Sunny Tour of the Cairngorms

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Sunny Tour of the Cairngorms

Post by redefined_cycles »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:29 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:19 pm Just came across this report. Thanks for posting up Phil. Haven't checked the rest of the thread but you mentioned making a group start or something like that. 100 miles seems alot more doable to me than the Carignorms loop/loops... Eagerly await more info whenever it trickles through :grin:
Two things...

The outer loop of the Cairngorms misses out the least rideable sections and is quite a bit shorter. It also has all of the food options.

If you were coming all this way, it would be a shame not to enjoy the full experience. No need to have a completion deadline either, it would make a nice 3/4 day trip.
Thats nice thanks Colin. So the groupstart.. that's the full outer and inner right?. Am hoping at some point to come and check out the cairgnorms, yes Colin (God Willing).
ton

Post by ton »

i am gonna have a go at the loop in september.
hoping that a local guide steps forward to help me get safely round............ :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Shaf - the group starts are of the full 300km route, so both inner and outer. Virtually all of the real hike-a-bike is concentrated in the section from Nethy Bridge to Dee Lodge, there's a few short sections outside this but none are really as hard or as sustained as that section.

The inner sections of Nethy Bridge to Dee Lodge and the new bothy at Red Lodge to the road in Glen Feshie get you into some really stunning scenery so are worth doing in daylight, on the group start you get to the latter as the light is fading unless you are really fast. A start that gets you to a bivy somewhere around Glenmore Lodge would fit that schedule.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ton wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:49 pm i am gonna have a go at the loop in september.
hoping that a local guide steps forward to help me get safely round............ :grin:
I'll ask around for you ..

FWIW of the three official starters yesterday morning, two had scratched by late afternoon. Can't say I blame them. I was on the Minigaig at 850m when the rain rolled in and it didn't really relent. There was a cold, strong southerly breeze too.

Marigold Mike is still out there I think.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

boxelder wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:39 am
The wooden hut to the side has a 4 person thunderbox
Is this a euphemism for toilets, or somewhere to stay safe in electrical storms?
It seemed a slightly odd arrangement. I think they will operate like the ones at corrour bothy whereby one is use and the others ar composting.

Or the MBA is trying to promote a victorianesque social toilet experience!
FLV

Post by FLV »

There was 2 locked off and 2 available for action a couple of weeks ago so that theory stands up.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Quite handy having a loo there actually given the capriciousness of my digestive system. Still not sure about sitting side by side with somebody though....
Dakkar

Post by Dakkar »

Good write up and inspiring pics.
I'm thinking about coming up to do the Cairngorm loops on jubilee weekend. I wont arrive at Blair Atholl until the late evening, two questions:

What time does the chippy close?
Can you recommend a good bivvy spot shortly after leaving the A9?

Cheers
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Dakkar wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:24 pm Good write up and inspiring pics.
I'm thinking about coming up to do the Cairngorm loops on jubilee weekend. I wont arrive at Blair Atholl until the late evening, two questions:

What time does the chippy close?
Can you recommend a good bivvy spot shortly after leaving the A9?

Cheers
Oops, just seen this - Looks like the chippy is open until 8.30pm but closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Re bivvy spots if you are doing the 'loop' then I'd aim for somewhere up the Edendon water i.e. the track north after the bit alongside the A9. The ruined cottage of Badnambiast might just do at a push although the sheep were in it when I looked a few years ago. Up by Sronphradruig lodge there is plenty of space for a sheltered pitch. I think the owner has put signs up to keep people away but it's empty so no real issues. There is a bit on its north side outside it's boundary fence which would be sheltered from a south westerly wind as well.