Scottish Winter Bivvy

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Scottish Winter Bivvy

Post by fatbikephil »

That was a cracker, Ray you would be proud!
So the destination was 'somewhere in the hills above Dunkeld' with Jimmy G, Dave (Northwind) and Dave's mate Morne, as well as my good self, confirmed as show ups. I lazed around all day looking at the varying levels of drizzle outside before eventually loading up and heading up the road just after 2. On arrival a heavy rain shower came on so I sat it out whilst listening to 'Singing in the Rain' on the radio. When Herb Brown wrote this music, he clearly hadn't experienced slashing rain at 3 degrees C..... Eventually it passed through and off I went into the murk....

Dull blurred shot (again!) but very true to life.

As I climbed up I became increasingly aware of much ice on the track; of the 'suicider' variety that lead to many a slither and a couple of bits that had to be walked.
Once passed Loch Ordie the track deteriorated just as full dark fell. No messing, on with the Maxx D, at Maxx, and try to pick my way round the worst of the puddles as well as avoiding the lethal ice. I'd noted a possible variation to the route which I would check out when I got there. Later the track deteriorated horribly into a mess of cow hoof prints, mostly frozen solid thank goodness, but anywhere sheltered and it was rather gungy. On checking the GPS, I discovered I had already made the turn to the alternate trail and was a few hundred meters up it. I should have turned back but, as usual, figured that going on would be a far better bet, despite endless experiences of this manifestly not being the case.

It got progressively worse and I was struggling to get round (or through) some bits. At least my sense of humour wasn't suffering too much. Eventually the track rose out of the dip it had been following and the surface improved immediately. Soon enough it joined another trail and off I went with a grin as the ground was frozen and I was now riding in and out of snow. Behind I caught the flash of a light which looked like it was a bike coming up the trail I should have been on. At another turning I waited, thinking it would be Jimmy, but it never appeared. Odd. In fact I was following a fat bike tyre print which I figured would be Jimmy so goodness knows who this light was. After one rather dodgy bog crossing I picked up a rougher way and made good progress to the bothy. A light was shining in the window and Jimmy himself came out to greet me. The fire was on and the place lovely and warm, with only us in residence - top stuff!

On with the bothy TV.

We chatted, ate and drank, but there was no sign of Dave and his mate. No point worrying as there was BA we could do about it so we figured they'd had a problem and had to cancel or turn back. Then at 9.30 they appeared looking somewhat bedraggled. Morne's back brake had croaked and a fall had knackered his shifter.... They soon got installed and we talked and drank to the wee small hours.

Breakfast in progress

Morning view, most pleasant.

Jimmy was for lazing around in the bothy for a bit before heading back the way he'd come up. Dave and Morne were thinking of heading up to Glen Loch and over the Cairngorms Loop route to Blair Atholl but Manny's lack of brake and possible snow levels made this a less appealing option. I'd figured on heading north for a bit then picking up the Cateran Trail, following this south and then heading back to Dunkeld via various back roads. Dave and Morne figured this was a better bet for them so off we went through more snow, ice and swamp. After turning off the main trail, the ground was dryer but the snow levels were going up. Obviously the fat bike ploughed through it all effortlessly!

Dave on the snowy trail.

The Cateran Trail was a beaut - a nice mix of made path, grassy tracks and the odd farm / house access track; heading steadily down Strath Ardle. We had one close shave getting round fallen trees but then got snookered by a big cluster of them. We could have battled round them but the risk of there being more made this a highly dubious prospect. So back we went and across the river onto the main road. Fortunately from Bridge of Cally the Cateran Trail was clear so no A93 schlepping required. Instead we schlepped along a somewhat soggy trail over the moor. Then some nice wee back roads past lochs Marlie, Clunie and Lowes finishing with a final trail to Dunkeld.

So a great weekend with some snow / ice and bog tastic riding!
Last edited by fatbikephil on Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Re: Scottish Winter Bivvy

Post by RIP »

Textbook Winter Bivvy shenanigans there gents :-bd . Liked that first 'murky' photo.

We can only assume that the Welsh contingent are now irretrievably and terminally bog-bound somewhere in the wastes of Claerwen :???: :o :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:

Annoyingly the Peak District looks to be completely ice- and rain-free this Friday :sad: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Looks good that Phil, shame i couldn't make it.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Thanks Phil for your summary of what was a memorable winter bivvy. Definitely a great choice of venue and it was well worth the slog up there through the remnants of the snow, the numerous boggy sections and last but definitely not least, the treacherous ice patches.

Sounds like you guys had an interesting and challenging ride back to Dunkeld. I was feeling… ahem… a little fragile after the previous night and the more direct route back the way I’d come up was plenty for me. :roll:

I won't attempt to add to what Phil has so eloquently written so I’ll just stick up some random pics to hopefully give a feel for the area, etc.

