The Hebridean Way

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

The Hebridean Way

Post by Borderer »

Joe and I rode the Hebridean Way this summer. It's a beautiful route and a wonderful experience to spend time on the islands. We hope you enjoy the write-up.

https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/2021/08/ ... -way-2021/
Shewie

Re: The Hebridean Way

Post by Shewie »

Great report, lovely pics, I'm looking forward to seeing the islands myself for the first time in a few weeks
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Shewie wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:42 pm Great report, lovely pics, I'm looking forward to seeing the islands myself for the first time in a few weeks
Thanks. You will love it there.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Wondered what yous had been up to!
Been out there a few times over the years and was just thinking that I should go back next year. I missed all of those eateries though, must try harder!
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

htrider wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:56 pm :-bd
Wondered what yous had been up to!
Been out there a few times over the years and was just thinking that I should go back next year. I missed all of those eateries though, must try harder!
Eateries were a bit thin on the ground! I'd love to go back again too. I would try to get to the bothy and other bits over on the west of Lewis next time.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Nice.

Not been out there for a few years now. We did the "alternative route" on Harris as an MTB route in the opposite direction. In the background of one of your shots is Sron Ulladale, the steepest cliff in the UK. You can cycle most of the way too it up the next glen to the west of the one with the bird hide in it.

Also the Golden Road on the east coast of Harris is well worth riding but no golden beaches I'm afraid.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

whitestone wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:07 pm Nice.

Also the Golden Road on the east coast of Harris is well worth riding but no golden beaches I'm afraid.
Yes there's quite a few diversions we could have made, but I did well to persuade Joe to do the one as it was. Definitely a lot more there to discover - the Golden Road is on the list.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Looks like a great trip that Bridget, looking forward to getting up there myself.

I won't be rushing.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Thanks Rich, yes it's definitely one to take your time over.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Thoroughly enjoyed that Bridget. I've always want to go up that way and have a nose around, one day...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

K1100T wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:27 am Thoroughly enjoyed that Bridget. I've always want to go up that way and have a nose around, one day...
Thanks. Yeah defo do it. I wish I hadn't taken so long to get round to it!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Borderer wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:10 pm

Yes there's quite a few diversions we could have made, but I did well to persuade Joe to do the one as it was. Definitely a lot more there to discover - the Golden Road is on the list.
Careful, it's a bit addictive. We've been over to the Uists for our holidays 6 years out of the past 8 (and with family in Lewis we're there at least that often too)
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:01 pm
Borderer wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:10 pm

Careful, it's a bit addictive. We've been over to the Uists for our holidays 6 years out of the past 8 (and with family in Lewis we're there at least that often too)
I can think of worse addictions :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Another great report thanks! Helen and I both scratched our heads at the tennis court when we passed it
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Dave Barter wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:25 pm Another great report thanks! Helen and I both scratched our heads at the tennis court when we passed it
Thanks. Some serious optimism there with the tennis court!
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

Excellent write-up and pics Bridget! :-bd
One day, you’ll wake up and there won't be any more time to do the thing you always wanted to do. Do it now. – Paolo Coelho
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Excellent write up Bridget and hopefully heading up September to pedal it again as enjoyed it so much the first time but rushed it over 4 days and didn’t see anything other than the stem cap of my bike.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Loved that! A great story and some handy tips. Thanks for posting :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Looks lovely that, and I really enjoyed the storytelling too. Mrs Landslide has just expressed an interest in that part of the world too...
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

A good read with some fine pics too. It's a lovely part of the world when the sun shines!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Thanks guys. It's a really special place alright.
arkay

Post by arkay »

Nice write-up and pics :-bd One of my wife's relatives has a place on North Uist and it does look beautiful, if bleak at times (if you choose the wrong weather).

BTW in the interests in pedantry the pic you have labelled as probably the causeway from South Uist to Benbecula looks like it is actually one hop further north, from Benbecula to North Uist here.

Oh and that tennis court had me puzzled too, so I turned to Google and found this story: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/dest ... nis-court/
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Loved that whole thing and have made lots of metal notes of places we didn't get to on our trip back in 2010. Have always had it in mind to go as the whole family and they're just about old enough to manage some of it at least :smile:
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

arkay wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:32 pm
Oh and that tennis court had me puzzled too, so I turned to Google and found this story: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/dest ... nis-court/
Oh that's wonderful - thanks for posting this. I will add the link to the story. Cheers
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

JoseMcTavish wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:52 pm Loved that whole thing and have made lots of metal notes of places we didn't get to on our trip back in 2010. Have always had it in mind to go as the whole family and they're just about old enough to manage some of it at least :smile:
That sounds great - let me know if you make definite plans - I would have something to offer you in that case....