DSAM (Dead Straight a Month) challenge (2021)

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

DSAM (Dead Straight a Month) challenge (2021)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Wasn't sure f Stu would approve but upon thinking about it, I'll assume he will. Obviously if it doesnt fit the BB agenda then it'll become a frozen thread. Inspired by Jenny Grahams Cargnorms hike/bike/run (whatever it was) and that Wales hike in a straight line that was on youtube the other year...

I went out for a little jog today (still traning for the Bearbones 200 and hopng I'll build enough stamina that I might enjoy it more) but after about a mile I realised it just wasn't happening for me today. So I needed some motivation ans thought of the recent thread on Jenny Graham and the Cairgnorms.

Got myself to the edge of the park and figured that I could run/hike/climb at a 300 degree trajectory and get to the other corner. This would miss the tree and the little monument for WWsomething soldiers. Got running and my first obstacle came in the form of the pond. Could I get across, would I take a dip or would walking at the edge cut it. Managed to get past and then climb up amongst the rockery the rats usually hang around/in.

Past that and came a wall through the little special garden. Could've walked sideways a couple of steps and gone through but I was persistant and jumped over the solid stone wall. Then a few 100m later and came a wall that looked 'listed'. Not sure whether I'd be able to climb it, nor if it was ethical. So I ran round it and continued. Next was the tussocky-thorns plantation. Naturally I walked and ouched through it and remindedmyself that this challenge needs full length pants for future. Over the metal fence into the kids play area and back out the other end. 0.7 miles later I'd almost 'straight-lined' the park but wasn't satisfied at such a short distance.

Went across to the graveyward to continue but then read a note thatthe grass probably contains strewn ashes. So I finiahed and ran home instead...

Not quite straight, but happy with that...

I'd translated this as 300° so thats what I aimed for on the compass watch. Hoping that with time I'll get better at following straight lines using compass and map

The pond that was narrowly missed

This was rather painful but thankfully the proper tussocks of Wales are never so

The playground which had people in it so I pointed the camera down... and then the end

Erm... DSAM 1 of 1 done :o
RIP

Re: DSAM (Dead Straight a Month) challenge (2021)

Post by RIP »

Shafiq wrote: almost
- close, but no thigh-rolled smoking materials :wink:

But, utterly bonkers Sir, and for that one thrice salutes you (<salute><salute><salute>).

This evening has taken on a surreal air... this ^... The Prisoner..... Marshmallow/Choc Stout..... all equally mad, or... all equally stark-staring sane?

Only you can decide.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

I forgot to add... Rules.

Just make sure you're following rule #1...

I reckon sticking to parks/national parks and ensuring some good line plotting will ensure everything remains ethical/legal/decent
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:50 pm I forgot to add... Rules.

Just make sure you're following rule #1...

I reckon sticking to parks/national parks and ensuring some good line plotting will ensure everything remains ethical/legal/decent
Ethical, legal, decent..... land 'ownership' ..... discuss :wink:

In a supremely fortuitous piece of synchronicity... I have just watched The Prisoner Episode 4 "Free For All"... he becomes the very person he rebels against.. brainwashed into being Number 2..... "two shapes are joined with his head, a visual representation of Orwellian doublethink: the ability to hold in one’s mind two contradictory notions".... :wink:
Last edited by RIP on Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

:lol:

Hopefully Stu will put a stop (to the thread) before it all gets out of hand. I'll be jeeping it local parks as much as poss for ease and to follow that there rule number 1 (velominati)
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:24 pm before it all gets out of hand
Ah.... just a smidgeon too late methinks :smile:
Last edited by RIP on Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verena

Post by Verena »

It's about time we had another bonkers challenge, excellent!

So the challenge is what?, see how many, how far, how often we can do something in a straight line during September?

I'm in!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Does this count?
redefined_cycles

Verena wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:43 pm It's about time we had another bonkers challenge, excellent!

So the challenge is what?, see how many, how far, how often we can do something in a straight line during September?

I'm in!
Lol... no Verena... just seehow far a atraight line ride or hike/run we can do each month... Everything else up to the individual :-bd

I'm gonna try to do at leaat one mile next month :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Do swimming and paddling count?
Verena

Post by Verena »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:49 am Do swimming and paddling count?
They might have to :cool: ...
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

RIP wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:13 pm

This guy has attempted to walk across Wales in a straight line several tImes, with inevitable results…

https://youtu.be/M7w986ni7_g
I’ve been abart a bit
RIP

Post by RIP »

I think we need to define exactly what a 'dead straight' line is before proceeding further..... curvature of the Earth... contours.... can play merry hell with this concept perhaps....

RIP

Post by RIP »

sillybigfella wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:25 am
RIP wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:13 pm

This guy has attempted to walk across Wales in a straight line several tImes, with inevitable results…

https://youtu.be/M7w986ni7_g
Yes, well spotted, we've chatted about him before... 10 out of 10 for eccentric creativity and dogged adherence to a plan if nowt else :smile: .

My point about ethics and land 'ownership' doesn't always sit well with most people's view of it of course :wink: .

redefined_cycles

Yup... why wouldn't they. To truly go dead straight you might need to swim n paddle right... Me personally I'll be trying to stay out of the water but was tempted at going through the pond just to keep it dead straight (but would've chickened out)...
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:27 am I think we need to define exactly what a 'dead straight' line is before proceeding further..... curvature of the Earth... contours.... can play merry hell with this concept perhaps....
No you're making this rather complicated Reg :lol: ... I've just about managed 0.7 miles across the park with poor results (not wanting to disturb the wall that was too tall anyway). I doubt I'd need to take curvature of the earth for my own line but maybe someone else will... They can deal with it as they please :grin:

Did I say, try not to die or get shot. Goes without saying that if you do get shot and die... Try your best not to write about it on here. It'll disturb the ethical-icity of our here humble forum :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:59 pm
Yup... why wouldn't they. To truly go dead straight you might need to swim n paddle right... Me personally I'll be trying to stay out of the water but was tempted at going through the pond just to keep it dead straight (but would've chickened out)...
Straight across a loch certainly helps remove any worries about obstacles.
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:29 pm Straight across a loch certainly helps remove any worries about obstacles.
Are you quite sure about that Colin? :lol:

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I really do need to practice my arm entry. That's abysmal.
Verena

Post by Verena »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:03 pm I really do need to practice my arm entry. That's abysmal.
:lol: