Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

NeilA

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by NeilA »

March 31...
Procrastination is the rule for my choice of BAM night, even WRT falls nicely at the end of April.
Last night it was do or die, given that the other day while undertaking a heavy lift my good knee got mullered (i suspect and fear cartilage damage). And of course the coldest night of the month.

Change of tactics required, given little time to faff around. My Rab sleeping bag won't fit easily in my bikepack luggage so out comes the Osprey Talon 44 rucksack. Although appearing bulky my load was fairly light. All part of a theory to scale down kit ready for the WRT weigh in.

I flew towards Malvern Hills aiming for the same area as my February bivvy, looking forward to clear skies. Up on North Hill searching for a flat spot out of the wind took an eternity. I settled for a rare level pitch just shy of 1200', overlooking the town.

This weather was an ideal test for the Alpkit Kloke, allied to an old Thermarest, and the Rab sleeping bag.
A quick set up ensued. I had hoped for some stunning night pics of the view before me, but my camera batteries all died (cold) and my phone camera is basic. Still finding manageable ways in the claustrophobic bivvy I guzzled whisky via the side of my mouth and ate chocolate that wouldnt break easily.
Sleeping position seemed far better this time round, the mat and sleeping bag filled available space and generally stayed put. I was yawning quite animatedly, but would sleep come!! Never mind i was warm and breathing. Managing the Kloke zip to leave an opening for air is a must, apparently, and good for reducing condensation so i left the smallest gap.
Nevertheless I thought i could feel water coming through the sleeping bag, eventually realising my shirt was wet from cycling. Removal of my heavy cycle top and replacing with a down jacket did the biz. Should have done so when first bedding down. There was condensation on the inside because it frosted over.
I must have slept, cos somehow it was light and the sun peeped over the horizon. More lovely views and a cold morning.
Had to force myself to make up the gear which left my fingers cold and unusable.
A purposeful journey home promised tea and brekkie.
Many things learnt, mainly my trust in the Kloke. Need some testing with rain on it and a small tarp for the future.
If all goes well will get a bivvy in before WRT.
Kit:
Whyte 19 Trail Steel
Osprey Talon 44 rucksack
Alpkit Hadron front light
Alpkit Kloke bivvy bag
Rab Ascent sleeping bag
Thermarest mat
HiGear flannel pillow
Attachments
IMG_7644resize.JPG
IMG_7644resize.JPG (26.08 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Last edited by NeilA on Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

How does one add more than one pic to a post?
Attachments
Looking towards Worcestershire Beacon
Looking towards Worcestershire Beacon
IMG_7645resize.JPG (60.01 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
Sponsored by Alpkit
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

Sorry!
Attachments
IMG_7649resize.JPG
IMG_7649resize.JPG (91.83 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Sponsored by Alpkit
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've added you to the list Neil!
To get multiple images on a post you need to use a photo hosting site so you can then paste bbcodes up. I use imgbb as this has proven to be the only one I found which didn't demand subscription money with menaces after a year of free use.
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:27 pm I've added you to the list Neil!
To get multiple images on a post you need to use a photo hosting site so you can then paste bbcodes up. I use imgbb as this has proven to be the only one I found which didn't demand subscription money with menaces after a year of free use.
Many thanks Phil, will try and use imgbb this weekend :-bd
Sponsored by Alpkit
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A couple of shots from Thursday night.

Still a bit of light approaching 2100 (summer's on the way :-bd ) A novel tarp setup for me - the Plough Point. Sling a line high up around a tree, attach to one corner of the tarp, peg out opposite corner to form a sloping ridge, peg out the two remaining corners. Nice and simple but with an Alpkit Rig7 you need to put the initial sling about 3m off the ground! Didn't help that the ground directly in front of the tree had a number of big rocks embedded in it so we had to pitch further out. There was enough room that Cath thought "sod it, I'm not pitching the Gatewood, I'll kip with you".

The 6am OMG I've got to go to work shot :lol: Got to freezing overnight but being under trees, even without leaves on, there wasn't much frost around us.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearlegged wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:50 am
fatbikephil wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:42 am Spring is here and the easy quarter...
Oh FFS, that's done it.
Yep, it's been colder now April is here than in any of the three months before, pretty much :lol:
Verena

Post by Verena »

I like the look of that plough point tarp setup, will try that sometime, ta.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

3/3 So I'm not following the rules anyway given my February Bivvy was on foot and didn't include any bicycles. Therefore I'm just as much in the running as before doing my March Bivvy on April the 1st. It would have been far nicer weather a week or two earlier, but that didn't happen because reasons. A 30 minute cycle from home, a local wildlife trust area which includes some traditional word working centre bit which is covered, made my way there leaving home around 10pm. Had a pee when I got there, another just as I was about to get into my sleeping bag, another at 0345, and another when I got up again at around 0630...I blame it being cold! Went below freezing overnight and my water bottle that I didn't touch was freezing, but was nice and comfy in my sleeping bag. I'm not too far from the main entrance to the woodland area there, so had to make a sharp exit, and the local wildlife was very loud and the dawn chorus very much woke me up in the morning despite wearing ear plugs! April/May will hopefully be the WRT, it's been a while....

https://www.strava.com/activities/6928988595

Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Aprils BaM boxed off nice and early of Friday 1st.

CX bike packed Thursday evening, rode to work through the snow showers Friday AM, then a mixed-surface (is that 'gravel'?) 50 mile loop to meet my beloved in Hebden Bridge Friday evening. Cheating slightly here as I'd convinced her it would be nice to share a romantic evening together under the canvas. Since she was driving, my large Rab down jacket was added to her pack and I was thankful for the extra layer.

A nice bit a quality time together in a field where her horses graze. It's not my garden so I guess its still in the rules :smile:

The next night out will likely be a bus shelter on the Highland Fling audax at the end of April
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

You could have ridden down for tea in the morning John ;)
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

GregMay wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:25 pm You could have ridden down for tea in the morning John ;)
Maybe next time Greg :smile:
We wandered into Hebden for a 'breakfast stack' from SQUEEZE, would recommend :-bd
GoneCaving

Post by GoneCaving »

April ticked off last Saturday. After a long day on the road, I packed up the bike and bits, and headed out on a shortish local loop. The ride felt harder than it should have, perhaps a result of a couple of days hillwalking earlier in the week. On the flip side, the camping is getting slightly easier. I felt relatively warm (not warm enough that I haven't finally got around to ordering a decent sleeping bag mind you), and got a good few hours rest. I'm looking forward to next month, when I have a few days off down in West Cork.

Imagethe view from Lordship S across Dundalk
Imagethe tent and bike
Imagepre-dawn over Carlingford
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Ticked off April with a couple of nights in my little tent while riding at The Golfie in Innerleithen.

Quietly impressed with myself at what I managed to ride down. The evening's fires were on hard ground, and the ashes disposed of carefully and responsibly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcOOfh-MC5_/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CcOQerpsx8l/

2022 BAM 4/12
2022 total bivvies 5
Current streak (months) 41
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I broke my wrist there in 1999!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

It's been far too long since I got out. Maybe this will be the kick I need to seek another 4SL badge.

A bad case of the CBF's blew out Friday and a slow start meant leaving home after midday on Saturday. The big tarmac rollers started just outside Petrie and kept putting up 60-120' climbs all the way out to Dayboro. A quick food break/grab brekky for the AM and it was off into the hills. Started off nice through rolling farmland...then turned into 11% push up a trail through the land that time forgot.

This push I'd put up there with Stu's "Toughest push in Wales". It's not steep like the Wall on TDR....but around the 45 minute mark it became clear it was type-2/type-3 fun. I'd go over Carnau in a storm before I try the Wirth Road push again. Too many big spiders (orb weavers) through here for me and was glad to push through the gate at the top of the climb.

Darkness came swiftly after hitting Range Road and with it a little drizzle which was refreshing after >1hr push. I spotted the route that I was planning on following, but it was through an overgrown gate and I didn't fancy an hour walking downhill with a long stick clearing out the spiders so that idea was sacked off and now it was slow climbs and rapid descents until I spotted a flat patch to pitch on. The trusty Hexamid kept the bitey things at bay.

hexamid_night_pitching.jpg
hexamid_night_pitching.jpg (34.77 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
Awoke to the sound of bellbirds and kookaburras at full volume and the top of the hill surrounded by cloud, making for a wet pack and a chilly descent back down into the pocket at the head of the valley. Returned through Dayboro without stopping, over the aforementioned tarmac rollers, left through Petrie and north back home.

Just over 50 miles and a bit over 5700' climbing according to the ol' Etrex. Good to get back in the saddle.

Greetz

S.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good to hear from you Scott :smile:
Scattamah wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:01 pm I'd go over Carnau in a storm before....
You quite sure about that one? :smile:
Too many big spiders (orb weavers)
Gulp.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@ Reg - yup...it couldn't be any worse than winter bivvy 2018 eh? Well maybe BB200 that year...or Braunton a few years before that...or the infamous 2015 winter bivvy. https://vimeo.com/148850259

Greetz

S.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Scattamah wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:26 pm couldn't be any worse than winter bivvy 2018 eh?
Heh heh! Great days!

Open heart surgery on MiddleAgedMadness's bike on a windswept freezing hillside....

Sheet ice.... high winds.... fog..... lunacy....

Still, as ever we can always drown our sorrows in fine style!

Last edited by RIP on Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:27 pm
Too many big spiders (orb weavers)
Gulp.
And twice Gulp...
What we talking? Dinner plate size?? Large frying pan size? :-S
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@ phil - about the size of my hand....body ~ 1". https://www.brisbaneinsects.com/brisban ... den_OW.htm

Not the bird spider you may be thinking of.

Greetz

S.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

They are quite cute. Still wouldn't want one in my hair but nice to look at. That is still quite big though.....
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Ah, the winter bivi 2018. Good times! Many fond memories and lots of type 2 fun

I bagged my April bivi last night. Slept it a bird hide with a coastal view. Used a rucksack because I CBA with all the bags, made life a bit simpler and easier. Was a 20 mile round trip, a few cheeky footpaths involved but all stole free. No stove and cooking kit, took a thermos. Also took a pair of bins and a bird book which I appreciated. Was up and away pretty early, sausage roll from the bakery on the way home :-bd
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

My god I'm enjoying the BAM this year!

I'll put a load of pics in a separate thread but here's a few from a road trip I did with my eldest lad this week...

Glendu bothy in the Assynt
Image20220419_104602 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

My 3rd find!
Image20220419_111445 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220418_190126 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image[url=https:/

/www.flickr.com/gp/150809418@N08/u7sHS8]20220419_113119[/url] by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220419_155132 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220419_222357 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220420_080514 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220420_094425 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Then on to Glen Feshire and the magnificent Ruigh Aiteachain bothy
Image20220420_174733 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220420_182101 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220420_182206 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220421_061858 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram: