Upper Deeside Tour

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Upper Deeside Tour

Post by fatbikephil »

I thought I'd stick this in here rather than the BAM thread. I've just been up to Deeside for a few days starting with a 'tour' of the upper 2/3rds of the Deeside Trail. As usual the week before my holiday was glorious and the forecast was for cool temps, cloud and varying amounts of rain.... Friday looked like it was to be sunny so I hoofed it up to Braemar Friday morning. As promised, heading up to the Linn of Dee on the days first (of many) nadgery singletrack, was done in warm sunshine. This persisted through Mar Lodge and up Glen Lui to singletrack number two.

Mar Lodge seems to have been done up since I last passed through here. I'm not actually sure what the NTS do with it as you can't get in as far as I can tell....

This is a lovely trail through a narrow defile - The Clais Fearnaig. Nadge central and the Jones was in it's element and the rider not far behind!

The descent has been NTS'd = lots of water bars and channels which is a shame as it wasn't that eroded before they did this. Hey ho, it will soon be back to it's natural state I've no doubt.
Then up the fine trail out of the Quoich water through Scots pine woodland. A fair few had been clobbered by Storm Arwen by the looks but the trail was largely clear. Emerging out of the woods revealed much cloud and the surrounding hills looked somewhat foreboding. I'd idly considered Ben Avon in the proceedings but was happy to pass it by. I wasted half an hour looking for the secret Howff finally realising I'd failed yet again and my confident location marker on the GPS was a bum steer. So it was back the ways and up the climb into glen Gairn and my favourite trail hereabouts. I've not actually done it since 2017 so this was all good stuff, slightly spoiled by the inevitable cold drizzle coming and going. I ignored it and got stuck into this fabulously tricky trail.

Looking back up the glen. The burns flowing off Ben Avon were a bit high but crossed without issue. The final crossing of the Gairn was a different story. The footbridge is long gone and the crossing point a bit deep looking. Undeterred I rode in only to 'dab' when the front wheel pinged off a large rock. I managed to get back going but now with one damp sock...

Then the leisurely cruise down the big track and the nice trail off the '939 that the DT takes you down to Ballater. I ate a large amount of Co-op food whilst contemplating my options. It was still pretty cloudy so the big moor crossing out of Tarland seemed a bit much. I figured on following the route to there at least as it is now different to what I did in '17. Annoyingly however FLS haven't bothered their backsides to clear the trails in Cambus of May (or Nature Scotland in their bit) so I spent some considerable time picking my way round fallen trees. Pretty rubbish 5 months after the storm hit - I may write a polite but firm letter....

Anyway I missed out the single track and short-cutted out of the woods round more windblow to the road. Back on route in time for the Tarland Trail centre which is a hoot so I 'sent' the Jones down a few humps and bumps to the village. Now it occurred to me that what I really wanted was a pint, rather than a big hill climb. One pub in the village centre looked OK but round the corner was a more homely place with nobody in. Hoorah - that'll be a pint please whilst I check out the weather forecast. Dry all evening but rain coming in tomorrow afternoon. Plan B was to head down to Aboyne where upon another pub drew me in....

The Boat inn is a good place with plenty ales on (at a price) I sat outside and chatted to a local guy who had an extremely strong North East accent (not helped by being absolutely wrecked) requiring some concentration to figure out. Fortunately I'm good at strong North Eastern (English) accents so I could follow most of what he was telling me - he was full of tales of drunken pub crawls by bike when he was a youth but was bemoaning the fact that most of the pubs he'd used were now shut so his e-bike only got used to take him to the local. Finally (and slightly pished) I pedalled off into the Gloaming heading for a bivvy spot I'd used in 2011 in Glen Tanar woods.

In the event I found a much better spot just before I reached this one - level and grassy. Up with the tarp, kettle on, cook and eat food, drink whisky.

It was a dry night and I slept like a log as usual. After a very leisurely start I carried on up the trail only to encounter a barrier across the track and a sign telling me I couldn't go any further as a male Capercaillie was in residence. Funnily enough this same thing happened when I was here in 2011. I did what I did then - carried on. The Firmounth is a ROW and Core path so whoever had put this barrier up was well out of order. Plus no diversion, no nothing.... I wondered what would happen if you'd come over the Firmounth from Glen Esk - you'd see the closure and turn round right? Err no. Further up the track I paused to check my nav and was aware of a 'clacking' sound from a tree nearby. I grinned to myself as I knew exactly what this was. Sure enough.....

One of the worlds ugliest birds, give me a buzzard any day. It fluttered down to the track in front of me and was clearly after a rammy, so I snapped this shot and cleared off. I don't really see the problem with this, making the closure even stupider. In fact it would likely just attract more people whereas the best solution - do nowt - would mean that most people would pass through oblivious.

Leaving Glen Tanar on a big climb over to the Dee it was clear that rain was incoming. I cracked on in a bid to beat it and had more singletrack fun down by the Dee to Ballater once more. The wind was on the rise on the long run up Glen Muik and inevitably the first spots of rain came on, on the monster climb past Lochnagar.

I hammered the descent and pedaled back along the Deeside to Braemar in cold drizzle. Not bad really as it was mostly dry overhead and the trails were really dry. 160k done in total and some fab riding.

ScotRoutes

Re: Upper Deeside Tour

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hmm. I am expecting a couple of signs to appear in Abernethy forest this week, asking folk to avoid that lovely bit of singletrack that the Cairngorms Loop uses just after Forest Lodge, because of capers. In fact, I was asked to route the CL away from it. I approached ScotWays about this and, as luck would have it, they were just about to pop out a statement/press release about the Capercaillie issue.

https://scotways.com/review-of-capercai ... anagement/

in summary, it draws the readers attention to the fact that there are proper "channels" for limiting access and that any restrictions should be for as short a time as possible. It might be worth dropping them an email about your encounter, including GRs and, if possible, the wording on the sign.

Other than that; Secret Howff - I'm pretty sure I know where it is (aerial photography :wink: ) , just haven't been along there for a long time. Deeside Trail - on my list. I like the idea that there are places for food AND A PINT - on the way :-) So no, I'm not jealous at all!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Also hmm. The problem is that there is still a school of thought in conservation that you should stop anything that is suspected of disturbing wildlife as a precaution, irrespective of any other consequences. The problem being its not based on evidence, just perceptions and options of the conservationist concerned (some of whom can be quite anti access)

Oh well good response from Scotways. I'd keep the CL route as is - no-one riding it is going to be stopping and that's what causes the disturbance. We used to see capers all the time around Inshriach and the baden - our experience is that they didn't seem to care much one way or another about a passing bike but tourists who wanted to take photos of them generally got a vigorous response apparently, which only made them more attractive to tourists.....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:31 pm Also hmm. The problem is that there is still a school of thought in conservation that you should stop anything that is suspected of disturbing wildlife as a precaution, irrespective of any other consequences. The problem being its not based on evidence, just perceptions and options of the conservationist concerned (some of whom can be quite anti access)
Some years ago a Ring Ouzel set up nest very close to one of the paths leading up to Stanage Edge in the Peak District, a very popular climbing destination. So signs were put up at either end of the path asking folk to use a parallel alternative which they duly did. What did the bird do? Move its nest closer to the path in use! It was using us humans as protection!

There's a few Peregrine Falcons nesting in the Dales now and they exhibit quite different behaviour. The pair at Malham Cove are oblivious to people, just as well given the number of visitors, and you can climb routes to within maybe twenty metres of their nest and they simply don't care. Just over the hill in Littondale there's another pair that go ballistic if anyone steps out of their car on the road some 300 metres from the nest.

Anyway, really need to get up and ride some of the Deeside trails other than bits of the Cairngorms Loop :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry