Coast to Coast in a heatwave!

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

vdubber67

Coast to Coast in a heatwave!

Post by vdubber67 »

Evening

After being a bit of a forum lurker for a while I thought I should contribute in the form of some pics of my Coast to Coast ride this week, using the Tim Woodcock route.

Did the ride over 3 full days, with a half day at either end as well, and I rode to Scarborough afterwards.

Have to say the benefits of the nice weather (dry trails, easy bivying) were balanced by the issues with pushing up Lake district trails in the hot sun and having to keep filtering water from streams to stay hydrated!

Bivy spots were the bottom of Hardknott Pass, just east of Shap, just West of Richmond, and in the woods above Glaisdale.

I rode a Salsa Fargo, which was hard work on the Lakes rocky stuff, but perfect for the rest.

I'm not sure whether I'd really recommend the route tbh - I'm sure it's possible to build a route with a lot less pushing in the Lakes, and a few less "trail, what trail?" moments elsewhere. That said, some of the riding was truly beautiful, especially the N.Yorks stuff which was new to me.

Hope you like the pics. I'd be keen to hear other people's opinions if they've done it - did you enjoy it?! :)
Ta

Rich

dramatize crossword
ton

Re: Coast to Coast in a heatwave!

Post by ton »

cracking photos them mate. i reckon you must have a cracking tan now. looks hot as hell on the pics. :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah that looks great. I think the Woodcock route (and most of his others) have something of a reputation :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Great photos! Looks like a great ride.

Stuart, rep for being hard or something else?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Brilliant stuff Rich, and welcome to t'forum. You have my vote for best first post ever.

I will do that route one day, but will start in my birthplace of Workington, rather than Whitehaven, and finish in Scarborough, where my family lived when we migrated to Oz in 1970. And if the forecast is for anything over 20degs I will bail. Cant stand the heat.
I'm just going outside ...
Dean

Post by Dean »

I did the Woodcock route in 2018.

35c for six days, not a single cloud the entire time, knocking on farm doors for water.

It was purgatory.
vdubber67

Post by vdubber67 »

Dean wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:15 pm I did the Woodcock route in 2018.

35c for six days, not a single cloud the entire time, knocking on farm doors for water.

It was purgatory.
I must admit I got bored of filtering water and ended up asking people as I rode through villages!