Not Quite The Lomond-Trossschs Loop

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rapideye

Not Quite The Lomond-Trossschs Loop

Post by Rapideye »

For a long while I’ve been planning to have a few days in Scotland, visiting the parents and also having a 3 day/2 night bikepacking trip. Originally, I’d intended to do this in June but for one reason or another, the 1st opportunity was in August.

Some while back I’d posted about doing the West Highland Way and the Lomond-Trossachs Loop was suggested as an alternative. After careful consideration, I decided against following the whole route but to pick up parts of it and just to see what happens. A few things made the decision for me. Firstly, a cycle path runs almost past my Parents door in Alloa and would take me to Doune. A few more miles to Callender would lead me the Lomond/Trossochs route. Taking the cycle route 765 would also add approx. 26 miles to the loop distance, doubled if I did it both ways. So, instead of the Lomond/Trossachs route, I’d cycle to Callender for lunch and then pick up some of the route and pretty much play it by ear.

Day 1
I was slightly late heading out, starting at 9.45 instead of the 8.00 I’d intended. I headed out on the NCN 76 & 765, cycling past the base of Wallace’s Monument, through Bridge of Allan, Dunblane and to Doune. Once in Doune I picked up a back road to Callender and was passed by quite a few road cyclists. All good, really. I’m not fast at the best of times.

Once in Callender, I pottered around for a bit and picked up a few things I’d forgotten and then picked up a lunch of champions…a battered haggis supper, broon sauce and washed down by Irn Bru. Lovely.

Finishing that, I decided to head out alomg NCN7, past Loch Venechar and see about picking up the Lomond/Trossochs trail. I was quite happy picking my was along this, stopping every so often to take in the views. I don’t know what time it was, I think about 4-ish when I spotted what I thought was a good spot. It seemed a little early and I was also un-sure whether it was part of the restricted area. I carried on along the trail and found a board that indicated where the restricted areas are and my little spot was outside it. By the time I’d sussed this out, I’d realised that I’d forgotten beer in Callender. I know right?! Schoolboy error but an error that put the final nail into making any attempt at the Lomond/Trossachs loop. I decided then to carry on the NCN7 for a while, then turn back to Callender, pick up beer and then return to my spot at about 7pm.

Once back, I pitched up and heated some food. The day had been beautiful and was ending lovely, no rain and very little midges either. I could hear a few voices around in the distance but all pretty quiet.

Day 2

I awoke to this.

Lovely mist covering the Loch. No sign of the mountain at all but some voices from what I thought was the other side of the Loch. As the mist cleared, I saw that the voices were from two Guys in boats fishing. I watched them as I had breakfast and got packed up.

My plan today was to head up NCN7 to Killen and either then head across to Loch Lyon if I felt able or just go to Loch Tay. First thought was to head to Callender again and have a 2nd breakfast and pick-up a lunch. Both of these were found in Mhor Bread, a steak & chipotle sourdough road and a scotch pie for lunch. Both very tasty.

On the NCN 7, there were lots of people who were part of a Macmillan cancer sponsored walk. Obviously a great cause and no real issue sharing the route with them. The more that there were, the more difficult it was snaking past them, especially when I needed extra speed and momentum to get up the hills. Near Killen, I sat and had the 2nd half of the steak roll, overlooking Loch Tay, after which I made my way into Killen, grabbed a coke, while making plans for my next move.

My dilemma was whether to head to Loch Tay for another Loch side pitch or head towards Loch Lyon. I decided to head along Loch Tay’s southern shore for a pitch there, thinking that I would still have time to head elsewhere if I couldn’t see anywhere I liked. To be fair, I found the road along that way tiring. Eventually, after some back and forth, I spotted a trail from the road heading to the Loch side. I headed down, found and nice lochside spot and started to take out the tent.

Within minutes, I spotted 3 ticks so moved along 50yds or so. No ticks this time, so got set-up, had dinner, my other beer and got my head down early, about 21.30.

I was woken at 00.30 by really loud music from the other side of the loch that lasted a 1/2hr. Otherwise a quiet night til about 7am when I got up, had breakfast and packed up.

DAY 3
So, which way to go. I didn’t really want to head back down and back the way I came, so quickly decided to pick up the L/T loop. Quite a bit of pushing the bike up the timber trails. As I was getting water I was glad to meet 2 runners who’d driven up to a gate with their van. It just nice to see others as it’d seemed a little lonely heading up there.

At the pipeline I encountered quite a few cows, one of which was eye-balling me. At the same time, I had 3 sheep to my right as I stopped to build up the courage to head on through. One of the sheep was making it clear I wasn’t wanted around those parts and had even made a short charge to encourage me to leave. I took the hint, a deep breath and started cycling. The cows were all standing or sitting around a turn of the trail at the pipe. When I got there, a calf (but still a fair size) was spooked and ran in front of me for quite a bit. I kept expecting Mum to give chase. Eventually, it found a way to escape.
At the end of the pipeline, there was another turn in the road and, again, more cows. I by-passed them this time and came to the end of the trail. Now, I’ve never hike-a-biked in this situation but had a snack and a drink before setting off where I thought Chris’s line was indicating. There were signs of a track from a quad bike going along the same direction, so I followed that until I couldn’t see it anymore. Google maps wasn’t accurately locating me either. I did managed to work it out and changed back to where I was supposed to be. It was an effort though and I was glad to find the start of the other trail. Had half of my scotch pie.

The downhill was enjoyable. I took the rough gravel sections easy and the long downhill (mainly) was enjoyable. The scenery to the mountains nearing Comrie was impressive. Maybe the best of the trip.
At Comrie, I left the Loop and headed via Greenloaning (lovely 4 miles uphill on a B road that google described as ‘mostly level’) and then up and over Sheriffmuir, to Bridge of Allan and back on the NCN 765 and home to Alloa.

The last 3 miles were a pain as I headed into the only headwind of the 3 days. Made it home with perfect timing to a full roast. Nice.

The trip was a long time in the planning and even at the time of going I still felt under-prepared. I’m glad I changed plans and took each day as it came. Both nights lochside were great. I loved cycling around places I know but loved the exploring. This wasn’t as adventurous a trip as you’ll see but probably right for me. But what can I say…beautiful weather, no rain, beautiful scenery, no mechanicals (the bike did well) and an all-round excellent experience. I think I'll get back in the spring.
Last edited by Rapideye on Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frogatthefarriers

Re: Not Quite The Lomond-Trossschs Loop

Post by frogatthefarriers »

A lovely write-up of a great trip. I wish I could do things "on the fly", or to put it another way, do a Loretta and just wing it. :grin:
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Cheers. It was mainly on the fly because I thought I'd struggle getting round the route and anticipated being in restricted areas when it was time to bed down, so it was kind of out of necessity. I'm still a complete noob at all this, so was trying to keep it within an arms reach of my comfort zone.

Sorted out the pictures. I forgot how to have them showing instead of links.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Good one that - actually quite a lot of scope in that general area for back road / cycleway / easy (ish) trails riding :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Nice trip :-bd It will be a year to the day this Thursday that I was pushing across the trackless bit. At the time the heat made it hard work but imaging how much fun it would be in the dark and rain with no visibility :lol: I was also pleased to spot the start of the next track :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

:lol: Sean, it was bloody hot when I did it and there a few 'wtfs' and fair few stronger when I was going off-course a bit. If I'd kept on going off 50yds and heading more to the west I'd have been a fair bit away from the track. Luckily, the sloping gave away the right direction. I was pretty chuffed sitting at the start of the track, giving myself a little pat on the back. Feet were sodden after pulling the bike through a boggy section. Had to wash them in the next small stream I went past :grin:
Good one that - actually quite a lot of scope in that general area for back road / cycleway / easy (ish) trails riding
Yes, I agree. I think I'll spend my next weekend in Spring heading up the same way and diverting off to different routes. So many places to go.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

What an ace trip :) shame about the music, and good spot for the ticks!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Sounds lovely, and I particularly approve of your approach to "sports nutrition" :-bd