Today's Walk.

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Today's Walk.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like walking - anyone who's ridden with me over the past 2 years will testify to that. Anyway, seeing as we have a 'today's run' and 'today's ride' thread, I thought why not a 'today's walk' thread too, so do feel free to join in.

A while ago, I'd heard talk of an old and long forgotten 'road' that joins the Wye Valley to the upper Hengwm, so early this morning Ruby and myself packed some cheese butties and went off in search.

The track is called Llwybr Shan Groca according to old maps and takes its name from an unusual standing stone called Sian Groca. Been a simple man, I reckoned if I could find the stone then the track wouldn't be too far away. We parked up in Hafren and made our way through the forest heading out towards the Sweet Lamb, then picked up the permissive track that heads towards the source of the Wye.

This'll be where the track ends and the proper fun begins.Destination up there int' mist and clag

Unlike the Severn, the source of the Wye isn't really a tourist destination and is far less visited. What starts as a reasonable track soon turns to nothing more than a meandering sheep-trod with a good healthy helping of rocks and boggy bits. However, just like its neighbour, the source itself is very uninspiring been little more than a bog.

Yes, this is the start of the mighty river Wye.

Ooh as an side, I did spot what looks very much like a breached dam - anyone know if the Wye was dammed at one point? Plenty of workings above Sweet Lamb, so maybe a dam and leat system?

Having made it to the source and both fortified with cheese, we took the path of most resistance and quite quickly gained the main Plynlimon ridge.

Just before cheese

We spent the next couple of hours looking for the elusive stone amongst some other stones but sadly to no avail. However, I have a cunning plan for a return visit and hitting it from the north, so who knows, maybe I'll find it in time for the BB200? :shock:

Looking north(ish)
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Re: Today's Walk.

Post by whitestone »

There's a possibility that your breached dam was to create a "hush" - dam the water then release it to strip away surface vegetation and soil to reveal any bands of ore laden rock. Pretty common way of "mining" in olden times, might have been used up to the 19th century. Lots of them in Swaledale where they did the dam/release cycle many times to rip away the surface.

But looking at the (online) 1:25k map http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=281861&Y=286457&A=Y&Z=115 there's a wall leading/contouring around the hillside from a "feature" near the source of the Wye to the stream above a disused mine so is that actually a wall or the remains of an old leat?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not a very good picture Bob but I'd estimate that the 'walls' are around 30' high. The breach is probably about 20' feet ... I reckon it might be some feet to open and close it but I don't know. Did see signs of what I thought could be a leat but hard to really say for sure now.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'm not sure what mechanism was used to initiate the breach (calling Reg, calling Reg!) but that looks more like it's a supplementary dam for the mines further east along the track. Looking at satellite shots on Google maps, the "wall" appears to be a leat as it winds in and out of re-entrants, the OS map shows it losing very little height which is unusual for a wall - they'd go straighter than that. It only gets close to the track at the sharp bend as the track turns into the upper valley, hopefully the URI isn't truncated. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pum ... -3.7830277
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I see OS are showing it as a 'visible earthwork' which could obviously mean many things but it definitely just spans the river / valley bottom . SN 813866
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

Lots of info on Archwilio.

Select Powys region and zoom into the area you want. Click on search map view and it will give you a link to more information.

Image9289B458-365A-4F63-8265-DE78FAB00A52 by Paul McCullough, on Flickr
Last edited by sillybigfella on Sun May 08, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’ve been abart a bit
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ta Paul, I'll take a look.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bit of a wet day yesterday so CBA walking miles but to add some incentive I decided to incorporate some taking of pictures on our usual foray into the forest. The place is littered with decaying remnants of its previous like, so thought if for no other reason than to cheer Reg up, I'd take a few of them. Probably quite dull really but it's better than nothing. :wink:

A nice arch (I can't call it a bridge really) spanning the infant Afon that flows past the Towers.

Partially filled level not far from the above - Ruby for scale.

Kind of difficult to make out but that structure once housed a large water-wheel. It's very overgrown now and virtually hidden.

