Escape Goat

Re: BB200

Post by Escape Goat »

Oh yeah...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Escape Goat wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:00 pm 2021

Also, what's going on with the rear wheel? It looks oval ha!
Comparison...

...and I went a bit OTT with food and warm clothes (as getting too cold was a major problem in 2020).
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:06 am ^ Nice write up, I enjoyed that, all the 'fun' of the event without having to do it :lol:
Ian wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:21 am Anyway, who was the dude from the IoW, if it wasn't Sean?
I'm wondering this as well. At the very least I owe him an apology that people thought he was me :lol: It's quite a small Island so there's a reasonable chance I know him.
You should do a write up of his ride :lol: surely you have enough info from the amount of BBers that met you that day :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

What you carrying out of curiousity mate ?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Escape Goat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:56 am What you carrying out of curiousity mate ?
Bivi, sleeping bag, puffy jacket, waterproof jacket, leg warmers, warm gloves, wool hat, wool socks, two tubes, pump, about a million patches, quicklinks / multitool etc.

...and 1.8kg of food. :lol:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

FFS, why is mine so bloody heavy. I carried basically that but with a core change incase I got cold.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'd wager your sleeping bag / bivi was a lot heavier than mine. Mine might keep me alive, barely... because I'm only stopping if I've hurt myself.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Richard G wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:33 pm I'd wager your sleeping bag / bivi was a lot heavier than mine. Mine might keep me alive, barely... because I'm only stopping if I've hurt myself.
This. My seatpack containing life-saving sleeping bag, bivvy bag and jacket was 1.2kg. Plans A, B, C...all involved not opening my seatpack.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Here's my tale from the BB300

I rolled out of the car park at 7:25 into a stiffer wind than I was hoping for and a persistent drizzle that I was sure wasn’t forecast until at least the afternoon. Starting the BB300 in my waterproofs wasn’t part of my plan as such, but it was the same for everyone, so best not let it bother me and get on with the route. I passed a few riders along the road to Pennant - delighting in how free rolling my WTB Raddlers were on tarmac.

I caught another couple of riders on approach to the first off road bit after Pennant and commenced the push up onto the ridge. Along the double track on the top I caught Bob, held a gate for him and another rider and then minced down the new shaley descent to the road, being careful not to rip a tyre within the first 10 miles.

On the road I re-passed Bob and the other chap and then got my head down into the wind and drizzle and on to Hafren. I’m familiar with these trails already, so navigation through here was easy. I met up with Darren at this point, where my knowledge was clearly worth a few extra minutes over missing a turn and having to backtrack. Darren and I chatted for a bit, and then missed a turn while talking and not paying attention. He was handy on the descents while I took a more damage-limitation approach, though gaining confidence in the tyres all the time.

On the road again and on to Llani, straight through and on the road out. The rain had eased off so I packed my jacket away and took my water proof shorts off. Within minutes it was raining again, but I stuck it out. The wind was strong enough to dry me faster than the rain was wetting me, and the extra air flow was a lot more comfortable.

Beyond Llandinam, I caught and passed another rider with a brief exchange of pleasantries. The track kicked up a fair bit, but I dug in and got out of the saddle, leaned forward and leaned forward some more. The hill got steeper and seemed to keep going and I eventually gave in. Too many km’s to go to be trying to ride everything. Having passed a few people on the way, I was now down to only one set of tyre tracks before me so I kept on the pace try and catch them (you’d think I’d know better by now). The next while was uneventful really. The rain stayed off and the navigation straight forward. As I popped out of the forest below ByS, I saw my quarry ahead, pushing through the field. I stopped by the cafe only to find they hadn’t stopped. I’ll catch them up in a bit, I thought, as I had a piece of cake and a coffee. It had been almost exactly 4 hours to this point, so I was pretty pleased with the pace. In my mind I thought if the route stays like this a sub-24 hour 300 would be do-able. The fact that Steve Large hadn’t gone under 24 hours a few weeks before in better conditions didn’t seem to occur to me.

It took me the best part of 3 hours to make up the 15 mins of so on the rider I’d seen at ByS. That rider was Huw, doing his first BB200 and making a rather decent job of it (he was first back, just after midnight). We rode for a good while over the TransCambrian section between Moelfre and Beacon Hill sharing different tales of past exploits. Huw was pretty handy on the descents and I eventually lost him at Bucknell after the long section of bone-shaking (on 40C tyres) double track through the woods. The intricate gully section was fun though. By the time I reached the ford, Huw had filled his bottles and was off up the hill into the fading light. I sat down for some food, which I’d somewhat neglected since ByS.

