Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:16 pm Re spelling of bivvy/bivy/bivvie/bivi/whatever, anybody remember the Mivvi ice cream/lolly (*)? I think "Mivvi a Month" would be quite appealing. Certainly in this weather.
Ahh the strawberry mivvi, Ice cream of the gods
Verena

Post by Verena »

edwellz wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:10 pm Another post work loop for this month's BaM from Brecon along the canal to Llangynidr, over the mountain road into Ebbw Vale, before venturing into new terrain to ride up to Trefil Quarry. Was utterly deserted and bizarre but amazing to ride through - I though I was about to be ambushed by Tusken Raiders! A gorgeous descent down the Bridleway into Ponsticill, up over the Brecon Gap and back into town for supplies before crashing in a local woods. Woke up with the sun to be back in work for the early shift.

Sound great! Trefil quarries explore is definitely on my list for this year!

Ermm just one thing, when you say "crashing in local woods", I hope they're not the same local woods I frequent?? It just occurred to me last night again when I went out to my bivvy spot, which I was confident would be completely deserted that time of night, no lights on at all, just how weird it would be to bump into someone doing the exact same thing?!?
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:22 pm
edwellz wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:10 pm back into town for supplies before crashing in a local woods.
If you bump into any strange women in said woods wielding a bivvy bag or hammock - Do Not Approach, Call The Relevant Authorities Immediately, Retire To A Safe Distance.

How're you doing by the way, V? :smile:

Nice route that! Jealous :smile:
Ha, sorry, should have read all the way down...

Yes Ed, my point exactly :lol:
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

It’s taken me a week to finally getting around to writing up an account of the three-day BAM trip in the Cairngorms I made last week. I left Braemar on Tuesday 8th June, headed to the Linn of Dee via the Mar Estate Bridge then made my way up to Derry Lodge.

ImageTowards Derry Lodge by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Plain sailing all the way on good gravel tracks but as I continued northwards up Glen Derry things got rather less smooth – water bars and rocks, mostly.

ImageLooking back down Glen Derry by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

After a fair bit of hike a bike I eventually reached the Fords of Avon Refuge. I should add that the Fords of Avon crossing was pretty tame, with the water only coming up to mid-calf level.

ImageFords of Avon Refuge by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I had a short feed stop at the hut, taking the opportunity to shelter inside from the wind. From there I headed northeast along Glen Avon, with a loose plan of staying the night at the Faindouran Lodge bothy, if it wasn’t already occupied. There then ensued another prolonged session of hike a bike along the mostly narrow, rocky path until things flattened out a bit as I drew closer to the bothy.

On arrival at the Lodge I was surprised to see that there are actually two separate buildings, both equipped with sleeping berths. The better of the two (smaller footprint but has a wood burning stove, sleeping space upstairs and a view of the river) was occupied by a chatty guy who was staying overnight whilst he conducted a two-day bird survey in the area. We had a good natter for a while and I then crossed over to the other building to let him have his space (and in case he snored!). :lol:

ImageFaindouran Bothy by Jimmy G, on Flickr

On the morning of Day 2 after I’d had breakfast I noticed a bee crawling along the bothy floor, looking a bit worse for wear. I squeezed some of an energy gel into the rim of my pot lid. I was careful to dilute it with water so it didn’t end up ricocheting off the walls! After a while it was starting to look a bit more lively so I put it on the doorstep and when I checked later I was pleased to find it had flown off.

ImageBee rescue mission by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I was also pleased to find that the 4 x 4 track heading eastwards from the bothies was mostly smooth (anything would be, compared to the previous day!) hard-packed gravel and, with the exception of a couple of stiff climbs, was mostly downhill towards Inchrory and my next objective of Tomintoul.

ImageFaindouran Bothies ('mine' on the right) by Jimmy G, on Flickr

After a second breakfast in the Old Fire Station café in Tomintoul, I followed the road for a bit before heading in towards Glen Brown, through the Dorback Estate and into Abernethy Forest. I'd planned my trip using the Komoot app and it’s only now I realise (doh!) this section of the route is part of the Cairngorms Loop, albeit I was riding in the opposite direction to the established route.

On familiar ground now, I rode down past Ryvoan Bothy to see a couple of tents outside plus a group of people inside. No surprise there, given its easy accessibility.

ImageRyvoan Bothy by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I enjoyed a couple of well-earned beers in the Pine Marten bar before riding along the south side of Loch Morlich and finally to a bivvy spot overlooking Loch An Eilein. Unfortunately, as I was putting up my tent the breeze had died down to the point where the midges decided to come out to play. I promptly donned my head net and covered up any exposed skin and in the end got away without any bites. Result!

ImageNext to Loch An Eilein by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I awoke on the the morning of Day 3 to find there was still no breeze to speak of so I quickly packed up and rode to Drake’s Bothy in Inshriach Forest where I was able to enjoy a midge-free breakfast.

ImageLoch An Eilein by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageBothy Breakfast by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Despite having visited the Cairngorms many times over the years (Munro bagging and biking), this was actually the first time I’d been as far as Upper Glen Feshie. I enjoyed the singletrack above the River Feshie but the area of landslip (that has been highlighted on the forum previously) was sad to see and it took some careful manhandling to get my loaded bike down the now exposed path and up the other side.

I enjoyed a leisurely lunch break at the impressive Ruigh Aiteachan bothy. It’s clearly a popular place and no less than 9 people passed through (either to eat or just to have a look round) during the hour or so I spent there.

ImageRuigh Aiteachain Bothy by Jimmy G, on Flickr

From there it was into the final phase of the trip i.e. following the River Feshie towards the Geldie Burn. As many on here will know, there was a fair bit of hike a biking to endure (think bogs, rocks, stream crossings…) before and after the new, improved Eidart Bridge. Thanks must go to Scotroutes and others for getting it fixed! :-bd

ImageEidart Bridge by Jimmy G, on Flickr

It was a relief to finally hit the 4 x 4 track heading east from the old Geldie Lodge and actually get some consistent pedalling in. It was at this point, too, where I finally got a tailwind behind me and I made swift progress from there all the way to the Linn of Dee.

In summary, that’s now 6/6 for this year and a run of 54 consecutive BAMs.
Last edited by JimmyG on Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Verena

Post by Verena »

Stunning pictures Jimmy G
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Thanks Verena!
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Verena

Post by Verena »

As usual, I had far grander plans for last night, but after a really nice long beach day out on the Gower (which brought back memories of last year's BB trip :cool: !), I decided to once more keep it short and local.

I headed out around 9.30, slightly disappointed not to be riding into a glorious sunset like it had been the night before (I know :roll: ), but it was good to be out on the bike again. I went to the special pace that is so special I don't tell anyone where it is (but I might be open to bribery with, say, a Mivvy ice lolly...), enjoying the last bit of hike a bike in the dark with no lights on. I initially went for a lower spot by the little lake, but then headed for the high ground, which was gorgeous, if a bit windy in the night. Warm and bone dry night, same as most places I think. Woke up at some stage to see the moon.

ImageIMG_20220617_035737 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Enjoyed the early morning and sat there for quite a while contemplating my socks. No coffee as my stove had gone temporarily awol, and I was due back home by seven in any case.

ImageIMG_20220617_043328 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Evidence that a bike was involved....
ImageIMG_20220617_044027 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Just another picture I like
ImageIMG_20220617_050938 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

A herd of sheep wandered by for their morning drinks

ImageIMG_20220617_051912 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

And a fun descent back to the road, which would have been quicker if it wasn't for the seven or so gates :roll: - I just love the old track, with bits of old stone wall, old gnarly trees, meadows and interesting rocks... and foxgloves!

ImageIMG_20220617_054438 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Saw quite a bit of wildlife on the way home, and even stopped for a petrol station coffee, just because I could...

6/12
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Good socks there Vernea :grin:
Jimmy, you've filled in another gap there as I've oft contemplated the trail from the Fords of Avon to Faindouran bothy. I think Bob and Colin have walked it and warned it was a bit of a schlep but I guess the dry weather has made it OK. After my trip the other week I told myself I should avoid the Cairngorms for the rest of the year having been round them three times this year so far. However....

Hmm. Scottish winter Bivvy at Faindouran lodge?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nice series of pics. Looks like a decent weather window too. Unlucky with the midge. I've not seen one yet this year!

The Cairngorms Loop route now uses the old crossing of the Allt Garbhlach in Feshie. The estate have said they're not planning to fix the washout so I just avoid it now.

I found FoA to Faindouran to be a bit frustrating as it wasn't quite rideable, just almost :-) It starts OK though so you're tempted in. I guess it's similar to the Lairig an Laoigh in many ways. Obviously easier with an unladen bike too.
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:40 pm :-bd
Surely you have some Phil? I wear mine in all serious situations. Defuses things nicely.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:49 pm
Surely you have some Phil? I wear mine in all serious situations. Defuses things nicely.
Oh yes but tend to wear them when lounging around the house
RIP

Post by RIP »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:55 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:49 pm
Oh yes but tend to wear them when lounging around the house
and if it doesn't defuse things.... fukc 'em. Ooh I *am* in a stroppy mood tonight! Go on, put yours on and get into a confrontation with some pompous sod away from the house, you know you want to!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:13 pm
and if it doesn't defuse things.... fukc 'em. Ooh I *am* in a stroppy mood tonight! Go on, put yours on and get into a confrontation with some pompous sod away from the house, you know you want to!
Thats a good challenge - have a strop at someone (say a car driver who has cut you up) whilst wearing a pair of pink and yellow stripy socks decorated with bears :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:40 pm
Certainly a contender... says he, gritting his teeth at the prospect of another hike a bike fest, but a lot more muddy this time. :shock: IF I were to head east down Glen Avon again I think I'd take my fat bike since it'd do a better job of bouncing off (and hopefully over) the plentiful rocks in the area. Another option would be to come in from the east (the Tomintoul side). Very good tracks but it would entail a lot of climbing.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:07 pm
The Cairngorms Loop route now uses the old crossing of the Allt Garbhlach in Feshie. The estate have said they're not planning to fix the washout so I just avoid it now.
Ta Colin. Noted for future reference.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

