planning bikepacking hebridean way

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Kate

Re: planning bikepacking hebridean way

Post by Kate »

Decent waterproof jacket (Columbia out dry), and most of the time you can get away with bottom half just being damp or drying out. Pair of over trousers for when/if it does P down.

Golden road on Harris is a must do.
[/quote]

registered & heeded:)
thanks
i’m going to get the jacket & do the Harris road :)
Kate

Post by Kate »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:58 pm Hi Kate. I've taken a while to respond to this, hoping I might get my thoughts in order but it's going to be a bit of a brain dump instead. Sorry if it's hard to follow.

Thanks for such a long post is so appreciated you and everyone else replying thank you so much!

For context, I've ridden the Hebridean Way, B&Bing it. I have in-laws in Lewis who we visit regularly. My wife and I have been to Uist for our main holidays for the past seven years. My last job was supplying hire bikes and cyclist "taxi" services in the Scottish Highlands and I've been involved with hundreds of Hebridean Way cyclists as a result.

definite kudos

First of all, it's a fantastic trip. Regardless of the weather, folk come back buzzing about it. Many of our customers also highlighted just how friendly and accommodating the drivers were - even those who came from countries we'd otherwise think had better cycling infrastructure. Eight days is a decent amount of time. Too many folk rush through it (I did). When you allow for ferries etc, that time soon gets eaten up.

I think I’m gonna need it!!
the itinerary I looked at which we are going to follow was for seven days and the last day with 62 miles which is crazy for a last day

A Specialized hybrid will be fine. About half of our hire customers used those. The roads are pretty good and a slightly wider tyre will let you explore some of the machair path in South Uist - definitely worth a detour.

I had one £100 more I never should’ve got rid of it… My sister has the low end one, I had the mid range

As already said, try not to take too much stuff. The steep hills aren't long and the long hills aren't steep,
that’s so good to know!

but I've seen lots of folk pedalling glumly as they are just overloaded.

now travelling with my friend who has a van, enough room to sleep for one and we will be alternating wild camp and van I think between us maybe find one B&B I don’t know yet… Will also be bringing all our food… And a camping stove you nearly all anyway LOL will be boring
Do use all the gears - something many folk seem to avoid(?)
always do that
A rack and panniers should be more than enough. If you have access to some small panniers (and the means to mount them) for the front then that can make the bike a bit more balanced.
Yeah that’s what I’m planning on I just found some really cheap ortlieb in small for the front
European cyclists actually prefer to have front and not rear panniers. a small handlebar bag of some sort is useful for keeping day-today items close at hand - money/cards, camera, phone, guide book etc. Something that can be quickly detached and re-attached will be great for cafe stops etc.

There are a number of good campsites. I especially recommend Kilbride on South Uist and Balranald in North Uist. Kilbride also has a hostel. Balranald is in the middle of an RSPB reserve and is next to a fantastic beach. There is a food van open during the day with fantastic scones, cake, soup and fresh crab rolls. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

definitely registered but I’m vegan apart from eggs and leather

If you are camping or B&Bing keep in mind that evening meals might need to be sourced elsewhere and not all B&Bs will have somewhere to eat close at hand. Do some research before you go to make sure you'll get fed.
Love camping with our wonderful rehydrated beans wouldn’t believe how nice they are

If you can, also pre-book your evening meals. The islands have got increasingly popular and restaurants/hotels are often fully booked in the evenings.
we’ll have to find some that case of vegans as we both are

In any case, always carry at least one days food with you.
i’m sure we’ll get bored if we just don’t do anything but eat from A packet in 8 days!

You should be able to top up each day but the gaps between shops can be quite long - and remember that almost everything will be closed on Sundays (many tearooms etc will still be open though - moreso in Uist than in Lewis/Harris on account of the religious differences).
great info!

Usually, you can just turn up at the Barra-Eriskay and Berneray-Harris ferries, but do check ahead. The past couple of years (as a result of Covid) even cyclists have needed to book.

doing that shortly

Following NCN780 is your best option, though detouring onto the machair path for a few miles from Daliburgh northwards is a highlight. When you get to Harris you can either go up the Golden Road on the East side or NCN780 on the West side. I prefer the latter for its extensive beaches, views and a few more facilities.

My experience of the weather is that you'll either have a wet tailwind or a sunny headwind :lol:

Take Smidge and a midge net. It's usually to windy for the midge to be a big problem but when that drops they'll want to make up for lost feeding opportunities.

experience that last year in Scotland are quite unbelievable how many there are

I assume you've looked at the logistics of getting to Barra and back from Lewis?
now taken care of with a van
I'm sure I'll think of more stuff afterwards, at which point I'll post again. In the meantime, if you have questions about any of the above (or anything else I can help with) fire away.
thank you so much ❤️
Kate

Post by Kate »

to all:
sorry for being a big cheat

however
can anyone recommend a sleeping bag very warm that packs very tiny?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Kate wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:23 pm to all:
Nah, you're all good. Rule #2: "There Are No Rules"
however
Very warm? Packs very tiny? Here you go...

655g for -9c rating....

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/hispar-400- ... g-k-series

Sorry for being flippant Kate, you'll soon get used to This Place :wink: . Rather like a fine tequila, it's an acquired taste but well worth it when you Get It :grin: . A belated very warm welcome to you. If you survive the first few days, you'll be here forever..... there is no escape... MWA-HA-HA-HAAAHHHH!!!

If you buy the bag and don't get on with it, I'll take it off your hands (but that 'burnt orange' outer is horrible, can you get the blue one please?) :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

however
Ignore Reg, we try to but fail :grin: . Thermorest Vesper quilts are fab. Else vango stuff is a good value option. Alpkit more money but good as well
RIP

Post by RIP »

Phil's right, that didn't translate properly at all! I think I was cackhandedly venting my own frustration at the unattainable Holy Grail of get-it-right-first-time superlight superwarm supercheap.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A lot of good points already covered.

Regarding TLS: This takes a bit of getting used to since there's always that "but what if..." thought that niggles at the back of your mind. The reality is that, providing you keep things maintained and in good working order then very little goes wrong. One strategy for cutting down on kit is to make three piles of kit when you get back from a trip:

1. The stuff you used.
2. The stuff you didn't use.
3. The emergency stuff like First Aid Kit and bike tools (though even here you can cut down quite a lot)

On your next trip, don't take the stuff from the second pile. Repeat until pile #2 doesn't have anything in it.

Sometimes you need to make a judgement call - you wouldn't leave a waterproof at home just because it didn't rain on one trip for example. The season can make a difference as well, most of the ultra light and compact setups are really summer only, winter is a whole different ball game even here in the UK. I'll be a gramme weenie in summer but in winter I'll take what's needed and add more and bigger bags to accommodate that kit.

If you search through the "News and Reviews" part of the site there's a post entitled "TLS" plus there's lots of other nuggets that Stu's written over the years.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Kate

Post by Kate »

RIP wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:33 pm
Nah, you're all good. Rule #2: "There Are No Rules"
however
Very warm? Packs very tiny? Here you go...

655g for -9c rating....

THATS THE ONE I WANT

https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/hispar-400- ... g-k-series

Sorry for being flippant Kate, you'll soon get used to This Place :wink: . Rather like a fine tequila, it's an acquired taste but well worth it when you Get It :grin: . A belated very warm welcome to you. If you survive the first few days, you'll be here forever..... there is no escape... MWA-HA-HA-HAAAHHHH!!!

If you buy the bag and don't get on with it, I'll take it off your hands (but that 'burnt orange' outer is horrible, can you get the blue one please?) :smile: .
HAHAHA I quite like the orange
Kate

Post by Kate »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:06 pm

however
Ignore Reg, we try to but fail :grin: . Thermorest Vesper quilts are fab. Else vango stuff is a good value option. Alpkit more money but good as well
thing is now i want one at least £400
i’m terrible x
Kate

Post by Kate »

RIP wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:58 pm Phil's right, that didn't translate properly at all! I think I was cackhandedly venting my own frustration at the unattainable Holy Grail of get-it-right-first-time superlight superwarm supercheap.....
all good, i’m just terrible at spending too much lol
Kate

Post by Kate »

whitestone wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:57 pm A lot of good points already covered.

Regarding TLS: This takes a bit of getting used to since there's always that "but what if..." thought that niggles at the back of your mind. The reality is that, providing you keep things maintained and in good working order then very little goes wrong. One strategy for cutting down on kit is to make three piles of kit when you get back from a trip:

1. The stuff you used.
2. The stuff you didn't use.
3. The emergency stuff like First Aid Kit and bike tools (though even here you can cut down quite a lot)

On your next trip, don't take the stuff from the second pile. Repeat until pile #2 doesn't have anything in it.

Sometimes you need to make a judgement call - you wouldn't leave a waterproof at home just because it didn't rain on one trip for example. The season can make a difference as well, most of the ultra light and compact setups are really summer only, winter is a whole different ball game even here in the UK. I'll be a gramme weenie in summer but in winter I'll take what's needed and add more and bigger bags to accommodate that kit.

If you search through the "News and Reviews" part of the site there's a post entitled "TLS" plus there's lots of other nuggets that Stu's written over the years.
thank you xxx great advice
i’ll do the 1. 2. 3 thing!!!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

:-bd
let us know how you're progressing, how the bike ride /camps go.
and keep asking away... :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ledburner wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:49 pm :-bd
let us know how you're progressing, how the bike ride /camps go.
and keep asking away... :grin:
Indeed. Sometimes such questioning makes those more experienced of us think about things in a different way rather than our go-to methods. You never stop learning.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Kate wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:57 am

however
thing is now i want one at least £400
i’m terrible x
Bloody hell, just seen that vesper 20 quilts are now £330 (oddly the long ones are cheaper) I'm sure I paid under £250 back in October. In that case I see Cumulus have stock again - https://cumulus.equipment/uk_en/quilts- ... t-350.html
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:24 pm Bloody hell, just seen that vesper 20 quilts are now £330 (oddly the long ones are cheaper) I'm sure I paid under £250 back in October. In that case I see Cumulus have stock again - https://cumulus.equipment/uk_en/quilts- ... t-350.html
They were well over £300 when I looked into getting one in the second half of last year.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bloody hell, just seen that vesper 20 quilts are now £330 (oddly the long ones are cheaper) I'm sure I paid under £250 back in October. In that case I see Cumulus have stock again - https://cumulus.equipment/uk_en/quilts- ... t-350.html
Are Cumulus shipping to the UK now? I thought I saw someone here or another forum saying that they had stopped after brexit. Of course you can still get them via any resellers who ship here.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Boab wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:16 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:24 pm Bloody hell, just seen that vesper 20 quilts are now £330 (oddly the long ones are cheaper) I'm sure I paid under £250 back in October. In that case I see Cumulus have stock again - https://cumulus.equipment/uk_en/quilts- ... t-350.html
They were well over £300 when I looked into getting one in the second half of last year.
Ah just checked my receipts - cost me £300. I must have been feeling flush that month...
whitestone wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:06 pm
Are Cumulus shipping to the UK now? I thought I saw someone here or another forum saying that they had stopped after brexit. Of course you can still get them via any resellers who ship here.
https://cumulus.equipment/uk_en/ Seems to be a UK oriented website now so looks like it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a temperature rating on a Cumulus quilt before.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:12 pm Interesting. I don't think I've ever seen a temperature rating on a Cumulus quilt before.
They've given them for at least five years or however long ago I got mine. Fairly accurate for me but YMMV, etc.