Cairngorms Loop Video

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Cairngorms Loop Video

Post by fatbikephil »

frogatthefarriers wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:58 pm For an even more extreme case, look at Kinloch Castle, on the Isle of Rum. Built as a hunting lodge at the end of the nineteenth century, then given, complete with furnishings, to the Scottish National Trust, (or some such), who have let it become a bit run down. I was there on my recent sailing adventure around the Hebrides and took these photos through the windows. I have a few more, but I’m running out of free space on Flickr.
Interesting stuff. Also reminded of another abandoned lodge just off the Highland Trail route at rosehall (doon the road from the OBH) - Invercassley lodge.

thinks.... Could be a great bivvy theme - kipping in posh rich houses that have been left to wrack and ruin. Calling Reg!!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Wasn't that Coco Chanel's place?? I wanted to see that last month, but was just a bit too far away. Plus the Mrs probably wouldn't go in it 😅
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Escape Goat wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:33 am Wasn't that Coco Chanel's place?? I wanted to see that last month, but was just a bit too far away. Plus the Mrs probably wouldn't go in it 😅
That's the one. I went past it last month but there were a few folk wandering around so I bottled having a nosy.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:04 am
Escape Goat wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:33 am Wasn't that Coco Chanel's place?? I wanted to see that last month, but was just a bit too far away. Plus the Mrs probably wouldn't go in it 😅
That's the one. I went past it last month but there were a few folk wandering around so I bottled having a nosy.
Applauds :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Hi Allen

Thoroughly enjoyed that over a pint of tea. Definitely not too long.
Having done the outer loop a few times and the inner loop once it was just nice remembering the whole atmosphere of the route.

The Allt Garbh Buidhe is definitely not a place to fall off :mrgreen:

If you turn left at the end of the singletrack towards Fealar Lodge it’s another story…

I was once ‘floating’ down Glen Tilt at a good pace when I heard behind me what I thought was a Landrover sounding like it was doing about a hundred miles an hour… I panicked thinking I was about to be mowed down and steered off the track into the grass and whatever…

Then looked up and saw a Hercules only about 200 feet above .

They must have had a good laugh at that one :roll:

The Drone
Magic, there was one shot where it was high up and absolutely stationary looking down… how’d it do that ? Was there no wind ? (Or did you just freeze the fillum?)

And does the drone pack up small, and what’s it weigh, and does it use a lot of mAh’s ?

So did you have a big power bank ?

(And I guess the camera is a Go Pro ? Latest version ?)

Cheers and well done :-bd :-bd :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Hey up!

Thank you very much for watching my edit! I'm a little overwhelmed with the reaction, so much more positive than I could have hoped for.

ericrobo wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:48 pm

Then looked up and saw a Hercules only about 200 feet above .
:lol: Sounds like something I would have done!

ericrobo wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:48 pm The Drone
Magic, there was one shot where it was high up and absolutely stationary looking down… how’d it do that ? Was there no wind ? (Or did you just freeze the fillum?)
I sent it up to hover and kept an eye on it on my phone hoping it didn't go away ha!

ericrobo wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:48 pm And does the drone pack up small, and what’s it weigh, and does it use a lot of mAh’s ?
it's 249 grams, it goes into one of these; https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... ottle-bag/ and my controller was in one of these; https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/product/bar-bag/ Each battery gives me about 30 minutes fly time.
ericrobo wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:48 pm So did you have a big power bank ?
I carried about 90,000 mah with me. Way too much, only used about 20,000. I worked it out to do in all 3 batteries 3 times, but as it didn't take me 3 days, I only depleted 4, but charged up 3 or 4 GoPro batteries.

ericrobo wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:48 pm (And I guess the camera is a Go Pro ? Latest version ?)
It's a GoPro 9 , standard lens, I didn't get on with the max lens mod very well.

Thanks again!!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'll add my voice to the chorus of thanks, Allen. What a super little film and a fantastic insight into that route. Well done fella.
I'm just going outside ...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Not quite on the route Allen but this might interest you from both a historical perspective and as a use of technology.

https://badenochstorylands.com/
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Oh wow, that's ace. I've downloaded the app. Another reason to head up there!!

Thanks again all :)