Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rob S

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by Rob S »

July BaM, I went out Saturday evening to explore a bit more of North Beds. One of the bridleways I couldn't get down due to a small tree having fallen. I'm ordering a Bahco folding saw before going back.
Image20220730_211205 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
Ginsters + beer + sunset = :-bd

Image20220731_083030 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
LNT

Image20220731_084445 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
It had rained all morning so I packed up and found an Oak to have a brew under.

Image20220731_083632 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
There are some really quiet parts if you know where to look, I've never seen anyone using this bridleway.

Image20220731_105840 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
Visited Harrold country park cafe for a egg and bacon roll and a tea mid morning.

Image20220731_121703 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
Used the section of Roman road on the way home and found this mess. Dirty filthy bastards. There's some asbestos sheeting in there as well, would this be an enviromental agency issue or would it fall to the landowner to clear up?
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

would this be an enviromental agency issue or would it fall to the landowner to clear up?
My understanding is that the landowner cops for the cost of removal, EA might want to check for evidence, don't expect it to result in a prosecution, just another line on a depressing spreadsheet
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Popped out for a last minute bivy on Thursday night. Was a bit of a rush, had family staying with us and then was away camping with the family the day after so left once I’d gathered most of the kit for the family trip

Went out on my electric cargo bike as I needed to pick up some food for the family trip on the way back. As I had a bit more space I took a little chair with me and bivvied in a nature reserve by the sea. Was rather noisy being surrounded by many many seabirds, mostly little terns. Made a last minute decision to bivy at the end of a dead end path rather than the on the bigger track where there was a nice bench. Was a good decision in the end because even though I was up at just after 6am, there were already people around. Didn’t need the bench as I had a chair anyway. Had a chat with a couple of old boys who had stopped at a bench for a chat over a themos having cycled there, they could see me at my bivy spot, thought I was fishing.

Coffee and (a surprisingly good) bacon roll at Greggs on the way back, then loaded up with shopping from Tesco. Glad I was on the cargo bike because I ended up buying quite a lot and must have had about 10kg-15kg of shopping - drinks, cans of various things, pasta, snacks, bread, croissants
RIP

Post by RIP »

Enjoyed hearing about that Ben - cargobikepacking. That must be a first. Lots of scope for taking Far Too Much Stuff of course though with all that space :smile: . Maybe you could have shopped the previous evening then you'd have had all those yummy croissants etc for breakfast :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Here's my film from last weeks bivvy on Carnedd Llewellyn if anyone's interested. You'll get a good idea of the terrain/views. I quickly go through my kit near the end and in the last 30 seconds you'll see/hear what I didn't expect from being at the summit!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwpv41ZvSEA&t=
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Just sneaked in July, headed out late last night but had a lovely long snooze this morn only disturbed by some walkers.

6/7

Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

I had to settle for a local one this month due to commitments so headed off down the lane to the local for a welcome pint and to contemplate the nights resting place .
Pint downed plan formed and immediately head off in the opposite direction to the far end of the Malvern's it was about 10 o'clock and very warm perfect for a ride about halfway I got to the top of one of the hills and below me was the Welland Steam rally site all lit up ready for the weekend it looked brilliant and all the electricity for the entire site is provided by the engines not exactly clean energy in every sense .
ImagePXL_20220730_040229329 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
The top of the hill was fairly flat with a great view of the Worcestershire Alps so unpacked the sleeping kit and retired slept well got up around six before the dog walkers appeared had some breakfast and went off in search of trig points visited or got close to 5 of the 8 closest to home . I stopped for a cup of tea at a pub due the lack of cafe's I was served a tray with a teapot and a mug on a saucer which is a first :smile: I was starting to feel very hungry due to the lack of food a sitiuation made worse by constantly thinking about what to have for dinner fortunately and unexpectedly for the time of year i came across this .
ImagePXL_20220730_170041288.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
7/7 for 2022
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

July BAM...22 July...
A message from 'bike n bivi' guru Leigh earlier in the day (22nd) prompted me to join him, thus breaking my usual end of month BAM timings.

However this posting is dangerously late, my excuse, either hols or work, no time for out else!

Following work that day I hastily cooked dinner, assembled kit then cycled to meet Leigh at Diglis Bridge, Worcester. Using town cycleways and quiet country lanes we ventured to a lovely spot on the Warwickshire Avon, previously visited in April last year.

Distraction took us to a gorgeous country pub for a few good pints and a long chin wag.

Under the cloak of dark we took a short journey to our camp spot by the Avon, near to Eckington, sharing with a moored narrow boat.

The rest is history, Leigh travelling on a single speed jobbie with a modded large square basket on the front carrying minimal kit. Me on my workhorse with stuffed panniers, my only sensible choice while my number one bivi bike needs a new rear hub. Too expensive to achieve at mo. Talking of light, as confirmed devotee's we sported Alpkit Kloke's.
Attachments
wildcamp22Julyresize1.jpg
wildcamp22Julyresize1.jpg (48.02 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I breathed in, savouring the clean, fresh air. Laying back on my mat, I stared upwards. Above me, a split and twisted bough clung on to the tree trunk, its dead embrace tapering down to where lesser branches and twigs cushioned it against the sprung floor of moss and grasses.
An exhalation, purging myself of the constant rush of the working week, my body softening as tension flows out into my surroundings and evaporates.
Another deep breath in, awakening my airways, and filling my belly. Soaring above the tree's broken limb, newer growth. Strong, eager growth, reaching up to the light, ready to bathe in sunlight and rain, to swaddle in mist and to dance in the wind.
And beyond it all, a calm blue.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg6iPUVsS-7/

2022 BAM 8/12
2022 total bivvies 9
Current streak (months) 45
SR

Post by SR »

August done, head out mid afternoon friday wandered up to the forest of dean nice and quiet by the time we got up there. Via some nice single track on the way. Rolled along to symonds yat and found a nice spot. That was new spot with lovely views. Worked our way back down the valley off road for the most part. Stopping for a pint at the bottom of town before one last hill home.
Attachments
P8064584.JPG
P8064584.JPG (168.92 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
psling

Post by psling »

SR wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:44 am August done, head out mid afternoon friday wandered up to the forest of dean nice and quiet by the time we got up there. Via some nice single track on the way. Rolled along to symonds yat and found a nice spot. That was new spot with lovely views. Worked our way back down the valley off road for the most part. Stopping for a pint at the bottom of town before one last hill home.
It's scary isn't it... 26 square miles of Forest and I had a good idea of roughly where that photo was taken even before reading your post!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Saturday night - August BaM 8/12

My future wife doesn't really cycle much, but we do camp/bivvy (and occasionally race mountain marathons) together. However, after attending Dorset Divide with me a few weeks ago, she thought maybe 'bike packing' might actually be a bit of fun.

With all the gear loaded on my bike, we rode for maybe 90 minutes to the site of a WW2 decoy site (Starfish site) on the moors above Hebden Bridge, watched owls hunting along with kestrels and possibly a merlin, enjoyed the colorful sky following sunset, and chatted over a hot chocolate and whisky (G+T for herself) whilst the stars shone brightly.

ImageIMG_20220806_205242-01
ImageIMG_20220806_212038-01-01
ImageIMG_20220806_214005-01

Early start the next day, quick brew/porridge and back home for a second breakfast by 8:30am
ImageIMG_20220807_055625-01
ImageIMG_20220807_062249-01
ImageIMG_20220807_071205-01

I'd say we both enjoyed it! Nice way to spend the 9 year anniversary of our first date
RIP

Post by RIP »

another convert :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Verena

Post by Verena »

August BAM last weekend, by the shores of Llangorse Lake - see separate post.

7/12
RIP

Post by RIP »

Pete and Reg Get The Horn(es)

Local outing with MuddyPete. We'd decided to visit a brewpub that had been closed during lockdown when we last attempted it, and Pete led me on a mini magical mystery tour to get there. Through the country park past the giant chair, which was already occupied by an actual Brexit unicorn. She was impressed by my BB socks.

At this point Pete pointed out that my ultralite Wildcat frame bag bore several similarities to an item of sexy underwear. I twanged a thong for him. Conversation digressed onto Catwoman (Julie Newmar of course being the definitive and best).

Ahem... anyway.... moving swiftly onwards....

Up through the woods and the riding school where Pete made a new friend who seemed to be wearing the equine version of moonboots.

Past the golf course, more woods, etc to arrive at the brewpub, where drink was drunk and rubbish was spoken. Hornes brewery, very nice too.

As always happens, the landlady took a keen interest in the proceedings and suggested we kipped under her tables, which wouldn't be the first time I've drunk myself under the table as the saying goes. We politely declined and headed back the woods to doss down in a random spot in the ferns.

A first breakfast was served on the 18th hole, after which it was a gentle toddle back to unreality.

8/8, 8/12, 80/80
Last edited by RIP on Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Excellent stuff, Reg! A very convivial evening of top quality nonsense :-bd .

Followed by early morning coffee with Amarula (or Bailey's), instead of milk, as a livener :grin: .
May you always have tail wind.
SR

Post by SR »

psling wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:45 am
SR wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:44 am August done, head out mid afternoon friday wandered up to the forest of dean nice and quiet by the time we got up there. Via some nice single track on the way. Rolled along to symonds yat and found a nice spot. That was new spot with lovely views. Worked our way back down the valley off road for the most part. Stopping for a pint at the bottom of town before one last hill home.
It's scary isn't it... 26 square miles of Forest and I had a good idea of roughly where that photo was taken even before reading your post!

