Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Kate

planning bikepacking hebridean way

Post by Kate »

i have a cube touring 500 trapeze e bike
i’ve found a route and package not out of reach
first time doing more than a 2 day
i’ve got some equipment questions for advice please
at the moment i have a hilleberg akto solo and a couple of altura arran 36 panniers - the tent fits in one of these
i know i can attach front bags and should have no trouble asking my local bike shop about these
i know i’ll need a bike poncho (?) is this right?’do you think it’s worth getting rain protection for the panniers i do have or get new bigger ones?
i have a super light and tiny stove and good food fuel ideas but it might not be enough space for an 8 day trip?
planning 3 b and b nights to break it up
just attempt packing i need a sleeping bag that packs tiny, some fuel for stove also
what sort of clothes needed for september scotland?
any good resources you know about other than here please?
thank you 🙏 ❤️
Last edited by Kate on Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodsmith

Re: planning bikepacking hebridean way

Post by woodsmith »

Hi Kate and welcome to the forum.
I presume that if you're using panniers that you're also using a rack. Why not strap the tent to the top to free up some space in the panniers?
It can be very windy on the Outer Hebrides so a poncho might not work well. Most people on here use a waterproof jacket and waterproof trousers. The Columbia outdry ex reign jackets have a strong following on here.
If the panniers aren't waterproof then put the things which must remain 100% dry into dry bags. Rubble sacks from Screwfix make great cheap, super durable bag liners. External rain covers don't work very well as they can't give full coverage and tend to inflate like parachutes.
Is it a gas stove? One medium sized can should last you 8 days if you're careful. You could take an extra small one as a back-up.
Rather than B and B's you could look at staying in the Gatliff Trust Hostels. They're really great.
Have a search on the forum about this route. Its been discussed a few times in the past.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Kate wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:34 pm i have a cube touring 500 trapeze e bike
i’ve found a route and package not out of reach
first time doing more than a 2 day
i’ve got some equipment questions for advice please
at the moment i have a hilleberg akto solo and a couple of altura arran 36 panniers - the tent fits in one of these
i know i can attach front bags and should have no trouble asking my local bike shop about these
i know i’ll need a bike poncho (?) is this right?’do you think it’s worth getting rain protection for the panniers i do have or get new bigger ones?
i have a super light and tiny stove and good fuel but it might not be enough space for an 8 day trip?
planning 3 b and b nights to break it up
just attempt packing
any good resources you know about other than here please?
thank you 🙏 ❤️
Hi Kate, other might comment about pannier bag [edit :thanks woodsmith] , but if it help use dry bags & pack the poles & pegs separate to the tent inner & fly sheet.. that may help you use space more effectively.
I would suggest a water proof jacket and over trousers instead of a Cape. Capes catch the wind a Could seriously affect steering and general bike handling. since some of them are cut long, there is a risk of wheel snagging also to consider. I know I tried one many years ago as a youth.... the front between the arms can also become a water trough. having said that Josie Dew swore by then and their 'undocumented' ports-a-loo feature. long leg front covers (like 'chaps' are also available, but I have no exterience). shoe covers are recommended...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
donaldbmcintosh

Post by donaldbmcintosh »

I did the Hebridean Way as my first 'big' bikepacking trip a few years ago. It rained pretty much the whole time, so I was wet through for most of it. I foolishly did it north to south which was into the wind almost the whole way. I've never tried a poncho but that could be a good idea, aside from the 'sail effect' mentioned above. It was certainly windy up there. These days I prioritise keeping my top-half warm and dry so always have a decent (i.e. not too lightweight) waterproof, use mudguards (so uncool I know) and don't try to keep anything else dry. A warm core is as much as you can hope for on a bike I think. Although I am considering shoe covers.

Great shop on Benbecula. Good cafe at Kirkibost. And endless incredible beaches... although hopefully you have the weather to fully appreciate them, unlike me.

More details on my blog here if required: https://www.donaldmcintosh.net/bike/hebridean-adventure
Kate

Post by Kate »

I presume that if you're using panniers that you're also using a rack. Why not strap the tent to the top to free up some space in the panniers?

thanks woodsmith
lol what an idiot not to think of that!

thanks for your post and advice
more questions later
Kate

Post by Kate »

lol yes maybe i need to invest in a she-wee
thanks for poncho advice
was just thinking dry would be nice
maybe not hebridean way?
Kate

Post by Kate »

It rained pretty much the whole time, so I was wet through for most of it.

that sounds not so much fun

i foolishly did it north to south which was into the wind almost the whole way.

planning usual direction!!

I've never tried a poncho but that could be a good idea, aside from the 'sail effect' mentioned above. It was certainly windy up there. These days I prioritise keeping my top-half warm and dry so always have a decent (i.e. not too lightweight) waterproof, use mudguards (so uncool I know) and don't try to keep anything else dry. A warm core is as much as you can hope for on a bike

god!!! outer hebrides pictures are not in the rain but have seen the monthly forecast
More details on my blog here if required: https://www.donaldmcintosh.net/bike/hebridean-adventure

i’ll check out your blog! thanks
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

here is a online review by cycling UK, (was Cycle touring club) positive poncho review, note it doesn't mention winy weather.
It also offers Decathlons own as an alternative lists, £30-40 rather than £150 and above...

also... https://bromptoning.com/bike-specs/rain ... es-poncho/

https://road.cc/content/review/56364-r ... leg-covers
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Hi Kate and welcome to the forum. When I joined a few years ago I had been using panniers briefly but soon after I was fully fitted out with bike packing kit. The handling of the bike is like night and day (IMO) and most of the initial stuff I got off here in the classifieds section.

Enjoy your planned trip (and I hear the birds of prey population up there, especially golden eagles, is amazing).
Kate

Post by Kate »

thanks redefined
i just got some stuff for that from gumtree and ebay
i hope it’s the right stuff anyway
what litres do you suggest for a week for one person?
i got waterproof second hand front and rear panniers and a phone recharger that seems good and solar power waterproof
i’ll have a look at the adds section, thanks !
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Kate wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:58 pm
what litres do you suggest for a week for one person?
Liters of bag volume? For panniers or bikepacking bags? I guess it depends on how much stuff you want to take. Typical bikepacking bags are a seatpack of about 10 to 15liters , a front roll of about 15 to 20 liters, a frame bag in the main triangle which will be around 5 liters and a couple of top tube bags for tools and snacks etc of around a liter each maximum. Extra vulume can be added with fork leg bags ( if your bike has the appropriate mounts) of about 3 to 5 liters on each leg. So as you can see your 36 liter panniers have approx the same volume as the seatpack + front roll + frame bag combined.
Kate

Post by Kate »

need to understand bikepacking more i guess :)

i have front panniers and rear panniers, i was going to just go with that and a central bag for the tent on the back
i should have asked for more advice or researched
front are 25 together and rear?40 together the new waterproof ones
now going back to a regular bike not electric
using one i got for my sister years ago
basic specialized hybrid
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Kate wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:19 am need to understand bikepacking more i guess :)

i have front panniers and rear panniers, i was going to just go with that and a central bag for the tent on the back
i should have asked for more advice or researched
front are 25 together and rear?40 together the new waterproof ones
now going back to a regular bike not electric
using one i got for my sister years ago
basic specialized hybrid
That should be ample volume. All I can suggest is try packing all the stuff you plan to take and have a bit of extra space for food, snacks, sea shells etc. Whatever you do, don't take extra stuff just because you have spare volume.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:29 am . Whatever you do, don't take extra stuff just because you have spare volume.
what packs neatly and compactly at home. might not on a windy campsite. - If things get damp they expand in size.! (water has a, little bulk)...
if it hasn't been mentioned our mantra is Take Less Stuff (TLS), but what to leave out and what is necessary comes with experience.(You're not BeatGrylls) But make sure you take all the essential, warm clothing water proofs shelter, etc... it clothing is synthetic it will dry or only be slightly damp next day. & will quickly dry out in fresh air with exercise, so a dry set of clothes for night and one or two sets of clothes for day wear... that should cut it down. slightly loose clothes feel better than clingy ones are are more adaptable for changes in temperature.. the other side of TLS is some thing has more than one use (if possible) so a headtorch could also be a bike light etc..

also before you go have a trial run a bike ride all day and an overnight.. I've camped a lot and cycle-camping/ bikepacking opened my eyes...

just keep asking..
and it better to buy a quality once item than buy 'cheap then spend more than once...
:-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:57 am Whatever you do, don't take extra stuff just because you have spare volume.

also before you go have a trial run a bike ride all day and an overnight.. I've camped a lot and cycle-camping/ bikepacking opened my eyes...
If you're a little unsure of the performance of the gear you might take I reckon these are two of the best bits of advice. And do the trial run with your complete set-up but in the rain.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:54 am
ledburner wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:57 am Whatever you do, don't take extra stuff just because you have spare volume.

If you're a little unsure of the performance of the gear you might take I reckon these are two of the best bits of advice. And do the trial run in the rain.

why thank you Reginald. ... that given me to confidence now that I won't be believe a word of the missus who frequently say 'are talking crap again?' *
Shaf, I may expect a cold bed and no meal, :shock:.
A-any fasting advice :roll: :o?

* also, camp pass to the hen-pecked husbands AGM revoked.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:54 am

If you're a little unsure of the performance of the gear you might take I reckon these are two of the best bits of advice. And do the trial run in the rain.

why thank you Reginald. ... that given me to confidence now that I won't be believe a word of the missus who frequently say 'are talking crap again?' *
For those who have gone before,

-May I expect a cold bed and no meal(s)? , :shock:.

Shaf, A-any fasting advice :roll: :o?

* also, camp pass to the hen-pecked husbands AGM revoked.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

One thing I'd say is that there is no where to hide if the weather turns foul as there aren't any trees. Look up the Gatliff Trust hostels though as they are cheap and a great option for shelter. You can also camp next to them cheap and use the facilities. Another good campsite is on the southern end of North Uist at Cleit feora, about a mile after the causeway on the left. I think it has a bunkhouse as well.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

I did Hebridean way a few years ago, mixed weather but no days with non stop rain. I’d ditch the poncho idea, will be a PiTA in wind. And it’s always windy up there. Speaking of wind, I’d ditch the front panniers (too much volume and wind will catch them) and don’t fill the 40 litre tails. Tent on the rack. Get dry bags for panniers. Get a waterproof bar bag for your kipping bag, and if it has a pouch they are useful for snacks etc. Decent waterproof jacket (Columbia out dry), and most of the time you can get away with bottom half just being damp or drying out. Pair of over trousers for when/if it does P down.

Golden road on Harris is a must do.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Hi Kate. I've taken a while to respond to this, hoping I might get my thoughts in order but it's going to be a bit of a brain dump instead. Sorry if it's hard to follow.

For context, I've ridden the Hebridean Way, B&Bing it. I have in-laws in Lewis who we visit regularly. My wife and I have been to Uist for our main holidays for the past seven years. My last job was supplying hire bikes and cyclist "taxi" services in the Scottish Highlands and I've been involved with hundreds of Hebridean Way cyclists as a result.

First of all, it's a fantastic trip. Regardless of the weather, folk come back buzzing about it. Many of our customers also highlighted just how friendly and accommodating the drivers were - even those who came from countries we'd otherwise think had better cycling infrastructure. Eight days is a decent amount of time. Too many folk rush through it (I did). When you allow for ferries etc, that time soon gets eaten up.

A Specialized hybrid will be fine. About half of our hire customers used those. The roads are pretty good and a slightly wider tyre will let you explore some of the machair path in South Uist - definitely worth a detour.

As already said, try not to take too much stuff. The steep hills aren't long and the long hills aren't steep, but I've seen lots of folk pedalling glumly as they are just overloaded. Do use all the gears - something many folk seem to avoid(?) A rack and panniers should be more than enough. If you have access to some small panniers (and the means to mount them) for the front then that can make the bike a bit more balanced. Many European cyclists actually prefer to have front and not rear panniers. a small handlebar bag of some sort is useful for keeping day-today items close at hand - money/cards, camera, phone, guide book etc. Something that can be quickly detached and re-attached will be great for cafe stops etc.

There are a number of good campsites. I especially recommend Kilbride on South Uist and Balranald in North Uist. Kilbride also has a hostel. Balranald is in the middle of an RSPB reserve and is next to a fantastic beach. There is a food van open during the day with fantastic scones, cake, soup and fresh crab rolls. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

If you are camping or B&Bing keep in mind that evening meals might need to be sourced elsewhere and not all B&Bs will have somewhere to eat close at hand. Do some research before you go to make sure you'll get fed. If you can, also pre-book your evening meals. The islands have got increasingly popular and restaurants/hotels are often fully booked in the evenings. In any case, always carry at least one days food with you. You should be able to top up each day but the gaps between shops can be quite long - and remember that almost everything will be closed on Sundays (many tearooms etc will still be open though - moreso in Uist than in Lewis/Harris on account of the religious differences).

Usually, you can just turn up at the Barra-Eriskay and Berneray-Harris ferries, but do check ahead. The past couple of years (as a result of Covid) even cyclists have needed to book.

Following NCN780 is your best option, though detouring onto the machair path for a few miles from Daliburgh northwards is a highlight. When you get to Harris you can either go up the Golden Road on the East side or NCN780 on the West side. I prefer the latter for its extensive beaches, views and a few more facilities.

My experience of the weather is that you'll either have a wet tailwind or a sunny headwind :lol:

Take Smidge and a midge net. It's usually to windy for the midge to be a big problem but when that drops they'll want to make up for lost feeding opportunities.

I assume you've looked at the logistics of getting to Barra and back from Lewis?

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff afterwards, at which point I'll post again. In the meantime, if you have questions about any of the above (or anything else I can help with) fire away.
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Most important tip I can give is……. Take plenty of pictures for us please!
Kate

Post by Kate »

UnderTheRadars wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:37 pm Most important tip I can give is……. Take plenty of pictures for us please!
sure will!
i have a buddy doing it with me now thank god
in a car van cos she can’t cycle be of her knees
hope it’s okay to chicken out if doing it alone she’s my best friend and lives 500 miles away from me in scotland
Kate

Post by Kate »

. Whatever you do, don't take extra stuff

i now have a buddy in a car van
i hope this isn’t chicken of me too much she’s my best friend who moved to scotland

if it hasn't been mentioned our mantra is Take Less Stuff (TLS), but what to leave out and what is necessary comes with experience.(You're not BeatGrylls) But make sure you take all the essential, warm clothing water proofs shelter, etc... it clothing is synthetic it will dry or only be slightly damp next day. & will quickly dry out in fresh air with exercise, so a dry set of clothes for night and one or two sets of clothes for day wear... that should cut it down. slightly loose clothes feel better than clingy ones are are more adaptable for changes in temperature.. the other side of TLS is some thing has more than one use (if possible) so a headtorch could also be a bike light etc..

i’m going to be doing a lot of practice runs which will be cool on my own but the whole trip will be done with assistance
just keep asking..
and it better to buy a quality once item than buy 'cheap then spend more than once...

thank you
Kate

Post by Kate »

And do the trial run with your complete set-up but in the rain.
[/quote]

Absolutely planning this I’ve done a very windy and rainy night in the garden followed by an early morning 15 miler the other day… Plan to do more at the weekend not over the storm obviously today or any other
Kate

Post by Kate »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:25 pm One thing I'd say is that there is no where to hide if the weather turns foul as there aren't any trees. Look up the Gatliff Trust hostels though as they are cheap and a great option for shelter. You can also camp next to them cheap and use the facilities. Another good campsite is on the southern end of North Uist at Cleit feora, about a mile after the causeway on the left. I think it has a bunkhouse as well.

Yep! I think I was a little worried about this before having had my friend offer to van for me… Thinking about missing out hostels altogether and alternate swapping night in the van with a night in the tent :)