The entrance to another level that was uncovered with the last lot of felling. it's around 6' high and unusually, quite dry inside. There's a second one about 50 yards higher up the hillside directly above this one.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Love walking, love mines :smile: . Does look like a dam doesn't it. Plynlimon mine was a bit to the south on a slightly lower level so maybe a leat to there, and the Wye Valley mine is to the east, can't remember its proper name. But there's not much catchment? I think you need to dig your Bick out Stu, it'll all be in there. Some of the leats round your way are amazing. There's one that went from the top end of Nantymoch, past Bwlchystyllen, to Cwmsymlog and loads of other mines further down. I think it was 13 miles long. Enjoyed those other photos too. Is that wheel pit the Ty Isaf one for Llannerch-yr-aur or another one.

I do thank you for your cheery wishes. Have wasted considerable amounts of time/energy here on hols trying to sort Mrs P's vehicle insurance out. After getting it roadworthy with a hammer, gaffertape, and cableties (proving that they are definitely all that you need in your toolkit) it managed to get us here to Salop in one piece. But the insurance people have indeed written it off. We were very clear we wanted to save it if poss - hate wasting stuff when there's still a bit of life left - and after talking nicely with them they've offered £1200 and £132 buyback. So I reckon we'll do that and just have a motor with a quite considerably and playfully modified rear end, assuming it's not bad enough to fail MOT. It's the wasted time that's irksome when it's entirely not one's fault. Ho hum. So thanks for the cheery wishes :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I did mean to reach for the relevant copy when I got in Reg but got sidetracked. Wheel isn't Ty-Isaf, it's literally half a mile into the forest, just as before first climb begins it's on your left.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

As I'm still feeling under the weather I had to get out of the house before I went mad. This week is half term so I'm off work anyway, I was supposed to be biking in the highlands but I'm not not well enough. So a walk was in order...

Left home for the shortish drive to Cwm Penmachno and the lovely walk up through the quarry workings. I've been here before quite a few times on the bike but it was nice to enjoy it at a slower pace.
Some pics...
Image20221031_141041 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

There was load of the upright stones with the notch made into it and this is the last remaining intact piece of Fencing alongside an old tramway.
Image20221031_143035 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Then onto the old buildings for a good mooch around
Image20221031_143131 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

As with many of the old slate buildings up this way, the workers used to leave their mark on the wall near the front door
Image20221031_143239 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221031_151439 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221031_151505 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20221031_151415 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

The buildings are built with a good quality slate waste as opposed to some of the other sites in north Wales
Image20221031_151929 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

So another day and as I felt a bit better being in the outdoors the day before and the fact the Mrs is still working from home and she hates me moaning, I went out again.
This time up to my winter bivvy spot for some more 'remedial' work.

It was very wet which adds to the scenery up here
Image20221101_150523 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

I rigged up my bigger 3x3 tarp which covered most of the building and then set upon doing some more dry stone walling
Image20221101_135915 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

In the 18 months I've been using the place, I like to think I've improved/kept the history of the building. Some may disagree but if its left like it has been for the last 150+ years, it'll just be a pile of stones sooner.

Here's a pic from 18 months ago
Image2022-11-01_05-27-53 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

And this is now
Image20221101_145523-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

The stone I used for the 'rebuild' was picked from what was on the ground or in the large slate waste piles. I did ot take any stone from any other structures/walls.
What's great about it is that there is only one way in from the valley below and its not a popular place to go to so I'd like to think it'll go 'unnoticed' to the masses.

I've even got a little stash of food/kit up there but I'm not telling!

A very wet walk back to the car felt great!
Image20221101_150510 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Nice that Jeff, and good to see you're improving post-plague.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A bit of a grim day so we went for a walk up to a group of cairns that not many people know about. Supposedly they are "curricks" which are small shepherd's shelters but let's just say they were very small shepherds back in the day! More likely they were built by local youths having fun. You can just about see them from the road between Kilnsey and Arncliffe but you need to know where to look.

It was definitely not like this today, I think the forecast 10mph winds was missing a zero :lol:

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

A 15 minute drive from home got me to this point, Pen y Gadier. Was good to clear the head in the mornings fresh air. A future bivvy spot will be the peak to he right. Should be a good one for a sunrise view.
Image20230212_115852 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20230212_114100 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

I can see my home town from the top
Image20230212_120522 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Carnedd Llewellyn
Image20230212_120550 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

Lovely walk over Tarren y Gesail and Tarren Hendre. Didn’t meet another soul, perfect.