🤣 very good will have to test your knowledge again soon Psling
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

August...
Once again I was out under clear blue skies and blazing sunshine. Fair to say there has been an awful lot of this kind of thing this year!

I was up for a reasonable ride and a bit of mountain viewing so I high tailed it to Blair Atholl amongst a large volume of end of school holiday traffic. This meant it was 1:15pm before I finally got going into the heat of the day. I was heading up the Gaik pass as I've not been up for a while and whilst fairly straightforward actually one of my favourites due to the scenery and lots of nice low key landrover track.

Perfect cycling as I had a nice cool breeze blowing into my face.

After the long roll out down Glen Tromie I diverted to Kingussie for fish and chips. All of the park benches in the shade were full so I retired to the station concourse and sat under the canopy out of the sun but in a nice breeze. An oldish bloke turned up and started wandering round. I kept my eyes firmly fixed on my fish tea as he looked the kind to engage in random and obscure conversation. To prove my point, he started stamping his feet, clapping his hands and shooing the pigeons who were innocently and harmlessly roosting on the canopy roof beams. People at work say I'm weird for wanting to ride my bike long distances and sleep under a sheet of nylon. But if I'm weird that doesn't leave a word for the people I meet...

After a lengthy stay I departed back to near Ruthven barracks and another traverse of wades road to phones lodge, as per my May trip. In the now cool breeze it was fab, upper Speyside scenery all around.

Climbing away from phones lodge, quite a pull. A less TLS load out for this as I had my stove with me as well as the Deschutes rather than the flat tarp. This proved to be a very good move.

Dalwhinnie was shut and I couldn't find a tap at the garage so proceeded down Loch Ericht feeling a bit dry. Fortunately there are quite a few burns running off the hillside across the track. Whilst everything is incredibly dry and any drinking water res low, I was surprised that pretty much every burn was still running. I grabbed a bottle of incredibly clear water, drank it, filled up again and headed off into the cool evening.

The wind was dropping but Loch Pattack showed signs of a breeze. After negotiating the now very rickety suspension bridge over the Allt a Chaoil Reide I headed across the grass to the end of a small peninsular which looked like it might be breezy. It was but the instant it dropped the midges appeared. I actually got the tarp up OK but as I faffed around grabbing stuff and filtering water out of the loch for the evening the wind dropped completely and midges appeared in force.

First time I've seen ponies here. They won't be wild as such, probably managed by the estate.

Thanks goodness for head net and smidge. Eventually I was ready so wandered around for a bit and then made a dash for the tent. I got in largely midge free only to realise I'd forgotten to grab my phone. Cursing inwardly (and outwardly) I dived out, did a roll, grabbed the phone, rolled again, ran off flailing at the cloud of midges and then dived into the tent. This time a fair few were in with me so I spent some considerable time flailing at them until most were dead. My mat was covered in dead ones that had attached themselves to my arms and legs, only to expire in the coating of smidge....

A massive cloud of midges lurked outside the door, the sound of them pattering against the tarp sounding like rain. I was happy though as apart form an odd one I was midge free. I lay back to snack, read and drink some whisky as the sun set and night fell. Better yet I dropped off to sleep straight away and slept well until first light. One more snooze until the sun shining on the tarp woke me. Earlier the midges were absent but as the sun warmed things up and I started moving, back they came. I managed to finesses three stove boils for porridge and coffee by sticking a hand out of the door with the zips tight against my arm. My bladder was calling so my (1l) water bottle made the ultimate sacrifice...

Finally I had to get moving. Pack up as much as possible, slather on the smidge and go. A breeze was building but not enough. Probably my fastest pack up to date and it was with some considerable relief that I hared off on the track to Culra Lodge.

So next up was the trail round the side of Ben Alder, but North to South. It's actually pretty good this way and the bog hop seems to go easier this direction. The fact that it was largely dry helped and the swamp and massed wheel ruts from the Highland Trail group start were no more.

The boat house at the loch end provided a suitable second breakfast venue then it was off down the fast descent to Loch Rannoch. I'd vague plans to do some of the trails round Rannoch and Tummel forest but I had a sudden desire for some easy pedaling and an early finish so twiddled along the lochside road, over into Glen Errochty and back the way I'd come.

I suspect that's the last of the summer looking at the weather forecast but I'm pretty happy I've cashed in on it this year. September next and hopefully a bit cooler and with less bugs!
Last edited by fatbikephil on Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Thursday was another one of those it's going to be cooler outside than inside nights so inspired by V's recent reports from the Brecon Beacons it seemed like a good idea to go and try to find some of the things and places she mentioned plus there was a pub very close to my intended route . I arrived at Talybont on Usk just after 6 the temperature was still 31c and by the time I had got out of the woods on the Brynore tramway I had partially melted . A flat section of bridleway was a welcome relief it had been a while since I used this route across to the Trefil quarry it's still the tramway unfortunately a tree has come down taking the track and some of the cliff above with it .It is passable but with a bit of effort and a high level of tolerance to stinging nettles :smile: .
1st objective the Naughty Stone almost immediately I spotted a stone that had been placed so went and a look it had the names of the local councils on it so nothing naughty about that so further on up the quarry road to see if I could see anything else a big block appeared to the right nothing special about that but better have a look and it was a naughty stone a stone I have ridden past countless times over the years and never noticed .
ImagePXL_20220811_191012049.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I had seen very little water I was carrying quite a bit but could do with a top up Verena had mentioned a pub in Trefil village and as i was going that way to try find the Dukes table a cold beer and some food seemed like a great idea a gentle descent followed and I spotted the Dukes table so would have a proper look on the way back the beer was cold but had to settle for crisps as the kitchen was closed it was only 8.15 but I think that it may have been heat related . Refreshed and refilled it was back up the road still very warm to go and investigate I only had to go about 100 metre's slightly downhill from the road to the table but the difference in temperature was incredible I had ideas of stopping there but a bit obvious and not sure I would be warm enough .
ImagePXL_20220811_195526293.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
This was apparently a wine cooler there is another spring above dry at the moment
ImagePXL_20220811_195504893 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
A gentle spin back to the quarry and I found a nice place on a tump and not obviously on any of the motorbike tracks it also came with an old metal tank of some sort filled with rocks on a concrete base which was perfect for the stove in the morning .
ImagePXL_20220811_191043908 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I got comfortable ate some food and went to bed looking at the stars then the full moon started to appear above the horizoni had to dig out the sunglasses again as it was so bright a pretty good night's sleep and up before 6 for a quick coffee and some porridge .
ImagePXL_20220811_214838551 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
Its back quick runaway.
ImagePXL_20220812_050110381 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I set off across the once wheel grabbing dusty peaty bridleway to pick up the track that goes down to Pontsticill and turned onto the forestry road and followed it into the top where the railway ends I looked back at the reservoirs the top one had very little water in it .
ImagePXL_20220812_065211417.MP by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
It was only 7 so the way back on such a beautiful morning had to be via the Gap an hour later at the Gap I was glad to find any shade going i know it was early but I was surprised at how quiet it was only a couple of runner's , some snacks and away down into the valley to pick up the towpath back to Talybont for refreshments . I popped in to see the guy who runs the bike business to ask if he had any duct tape he said he had run out :smile:
8/8 for this year
Current run 44
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

fatbikephil wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:24 pm An oldish bloke turned up and started wandering round. I kept my eyes firmly fixed on my fish tea as he looked the kind to engage in random and obscure conversation. To prove my point, he started stamping his feet, clapping his hands....
I was expecting you to say when you looked up you realised it was Reg :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hah! :grin:

Kev - nice one, although I thought you were saving that one for Crimbo? Can't do it too many times I suppose :smile:

Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

"Kev - nice one, although I thought you were saving that one for Crimbo? Can't do it too many times I suppose :smile:"

Reg i will just have to endure it all again not to much of a hardship :smile:
RIP

Post by RIP »

:grin:

Verena

Post by Verena »

Raggedstone wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:33 pm "Kev - nice one, although I thought you were saving that one for Crimbo? Can't do it too many times I suppose :smile:"

Reg i will just have to endure it all again not to much of a hardship :smile:
O wow this looks amazing!!!!

It'll be very different in December ...
TrepidExplorer

Post by TrepidExplorer »

Went out after work with the boy Landslide. Met at Queen Victoria where I ate the first half of my dinner that I packed out of the office so I didn't need to carry a bunch of plastic into the peak.

The Bear was heard to mutter why he was out *with me* to which I suggested, because he was kind but actually he was just questioning why he was out pushing a bike up a steep hill in semi-darkness. Some habits die hard.

We wrestled past a bunch of dog walkers then stopped at the Norfolk arms for a post-dinner pint before crossing Houndkirk moor in semi-darkness.

Our chosen spot was well sheltered but midge-free too - weird. I'd packed lite again and shivered a lot this time but things stayed mostly dry and I dropped off eventually. The morning was much nicer, pottering about in my quilt.

A short trip to Longshaw sorted us out for second breakfast before the ride back over burbage.

After a day in Sheffield with ex-uni friends whose children are now visiting on open-days (they've no right!), we headed up to Eskdalemuir to volunteer for the London Edinburgh London audax. Some habits die hard. I can't resist them 24-hour shifts.

Other pics. https://trepidexplorer.blogspot.com/202 ... -2022.html

Trepid Explorer: Warmth with less bulk