ImageThe Grinch in pre-mud mode by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageBoat shed at Mill Dam by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageDowally Loch looking south by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageRuined Cottage on the way in by Jimmy G, on Flickr

ImageApproaching Loch Ordie on the way out by Jimmy G, on Flickr

On reaching Loch Ordie on the way out I came across a strange fallen tree. Strange in that it had three mature trees sprouting from its trunk. :-bd

ImageBizarre fallen tree by Jimmy G, on Flickr

So that's 12/12 for 2021 and 48 consecutive BAMs. Looking forward to more of the same next month.
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thanks Phil and Jimmy for your company again. It's a nice to know when you're toiling up through the slush, bogs and fallen trees a bit later than planned that there's probably friends waiting, and seeing the candles in window from a ways off kept us going.

I don't have much to add to Phil's great words and pictures either.

Me and Morne (don't worry Phil, I'm sure he's had much worse than Manny!) were keen to get a bit more riding in to make the longer drive from Tyneside worthwhile, so we arrived in Dunkeld about lunchtime aiming to do an unloaded 16 mile loop before heading up to the bothy. Although the rain was forecast to stop in the afternoon, it only got worse as we drove up the A9, so we procrastinated over some lunch in Dunkeld. When we'd finished, the rain had turned back to drizzle so we set off into the mist. A landslip blocked our planned route (we ignored the signs and dragged our bikes over some fallen trees and sketchy slopes, but were thwarted by a firmly fenced off bridge over a gorge) so we were forced into a short road diversion before climbing over moorland to Glen Garr. This is probably an attractive route in decent weather, but the mist well and truly prevented anything that might be described as a view. Besides, the fading daylight and flat light kept our attention firmly on the singletrack as we made our way along the edge of the steep gorge at the heart of the glen.

The route was marred by several large fields that had been completely churned up by cattle (and I mean completely, the whole area was unrideable despite being flat, not just around the gates/feeders). Thankfully, stamping every blade of grass out of existence and shitting on afterwards seemed to have tired the herd out and they just eyed us warily as we skirted them nervously (Morne's a vet and used to dealing with horses, so I'm usually less worried around cattle when I'm with him, and he usually takes the piss out of my cautious approaches, but even he seemed a little worried). A mix of road-bashing to Bankfoot, tracks and forest paths brought us back to Dunkeld. A good warm-up.

This sums up the vibe pretty well:

We visited the Co-op, and the chip shop (recommended, though I passed up the Christmas special footlong battered pig-in-blanket, as well as deep-fried sprouts and battered sweet of the week: mince pie) and went back to the car to load up. By this time the weather was clearing a little - still very misty, but not actively drizzling, and the wind was still mercifully non-existent.

The going was initially good as we headed up into the forest. We spotted this which clearly can't be blamed on the storm - definitely beavers at work.

As we got further up, there was more and more snow and ice from earlier in the week which had only partially melted - the worst of conditions. This made some bits unpleasantly boggy, and others downright treacherous. At some point Morne's rear brake had completely failed, which was compounded when he hit some unanticipated ice on a short descent and broke his shifter, confining him to a single gear. Our lights were mainly illuminating the heavy mist in front of our faces, which wasn't helping, and the bags of coal in my fork cages weren't helping with my ability to steer the bike where I wanted it to go. The conditions only got worse the closer we got to the bothy - I think the last 2 miles took us about 45 minutes. All soon forgotten in the warmth of the bothy with food, drink, and chat.

As Phil has said, our plans for Sunday were a bit more ambitious, and the weather was much clearer - at least higher up - but with the combination of the mechanical issues, me feeling a bit under the weather from dehydration, the prevailing trail conditions, and not the earliest start, we accompanied Phil down Strath Ardle instead - a good decision we both decided afterwards.

A few pictures from my phone as we headed over to Strath Ardle. Not the greatest photos but there were lovely views with the mist clinging to the lower slopes.

Another top Winter Bivvy weekend :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

By the way, I saw on Instagram that Ed Wolstenholme had posted about going the opposite way up the same bit of the Cateran Trail as we went down on Sunday, but somehow got through the forest :o
https://www.instagram.com/gutsibikes/p/ ... =copy_link
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers for the pics Jimmy and Dave. :-bd Apologies for spelling Morne's name wrong, now corrected :grin:
Good going getting past that lot - I think we could have got round on that track you were looking at Dave but I'm happy with our decision!
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Another entertaining write-up there Dave. :-bd Certainly puts my paltry few lines to shame. :grin: Hope to see you all again next year!
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Looks fun (if T2 at times). Having suggested I might make it, I ended up in Galloway, as there were three of us. Friday was nice weather, but thwarted a bit by so many windblown trees in the east side of Dalbeattie Wood. It's easy to see how some folk would be stuck to the point of calling for help - very disorienting when so many trees have been shuffled and it goes dark. My mate found that bar mounted dynamo lights aren't so good for 'arboreal devastation battling' - luckily I'd packed a spare head torch. Saturday was very wet, Sunday better. We were soft and had heating, electric light and hot water...... All three vowed to make 2022 our first BAM year. Time will tell.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Looks like fun guys - sorry I wasn't able to join you all this year - I still have fond memories of the last one in 2019 and the moonlight on the snow on the journey up.

There was a very slim chance I was going to be able to join you this year but Joe tested positive for Covid which put the kybosh on a lot of things. Thankfully the follow-up test was negative.

Hope to catch up with some of you on a trail somewhere next year.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Borderer wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:02 pm Hope to catch up with some of you on a trail somewhere next year.
:-bd Hope so too Bridget