2021 Running Roundup

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

2021 Running Roundup

Post by GregMay »

Sure why not.

Year did not pan out as I'd expected, in many ways. Job change (from a hateful situation, to one of near bliss - as much as secondary teaching is), family changes (daughter to school), and more or less no time out of the Valley (not ideal for my tiny brain)

Quite a bit of racing, mostly orienteering, two BIG races (ultras over 60km) and a lot of long/fun runs. Either way, the numbers surprised me.

Distance: 1,956km
Vert: 78,088m
Time: 270 hours

All of this was either trail or fell, zero road running.

Guess I can call myself a runner now, odd, I've never ever felt like one.
sean_iow

Re: 2021 Running Roundup

Post by sean_iow »

My only goal was to run 1000 miles in the year. It's only just over 19 miles a week so how hard could it be :???:

At the start of the year I did find it tough to keep the mileage up but once I stopped trying to keep the bike mileage up as well and realised that I don't have the time to run and ride big miles and concentrated on the running it was much easier. Got to a 1000 with enough time to spare to stretch that target to 1200 (100 a month average) and made that.

Clocked up my longest ever run, 35 miles, so a good way to finish the year off.

Didn't do any racing at all, far too hard and painful :lol:

Did try to run off road as much as possible, tarmac and paved paths only used as a necessary evil to join up trails or to reach the destination.

Distance 1985 km
Vert 33021 m
Time 188 hrs

In metric as Greg started like that, wished I looked at the metric distance earlier as only 15 km short of 2000 :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:16 pm ...wished I looked at the metric distance earlier as only 15 km short of 2000 :roll:
Come on, you've still got a couple of hours of 2021 left!
jameso

Post by jameso »

At the other end of the ability scale, I stuck with it a full year. Zero to somewhere so far. Went from 1x a week 25 mins on flat lanes, not liking it and feeling sore afterwards but needing the fix, to longer hilly xc runs around a short loop - 3 laps, then 5, then 6 with added hill repeat, etc.
Getting off tarmac was great.
Leaving the earphones out was great too. Natural sounds are nicer.
Moved to somewhere steep and hilly recently and my morning 5km is incredibly beautiful. Very lucky.
Now I'm out 2-3x a week and enjoy just exploring paths that aren't of such interest on the bike and looking for steep bits.
Feels like it's clicked. Bought some proper shoes that grip well. Back to back 10-13km days are fine and I have a longer loop in mind soon. Generally I have no real idea of how far I run or the elevation, just time and effort and how I feel. It's great - there's a feeling of ongoing improvement and it's rewarding. Thanks for the tips a while back Greg.