The section between Bucknell and Clun was the first real low point for me. Stuff too steep to ride, dark, raining again (waterproofs back on). I was glad to get to Clun. The edges of my sub-24 hour ride were peeling away. Despite a frame bag full of food, I wasn’t finding much of it palatable. Browsing the shelves of the Spar, I came away with a cheese and bacon pastry wrap, crisps, Malteasers, kit cat, a coffee, one of those yoghurt / cereal pots and a bottle of water. I sat in a lit doorway down the road from the pub, out of the wind and rain and recomposed myself. I took a good half hour here (and went back for another coffee), before heading off into Colstey Wood. This next section through to Plowden seemed to take ages. 15km and 90 mins…

At the grid in Plowden where the track over the Long Mynd starts, I sat down for more food. It was 9pm. About half way (155km in 13.5 hours). Sub-24 plans had blown away in the wind by now. Another long push ahead to gain the upper reaches of the Long Mynd lay ahead, but the going underfoot was easy, just too steep for me to ride (38t chainring, 36t sprocket). The rain had passed and it was now a starry night, with Orion rising in the east. Fireworks over Bishops Castle visible in the far distance in the West. Pole Bank summit cleared, I embarked on the long descent north and then what became more of a slog than I was expecting down Portway. Lanes took me straight into the Stiperstones section and anther thankfully shorter push over the top. It was pushing midnight now and the last section had been really exposed and the wind that was both chilling and tiresome to fight against. I came to Shelve and started looking for somewhere to shelter for some food. Options were limited by the time I was at the other end of the village. I almost dismissed the church, but decided to double back and see what the porch was like. Maybe it would be out of the wind. It was, it had a door which was unlocked, and a bench inside. I sat and forced some food down before deciding that the porch was of sufficient proportions to put my mat and bag down for some sleep. It was 12:30am. I set the alarm for 4:30.

It took about 30 mins to haul my backside out of my sleeping bag, eat some food and pack up my gear. Just as I left the church I see a cyclist coming up the road. It was Kenny from Alpkit. We swapped notes on the route, sleep strategies, the weather and gear ratios, before I pulled away on a tarmac section that favoured narrow tyres and gears over larger tyres and a 34/20 ratio. I had originally planned to get to Welshpool in one go, but after getting there at 7am after a mix of enjoyable but still challenging trails, I was glad I didn’t try. Shelve porch was definitely the right decision as I felt much refreshed.

I decided to forego the MacDonalds breakfast at the north end of town and turned south onto the canal. The Kerry Ridgeway beckoned, but the small matter of a massive climb before I had the questionable pleasure of an exposed trail into a headwind. But, on the bright side - literally - the sun was out. I wouldn’t say it was warm though as the wind was still very keen. I hadn’t seen anyone since Kenny, despite being back to following another set of tyres. Maybe Bob had ridden through the night? The prospect of actually catching someone spurred me on a bit, but once on the Ridgeway proper, you could see a long way on both directions and there was not a soul in sight.

Off the Ridgeway, just the wind farm section then it was virtually all road. I saw another rider up ahead, but as I got closer it wasn’t Bob but Andy. He was pushing having snapped the pedal from his crank on the climb up to the ridgeway. We chatted for a few minutes before I pulled away. Feeling that the end was in reach now (50km to go) I rode with more purpose and a bit more of a kick in my pedal stroke. I felt a completely different rider to the one sat in the doorway in Clun, or even the one who had slogged his way along the Ridgeway into the wind. A steep gravelly descent done, one steep climb that was over with faster than I expected and I was descending to Caersws. I stopped at the cafe by the bridge and had a jacket potato and coffee - enough to give me the final kick over the hill out of Llawr-y-glyn.

I rode the bottom part of that climb, but as I rounded the corner passed the barrier, my chimp gave me a dig in the ribs and said that was enough. I pushed a bit until the road opens out again before the tight bend. Above me, I saw another rider - Alan Parkinson - and I picked up my pace once more to catch him. We enjoyed some good chat through the end of the forest section, where Alan stopped to put some air in his tyres. I flew down the final descent and dug deep to empty the tank on the final road section. Arriving at the school in 32 hours 24 mins after setting out. I picked up my orange badge - my first one - to complete the set.

Last edited by Ian on Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Good collection of badges that, including the very rare 'gold' one? Was that for 3 blacks?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Rumps

Post by Rumps »

As enjoyable a ride as always. No vertical bogs ( 2013?)-well maybe one -no chest high tussocks ( 2014) -no frost or snow smattered hills ( 2014 again) and no raging torrents to cross ( 2019)-what on earth could go wrong.........?
Our plan -we being the "3 London Fellows " referred to by Mac- had a definite plan to ride through the night without a bivvy as two of us did not yet have the dark coloured BB momento. I fear that we might have confessed that to Mac-a top chap- in the bar of the wonderfully named Aleppo Inn on the Friday night. And we all know what pride comes before ......

