Tour Divide 2022 - SLarge's write up

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Tour Divide 2022 - SLarge's write up

Post by slarge »

Hi all,
I have finished my write up of the Tour Divide - it's a biggie (both the race and the write up), and the finished article is here. Grab a cuppa and some biscuits and find a quiet spot. It'll take an hour or two to get through.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B6i ... sp=sharing

There's lots of pics, so whilst it's 50 pages I have tried to break it up. Would love some feedback! :-bd
redefined_cycles

Re: Tour Divide 2022 - SLarge's write up

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks Steve. Summat to read tonight at work :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Superlative. It's hard to take it all in and do it justice by just reading the write-up, which I need to read again more slowly to try and immerse myself in the whole experience - impossible as that is of course. And all with seemingly no more gear than we'd take on a 'Winter Bivvy' here for example - an interesting and useful gear list at the end there. Am curious that you didn't take the Trailshot?

The constant cameos of bivvying, weather, pitstops, characters, scenery and so on are rather overwhelming, in a good way.

Your post-ride thoughts were very interesting to read especially.

"The most at-ease Tour Divider" :smile: . There's a compliment :smile: .

Amazing.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Throwing up a lot of memories for me Steve, good and bad :)

WIll read the rest this evening!
slarge

Post by slarge »

Thanks all.

Reg - I decided to carry water rather than filter it as there are some long sections without any water so I'd have to carry 4-5 litres anyway. It worked for me. I did take tabs though but only used them a couple of times.

Greg - it's bringing back memories for me also - surprising how much merges together or is forgotten after only a few weeks.
redefined_cycles

Steve... I'm on day 7 at the mo and really helpful seeing what was going on at each of them Strava links you posted at the time. A few questions if I may, before I forget...

Favourite quote so far, "it gets steeper and steeper until the only way to dismount is over the bars"... Reminds me of a place in the Peaks :lol:

Anyway...

1. Which specs do you have on and did they work?? Painful around the temples and any condensation issues (my daughter just lost my Oakley Prisms on the Peak District walk - but we've agreed she'll get me another pair when she gets her first job, one day!)?

2. That BigBear you did a few years ago. Was it already in anticipation/half-prep for the TD?

I think you're report is slowly tipping me over the edge to join CEs Dales Divide - once it starts missing the month of Ramadhan. Maybe even something a bit tougher even :wink:
redefined_cycles

Oh... and it seems you weren't using a dynamo but charging at stops. Good to hear...
slarge

Post by slarge »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:35 am Steve... I'm on day 7 at the mo and really helpful seeing what was going on at each of them Strava links you posted at the time. A few questions if I may, before I forget...

Favourite quote so far, "it gets steeper and steeper until the only way to dismount is over the bars"... Reminds me of a place in the Peaks :lol:

Anyway...

1. Which specs do you have on and did they work?? Painful around the temples and any condensation issues (my daughter just lost my Oakley Prisms on the Peak District walk - but we've agreed she'll get me another pair when she gets her first job, one day!)?

2. That BigBear you did a few years ago. Was it already in anticipation/half-prep for the TD?

I think you're report is slowly tipping me over the edge to join CEs Dales Divide - once it starts missing the month of Ramadhan. Maybe even something a bit tougher even :wink:
Hi Shaf, glad that you're getting through it. I tried to inject a bit of my humour into it as it would be a dry read otherwise.

Specs are Tifosi with interchangeable lenses. I think they were £50-60 a few years ago. I don't spend a lot on glasses as they always seem to get lost, scratched or broken. I've tried to look after these and they're good so far.

The BigBear wasn't specifically in preparation- to be honest I didn't think the TD was possible until last year (too big a commitment, too much time and money). The BigBear was just a long ride as I like riding my bike.....

The DalesDivide is great and there's a shortcut option to remove a chunk (100 miles or so).

I did have a dynamo and used it for lighting and phone charging, but it didn't really work for battery packs as speeds can be too low. Was useful but I was also paranoid about water damage to electronics so would seal everything up when it was wet.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I know what you mean about the distances being deceptive - there's so little to give a sense of perspective that judging things is difficult. Cath and I were driving from Bairstow down to Joshua Tree and we rounded a bend to be confronted by a "long" straight road across the valley.

"How far to that bend?" I asked.
"A couple of miles"
"I reckon it's ten"

9.8 miles later we reached the bend!

There's a couple of paragraphs about Fleecer Ridge in this article on Bikepacking.com - https://bikepacking.com/plog/why-does-this-road-suck/

18" pizza!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
redefined_cycles

Ta Steve. Yes, Bob, 18 inch pizza got to me aswell but it is America after all...

Tifosi, yes they're ace. My first set of specs many many years ago (which obviously got lost). Might look at em again as I remember they had zero issues but it was just the price had gone up due to me getting in a sale originally...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I enjoyed that Steve, well done again!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Great read Steve and I can empathise with the lack of motivation to go on and do harder things. I feel exactly this, like you a life goal ticked and now for some pottering about.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
slarge

Post by slarge »

Thanks Phil and Dave.
I really do feel like a nice bike tour in a check shirt and loose shorts is my new life goal. Maybe I'll try it and see if I get bored....
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

slarge wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:25 am Thanks Phil and Dave.
I really do feel like a nice bike tour in a check shirt and loose shorts is my new life goal. Maybe I'll try it and see if I get bored....
<cough>Lejog</cough>
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

It's taken me about 5 years to want to go do something long again. I completely understand that feeling post TDR. It's a strange sort of ennui, but it will pass.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

A great read Steve, I really enjoyed that! Well done for such an excellent ride!
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Really enjoyed that Steve, it almost sounds fun! Superb riding and very inspirational, top job! :-bd
slarge

Post by slarge »

Cheers people. I enjoyed riding and writing it to be honest. Writing brought back so many memories
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I may say it was nice to read a trip tale which actually described the route, the riding and places rather than a load of existential mindfulness pish which seems to be all you get on bikepacking.com these days :grin:
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I enjoyed that Steve!

Good to see you didn't take Tom's KOM on Fleecer ridge. :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Two thumbs up from me, thanks for sharing the story of a great experience :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that over the last two lunchtimes. Looked like an amazing experience and the positivity shining through is almost enough to make me consider doing it. 👍
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Just finished reading it this morning, really enjoyed it and brought back a lot of memories.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Cheers all - I enjoyed writing it so glad you enjoyed reading it!