Cairngorms Loop Video

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Cairngorms Loop Video

Post by Escape Goat »

๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ

After not making it to the YD300 for multiple reasons I headed off to the Cairngorms.

My recent trip to the Cairngorms went without a hitch. No broken bikes or broken bodies, just as well, - I'm still recovering from the Dark & White Peak crash! ๐Ÿคญ

Hope you enjoy it & let me know what you think. I couldn't edit this down anymore without removing the feel of the film ๐ŸŽฅ

https://youtu.be/XJVFL6NqOOM

๐Ÿ• ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿšฒ

๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ

ScotRoutes

Re: Cairngorms Loop Video

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lovely video.

It's always interesting seeing my local stuff through someone else's eyes. I did laugh when you mentioned getting a Coke at Feshie Bridge :-) Loch Insh Boathouse is close by though and is open all day for food and drink.

That singletrack above the Tilt has had its share of casualties, including an ex-colleague of mine who managed to puncture a lung when he fell into the river.

You might find this site interesting... https://canmore.org.uk/site/search/resu ... 0&view=map

https://canmore.org.uk/site/132947/dalestie
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Yes, I'm very interested in that site!! Thanks so much for linking me. I'm going to be on that a lot I think.

I left in me babbling about coke and what not because I knew it would make someone giggle who knows the route and get a kick out of it ha!

Thanks for the link and feedback ๐Ÿ˜
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Nice video enjoyed that
I am not sure i fancy a tllt at the tilt section on a full loaded bike after watching that

How technicall is the ride? It did not look that technical - though I also assumed you were less likely to film them as you were busy riding and paying attention
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The outer loop is mostly simple riding. Loch an Duin, Eag Mhor, Loch Builg and Glen Tilt are the more difficult bits and they're all relatively short. The "official" CL300 route also includes a short/steep climb to Fealar Lodge which involves some real thrutching.

The inner loop is a whole different level.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

ta for the local knowledge
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Yeah, inner is probably more Boner 200 style, but Scottish. I've not ridden it. So just assuming.

The tilt section was ace and scary!!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Good stuff Allen, just reminded me I've not been round that neck of the woods this year. I'm due a decent go at the tilt descent as the last time I was on it, the rain was horizontal!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

For a 'long' video that was really enjoyable. You looked like you had a great time.
Nicely done Al.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks Phil, yeah, I just had sideways midgies ๐Ÿ˜† and Jeff, yeah, it was a little long....I know, but I'm still chuffed with it.

Thanks for watching it and the feedback :D
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW I didn't think it was over-long. Ideal cuppa viewing. Nice mix of viewing angles etc too so held the interest a bit more. Makes me want a drone.

Inner loop next? Or just sign up for the full bhuna in September...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm starting to ponder long events or trips now. It's taken quite some time to get out of my plod along state of mind.

I'm happy it comes across with a nice mix of viewing angles, I'm always worried I'll overdo one or the other, especially the drone.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I enjoyed that. thanks Allen.

One thing I would disagree with though is your assumption re the ownership of the run down cottage. It is very unlikely to be owned by a family in the way that you say. Most likely it was an estate cottage that was left to decay after it was no longer needed. It looks a bit late for a clearances type narrative, but it is also true that a lot of families who were left without the male head of the household after the war were subsequently evicted. This happened to my friend's granny and her family - the dad was killed in WW1 and the rest of them were evicted at the end of the war.

Otherwise it was just the case that as increasing mechanisation meant a smaller labour force, the estates no longer needed to house their workforce, which led to the abandonment of the cottages.

Either way to my mind it is a sign of much-needed land reform in Scotland, rather than disinterest from the descendants of the previous owner in the way that you suggest.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

And if you want an extreme case - check out Glenfiddich lodge
The whole place was abandoned and the new owner (who lives elsewhere) isn't interested in doing anything with it so it has just been left, complete with furnishings.....
There is another one just over the hill similarly abandoned. The owner is only interested in screwing money out of wind farms and pi**ing off the locals.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'd love to have that go back in time button so I knew what life was like in these places, and why they ended up the way they did :(

That lodge is huge! You'd fit a boner or two in there wouldn't you...

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/thread ... 009.11483/
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Escape Goat wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:54 pm
That lodge is huge! You'd fit a boner or two in there wouldn't you...

https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/thread ... 009.11483/
Don't think I haven't thought about it! There are a couple of empty cottages next door but the farmer still uses some nearby sheds so it would be a bit dodgy....
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Looking at the exploration pictures, the fireplace room is still on sporadic use. I'll have to cycle past one day and see it in the flesh.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I really enjoyed that video, thanks. The best bit about it was your appreciation of the surroundings - it reminded me to never take it for granted, even in places I'm very familiar with, such as the Cairngorms.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thank you for having a peep at it. I always leave a place with more questions than answers. I do however love to just sit there and take it in too.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Nice film, ta for taking the time to make it and share it. Itโ€™s been too long since I rode those trails...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Cheers muchly! It did take a little while to edit together, so I'm glad you enjoyed it! You'll have to pop back there and sort that out :wink:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Enjoyed that :-bd I didn't recognise any of it :???: I think I must have ridden most of the outer loop in the dark and by the time it got light again the headwind was too strong to look up :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Ah, thanks!! Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me!

Thanks for watching, really means a lot everyone :)
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Just sat down with a dram and watched it and a great watch it was.

Donโ€™t think I have ever seen the rivers that low but itโ€™s a great route.

Doing the inner loop next then?๐Ÿ˜‚
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

htrider wrote: โ†‘Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:01 pm And if you want an extreme case - check out Glenfiddich lodge
The whole place was abandoned and the new owner (who lives elsewhere) isn't interested in doing anything with it so it has just been left, complete with furnishings.....
There is another one just over the hill similarly abandoned. The owner is only interested in screwing money out of wind farms and pi**ing off the locals.

For an even more extreme case, look at Kinloch Castle, on the Isle of Rum. Built as a hunting lodge at the end of the nineteenth century, then given, complete with furnishings, to the Scottish National Trust, (or some such), who have let it become a bit run down. I was there on my recent sailing adventure around the Hebrides and took these photos through the windows. I have a few more, but Iโ€™m running out of free space on Flickr.

Konia kujฤ…, ลผaba noge podstawia...