Started at 8.20 am and who could have imagined it would be wet despite the forecast to the contrary...? Stu had yet again shown his skills in laying on a new route in a different area for us . Seemed to be a lot of climbing -including those nasty little 20% + tarmac banks -but all went fine and we made good progress to the Community Cafe. What a great spot that was -and we each made sure to show our appreciation to the lovely ladies manning the fort. And it was there we finally caught up with Mac ( did I mention what a top chap he is ?) who had clearly been very modest about his speed over a beer in the Aleppo. I always find -this being I think my 5th BB- that during the last hour or two of daylight I am slightly dreading the dark -but then as soon as it is dark -you get used to it and it is fine. I really enjoy the riding through the night-seeing the odd light from another rider in the distance , it could be 3 hundred yards away or a mile , they could be 3 or 43 minutes ahead -it is impossible to know-always gives me a small thrill.

At this stage we caught up again with Mac and a couple of others and we rode together for a while along a lovely stretch of flat , clipped grass on top of a long ridge -with a strong tailwind. It was almost like riding on the South Downs Way.
I cannot name anywhere as I never have the faintest idea where I am -which is perhaps why I always make sure that as well as the Wahoo which I primarily use , with a battery pack ready for when it runs out of juice -I also have the route on an etrex just in case.
Memorable moments , which I can mention ..., include;

Paul riding straight through one of the only two rivers I recall -at Hafren forest- and falling in right in the middle .Matt and I enjoyed that immensely once we saw he was ok. We could not laugh immediately as in 2019 when Paul and I rode together Paul had a fall during the night and broke a couple of ribs -but being made of stern stuff and a two times TCR finisher - he simply got back on the bike and carried on. We laughed even more when we went round the corner and crossed over the bridge........
That bastard of a push up the muddy single track ( is that what others called Bushwacker corner?)-especially as the wahoo was not clear it was the right path.
The track by the deer fence which even when flat could not be ridden by us -due to the motorbike channels -which I know others have commented on. The only bit that made me swear on the whole ride.
Matt ( who tells us he only ever falls on wet chalk ) falling on a bit of muddy grass and bending his rear mech so that the jockey wheel was in the cassette and expertly bending it clear again .
That single track down the leaf filled gully in the dark.
The Kerry Ridgeway-new to us and though into the head wind ,was really enjoyable.
Offa's Dyke -which again was new to us and I had wanted to see for ages.

One of our number ran out of puff -in a major way at about 10pm with about 6 hours left to go - which meant that a proper sleep was needed as to carry on would not have been sensible or safe . So that was the black badge gone for another year. * But on the upside it did mean we could see the scenery in all of its glory on the sunday with the sun bringing out those colours and it of course did not spoil our enjoyment of this exceptional event .
A massive thank you to Dee and Stu as always -especially for running the event for us for a second year. It really is appreciated.

* And of course we are not holding it against him and we will never mention it in the future.........
Boab

Post by Boab »

Rumps wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:55 pm That bastard of a push up the muddy single track ( is that what others called Bushwacker corner?)-especially as the wahoo was not clear it was the right path.

Bushwhack corner; that blue line is the bridleway. To follow the actual GPS trace, you had to plough straight through a load of conifers, without any sign of a path.

Bastard push up the double singletrack; I went up the right hand one, Dyffers went up the left hand one, then crossed over to join me at the top...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:45 pm Good collection of badges that, including the very rare 'gold' one? Was that for 3 blacks?
I seem to remember it was. Not sure if Stu's still doing them or they were a (very) limited edition.

Nice one Ian. You got to ByS an hour quicker than I did, there was no way I was going to hold your wheel on the drag into Hafren :lol:

I wondered why there was nothing in my legs and why I felt "odd" and really jaded all through the ride - I came down with a cold on Sunday night. :cry: Cath had one all last week and I was hoping to avoid it but obviously not, slightly annoying as it's only the second cold I've had in ten years.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I seem to remember it was. Not sure if Stu's still doing them or they were a (very) limited edition.
Very limited - only two in existence. One belongs to Ian and the other to Kevin Roderick. Both got 3 out of 3 black from 2011 to 2013.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Rumps

Post by Rumps »

Thanks Boab.
"Bushwhack corner; that blue line is the bridleway. To follow the actual GPS trace, you had to plough straight through a load of conifers, without any sign of a path."We ignored the conifer hell -in previous years I have followed the satnav come what may and that has sometimes been a rather painful process...........this time we just zoned out a bit and rode round it . But as I say I have not always been so sensible........
slarge

Post by slarge »

Nice collection Ian, I have restricted my collection to black (5) and orange (3). I missed the very 1st in 2011, then did 2013 the weekend before everyone else (the 1st year route reversed), DNF last year. Almost a regular.