ImageDyfi hills by Paul McCullough, on ImageDyfi hills by Paul McCullough, on Flickr

ImageDyfi hills by Paul McCullough, on Flickr
I’ve been abart a bit
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lovely Paul :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ALL the sledding with daughter today. Great conditions, probably about 5km of wandering around various slopes. Was going to bring skis with me but it was far too powdery for the little skinny skis.

Mega melt, followed by sub zero all night...should make orienteering tomorrow fun!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A good march around my local hills today - 16 miles.
The air was crystal clear with the Cairngorms clearly visible and covered in much snow. They looked like a distant ice cap! Probably should have made the effort to get up there but I couldn't be bothered with the 2hr drive up the A9, doubtless in the company of hundreds of others heading up there. I saw two people on my walk!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Van went for new belts this morning, so after dropping it at the garage myself, Ruby and Wilf headed for the hills to kill some time. Weather was lovely, they had a great time (both now knackered) and I found a BW that I didn't know existed plus some very interesting bonus tracks leading off it ... could be a BB200 contender.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Got some big fell walks planned for a month or so's time so decided to get some hill practice in. Went up the local hill, down the other side for a bit then a wander back home. Maybe 8km and 500m of ascent and, more importantly, descent.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Always thought this here thread existed, but couldn't be bothered the task of finding it. Anyway, me and the 8 yr old have started fornightly walks and the plan is to get him (and another 2 dad/son) steong enough to eventually go and do soke of the big hills/mountains.

We're starting with the Ethels of the Peaks for the mo and they've already been pushed up to nice 8 milers. Highlight of which was Blackpool Bridge at the top end of the Peaks which leads to Black Hill. Obviously we'll not be going there (once was enough).

In no particular order over the past couple of months...

It was my little one that noticed the original bridge was a massive affair to the left of the current bridge. Well spotted!

On that same walk him going AWOL and thinking he'll catch a sheep!

Probably my favourite pic of all our walks. The path leading to blackpool Bridge...

Him doing the navigating - for each walk we print off an OS section of it. Hopefully he'll not be as poor at geography as I've always been!

Another little highlight of which we'd found this little waterfall in OS maps. But it was much more spectacular than OS maps did it justice (I suppose).
Verena

Post by Verena »

On yesterday's walk, found a bivvy spot that dreams are made of....
I'd spotted it up on a hillside when driving by for several years, and often wondered how to get there.
Thanks to my daughter's work (house/pet/smallholding sitting), she's now practically an honorary resident of said tiny village, and was told by some locals of a nice walk "just go through Ceri's fields". So we did, and hey presto, found the very place I've been wanting to find....
Reasons why it's so brilliant:
It's quarrytastic.
It's properly off the beaten track - would be extremely surprised to meet anyone there.
It has amazing views, from a nice flat grassy area.
It's got a foul weather option nearby, one of those tiny churches with a porch, as well as one of those stone outbuildings frequented by some of this parish, which is open, tidy and has a decent roof.
There's a farm selling eggs nearby (for breakfast)
And it's even completely legal, with the track not just being a bridleway, but even marked as a MTB route (doubt it is ever used...).
Photos to follow, when I eventually do go there for a BAM.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Went down to Widdop to tick off some Veloviewer squares - got three out of the four that I was missing, the fourth would have required another couple of km of bog trotting. Let's just say that paths were notable by their absence :lol: https://www.strava.com/activities/9064306447. The walk included what is possibly the trickiest summit to reach in Yorkshire -

you have to jump across a gap to reach the leftmost bit and it's only a metre or so wide!

Also absent were other people. I didn't see anyone else let alone meet anyone.

Just under 13km in 3hr30.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

On Sunday myself and herself walked 10km around Welbeck Abbey grounds. It is closed to the public but is opened up for one day a year for a 10km charity run and walk. The real motivation for attending was being able to get into two Veloviewer tiles that are not normally accessible. There is a third tile but I sneaked in about a year ago around 5am
It was a niceday, tee-shirt and shorts for the first time this year.
On the way home stopped off at another small woodland with just a footpath through it and wandered in far enough to grab another tile.