JimmyG wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:43 am
fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:40 pm
Certainly a contender... says he, gritting his teeth at the prospect of another hike a bike fest, but a lot more muddy this time. :shock: IF I were to head east down Glen Avon again I think I'd take my fat bike since it'd do a better job of bouncing off (and hopefully over) the plentiful rocks in the area. Another option would be to come in from the east (the Tomintoul side). Very good tracks but it would entail a lot of climbing.
Yeah I'd be thinking of coming in from either TT or Ballater in December!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cock Bridge would be a possibility too.

If coming from the South, via Loch Builg, then there's an option either side of Culardoch.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Last minute DIY Audax/BAM completed on Friday.
A hilly 200km of glorious sun, wind and rain with a mate from work, straight after clocking out at mid day.
ImageIMG_20220617_210638-01
Mostly back lanes and quiet road from Huddersfield via the bakery in Settle, pizza takeway in Kirkby Stephen, then south again through Hawes before the final climb up Fleet Moss.
ImageIMG-20220618-WA0005-01
I quickly unrolled my gear, boiled some water and enjoyed rotating the whisky, lindt and hot chocolate while my mate was faffing with his tent.
ImageIMG_20220618_003759-01
Woke at 4am with the sunrise and Skylarks, nodded until 5am, porridge/coffee and off at 6am
ImageIMG_20220618_053134-01
ImageIMG_20220618_060445-01
Second breakfast at Crumbs in Silsden and back home before noon with an extra 100km in the legs. Enjoyed it :-bd

BAM 6/12
RRTY 6/12
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oh hell yes. That looks brilliant.
edwellz

Post by edwellz »

Verena wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:02 pm

Ermm just one thing, when you say "crashing in local woods", I hope they're not the same local woods I frequent?? It just occurred to me last night again when I went out to my bivvy spot, which I was confident would be completely deserted that time of night, no lights on at all, just how weird it would be to bump into someone doing the exact same thing?!?
They're the woods at the eastern end of the Brecon bypass, though I've subsequently found out that I probably shouldn't have been there :shock: , so will have to find somewhere more suitable!
Verena

Post by Verena »

edwellz wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:35 pm
Verena wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:02 pm

They're the woods at the eastern end of the Brecon bypass, though I've subsequently found out that I probably shouldn't have been there :shock: , so will have to find somewhere more suitable!
Lovely there :cool: , I bivvied at the old farm ruins once, do you know the ones I mean? Yeah annoying they put that new private sign up, but I just go in from the other end where there's no sign and if ever asked I'll pretend I didn't know... I think the locals have been walking there for years and years and are still carrying on...
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

I had reason to be down in the Burren, Co Clare last weekend, and it seems like the ideal chance to get a spin and a bivvy in for June. I was late getting down to Kinvarra (work getting in the way again), and set off an hour before sunset. A nice road section started the ride, and I was treated to lovely scenary, quiet backroads, and some glorious sunset colours.

ImageImage

While I had planned to get further into the route before camping, I am (just about) learning from previous months, and so stopped before it got too dark. Not the ideal spot, still a bit exposed, but soft ground, and no chance of being disturbed.

Up at dawn, I continued on, with some fairly strenuous hike-a-bike up onto the green roads above Fanore. Along the green roads, with a nice view across to the Aran Islands (on a good day), looping down onto the coast, and then back through Fanore, and back up onto the green roads, and inland. The route continued on over to Kilfenora, round the side of Mullaghmore, and then a slight detour to a well known landmark!
ImageImage

I finished after ~130km, back where I'd started, slightly earlier than planned, but I'd run out of water, and so cut the rest of the route slightly short. That's 6/6 for the first half of the year. It's definitely getting a little easier; but that might just be the better weather!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

GoneCaving wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:47 pm ...and then a slight detour to a well known landmark!
Looks smaller than I imagined, or is it just far away?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearlegged wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:14 pm
GoneCaving wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:47 pm ...and then a slight detour to a well known landmark!
Looks smaller than I imagined, or is it just far away?
Well played :-bd

Way off topic, but when has that mattered here, but did anyone watch the current series of taskmaster? Ardal O'Hanlon was on and in the first episode Greg said to him... "up until I saw you on here I'd always assumed you were acting in Father Ted" :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger