Bivvy a month 2022

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Lazarus

Re: Bivvy a month 2022

Post by Lazarus »

My wet kit was once frozen wet kit in the morning - that was spectacularily unpleasant and now i sleep with them, in a dry bag, in the bag with me

Also agree BAM is good for seeing how you would cope /what you would do in a wet night but safe in the knowledge you can get back home if it goes horribly wrong.
I dont ever personally sleep in wet clothes as I find i dont really sleep and then riding the next day is just horrible as I am tired
slarge

Post by slarge »

Got my March bivvy in last night. Rode down to Bredon Hill past Evesham. Had chips on the way, which were more than welcome. Decided to gave a headwind ride out and hopefully tailwind home, which ended up working a treat (often the wind changes direction in the night!). Pitched up in 30 minutes, which with the fiddley little tent was quite good, in a hollow on the summit of the hill - next to elephant rock - which does look just like an elephant. Had a breezy night overlooking the villages below, with almost a lie in this morning. Got packed up in 30 minutes too, which was OK, followed by a meandering ride home with a breakfast stop in Studley. About 130km over 2 short days, so quite happy.
Gear checks for the TD continue, and must find that creak from the drivetrain - tis doing my nut.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bloody hell, it does too!

May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Must be an old trunk road.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Has anyone found any decent bivy spots near to Chester..?
RIP

Post by RIP »

jonny wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:59 pm Has anyone found any decent bivy spots near to Chester..?
Race course nice and flat and grassy :smile: . Bit flood prone though :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jonny

Post by jonny »

Excuse my ignorance but are you allowed to camp there over night without permission or would I have to get a pass?

Thanks
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

jonny wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:04 pm Excuse my ignorance but are you allowed to camp there over night without permission or would I have to get a pass?

Thanks
Excuse Reg's sarcasm, it's not always obvious*. I wouldn't advise camping on a race course.

* It is part of what makes this place so special :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Raggedstone

Post by Raggedstone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:18 pm Bloody hell, it does too!

It looks like there has been a major geological upheaval in the Brecon area since Saturday !
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:42 pm
jonny wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:04 pm Excuse my ignorance but are you allowed to camp there over night without permission or would I have to get a pass?

Thanks
Excuse Reg's sarcasm, it's not always obvious*. I wouldn't advise camping on a race course.

* It is part of what makes this place so special :grin:
More sort of a pathetic attempt at humour rather than sarcasm :smile: .

Not very promising close to the city, reckon I'd be on a train to Chirk or along the N Wales coast and finding some hidey-hole around there. FrogAtTheFarriers is our Cheshire correspondent though, he might be along soon :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Looking at the map it's not very promising close to Chester but 20 miles SW is Clocaenog Forest and there are hills/mountains/smaller woods before that. Depends on how far you want to ride.

Looking for bivi spots in advance is always harder than just rocking up at a suitable location found by chance, especially near home. When I'm doing my BAMs on the Island I'm looking at the map and google earth and worrying how close the nearest house/path/road etc. is. When I rode the Tour of The Cotswolds last year, Andy and myself would just keep and eye out when we thought it was time to stop and had no real issues finding suitable spots without any pre-planning.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Thanks
Probably best to ask them, get it straight from the horse's mouth.

*I'm not helping, am I?
RIP

Post by RIP »

:roll: :-bd

jonny

Post by jonny »

Hahaha thankyou alll seems a right maaad bunch…oohhh looord 🥳
RIP

Post by RIP »

jonny wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:31 pm Hahaha thankyou alll seems a right maaad bunch…oohhh looord 🥳
Welcome aboard Jonny, hope you manage to find a spot somewhere around Chester. On the way somewhere? Just out for a couple of days riding? Surprising what you can come across just by turning up - old sheds, shelters, bird hides etc etc. Obviously the game involves not breaking or damaging anything at all to get in, lifting a latch or turning a door knob is pretty much the limit and some might frown even at that, and leaving no trace of your presence when you depart.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonny

Post by jonny »

My question is how do you all keep your bikes safe when bivving?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

jonny wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:28 pm My question is how do you all keep your bikes safe when bivving?
That reminds me. Best grab some of the reusable zipties. Knew I'd forgotten summat.

I usually just tie it and then read Bismillah Tawaqqaltu Alallah (in the name of God, I trust in God) as per the advice given us lot (the muzlamics) by our prophet Muhammed sallalahualayhiwasallam (in this case the example was a camel).

Sorry, I know that's not much help to you maybe (or maybe it is). The zipties are usually to tie the bike to some form of pillar whilst popping into the shops (but same difference in what I read/do).

Anyway, in other news. I have my bike ready (pic coming soon) for a post ride daylight bivy. Might even open a new thread (pls advise Reg) as I plan on doing a commute-BAM... or Working-BAM. CBAM OR WBAM. Not sure which sounds lovelier :-bd

[edit: for completeness... it's actually Bismillah Tawaqqal-thu aAlallah Lahau la Walaa Quwwatha Illah Billah/ in the name of God, I trust in God, There is no power or might but God].
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

jonny wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:28 pm My question is how do you all keep your bikes safe when bivving?
My stock answer is "if you are worried about your bike being stolen then you've bivvied in the wrong place".
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Hopefully you'll be biving somewhere where no-one will come past which means there's nobody to steal your bike.

If you're in a bivi bag it's less of a worry as you can see your bike every time you wake up. I've never locked mine. Bike thieves tend to hang out at train station bike racks and the like where they can take their pick. They don't wander around the countryside on the off chance they come across a bike next to a sleeping bloke.

If that's not reassuring enough then simply tie a length of string round your nuts and attach the other end to the bike. If somebody takes the bike not only will you wake up but the scream will scare them off :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, I think it's a concern or at least a thought many people have when they begin, yet in reality is never actually an issue.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:34 pm
My stock answer is "if you are worried about your bike being stolen then you've bivvied in the wrong place".
It can be an issue if you are bivvying with mates that have a certain sense of humour. In fact I heard a tale of a guy who woke up to find his bike and mates gone from the site, fortunately not too far and much mirth ensued....
slarge

Post by slarge »

Just remember that you are the maddest person out there
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

RIP wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:01 pm Not very promising close to the city, reckon I'd be on a train to Chirk or along the N Wales coast and finding some hidey-hole around there. FrogAtTheFarriers is our Cheshire correspondent though, he might be along soon :smile: .
Hi Jonny. Welcome. :-bd Reg gives me more credit than I deserve but there are four places near Chester that I’ve used for BaMs. They’re not particularly close, though. The nearest is 14k as the crow flies, the furthest is 20k.

I can PM you details if you like.

Lu
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

March BaM boxed off last night :-bd

10km loaded commute under the best morning sky of 2022

Shift at work followed by a good 60ish Km loop around some of my favorite trails south of Huddersfield

Found a decent water source and filtered enough for cooking/drinking

Then found an almost cozy, almost flattish spot amongst some pines

Ate well, enjoyed the Glenmorangie and slept better than usual

4:45 alarm for a brew, porridge and ready to roll. 18Km mostly downhill ride back to work with a friendly barn owl for company

Second breakfast at work

Just the ride home to tap out now and it will have been another nice outing :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearlegged wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:34 pm

Thanks
Probably best to ask them, get it straight from the horse's mouth.

*I'm not helping, am I?
Blimey, you're on fire this week aren't you :lol: - trunk road, horse's mouth :lol: