WRT

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rob S

WRT

Post by Rob S »

Here are a few words and photos from my first WRT.

ImageWRT 2022 by Robert Smith, on Flickr

I wasn’t expecting so many people, great atmosphere though. Everyone was very friendly.

This was on the first section of my route.

I tried out my MSR trailshot for the first time here, or as my lad puts it, dad’s puddle drinker.

Not many people about around here, great riding along with the birds for company though.

Somehow 7 o’clock had crept up on me, I also needed water and it was starting to rain. I came upon a stream with a flattish piece of grass nearby North West of Foel Grafiau and thought “that’ll do”. It was a bit close to the path, but there wasn’t much chance of anyone coming by out there. This was my first solo bivvy, I wasn’t anxious but not as relaxed as I’d have been if I’d had mates about. It felt a bit odd being out there on my own.

I got the tent up and got tea going. This was couscous that I’d put into a soup n sauce bag (one of Stu’s tips I’d seen on another thread) so half a cup of boiling water and a tin of sardines was as close as I got to cooking.

As darkness descended, it started hammering it down. So I zipped up and tried to sleep, it took me what felt like ages to drop off what with the rain on the tent. In the early hours I realised there was a puddle in my tent, I’m not sure if this was condensation or because I was on a slight slope and the rain was getting in somewhere. I decided to get up at six, pulling on wet socks and shoes wasn’t pleasant but I wanted to get going. The rain was now just drizzle, but everything was damp.

Coming down the road by the Nant-y-moch Reservoir I overshot my turnoff by half a mile which p!ssed me off as all I could think about was getting to the service station at Ponterwyd. By now my feet were freezing and my hands had stiffened into claws which made getting a coffee and pasty harder than it normally would. While there a fellow ‘boner said they wouldn’t fancy the river crossing that was on my route if they were on their own. That decided it for me, I’d ride back on the road then I wouldn’t have a second night in a damp bag.

I took the A44 and stopped for a tea, soup and roll at Llangurig. Then got onto the NCN 8 route, then took the B4518 back to BB towers. Not the nicest of routes back but the most direct. After a chat, tea and slice of cake I was on my way and got home at just gone ten. Despite the change of plans I had a great time and am looking forward to getting back to complete the route. Thanks again to Dee and Stu for putting on a great event.
Last edited by Rob S on Tue May 03, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodsmith

Re: WRT

Post by woodsmith »

Very nice Rob. Sorry once again i wasn't able to join in the fun.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

woodsmith wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:25 pm Very nice Rob. Sorry once again i wasn't able to join in the fun.
No problem, I hope you're on the mend now.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Rob S wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:47 pm
woodsmith wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 6:25 pm Very nice Rob. Sorry once again i wasn't able to join in the fun.
No problem, I hope you're on the mend now.
I wish. Multiple trips to the quack and no diagnosis. Absolutley bloody useless and honestly seem genuinley uninterested. In 4 visits I've seen three different docs and a paramedic ( who forgot to book me in for a chest xray). Two options now: go to A&E until I can talk to someone who is vaguely interested in my issues or go on WebMD and order Meds from Mexico :lol:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

And a few-ish words from mine. I dunno, should I start my own WRT report or muscle in on yours?

Unlucky, here I am...

My eighth consecutive WRT, this time with my son Mike who came as minder for me on the 2020 lockdown after I'd had my heart attack. He liked (could put up with) my company so much that there he was again. :-bd

After a late-ish start post raffle we made our way roughly southward, over Banc-y-Belan, through Staylittle, down into and across Hafren, down Sweet Lamb, across the main road into Esgair Ychion forest, past the turn for Nant Rhys and finished the day in a ruined riverside settlement by Diliw in the bottom corner of the forest.

Hammocks in the morning:-

Ah, The wonder of a child asleep...

We found the bestest rock ever for a base for cooking on. The helmet is for scale - we didn't eat it :shock:

After breakfast, back-track a little way and cross over to Nant Syddion, passing this on the way. Possible bothy perhaps?

While climbing to the wind farm we met a chap going the opposite way who said that there had been fourteen Boners over-nighting there. When we called in for a cuppa and snack, the place was clean and tidy and the stove, still warm, emptied. Well done Chaps. :-bd Someone had been having a little fun with an axe making this rather wonky bow-stave. Peraps not to Stus' standard...

Down, then, to Ponterwyd . On the way down Mike was unlucky to get a cut in his back tyre that Stans had no chance of fixing, so we had to fit the spare tube.
On checking before putting the tube in we found seven thorns. Thank you Stans! At Ponterwyd we'd intended to pie at the garage, but opted instead for Sunday lunch at the George Borrow. Met Neil & Sharon there - Hi Neil :-bd . Full roast dinner with a pint was a bit much to get back on the bike after, but we did, without too much trouble and headed NE, up above N-y-A to Syfydrin, across to Bont-Goch or Elerch, back East to the top of Nant y Moch and up Northward past Anglers retreat and finally across to Siambr Trawsfynydd where we bivvied.

Cant remember where this was...

I well remember where this was, just before the tricky (for me) Foel Fadian descent. I'm sure there are some of you that could whizz down it without touching the brakes at all, but I have to creep down with much squealing of brakes and twitching of the sphincter. :oops: It was too much for Mike, he walked it.

We had left twenty miles or so for the last day, finishing with a nice downhill through the Esgair Geulan forest for tea-n-cake. Yummy!

Mike dropped me off at Caersws to catch the train home, before driving home to Holyhead. There were already three bikes waiting on the platform so I was a bit worried that I'd not be allowed on. One of them was PaulB2, the Goody-two-Shoes that had booked a bike space. I'd been under the impression that you can't book bike spaces on TFW so I hadn't. Now I was doubly worried. In the event, there was a bike already in the bike space, so that made five and while Paul put his in the one space available, I had to stand in the vestibule thingy and shift my bike around every time somebody wanted to use the toilet. Happily, although the train manager gave me a mild rebuke, she let me stay on the train although I had to stand all the way to Shrewsbury.

Thanks to Dee and Stu for organising this wonderful, special, event. I could'nt imagine not having it to look forward to all year.

:-bd :-bd :-bd
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

That's Mr Goody Two Shoes to you :grin:
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Writ up for those who follow these things.https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... -2022.html

A usual billy-no-mates from me.

Got to be one of the best timed, most convenient pitches going - except for staggering over the moss to go for a pee in the night. :???:

Spent Sunday night on top of the Rhayader hill climb just off the road. SO much fog I was invisible. :-bd

Took me to some lovely places as usual.
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
survivor

Post by survivor »

I'll but in as well then!

Was my first WRT bit not my first ditch kip.. I'd like to think I'm getting quite good at it now. Kind of!

I was itching to get started on the Saturday with the weather being so nice but glad I stuck around as I won a top in the draw :-bd

I failed miserably at route planning as I couldn't get the grid references loaded into anything at once that would then let me plot a route so I bought a route from Stuart.

I headed west towards the cost all the the time aiming for a village that I assumed would have a shop to stock up before finding camp.

Got to the village. No shop!

Advice from a friendly local had me detoured about 8 miles down the road where I got sorted.

Headed back towards the route and found a spot to kip. Not perfect I thought, very stony but needs must. Got the tarp up just before the rain started.

Ended up getting a solid 8 hours kip! Was the most comfortable I've been so far but annoyingly water dripping off the tarp had splashed back onto my ground sheet which then soaked through my bivvy bag into my sleeping bag and mat..

Anyway packed up and set off into the mist. It just kept getting greyer and wetter though and I was losing confidence of another night with wet kit.

Met two lads ( Chris and Matt I think!) Who had an encyclopedic knowledge of the area who suggested a route for me to bale back to the van.

I'm ashamed to say I took it. Was a brilliant route though.

Annoyingly it started getting nicer just as I dropped back to the start.

Oh well. Live and learn.

Still had a brilliant time and can't wait for next year now.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

And a few-ish words from mine. I dunno, should I start my own WRT report or muscle in on yours?

Unlucky, here I am...
I'll but in as well then!
The more the merrier :-bd
frogatthefarriers

PaulB2 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:02 am That's Mr Goody Two Shoes to you :grin:
Oh dear, I hope I haven’t offended you Paul - So sorry if I have… :oops:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:37 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:02 am That's Mr Goody Two Shoes to you :grin:
Oh dear, I hope I haven’t offended you Paul - So sorry if I have… :oops:
Hah, no :grin:

Not offended in the slightest though slightly worried that I appeared overly smug at having the reservation.
frogatthefarriers

PaulB2 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:30 am
Not offended in the slightest though slightly worried that I appeared overly smug at having the reservation.
That’s a relief. I didn’t think you were smug at all, I just felt a bit daft for not having a reservation myself..
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

survivor wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:53 pm as I won a top in the draw :-bd
Nice to meet you Survivor / fellow winner. I'd have sold you a dehydrated meal for an extortionate amount if I'd known!

Jealous of your 8 hours sleep!
Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk
survivor

Post by survivor »

TrepidExplorer wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:51 pm
survivor wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:53 pm as I won a top in the draw :-bd
Nice to meet you Survivor / fellow winner. I'd have sold you a dehydrated meal for an extortionate amount if I'd known!

Jealous of your 8 hours sleep!
A missed opportunity for both of us there.

Good luck on your HT550 attempt :-bd