Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rob S

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by Rob S »

In 2020 with all the crags out of bounds, my mate and I decided to bikepack the north east half of the Three Shires Way from Rushden. On Friday I thought I'd use the bank holiday to do the south west half and get my June BAM. I went on my own this time, but it wasn't a bad little trip.

Image20220604_101007 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
There were some nice woodland tracks.

Image20220604_094031 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
Crossing the Great Ouse at Lavendon mill.

Image20220604_090221 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
I love these old tracks that are sunk into the ground. Is this from the erosion of thousands of years of feet passing this way?

Image20220604_080448 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
Crossing under the M1.

Image20220603_203945 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
At the end (or is it the beginning?) of the Three Shires way.

Image20220603_211946 by Robert Smith, on Flickr
When I got to Tathall End it was 20:30, so I turned round and headed back a few KM as I had already seen this spot. Dinner was a pork pie and a Idahoan potato bag. I didn't sleep much as I was near a tree that squeaked loudly whenever the wind blew, if only it had done it when I first got there #-O .
In the morning it was back the way I came. 74KM total. 3/12
Boab

Post by Boab »

Headed out Thursday morning, got back this evening. Followed the 2021 F U T H E R East route, with a few embellishments. Like using the Chilshom Trail through Cambridge, sticking to The Peddars Way and looping out into the fens for a bit more dyke bashing, other wise I'd have been home for lunch. More later...

First bivy was just off NCR6:

Second bivy was just off The Peddars Way:

2022: 3 / 12
Total: 26
Streak: 3
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Nice reports there :-bd

What's an Idahoan potato bag please, sounds intriguing?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Verena wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:55 am Nice reports there :-bd

What's an Idahoan potato bag please, sounds intriguing?
Modern Smash
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Yes, like Smash. Tastes better than the stuff they used to serve at school dinners though. The herb and butter variety isn't bad at all.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:07 am

Yes in case you're wondering it is a Mazda 323...
Bravo, they have a special place in my heart and is the very reason I taught myself to weld! That's the cool pop up lights version (BG), I had/have a BJ (snigger), learnt to drive in one and was my first car.
https://www.club323f.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57651 (I was young and didn't know what I was doing, but that's how you learn...!)
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Zippy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:38 pm

Bravo, they have a special place in my heart and is the very reason I taught myself to weld! That's the cool pop up lights version (BG), I had/have a BJ (snigger), learnt to drive in one and was my first car.
https://www.club323f.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57651 (I was young and didn't know what I was doing, but that's how you learn...!)
Thanks Zippy. I was wondering why no one else could see what I could. Even drove round it once. Looked mint aswell.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Zippy wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:38 pm

Thanks Zippy. I was wondering why no one else could see what I could. Even drove round it once. Looked mint aswell.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A double hit and early in the month for once.

As part of our Scotland trip we managed four bike related bivies and four car assisted ones. Two of the bike bivvies were in May but the last two were in June. The first was up at Derry Lodge as part of The Deeside Trail ride.

The second was by Quoich Water. We struggled to find any flat ground so ended up pitching the tent on a gravel bed at the side of the river!

That's 6 out of 6 for Cath and me for 2022. I think that's actually the length of our current run as we missed some at the end of last year.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Another escapade on the Escapade in Sean's company.

For once, I avoided making Sean wait for me, and he rolled up just as I was adding a layer. As we rolled off on our route, we discussed the myriad failings of land access, freehub and cassette compatibility, and Stan's.
We rattled along back roads and past TV locations, wound our way through copses and rolled over the downs. Goldfinches flitted across our path, Ravens flapped lazily to their roosts, and rabbits lolloped across the meadows.
No ferries this time, but we found a station that would have Reg's esoteric infrastructure antennae twitching.*
Further sightseeing included a variety of pillboxes, and a round of tap roulette.** We also came across evidence of BB200: The Southern Edition.

We'd both eaten before heading out, but a pub stop offered the chance of puddings, which we eagerly embraced. Suitably refuelled and rehydrated, we headed for our camping spot for the evening. Sean's spring recces hadn't accounted for the explosion of undergrowth that had surged forth since, but we found a clearing and pitched tarps, both from Sean's MYOG Boutique. Camp set, we cracked open the last of our supplies and drank in beers and views across the bay before the intensifying precipitation sent us scurrying away into our bivvies.

Morning broke, and we packed up before setting off for a breakfast rendezvous with Mrs Bearlegged and the cubs. More railway lines*** sped us on our way, and after a short, sharp climb, we arrived almost bang on opening time. Another very pleasant night out with our Southern Correspondent.

3 beers each
1 pudding each
1 check shirt
2 Ravens

Pics here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CelgbHso6Et/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Celhj6II4Va/

2022 BAM 6/12
2022 total bivvies 7
Current streak (months) 43

*Non-historically-inclined readers may wish to skip the next post
**Will they work or not???
***Of the dismantled variety
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

THE RYDE & NEWPORT RAILWAY opened on 20th December 1875. Ashey Station consisted of a passing loop with the red brick station buildings on the up platform; these were quite grandiose for the rural location and are said to have been provided for the R&N chairman, George Young, who owned nearby West Ashey Farm and who hoped to develop the area for housing.

A siding from the down loop curved southwards, climbing to a quarry on the north face of Ashey Down. The quarry fell into disuse about the turn of the 20th century and the siding was cut back to just short of the road to West Ashey Farm.

In April 1882 a racecourse opened south of Ashey Station and included a grandstand adjacent to the quarry siding. Originally three meetings were held each year, soon reduced to two, in May and September. Up to three trains could be stabled on the siding and used as additional grandstands. About 1907 a kickback siding was laid behind the down platform. In 1926, when the new passing loop at Havenstreet was opened, Ashey became an unmanned halt and the down loop was taken out of use; the next year the quarry siding was lifted and the loop converted to a siding. Horse racing ceased after the grandstand was burnt down in 1930.

Ashey looking west in September 1920. The quarry siding diverges at the end of the left-hand platform. (Roger Silsbury collection)

Ashey station was proposed for closure in 1953, but reprieved as no alternative road services could be provided. Land movement in 1960 caused part of the platform to be removed and the running line to be realigned along the former down loop; a new short platform and waiting shelter opened on 18th June 1961 and remained in use until closure to passenger traffic on 21st February 1966.

The IWSR extended its line through Ashey in 1991 and on 2nd May 1993 reopened Ashey as a request halt, using the 1961-built platform.
Ashey from the west in 1949. The wagons stand on the former down line, now a siding, and the station is unmanned. The raised section of platform in the distance was built by the Southern Railway in 1927and suffered from land movement in the late 1950s. (IWSR Archive)

►The original station building is now a private residence - please respect the owner's privacy

The 'new' platform provided in 1961 viewed from the then derelict station house; a solitary passenger waits for the Newport-bound train. This platform survived closure and is now used by IWSR trains. (IWSR Archive)
SR

Post by SR »

June done Friday evening a nice pedal up the wye valley to a lovely spot over looking river. Up early to avoid the crowds at FOD. So nice quite trails looping though the woods before finally hitting the road to get home via a ice cream stop and a beer garden.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Ralph and myself accompanied Bearlegged, see his report above. A few pics for those not on the 'gram.

Fixture to mount a Hope Pro 2 9 speed freehub in the lathe to enable machining to accept a road 11 speed cassette. The cassette also needed some minor filing. There is an easier way to do this using Hope parts which I have but they're are on another bike and and I didn't want to dismantle that.

Ashey Station

Ralph having a lie-in

The only nettle free patches. The trees did provide shown shelter from the rain/wind. Apart from the noise of the rain waking me up occasionally I had a good nights sleep and remained dry. A warning to other Boners thinking of coming down, 2 pints in the Culver Inn was £9.80 :o Maybe I'm out of touch as not been out much in the last 2 years but I'm sure it didn't used to cost that?

Sean and Ralph, 6/6 and 29 in a row.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

A bit late with the post but May done on the Jennride I also did the second night of the WRT which would have been ok but due to security reasons ( mostly my security ) I couldn't post any pictures of the night . I had a great night slightly of the official Jennride route by Sprinkling Tarn it seemed a bit full at Styhead Tarn.
ImagePXL_20220528_203217782 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I wanted to take a different route to cover some ground I hadn't done before and as the weather was perfect it seemed a shame not to . I was woken by a little bit of rain around 5 it seems that it isn't possible for me to have a night in a bivvy bag without a bit of dampness the clouds around Great Gable looked very menacing so the only option was to roll over and pretend I hadn't seen them which worked a treat as when I woke up the sky was blue and the the sun was working it's way towards me in time for breakfast .
ImagePXL_20220529_042431252 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
ImagePXL_20220529_063329575 by Kevin Hawker, on Flickr
I was warned that taking a loaded bike down Rosset Gill wasn't the easiest option sage advice as it turned out ! After plenty of encouragement from the many walkers on the way up I arrived at Dungeon Gyll for coffee and a very challenging current slice .

5/5 for 2022
41 consecutive
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Why does Ralph need a mozzie net?"

"Why was Kev's slice challenging?"

All these questions and more will be answered in next week's thrilling episode....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Linkpin

Post by Linkpin »

Slept in a ditch* full of sheep poo**. 10/10 would sleep there again.

Foreboding moon rising as I settled in after some lovely, dusty double-track:

But survived the night unscathed so might not listen to the moon's negative vibes next time:

Need a thinner sleeping bag though - I was roasting like a sweaty potato by 6am! Fun rocky descent to finish the ride back to work.

6/6 this year, still loving it (and not got wet yet - are those two facts connected I wonder?).

*OK, the edge of a field
** Well, not completely full. And it was mostly dried.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:17 pm "Why does Ralph need a mozzie net?"
Because he forgot to bring his head net :lol:

Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

You don't have to be mad to do bivvy a month....
RIP

Post by RIP »

I've always thought Ralph to be the sanest out of all of us TBH.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

QED
edwellz

Post by edwellz »

Another post work loop for this month's BaM from Brecon along the canal to Llangynidr, over the mountain road into Ebbw Vale, before venturing into new terrain to ride up to Trefil Quarry. Was utterly deserted and bizarre but amazing to ride through - I though I was about to be ambushed by Tusken Raiders! A gorgeous descent down the Bridleway into Ponsticill, up over the Brecon Gap and back into town for supplies before crashing in a local woods. Woke up with the sun to be back in work for the early shift.

RIP

Post by RIP »

"QED" :smile:

Re spelling of bivvy/bivy/bivvie/bivi/whatever, anybody remember the Mivvi ice cream/lolly (*)? I think "Mivvi a Month" would be quite appealing. Certainly in this weather.

(*) it's similar to the Jaffa Cake Question isn't it (cake or biscuit...). Ice cream or lolly? Lolly outside, ice cream inside. I dunno. I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer authoritatively. As an amateur I'd say lolly I think.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

On a stick = lolly.
RIP

Post by RIP »

edwellz wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:10 pm back into town for supplies before crashing in a local woods.
If you bump into any strange women in said woods wielding a bivvy bag or hammock - Do Not Approach, Call The Relevant Authorities Immediately, Retire To A Safe Distance.

How're you doing by the way, V? :smile:

Nice route that! Jealous :smile:

RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearlegged wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:19 pm On a stick = lolly.
I always used to get depressed when it slid off the stick and dropped on the ground, due to its structural integrity breaking down as a result of licking it too slowly in hot weather (*).

(*) Anybody else perversely enjoy ice cream in cold weather, like me?