Bivi World Record

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Bivi World Record

Post by sean_iow »

I think a few of us went out for this so thought it would be good to see how many Boners are now World Record Holders?

As I had already been out for Feb's BAM I decided on a foot based bivi, i.e. I walked there. It was local to me so only just over a mile. I took just about the same kit as I did for my BAM earlier in the week and was surprised how much there is when you put it in a single bag (rucksack) as opposed to spread it out over a set of bike luggage.

I only had

Sleeping Bag, Mat, Pillow, Bivi Bag
Tarp, Lines, Pegs - NO POLES :lol:
Long Johns, Socks, Down Socks, Long Sleeve Base Layer, Hat, Wrist Warmers
Down Jacket and Waterproof
Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Deodorant
Stove, Fuel, Porridge, Snacks, Coffee, Water Bottle
GoPro, Light, Mini Tripod - To record the bivi for the record
Headtorch, Glasses, Phone, Mini Thermometer

That lot filled a 30 litre rucksack.

I found it tricky when I got there to get organised as I had to get stuff out of the rucksack to get to stuff packed further down etc. I guess this is just that I'm not used to going on foot. On the bike all of the shelter and sleeping kit is in the front bag and unpacks in the required order, this is just habit now as I've done it so many times. Once that's sorted my sleeping clothes are in the seat pack and as I take off my riding kit I pack that into the empty bag off the front (that had the shelter etc. in) so I don't have to put anything on the ground. In the morning this just reverses and once dressed the shelter/sleeping bag pack away.

I slept well, as always, and if anything I was a touch warm at times. I didn't even wear my jacket, just my base layers, but the bag should be toasty at the temps expected, even for a cold sleeper like me. The thermometer said a low of 4 degrees. Jane (at home) said she woke up in the night as she was cold :lol: In the morning I woke to the sun shining through the trees and the sound of the birds chirping. After breakfast and packing up it was just a short walk home.

Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Re: Bivi World Record

Post by redefined_cycles »

Haha. I love the 'Fell Asleep' sign there Sean. I had planned to attempt this but alas work and softness got in the way. But I am attempting to be back on the BAM pretty soon.

Well done mate, you world record holder you :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Nice one Sean :-bd

Same here, did this without a bike, and had a similarly confusing experience with packing everything into a rucksack.

I had scouted out a really good looking spot earlier in the week, about here, nice and sheltered from the prevailing winds, and with what I hoped would be an amazing view of a magnificent sunrise.

ImageIMG_20220228_093558 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

With some horror I had read a post on facebook at teatime that someone else had chosen that same location for their bivi... but I figured it's a pretty big place... When we arrived at somewhen after nine, we did indeed pass a group of head torches just above the car park, but feeling decidedly antisocial ("gerrorf our mountain") we completely ignored them, and headed on up to higher ground. I hadn't expected it to be quite as windy as it was, but it was quite fun, trying to locate the path in the dark, wind so strong we had trouble staying upright, and when we reached lush spot of choice, the wind direction turned out to be quite different from when I had scouted it - so blowing a hooley :lol:

ImageIMG_20220228_101458 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Our spot was in fact a deluxe two bedroom cottage, remains thereof (photo taken in the morning, obvs.), and being the gentlelady that I am, I let my friend have the one with the better windbreak - which was also a nice backrest to lean up against for a luxurious late night hot chocolate under an amazingly clear starry sky, which I'd brought ready made in a flask (such extravagance!) This was topped though by my friend pulling out a bottle of absolutely stonking authentic Polish cherry brandy which he'd been given by a neighbour. A bit like benylin, or soothers - I had to have several top ups to make sure I wasn't sure whether I liked it or not :lol: .

Before that though, getting our bivvies set up in the howling gale was fun! My friend's bivvy bag, teeny tinily cheating on the rules, but he didn't know there were rules to be fair, was one that is pegged and had a tiny little hoop :o , so not too bad, but mine was in severe danger of flying away, so I decided the best thing was to assemble it whilst sitting on/ in it - not easy to insert the sleep mat. In another first, for my last pee before sleep time, I had to ask him to hold onto my bed while I went so it would still be there on my return :lol: . Fast forward to a few hours later, when nature called again, and you would have seen me perform a ridiculous semi acrobatic manouvre: Trying to get just about as far away from my bed to pee as is decent, yet at the same time close enough to keep one hand on, or at least near enough, the bag, so I could grab it before any sudden gust could take it...

Sleeping was actually really really cosy, with the low walls providing some shelter, and the wind blowing was such a great noise. Wore gloves, which was a bit of a revelation, very nice!

At some point, my friend woke me up (mid dream, with a proper jumping out of my skin and sound effect), to look at the spacex satellite train moving across the sky right above us, that was incredible!

Towards morning, the wind dropped, and we were treated to a stunning sunrise, with venus shining brightly
ImageIMG_20220227_061640 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

We had coffee, biscuits and Polish sausage for breakfast, took the official photos for the world record challenge, and whiled away another several hours in good conversation and warm morning sun, before eventually heading back home for a lazy Sunday.

ImageIMG_20220227_064052 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220228_101411 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220228_101304 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

Quite bonkers. Love it!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

You must have drunk quite the volume of cherry brandy to have thought that random pile of rocks was
Our spot was in fact a deluxe two bedroom cottage, remains thereof
:lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Verena

Post by Verena »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:51 am You must have drunk quite the volume of cherry brandy to have thought that random pile of rocks was
Our spot was in fact a deluxe two bedroom cottage, remains thereof
:lol:
Just a bad photo Sean, definitely a cottage :lol:
Ruddy22

Post by Ruddy22 »

I got out will a few mates (5 in total), here in lancs, and am one of the 1,387!

Nice evening but v cold wind. Didn't both with a tarp in the woods as forecast dry.

There was a girl at the spot doing the record and had psyched herself up to so a solo. Only for us 5 to rock up. All good though.

Will try and post a picture!

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

3 of us got out on this one.
Les, Brian and me

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

That last image is particularly lovely John :-bd