Borders 2021 Group Start

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Borders 2021 Group Start

Post by Ray Young »

Five set off from Peebles at 8am this morning with a good weather forecast over the week end. Andrew Broadway Donald McIntosh and Richard Sidney on the 350 whilst Pete Gretton and Colin Todhunter ride the 220 together.

ImageIMG_20210828_080028107 by Raymond Young, on Flickr

link to tracking page - https://new.spotwalla.com/lp/9c2a-edde8 ... L9SLadTFP0
Last edited by Ray Young on Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Re: Borders 2021 Group Start

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
I was thinking of this again Ray but I'm duty manager at work this weekend, hence the glorious weather.
Good luck chaps, looks like a couple of folks have just done the Fruid to Moffat death march....
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Andrew Broadway and Donald McIntosh look as though they'll finish today but given their equal speed and constant lead changes its hard to say who'll be home first.
CTodhunter

Post by CTodhunter »

Just thought to add a quick update (now I've recovered).

Pete Gretton finished the 220 Monday evening about 10:45pm. Pete and I separated at Hawick and I finally bailed at Selkirk due to lack of beans in the tank (taking gentler roads and the NCR 1 along the tweed)

First night was spent in Greensykes bothy (nice) after a tough first day. The "death march" is correctly named but a special mention goes to Garrogill. 12" pizza in Moffat didn't quite settle :wink: !

Second night was slept next to the Lamb Hill Hut. It was full with pennine way walkers who got there first so I became a grumpy man: "Its full", "what do you mean 'full', have you looked?", "Yes", "You must be wrong, I'll have a proper look. F... F...F..." ). Drizzle overnight didnt perk me up. The Olive Tree in Newcastle did a good home made burger. Kielder Castle had a food stall for later (Anglers Arms was limited).

Third day we were desperate for a late breakfast in Jedburgh - "Simply Scottish" did a great "Scottish Breakfast". But by that time I was going slower and slower.

Only "technical issue" was the water filter bag getting a leak on day 1. Getting filtered water was awkward over the Cheviots. A Sawyer micro Squeeze - the bags pop. Need a better bag.

Thanks to Ray for doing it.
donaldbmcintosh

Post by donaldbmcintosh »

Thanks for this Colin - and well done on the ride. I think I saw you as you were getting packed up outside the (full) Lamb Hill bothy, but never noticed your bike until I looked back later. It is a tough old route, covering some very tricky ground, so kudos for pushing on through to the end.

I've done a write-up of my ride for anyone that is interested - https://www.donaldmcintosh.net/bike/borders350-2021

Thanks to Ray for putting the route together and seeing us off. It sometimes seems like the most under-publicised but incredible route ever, a bit of a hidden gem. It was a stunning ride.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Great write up Donald, thanks.