ABs & BGs Iceland Trip 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

ABs & BGs Iceland Trip 2022

Post by Escape Goat »

Hi everyone,

Firstly, so sorry for being quiet on here. I've not caught up with anyone for a while.

A little bit of background as to why....I decided to change my job and all of a sudden it was full speed ahead as one came along, I was preparing for that and got interviewed, then I was waiting for the result, then the stress of resigning, changing my van, having an issue with it, then going on holiday to Iceland, then coming back, then going on holiday again to the Lakes with family and then my first full week at my new place - it's been full on. At least it has for me, as an outsider this may not appear that much, but for someone who was two decades into a job with no changes, then everything happened in the last month or month and a half - it was a lot. Thankfully, it's all settled down now and I've been reflecting on my Iceland trip.

I've got over 5 hours of footage, before Barry gives me any shots with me on, right now it's the Barry show, which I'm sure he'd love, but I'd like to be in it too :lol: He'll be sending me his drone, GoPro and phone footage to me at some point so I can make a start on it. Until then, I realise that maybe not everyone has Instagram where I've been putting my photos (there are a lot). Hopefully, you don't mind me sharing my pictures here. I'm not going to put too much backstory with the photos as the video will cover everything that we got up to. I just really enjoy looking at these pictures as it was one of the most exciting places I've been to on a bike.

This guy wouldn't move out of the window - but I love the fact that he's in the picture with a WTF face to my bike

I've been asked many times what rack I used - it was an Aeroe Spider Rack.

Taken around 11.30pm at Þingvellir National Park

:o

Gulfoss

]Image

After 560km

The route

And finally. Ya Ya ding dong?

I hope you enjoy looking at the pictures as much as I do.
Last edited by Escape Goat on Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Re: ABs & BGs Iceland Trip 2022

Post by RIP »

Welcome back Al - missed ya :smile: .

Nah that was an action-packed few weeks in anyone's book, so we'll let you off, just don't let it happen again eh :wink: :grin: .

Gawd those photos bring back some memories. You obviously had a fab time. Judging by the pix you covered a fair whack of ground - did you bike the whole lot?

What's the situ with the hut(s)? Open to anyone?

Did you try any local 'delicacies'?

At least one photo looks marginally greener than when I was there 35 odd years ago on me trusty Dawes Cougar.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

From what I've seen on IG and here, it looks like Iceland delivered its menacing beauty for you both.
It does look like you covered some miles too, fair play.
Tell me, how many river crossings? :lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Teaman

Post by Teaman »

Thanks for posting especially for those of us not on Instagram etc 🤣
Great photos and I imagine it was a special adventure.... and perhaps a good time to reflect on life's changes for you with the change of job etc. Hope all goes well and look forward to seeing some more photos/videos in due course 😁

Judging by the nice headgear, I'm assuming midges were a problem out there? Was it a big problem?
Andy
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

summittoppler wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:35 am From what I've seen on IG and here, it looks like Iceland delivered its menacing beauty for you both.
It does look like you covered some miles too, fair play.
Tell me, how many river crossings? :lol:
Iceland delivered just the right amount of everything it could offer. It means that I do want to go back though. As soon as possible. We covered the miles all by bicycle. We did want to get a bus from Keflavik to Reykjavik, but that didn't happen. Looking back I'm happy it didn't. It meant that day one was 120km+ though.

River crossings? I stopped counting after 10 haha! There was one I will always remember. You'll see soon enough.

RIP wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:10 am Welcome back Al - missed ya :smile: .

Nah that was an action-packed few weeks in anyone's book, so we'll let you off, just don't let it happen again eh :wink: :grin: .

Gawd those photos bring back some memories. You obviously had a fab time. Judging by the pix you covered a fair whack of ground - did you bike the whole lot?

What's the situ with the hut(s)? Open to anyone?

Did you try any local 'delicacies'?

At least one photo looks marginally greener than when I was there 35 odd years ago on me trusty Dawes Cougar.
Ah thanks Reg, tis very kind of you. I wont let it happen again, not at least for another 20 years! Glad the pictures could bring back some of the memories you had from back then. That hut - i'll be 100% honest, I'm not sure. It was not locked, and there was no private sign. The house that was by it was a hostel, nobody in to ask, nobody answered the door to us in the rain and wind, so it was fair game.

I tried the famous hotdog with crunchy onions, I'm sure you know by now, I'm a fussy sod, so any seafood of any sort is right out the window. haha!

Teaman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:40 am Thanks for posting especially for those of us not on Instagram etc 🤣
Great photos and I imagine it was a special adventure.... and perhaps a good time to reflect on life's changes for you with the change of job etc. Hope all goes well and look forward to seeing some more photos/videos in due course 😁

Judging by the nice headgear, I'm assuming midges were a problem out there? Was it a big problem?
Andy

Ah, you're welcome, I figured not everyone uses Instagram. It was timed just right for the reflection of the huge decisions I made. Midges were no problem at all. But stupid flies that land on your eyeballs and do nothing but upset you as they're pretty relentless required a midge net. Barry forgot his. He also didn't want to search for one in Reykjavik. He's an adult. He made his decision hehe.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Oh, and the bike weighed 120lbs give or take 5 or 10 lbs / 55kgs. give or take 5kg
RIP

Post by RIP »

Teaman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:40 am midges
They even named a prominent settlement after the winged menace :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

:lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
A not dissimilar route to what me and a mate did ten years ago, although we didn't do any singletrack. Definitely a place I'd go back to, and mebbes with a fat bike.
Film incoming?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

We really wanted to get to Landmannalaugar, but we needed an extra two days. Gutted.

I do always say I like leaving a reason to return though.

A film is 100% coming for sure :) may take a while though.