, neck hurts. The only bits that don't hurt are a few fingers. Bike went well (apart from chain breakage and squealing brakes).

Now I've tried to download the route off the Garmin (800) and I can only get it to switch on and stay on with a hard reset. And that has just wiped all the data, so I am now properly annoyed. Last time I looked at the stats, it said 265km, circa 7000m of climbing, 8000 calories, ave speed 12.x km/hour. Seems to be a problem with Garmin 800's - a very long route can lock the unit, so I should have saved the workout midride and started a new workout.

Total stats probably about 310km, 7500m climbing, 26 hours (of which riding time around 22.5), 9000 calories burnt.

One thing has made life so much more bearable - sudocrem!!

Now back at work and my trousers feel a bit looser than Friday!!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Pennine Bridleway Double - success (and failure)

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well done that man. I've never ridden the PBW but hailing from the Peak District I fully understand your thoughts about Roych Clough ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Good effort, I'm impressed.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Great effort Steve, hope the aches clear up quickly.
The old git in the yellow socks
Ian

Post by Ian »

Nice one Steve. Pity about the GPS. I've heard that sub-24 hours is a tough one, so kudos for giving it a go and getting close :)

(I might have watch my back a bit more in the BB200 this year too by the sound if it ;) )
slarge

Post by slarge »

Aches and pains have almost gone! Bike is clean, ready to go again!! Just need the resolve and a working GPS....

Trouble is that I was well on track for sub 24 hours, my recce rides said 22 hours was possible, and up until 150 miles I was on track for 23 hours, then it all went pearshaped. Torrential rain, a small diversion, broken chain and fatigue all added up and my head went. Once that happened my legs followed soon after. I was about 2 energy bars short on the food front as well. The GPS packed up when any hope of 24 hours was gone (I think it failed at 23:55, and I was 1:30 from the finish), so then I got even slower.

I was really enjoying the first 150 miles though - the riding was good, legs felt good, mood was good, even the weather was OK (despite 3 soakings).

Still think sub 24 hours is perfectly possible, just important to eat better (I had hoped to pick up food on the way, and was dreaming of chips for a while, only to find out that chippy's up north are not plentiful or open late - it was a good job I stopped for shelter during a massive rainstorm at a pub that served food.

I travelled light, only carrying 1.5 litres of water, spare map, blanket, 1st aid kit, phone and food (malt loaf, 6 energy bars, 6 gels, 500g raisins and 2 nutrigrain bars and 2 bananas). Plus a waterproof and arm warmers, tools and spare tube. I think this was about as little as I could have got away with - any problems and I was on my own, and at 2am everywhere feels a long way away.

Not sure if I would do that ride again - but the Highland Trail race looks fantastic - just need an understanding other half!
composite

Post by composite »

Great effort fella well done.

Can you not pull the file off the GPS unit via the computer and upload it to Garmin connect/ride with GPS etc?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Just seen this, good ride Steve.
Could you drop me an email 31sataraATtiscali.co.uk (I can't find your email!)
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I can't find a GPX of this route on line anywhere.

Has anyone got one or a link to it please?

It would be a 2 days for me though :oops:
slarge

Post by slarge »

John
send me your email address and I'll send the GPX through.

(Painful memories have now faded so I am considering finishing this unfinished business - may be next year)
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

John. Likewise I should have a couple of GPX files if needed.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Steve (either one will do), any chance of a GPX over here please?
Might be a good target for next year. Thanks.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Ian
PM me your email address and I'll send it tomorrow
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

Really well done. those times are very impressive.

I'm interested to know how much training or a guide to your level of fitness. I'm about to try my first big ride (for me) at the weekend (lakeland200). It is hard to match ride reports to level of fitness. It sounds like your time means you are very well trained at that kind of distance.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Fitness wise, I would say fairly fit - I commute 12 miles each way at least 4 times per week, and generally get a 60-80 mile ride in over the weekend. It has been a build up over a few years though. Strava says I ride about 40 hours per month on average.

Most rides like this are completed in the mind. If your mind is set on finishing, you will finish - the fitness only makes it easier (and maybe faster).

The Lakeland200 is on my to do list - but knowing there's a lot of climbing, and it will be steep, and there's some pushing, a good first stab would be a 2 day ride - looking at Alan Goldsmith's time of 35 hours or so I suspect he bivvy'd out midway through.

Of the few people I know (there's lots more I don't know) who do 100mile+ rides, I think good fitness built up over years is apparent, a love of riding their bikes (often competitively - against themselves or others) and being outdoors, and a fairly strong mind are all key qualities.

Often people will have a target each year and work towards it - I know that I struggle to stay motivated without a purpose to my rides.

Enjoy the Lakeland200 - if the weather is good it should be fantastic.
greenmug

Post by greenmug »

Great feedback. Thanks.
Fingers crossed for Saturday. I've been training for the now cancelled Kielder100 and agree completely with the motivation part. Shiny new bike and a desire to get under 40 hours will get me through. Light bivi at 72 or 85 miles spotted.
slarge

Post by slarge »

There is a campsite at Hollingworth lake that is ideal for a bit of a stock up on water / toilet / maybe some food from the shop (never tried the shop though) - that's around the 70 mile mark. Should be a good weekend for it!