What's your BB200 action plan?

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Maybe as a way to debrief and in no particular order... Mine is as follows:

Training - I've been trying to keep up with the BAM this year and there might well be a chance that I get the Sept edition under my belt tonight. Along with that I got some trail shoes and started running but have put that on hold for a little while whilst I train in other ways and also ensure I've not got on compartment syndrome going on in my left leg. Think squished muscle.

I've also put down my name to try and raise for 10 orphans - sponsor for a year from wartorn much needed location of Syria - by attempting to complete the BB200 and I'm in the meanwhile using the road bike to get some training in. This is by targeting Cardiac Hill - 16 percent average and it ends at a Golf Ball radar station - to try and climb it or its equivalent to a total elevation of Everest eventually. Maybe this is what's caused the compartment syndrome if it is... Probably isn't.

Gear - I shall be taking my trusty Pinnacle semi fat. Bottom bracket was squeaking last I used it but I guess it's the eccentric that needs greasing up or maybe slighly loose. Front wheel coming shortly from Tim on here and I hope it can take summat decently wide. Rear needs building with the Hope I have sat and a carbon rim. Must get that sorted this week sometime. Dropper post so backpack and keep the saddle light. Water inside the triangle but not sure if it's via a bladder or bottles. Most likely a bottle inside the framebag and more importantly cooking equipment.

Will grab myself a couple of high energy dehydrated meals from the Derby (basecampfood?) place so as not to have the issue of 2019 of being short on hot food. Maybe just pasta from a Spar and cook that or some tomato soup...

Sleeping is slightly complex but waterproofs I'll take both top and bottom with walking boots in the hope they stay unsaturated as long as poss. Possibly the Trekkertent but in tarp mode only and a quilt with the S2S mat. Lastly I suppose I'll just keep moving, limit photo opportunities to 30 miles apart and keep enjoying the views and smiling. Extreme uphills will be walked earlier...

So, how will you be eating yours :???:
Dyffers

Re: What's your BB200 action plan?

Post by Dyffers »

Just about the opposite plan: no sleep, no tent, no hot food, no stopping...death or glory.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Dyffers wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:25 pm Just about the opposite plan: no sleep, no tent, no hot food, no stopping...death or glory.
Me too. Tally-Ho… Back in time for breakfast and medals (or badges at least)
I shall achieve all this glory by plodding slowly on a 14kg steel Krampus and no doubt walking a lot :-bd :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Boab

Post by Boab »

I was planning ongoing until I drop. But having never done that before, it'll most likely be go till late, kip, then continue.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Just as in the past few years, my plan to not enter and not go is working out very well. In fact, this year's plan, on the BB200 weekend, to take my dog for a walk in the morning, have lunch with a mate, then go for a gentle pootle in the local woods in the afternoon, is the best yet.

And on that note, I wish everyone taking part the best of luck and great experiences. I'm looking forward to the ride reports. :-bd
Last edited by TheBrownDog on Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just going outside ...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

tyson.jpg
tyson.jpg (87.56 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
Seems apt for the BB200.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Simple...

PLF! :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The plan is, there is n plan.
Turn up (this is my biggest challenge) ride bike, eat food, drink water, see what happens.
Scratching isn't an option as I've no idea about Welsh geography so going off route to try and short cut back to base is likely to end up as being worse than continuing on the route.
I may sleep, I may not.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

whitestone wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:53 pm Simple...

PLF! :-bd
Plf= :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Scratching isn't an option as I've no idea about Welsh geography so going off route to try and short cut back to base is likely to end up as being worse than continuing on the route.
I often think this is key to many things. When you have or can see no viable alternative other than to carry on, then that's generally what you do. :-bd I also think (obviously applies to many things), people set themselves the 'wrong' goal and when it starts to look as though they won't achieve it, the bottom falls from beneath their world and it can soon become game over. In the case of the BB200, the real objective is to finish; not always with a black or a blue but a finish ... average speed required for black is 8.3kph but for a valid finish it's 'only' 5.5kph. Doesn't sound like much but a massive difference in real terms.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:57 am for a valid finish it's 'only' 5.5kph
Not much over 3mph. So one could push the bike the whole way and still have a valid finish :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

RIP wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:10 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:57 am for a valid finish it's 'only' 5.5kph
Not much over 3mph. So one could push the bike the whole way and still have a valid finish :smile: .
Do the rules state you have to take a bike?! 125 mile 36 hour trail run anyone?
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Firstly, attempt to get preferred bike in working order. Then failing that, ditto second preference bike. Assuming that happens, I then have to travel 80 miles north of the start to get all the kit I stupidly left in my brother's van after Moors One Hundred.

So I'll be happy just to start.
May satan walk with you
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I wish I had one. I wish I had hours in the legs.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

The last few months have been a complete wash-out for me, riding-wise. So perversely, I think I might end up riding straight through, because I can probably get round if I keep going, but if I stop I'll probably never be able to move again :lol:

And try not to think about the 5 hour drive home.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Plan revised after route published:
Dyffers wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:25 pm death
Tomorrow I'm going to start the planning for my first BB alpine attempt.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Dyffers wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:15 pm Do the rules state you have to take a bike?! 125 mile 36 hour trail run anyone?
There was a chap turned up at Charlie's gravel dash without a bike once, ran the route and finished mid pack I think.

Phil's got it spot on, turn up, ride bike, eat, drink and just keep going untill the finish.

I usually take an overview map just in case of a major mechanical and I need to work out how to get back to the start but I never look at bailing options. The easier it is to scratch the more likely it is you'll convince yourself to quit. Surely anyone who enters can ride 60 miles and that's half way, and no-one quits after halfway? :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Boab

Post by Boab »

I was pondering* start timing yesterday. Do you start as early as possible, to maximise light on day one. Or as late as possible, and having a couple of hours of daylight on Sunday, for a mythical sub 24 hour finish. :shrug:

* Totally overthinking it, as per usual...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I tend to think timing alterations for weather perhaps make more difference than light. If the forecast was for heavy rain first thing but getting better, I'd set off later rather than earlier.
May the bridges you burn light your way
chris n

Post by chris n »

Ride a bit, detour for refills, ride a bit more, sleep, ride a bit, another detour then some more riding. Green badge.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Huff, puff, curse, stumble, weep, backtrack, giggle, beseech, exalt.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Massive amount of overconfidence, then a decent chunk of self doubt about a third of the way in. Then a little overconfidence, then despair until maybe an hour or two to go.

Yes, that sounds about right.

sean_iow wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:39 am Surely anyone who enters can ride 60 miles and that's half way, and no-one quits after halfway? :-bd

I did last year, but that was my own stupid fault for making plans the next day (see overconfidence). Ironically my route back left me not much short of the total elevation / distance anyway.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Boab wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:10 am I was pondering* start timing yesterday. Do you start as early as possible, to maximise light on day one. Or as late as possible, and having a couple of hours of daylight on Sunday, for a mythical sub 24 hour finish. :shrug:

As most resupply is early in the day I’m not going to rush to start. I think 0900 is a good aim. I like a bit of day light at the end of an ITT to see me through the last hour or so.

I finished the 2018 event at something like 0630 and it was still dark and no one was in at the community centre with the kettle on.

* Totally overthinking it, as per usual...
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Boab

Post by Boab »

Anyone got a cheat sheet on how to pronounce various placenames...? I fear I'm going to make a complete tit of myself when asking for directions etc...
As a starter, how do you pronounce Llanbrymair...?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Boab wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:15 pm Anyone got a cheat sheet on how to pronounce various placenames...? I fear I'm going to make a complete tit of myself when asking for directions etc...
As a starter, how do you pronounce Llanbrymair...?
I wouldn't worry about it, odds you'll see anyone other than Bearboners are slim. :lol: