Glen Kinglass and Loch Etive (pic heavy)

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Glen Kinglass and Loch Etive (pic heavy)

Post by whitestone »

Desperate to get away from the mawkishness of the jubilee weekend we headed up to Scotland for a week or so's bike riding and generally messing about. I'd a few trails in mind that I've wanted to do for a while so created some GPX files incorporating them.

One of these was Glen Kinglass which I've noticed whenever driving along the A82 past Loch Tulla and also when riding along the WHW. It's in the Vertebrate MTB guide and graded black in there but that route is linear, starting at Tyndrum, heading out along the WHW, through Glen Kinglass to Loch Etive before following estate tracks to Taynuilt and getting the train back to Tyndrum. The other "trail" I was interested in was the one heading inland along the east shore of Loch Etive. One or two on here have done it and let's say the tales were interesting!

We pulled into the Real Food Café in Tyndrum for a bite to eat to find a dispirited Rich Rothwell - he should have been riding the HT550 but heading down Glen Lyon he was accidentally taken out by another rider and injured his thumb and ankle and had limped back. Suitably refreshed we headed to Victoria Bridge to start the ride.

Easy estate tracks led to a ford

Then one that wasn't really rideable.

Then we came across a group of young stags. They really weren't bothered by us, Cath halved the distance to the one ahead of her in the shot below before it trotted away a few metres. They had probably been fed by the estate overwinter.

The track deteriorated a bit but it was all ridable.

That led to the "Moab like" slabs. Yeah, right.

Down into Glen Kinglass

Then turn right at the bottom and head up towards the head of the loch. Since the Vertebrate route took good tracks from this point to Taynuilt I've no idea why they graded it black, apart from the fords of various burns it was all ridable and if things had been wet beforehand you wouldn't have got past the first big ford so there's no commitment as such.

That patch of rock on the far hillside are the Etive Slabs a well known climbing destination. Unusual to see them from this angle.

Then things got a bit rough. Not sure what the brush was, I thought maybe Alder, Cath thought Bush Sage. Whatever, it made a mess of our legs and there was a lot of it.

Our camp spot/bivy for the night. We took the tent as Glen Etive is midge central. As it happened there was a strong wind so we pitched the tent behind a gorse bush!

The following day there was more Alder/Sage/whatever but also some riding:

And boulder hopping

At one point I thought I saw a Scottish wild cat - I came round a corner and something shot off before I could get a proper look. Fortunately we were on the beach at this point and found these tracks.

Could have been a wild cat.

Further up the loch things definitely got more rideable

Sometimes you can feel very small in Scotland. The Etive slabs at top right of shot.

So far we'd done just 8km in 4 hours :shock:

Up the Etive road avoiding the tourists who don't know how to drive on singletrack roads. We pulled into the Kingshouse for something to eat and the first person we saw was Lars Henning who was covering the HT550 for Dotwatchers!

Then it was just back along the WHW to Victoria Bridge.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Glen Kinglass and Loch Etive (pic heavy)

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lovely Bob and it looks like you had better weather than most of the UK - bonus :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:18 am Lovely Bob and it looks like you had better weather than most of the UK - bonus :-bd
Generally dry but a bit of drizzle on the WHW section, not worth getting a waterproof out. Then we had an afternoon of heavy showers on the Wednesday and one absolute deluge just after we'd set up camp at Loch Muick (near Lochnagar) on Thursday evening but the rest of the time was wall to wall sunshine :-bd Even a bit too hot at times :oops:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Your account of the East side of Loch Etive single track pretty much ties in with my memories of doing it in the '90's, only with added bracken! The bit past the end of the loch was very boggy as well, I seem to recall.
Looks like you had similar weather than me but with different timings - no deluge on Tuesday eve like me but one on Wed which for me was a few sprinkles and then some over night rain. Looking forward to the Deeside trail write up :-bd