Tragical Mystery Tour - crowdpacking?

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Tragical Mystery Tour - crowdpacking?

Post by RIP »

"You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully to the south" (anyone else remember the original and best? :smile: ). In my yoof I wasted/enjoyed time playing text-based computer adventure games in which you had no idea where you'd end up next. And none of this graphical stuff, you had to use your imagination.

Long-suffering Boners know that Reg always drones on about not being keen on fixed pre-set "Routes" or timings. Well I figured it's money-where-mouth-is time, and time to shake things up a bit, with a little minimally-planned adventure. Don't see why I should have to do all the work though, so I'm afraid this will involve the dreaded.... yes..... audience participation. Obviously most of us shy retiring Boners hate that type of thing but there we go. The "a volunteer please to assist me on stage" spotlight is one of my worst nightmares.

Next Thursday 28th I'll be on July's BaM, but when I set off I'll have no idea at all what the route is or where I'll bivvy, because you lovely Boners will hopefully make it up for me as I go along. The only request I have is that I choose the start point and time, which won't be anywhere near my local area. But... I won't be divulging the location of that start point, what jinks eh :wink: .

Every so often (maybe at fixed times? Dunno yet, open to ideas) I'll stop and offer several random directions of where I could go next, maybe based on compass points or features or pubs/cafes or tussocks or whatever. First reply and choice from Here is where I go next. Naturally I'm expecting you to choose the nastiest-sounding option each time - so maybe I'll decorate my descriptions with bluffs or double-bluffs :smile: . I'll snooze and await responses for a while at each spot, but move on if nobody can be arsed to join in.

Of course this is all tempting fate and will go horribly wrong (phone signal!), and to work it needs folks to chip in, but, hey, this is punk-rock biking.

If I haven't bottled it by then, more info before next Thursday. I'll be standing at the end of a road before a small brick building....

R
Last edited by RIP on Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
thenorthwind

Re: Tragical Mystery Tour - crowdpacking?

Post by thenorthwind »

This is EXACTLY how I've always imagined being god would be like. Exactly.

I'm in :-bd
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I like the idea of this. Reminds me of a few role playing books I read as a teen. And like you say you always seem to pick the 'tougher' option!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Go directly to jail, do not pass go and do not collect £200.
If I'm around I'll join in Reg. (all - we have make sure we send him in different directions to really confuse him!)
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sounds interesting. Not sure how it'll work in person. But I'm in... I'll be attemtping to steer you clear of the pubs and pointing you in the direction of fresh water and halal takeaways :-bd

Looking forward it (pending being around obviously).
RIP

Post by RIP »

Phil wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:34 pm we have make sure we send him in different directions to really confuse him!
Well he's only going to go in one direction at a time :wink: .
Shaf wrote: Not sure how it'll work in person
Neither is Reg :???: Total shambles probably/hopefully :smile:
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Verena

Post by Verena »

Sounds fun, count me in.
Verena

Post by Verena »

So what's the plan then Reg?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah, thanks V, sorry about the radio silence. So I've decided to tag my ride onto the back of an outing with two of my bestie Normal mates, who I've been out with for the past two days.

I'll bivvy out tonight, then start at about 9.30 tomorrow at a cafe for brekkie, which will no doubt be a brick building at the end of a road somewhere.

I'll post here at around that time with three directional options depending on what's there. Maybe it's compass points, up/down, some sort of features or whatever.

Don't want too many Rules so hopefully that covers everything. Hopefully it'll be more than just the five of us or I'll look like a right lemon sat there waiting to be told :smile: . Still, five different suggestions should be enough to confuse me :smile: .

See you about 9.15/9.30 tomorrow then...

Verena

Post by Verena »

:-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Very much looking forward to this.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

With typically bad timing, this has coincided with me going to one of the few remaining bits of the country with absolutely zero signal (Borrowdale, bottom of). I'm writing this in the pub, which has wifi... I mean I've got to let the missus know I'm ok :wink: Unless I come back in for a breakfast pint (breakfast stout anyone?) I'm probably not going to be able to contribute til I get home tomorrow evening. Hopefully the others will have got you thoroughly lost by then :grin:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

A few years ago, there was an IOS app that would have been ideal for this. It was called Drift, from Brokencitylabs.org and was designed to get you lost in your local area. When opened, it would tell you to (eg) go west for n blocks then turn and (eg) take a photo of the first tree you see…. And so on. Directions and instructions were randomly selected from a list, so no two trips would be the same. I had it on my phone for a while, but it’s gone now. I’ve just tried searching for it but it’s no longer available.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:38 am Yeah, thanks V, sorry about the radio silence. So I've decided to tag my ride onto the back of an outing with two of my bestie Normal mates, who I've been out with for the past two days.

I'll bivvy out tonight, then start at about 9.30 tomorrow at a cafe for brekkie, which will no doubt be a brick building at the end of a road somewhere.

I'll post here at around that time with three directional options depending on what's there. Maybe it's compass points, up/down, some sort of features or whatever.

Don't want too many Rules so hopefully that covers everything. Hopefully it'll be more than just the five of us or I'll look like a right lemon sat there waiting to be told :smile: . Still, five different suggestions should be enough to confuse me :smile: .

See you about 9.15/9.30 tomorrow then...
Excellent stuff, Reg! What's the worst that could happen? :lol:
May you always have tail wind.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Good morning :)

Just in case I miss your first post if I'm tied up in some meeting at work....

When you read this, or when you're next stuck for a decision on where to go: take the next left.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well that was a damp and surprisingly chilly night in a.... hah, no, you don't get me that easily! Just partaking of a standard issue first breakfast, then it's round to the cafe to await opening time. Next left she says.... not sure what to do if there isn't a left but hey ho...

Cheers Pete, chip in if you can...

UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

At Noon find the nearest pub and order a pint
RIP

Post by RIP »

:grin: At this rate I'll have the whole day mapped out before I've even started.

Pub...pint.... arg...

Verena

Post by Verena »

There's always a left....

Enjoy your double breakfast!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta.

So I'm sitting in the cafe and ordered brekkie. Out of the window we seem to have:

Road to the right leading to a steep hill.
Road straight on leading to a steep hill.
Road half left leading to a steep hill.
Road to the left leading to a steep hill.

Seems to be a bit of a theme here already, sigh.

So after breakfast#2 I shall indeed exit stage left as per Verena's choice.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Half left.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Yes half left.

We have consensus.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Too late! I did the left.

I was going to carry on for a while before bothering you again but the road has levelled out and there's a big temporary CLOSED sign in front of me!

Luckily we don't have to turn round straight away because I can offer a very steep track to the left or a very steep track to the right.

A little dwarf has just run around a corner, thrown an axe at me, but it misses.

Talking of throwing, dice throw please! Nice view while I'm waiting anyroad :smile:

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

More left please.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ah.

What I didn't mention is the right is a very steep down, but left is a very steep up again. Sigh.

OK...