Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Linkpin

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by Linkpin »

I'm still in as managed a trip at the end of April in the Dales but haven't managed to sit down and write it up yet.

Hopefully will do so very soon.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Phew! Got out on last day. I caught a cold early in the month and opportunities did not come up in the middle. I was all lined up for the WRT but came down with an infection during the week (same as the one that derailed my November ride).
I was feeling a bit better by the weekend and the drugs were working but the cure requires me to be in easy reach of a toilet. My mum's house is currently vacant so I cycled over there, the long way round, and camped up. Although I carried a tarp and bivvy bag I set up an old tent earlier in the day with full on thermarest.

The birds woke me around 5am but I was tired and fell back to sleep. I thought it would be a good way to hear the dawn chorus. After a quick bowl of porridge and a coffee (made on my stove) I cycled home.

Had to go back later to collect tent and mat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdBbduMMpjY ... JmNzVkMjY=

#bam4/4
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Took me a few days to get round to writing up April’s BAM but, better late than never…

I drove up to Braemar last Wednesday and parked in the Linn o’ Dee car park before exploring some nearby trails with a view to getting in a bivvy trip up that way at some point later this year. I enjoyed a casual, unladen out and back spin westwards up the River Dee as far as the Red Bothy on the Geldie Burn; and then headed north to Derry Lodge and back. After taking some sustenance on board at the Bothy café in Braemar I drove to the car park at Invercauld Bridge car park. From there I crossed the Bridge of Dee into Balmoral Estate, past the castle then crossed the Dee again and headed north up and over the moors on bone dry 4 x 4 tracks to Loch Builg. Total for the day: just over 35 miles.

ImageRiver View from the Bridge of Dee by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageBalmoral Estate by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageBalmoral Castle by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I enjoyed a very pleasant night in amongst the ruins of Lochbuilg Lodge. There wasn’t much wind to speak of but it did turn very cold soon after my arrival to the point where frost was beginning to form on my bike, bivvy bag, etc. However, by the time I settled down to sleep a couple of hours or so later it had turned milder and there was no frost… which was nice.

ImageBuilg Lodge ruins by Jimmy G, on Flickr

In the morning I enjoyed my breakfast to the accompaniment of the birdsong being pumped out enthusiastically by a wide variety of our feathered friends. A real twitcher’s paradise up there and I only wish I was a bit better at putting names to the owners of the various sounds!

ImageBuilg Lodge ruins with Loch Builg behind by Jimmy G, on Flickr

Once packed up I headed along the glen and on to the stiff climb up the Bealach Dearg track, followed by some fun descending back to my start point at Invercauld, for a total of 9 miles.

ImageShooting Lodge by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageTame Red Grouse! by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageFun descent from away up there by Jimmy G, on Flickr

So that’s 4 of 12 this year and my 52nd consecutive BAM. I’m planning on getting my next BAM ticked off much earlier this month. In the next few days, hopefully.
Last edited by JimmyG on Mon May 09, 2022 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oh - you definitely have my attention on this one...

On your way to Loch Builg, what route did you opt for? I've a survey to complete from Inver - Ratlich - Carn Moine an Tighearn - Cullardoch - Loch Builg. I know the other route well enough as it's on the Cairngorms Loop.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

After crossing the Balmoral Estate bridge at Crathie, I turned left on to the A93 and, after about 350m, turned right on to the B976. It's then a steady road climb for a couple of kms before taking a left turn on to a forest track heading northeast up on to the moors. Eventually you'll descend to the River Gairn and follow that all the way to Loch Builg. Come to think of it, I could've saved you the trouble of reading that - here's the Komoot ride description and tracks. :smile:

https://www.komoot.com/smarttour/1373439
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Looks ace that, Jimmy. Ptarmigan feels like a big bonus, though I dunno if you get used to them up in the Highlands?
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Cheers mate. A really enjoyable one, made all the more so for being mostly in mild weather and on bone dry trails throughout. However, I have to now red-facedly confess that my wife, clearly much better versed in native bird species than me, has not long ago informed me it is in fact a red grouse. :oops: No excuses really because I have seen ptarmigan up on the Cairngorm tops in both their winter and summer plumage in the past.

Moving swiftly on... anyway, it was a pretty chilled bird. It didn't rear up and fly off as you'd expect and didn't even budge even when I stopped to take several pics. Diversionary tactics to protect its nest/its young I'm thinking? (Goes off to ask his wife and then goes off to immerse himself in her bird book). :lol:
Last edited by JimmyG on Mon May 02, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Great write-up & pics Jimmy, always enjoy your posts..

4/5 for me on the WRT with the usual suspects.

Great to see everyone :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Thanks Wotsits. Very kind of you! :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nipped in on the last day of April. WRT. Old railway line in Rhayader. No photo 'cos it was drizzly and 'orrible. Here's one from following night in pub garden though. Woken by a slug and a cuckoo. Good name for a pub that actually - the Slug and Cuckoo.

4/4, 4/12, 76/76

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Pub gardens in Wales are slightly less landscaped than on The Island :lol: That would be children's adventure playground or nearly trimmed bush over here.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
SR

Post by SR »

Got May done at WRT a lovely weekend riding some old favourites along with some tracks that were new to us.
Attachments
P5014456.JPG
P5014456.JPG (164.34 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Will post this up as my official BAM post. Forest of Glen Tanar after a fine days riding..... (Jimmy G beat me to a Deeside Bivvy!)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

April and May covered with the WRT.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7086249461

Distinct lack of prep and throwing things together last minute meant I had a couple of punctures that I probably wouldn't have had if I'd topped my stans up! And after a bit of a moment sunday morning where it was like I was moving but my body hadn't realised it was awake yet, I enjoyed myself. Need to get back on the bike and some miles in the legs - BAM helps, finding the love for it again :cool:

April: First Night next to some ruins near Nant Yr Arian, sheltered by ruins one side and the topography the other. Never ever been able to pitch my hexamid 100% perfect other than on completely flat ground. This was not, so a wall of rocks stopped me sliding anywhere, and the ground was a bit solid to get my pegs in, so tarp ties down with rocks! Worked well...I am considering a shelter with a bit more protection though. It rained overnight, everything mostly stayed dry, enough for a comfortable nights sleep anyway. Did discover I was sleeping on top of a natural groundwater drainage path - you couldn't tell when it was dry like when we pitched up!

May: Didn't know about this shelter until we stumbled across it. A well known seasoned Boner stop, quite nice to have level ground. Didn't get a photo of the bivvy out for some reason, but here's a photo airing/drying the kit first from the previous night! We were later joined by a few others we knew - completely by chance, and along different parts of the path were plenty of other Boners!

JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

fatbikephil wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:52 pm Will post this up as my official BAM post. Forest of Glen Tanar after a fine days riding..... (Jimmy G beat me to a Deeside Bivvy!)

:grin: As it happens, I'm just back from another Deeside BAM, at Loch Muick this time. Had to get May's in early due to other commitments later in the month. Report to follow just as soon as I get my act together.
NeilA

Post by NeilA »

BAM for April and May...
Sharon and I completed our WRT.
My third, Sharon's first.
Nothing epic as neither of us had done much offroad cycling or even that much on road for a long while.
The start was late this year (no complaints!) and the raffle prizegiving went on forever (fantastic).

Off we went, my target of 12 miles just right for a beaut of a camp spot. The route took us offroad soonish and up an awkward ascent, the top proving difficult to reach. We collaborated to manhandle the bikes up.

Soon after, our first beer to celebrate! And a startling discovery by Sharon. A lovely dipping pool way down at the base of a massive waterfall. We proceeded to Dylife, Glaslyn, The Boathouse then across a beautiful wild peat valley, with slow progress for miles.

Somewhere along our journey my rear brake rotor got mullered, bashed off its bolts, presumably while traversing awkward terrain. Removed the rotor and proceeded, aware that from now on I must take care with my speed, braking and body position on the bike.
Sharon was beginning to wane thanks to our previous epic bike lugging moments.
Then in the distance, a clump of trees bounded by stone walls came into view beneath the very highest Plynlymon.

On arrival we were greeted to silence, no bikers there. Werhoo. As Sharon was later to say a 5 star camping spot. We cracked some tinnies and got all the glamping accoutrements assembled and positioned. Followed by cooking. We both had purchased Summit to eat packet meals from Blacks. Mighty fine they were too. Some chocolate and port for Sharon, but only because she couldnt source Southern Comfort, and whisky for me. Early to sleep bag for a good nights sleep was reward for our efforts.

Reasonable lay in. Once up brewed tea/coffee. Talk moved to our promised commitment to cold water plunge in the gorgeous dipping pool some metres from us. Reluctantly I joined Sharon, given her greater discipline, although screams were heard across the valley during our immersion. We took turns to dip thus allowing a photo shoot. Neither of us lasted long, our rapid physiological change was very apparent. Once out we started to warm up, but of course dry clothes were necessary, layer after layer to stop the cold from within. Then brekkie. We took our time with everything, we were hidden from the whole world.

My quandery regarding routes centred on not erring too far south, east or west in case we were left with a mega trek on the last day. Consideration for my bike problem and possibly finding a bothy were factored in too. So we made up our gear, set off south for about six miles, mostly downhill, for supplies and a meal, plus to gain an opportunity to suss out the maps in the dry. It was raining through the morn.

We found the pub on the map, as planned, the George Borrows Hotel. The landlady was lovely and helpful. We sat by a freshly made fire, supped pints and ate a lovely lamb stew and chips. Chatted to several WRT guys who popped in for lunch. Great tales from them. We were sorely tempted with the prospect of pitching on the Hotel site that eve giving us loadsa drinking time. The Lonely hearts club were due to arrive en masse later to stay the night. There were twenty of them in total i believe, so the volunteer leaders had their hands full. After scouring the maps we decided our best option was to return to our (we hoped) 5 star place, allowing us a 12-15 mile journey back to the start tomorrow.

Our climb uphill was easy, so much scenery to enjoy. Back 'home' we set up camp somewhat quicker and smoother this time. Evening meal was more packet meals, a walk up a smaller hill to seek signal then back down for warming drinks and chocolate. Early to bed. We slept well again. I heard all sorts of animals that night, small to medium in size, although Sharon spotted what looked like fresh deer tracks the next morn while ascending for another signal search.

A beautiful morn, still and silent. Spotted another WRT group pitched not far away. Once again an early dip, even briefer than before.

Same morning make up ritual, then we were on our way, taking a different route to avoid the slow three or so miles of peat and single track. A stone track took us to a forest, and a bridleway turning right to the edge of trees. From there it was simple route finding, but thanks to a schoolboy error, or should i say a senior moment, i made a poor navigational decision taking us on a detour. Once realising the error we utilised OS Locate and Strava to rescue us from my madness and get back on track at the cost of two plus extra miles!! Getting lost was worth every penny though to view the LHC streaming across the plain below. Beautiful sight, what the WRT is all about. The Lonely Hearts Club were catching up. We set a target not to be caught by them, pitching ourselves as 'Hunted'. After a long ascent, coming down to a dammed pool, my rear tyre was losing air. What should've been a simple inner tube change turned into a fiasco, involving a schrader inner (doh packed the wrong inner, needed presta). Frantically i searched for the leak. Sharon suggested a puddle lol. Leak found on inner and patch applied. But it didnt last. So some hundreds of yards further i went through the same process this time fitting a proper patch. We were saved from the hunters who all but caught us, save for the many stragglers in their group!! A change of route enabled us to hit road which led downhill virtually all the way back to the start.

Greeted by the lovely Dee and Stuart, we were given our WRT t-shirts and supped tea and ate lemon drizzle cake.
The end.
At the 'start weigh in' my bike and luggage was 62.5 pounds (worse than last year, far worse than i said i would achieve, but used most of the stuff and it was quite cold). Sharon's was 58.5 but not including her rucksack, which she hid for fear of getting the wooden spoon!!
We cycled 40 plus miles.

We both left for home, happy with an enjoyable and memorable event. And very happy we experienced the wilds.
BTW my Hope Pro2 hub is no more. Most of the rotor bolt holes are chipped, stripped, partially or wholly. Was gonna bodge it but lets be sensible. Upgrade to Hope Pro 4 Hub soon. Ouch!!
Attachments
IMG_7708resize.JPG
IMG_7708resize.JPG (131.11 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
Sponsored by Alpkit
Top buyer from Joe's shop, Weirdos on Bikes
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

So, BaM 2022, 5/5 done on second night of WRT, in forestry at Siambr Trawsfynydd. A nice place to hammock in - sheltered and with running water close by. We were disturbed in the night by a *insert expletive* cuckoo that started making a row above our heads while it was still completely dark, but otherwise slept the sleep of ones who'd ridden/pushed/climbed much more than was comfortable in one day.

Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Boab

Post by Boab »

After the WRT, I've got the bug again, so I guess I'm going April to April...

April BaM was in the woods near Mynydd Bychan, as the weather has closed in and I didn't want to continue to the sheering shed at Bugeilyn with all the lightweight clothing I had on.

May BaM was up a small track, in the woods, off a byway, South of Pantglas. Turns out I thought I was somewhere else, which made for an entertaining morning being totally lost...

2022: 2 / 12
Total: 25
Streak: 2

https://www.strava.com/activities/7078216080
https://www.strava.com/activities/7078254926
https://www.strava.com/activities/7078269693
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Owing to various other commitments later in the month, I decided to get May’s BAM out of the way early. The Midge will be arriving soon enough so that was another very good reason for getting it done while the going is good! Incidentally, this was my second Deeside BAM in consecutive weeks and it’s an area I’ll definitely be returning to. I parked up in Ballater where there is plentiful free parking. From there I negotiated a shortish road section before following gravel tracks all the way up to Loch Muick. There was a chilly headwind most of the way but I was hoping the wooded area at my intended bivvy spot would provide adequate protection from it.

ImageLoch Muick boathouse by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I arrived at Glas-allt-Shiel Lodge near the western end of the loch around 5.30 pm. The building is owned by the Queen but visited infrequently by her or any of her offspring, I’m sure. Anyway, as one would expect, it is locked up and the windows are shuttered. However, towards the rear of the building is a bothy that is open for use all year round. Mostly (* but not always) preferring to get my BAM kicks outdoors, I had no intention of staying there but I did check it out. It’s a cosy little place with a wood burning stove, table, chairs and a bunk bed on the ground floor; plus the whole of the attic floor space to sleep on.

ImageGlas-Allt-Shiel Lodge by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageGlas-Allt-Shiel bothy by Jimmy G, on Flickr

I took my time selecting my bivvy spot and as I was scouting around amongst the trees nearby, I saw a couple of walkers striding purposefully towards the bothy. Sure enough, before long there was smoke billowing from the chimney and I'm sure they had a pleasant night… as did I in my sheltered spot between two fallen trees. However, whereas the two bothy dwellers would’ve soon been reduced to using head torches or candles to see in the bothy, I was able to enjoy the remaining daylight hours just soaking up the view down to the lochside, listening to the birdsong… and savouring a rather nice bottle of red wine.

The wind strength increased during the night and there were several brief rain showers but my shaped tarp from Joe’s Shop, while it wouldn’t win any prizes in a camouflage contest, did a sterling job of keeping me warm and dry, with the aid of the afore-mentioned fallen trees.

The morning dawned dull but dry and I eventually retraced my tracks mostly downhill to Ballater with a welcome tailwind to help things along.

So that’s 5 of 12 this year and my 53rd consecutive BAM.

* A possible venue for this year's Scottish Winter bivvy? Mind you, after a few drinks that steep staircase might be tricky to negotiate when nature inevitably calls during the night!
Last edited by JimmyG on Mon May 16, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good one Jimmy. Everytime I go riding round Deeside I always enjoy it. Re winter Bivvy, lets go with that idea - as if the bothy is full the woods will be an alternative. :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Last minute April one on WRT, just outside Rhayader, with the Lonely Hearts. Went for the "lean to" design, which was really snug and cosy, even nicer with the pitter patter of rain during the night.

Evidence of Reg's BAM right here, alongside - evening snack sharing sadly cut short due to the rain, but I did scrounge an apple off him, and o dear, had the rest of my malt loaf all to myself.... :grin:

Like the picture of my morning view.

Found a baby slug on my "pillow", then its mum or dad very nearby...

ImageIMG_20220501_064738 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220501_055852 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220501_063841 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220501_063510 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:04 pm Good one Jimmy. Everytime I go riding round Deeside I always enjoy it. Re winter Bivvy, lets go with that idea - as if the bothy is full the woods will be an alternative. :-bd
Yep Phil. It's a lovely part of the country right enough. :-bd
Linkpin

Post by Linkpin »

Some amazing looking spots on here lately! Think I need to get myself to Scotland...

I was near the Dales for work at the end of April so took the chance on 26th to head from Coniston Cold up through Kirby Malham and on up Malhamdale after a decent burger and pint of ale:

ImageIMG_20220426_192533 by David Pearson-Smith, on Flickr

Heading steeply up past Malham Cove and along some lovely stony and grassy tracks I felt the breeze pick up as I gained height so looked for some shelter, which I found behind a good strong dry stone wall.

The night was very cold and I was glad to have discovered recently how to use the shoulder baffle on my sleeping bag (and to have learned from last time that I needed to wear my down jacket as well). I slept soundly, waking once and being taken aback by how many stars there were in the clear sky - I knew this was a dark sky area but was still amazed at what a difference this made to what I could see.

When I woke I saw how cold it had been:

ImageIMG_20220427_060514 by David Pearson-Smith, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20220427_060620 by David Pearson-Smith, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20220427_061228 by David Pearson-Smith, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20220427_060854 by David Pearson-Smith, on Flickr

Still, it was an absolutely stunning morning and I spent a few minutes drinking it all in before heading back towards the car to get changed for work:

ImageIMG_20220427_060834 by David Pearson-Smith, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20220427_062330 by David Pearson-Smith, on Flickr

On the way back I found a tap to rinse my hair under to make myself look marginally less Neanderthal but misjudged my aim so ended up splitting open my forehead as I rinsed - comments below as to which is more important for work out of clean hair and a lack of blood wounds...

4/4 in 2022 - apologies for the lateness of this write-up. Am hoping May will be less busy somehow.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Exciting weekend of sorts. Decided to get train to Lincoln or Newark and head to Skeggy and get train home Sunday. I then found out there were no trains running on Sunday so decided to just go to Newark and then ride North and pick up a gravel route through Sherwood forest to Chesterfield published by the bike shop Velotastic. Arriving in Nottingham on Saturday lunchtime I discovered there were no trains to either Lincoln or Newark. Plan C was hastily arranged to get the train to Shirebrook and pick up the route there. I decided to go to follow the route to the Eastern point and then head to Newark which I decided was about 50km. If I had known it was actually 90km diversion I might not have bothered!

In Newark the road was closed so me and the bike ended up in minibus to go around Newark to get to the other side of the line. Ias expecting a footbridge on the station between platforms but sadly none available.

North of Newark, and East of the Trent, I am missing a bunch of VeloViewer tiles so my route was to collect a number of these. One interesting incident was I went down a bit of a track to a gate and I knew I was ut in the square but had some doubt. The gate had all sorts of signs on it including 'keep to the path' and indeed although a wide rack t is actually a public footpath. As I was only going maybe 30m and turning around I decided to just head through. As soon as I got through the gate I set off an alarm which said something like 'your details have been taken and the police are on their way' WTF? Anyway, I just turned around and hoped I had grabbed the tile (I had). Not quite sure what was going on seeing as it is a ROW when on foot.

Today's excitement was going down a track I knew I should not have been on to grab a tile in a notorious area with camera's everywhere. if the cop's come knocking on my door I won't know which offence they want me to help them with there enquiries.

I used my tarp for the first time as well using one of Stuart's suggestions from an old blog post. It stayed up! It is a little low and I need to get a new pole for it I think.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdTAOhNM9cZ/

The pic of the bike against the gate shows the glamour in chasing VV tiles and where it can take you.

5/12 bam
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bliss.

Headed out after nine, still light, still warm, just down the road, as to be honest I CBA to go for an actual bike ride, went more for a chilled out night out by myself....

Lovely spot I had checked out before when dog walking, in what we call "the cow field". Did a lap of the whole thing first just to be sure.

Slept really well in my hammock.

Got rumbled by a dog at 6am who barked at me - owner seemed oblivious, too busy looking at her phone :roll:

Coffee in bed, then sat by the river for a bit watching the wildlife, then home for brekkie at seven.

ImageIMG_20220510_060533 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20220510_060711 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

That's May done nice and early.

5/12