Enjoying the write ups everyone- looking forward to Sean’s as well :-bd
thesloth

Post by thesloth »

Well that was fun!
More fun than I bargained for as it turned out. Way past type 2 at one point.

Had been feeling a bit rough on the days preceding the weekend, but felt ok on Saturday morning.
...and the box of Imodium which proclaimed "Dissolves on the tongue for instant relief!" gave me confidence.

All was going relatively well and then at about 22:00 it felt like someone had suddenly taken my batteries out. (Just a massive energy low, fortunately I didn't need to dissolve anything on my tongue).
Nevertheless all well prepared plans of riding swiftly through the night needed to be torn up on the spot.

A few hours of necessary sleep reanimated me.
Whilst I was sorry to miss the black night and the black badge, as it turned out Sunday was bright and dry (with an icy wind though).

Many thanks to Stuart & Dee for putting on this extra event so we didn't miss out.

A few photos:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmX5Nd8Y
Ian

Post by Ian »

slarge wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:19 pm Nice collection Ian, I have restricted my collection to black (5) and orange (3). I missed the very 1st in 2011, then did 2013 the weekend before everyone else (the 1st year route reversed), DNF last year. Almost a regular.
We've finished the same number now then. I have 9 badges from 8 rides (the ninth being the gold). Would have been nice to have done them all, but too many things didn't go to plan the last few years. Three oranges is impressive, though!
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

ImageBB300 by Andy Wright, on Flickr

I have some stickers that say 'STOP BEING SOFT' but in the end this setback ended my BB300 ride on the wind farm climb :cry:

Dee must have known something when she questioned my sanity (eligibility) to start the 300 :lol: :lol: As it was, I made it to the McDonalds for a 5am breakfast. Which coincidentally was 203km and 21h30m out :-bd

I heard a crack from my right pedal on the final road climb to the Kerry Ridgeway, and my right shoe then sat an odd angle. I suspected the cleat had pulled a bolt but continued to top gate before checking. Unfortunately it was the aluminium insert that was trying to escape the carbon CX1 crank arm. This was at 238km and 26h24m, or 10h to do 65km.

I'd ridden almost the same route on my WRT back in May. My recollection of the ridgeway was of easy riding in bright warm sunshine :???: Sunday was not that day! However I made it to the A483 in just under 1h30m for 16km and still on track to finish under 36h. Except the pedal finally pulled out of the arm near the gate :((

The effect of only using my left leg for power was already having an effect on my knee. Riding with just one pedal brought in my right arm and lower back to the complaining list. I made another 5km in 45m to get through the gate and onto the wind farm climb. But I was getting ever colder because I could only walk slowly with my knee. I knew it would be exposed on the tops and although I had a rain jacket and waterproof shorts, I felt they would add little as I already had two wind resistant jackets, a long sleeve base layer and my BB top on. So my BB300 2021 attempt ended at 259.6km and 29h36m.

Roll on next year :lol:

Andy

https://www.strava.com/activities/6226630427
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Ooof, that's not great ^

Fair play for getting back Andy
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Needs a dremel and a bunch of cable ties! :lol:
flyingpig

Post by flyingpig »

That happened to my road bike, sram red chainset!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I enjoyed these write ups. There's something about the bb200 that I love (hate). God knows what it is. I need to become lighter and take less stuff. 2022. That's my goal.

Ian, I've never thought to try a church door. But now I may just if I need it that much.

Thats too and about your pedal Andy. Hope you get it sorted cheaply.

Rich, my bag was 800g. It's the sink I took which weighed a lot. I thought it's my first long ride of 2021 and if it goes wrong I'll camp out and just turn it into a trip. As soon as I started that switch went in me. Ride right through. That's my plan. Carrying as much stuff as I did this time was partially to blame. And exactly like the Sloth, my batteries were removed earlier than his.

Thanks for sharing all.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Knowing that I always want to sleep at 2am, I took a couple of Proplus caffeine tablets at 10/11pm - and I think they did the trick. Despite eating hot food at 1am and then riding on a flat canal towpath I didn't feel sleepy at all. This allowed me to ride through and not have to get damp gear off, sleeping kit out and then cold damp gear back on a few hours later (that's always the worst bit about bivyying!).

And in deepest darkest Wales churches seem to be left unlocked (esp. the remote ones). Always worth checking if the sleep monsters arrive or the weather turns bad. And often the porch is open even if the main door is locked. They are never warm though!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I did stop at one church to try and find some water, but alas there was none available.

Did give me an opportunity to switch some of my gear around out of the wind though.