Two Thirds Of A 2019 Jennride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Escape Goat

Two Thirds Of A 2019 Jennride

Post by Escape Goat »

It was Thursday evening and the Mrs said I'm surprised you're only going for a day trip on Saturday. Before she could finish the statement of it being nice weather I was packed.

Initially, I was going to head up after work, but it worked out that I could actually leave early. 3.30pm came and I was out the door.

I then spent over 3 hours on the motorway, almost turned around as it was bumper to bumper. Even decided maybe just head from where I was on my bike as far up to the lakes as I could. Luckily, one car party later (car parties include; music, fizzy pop, cookie, crisps, and anything else you can get your hands on).

Parked up by Coniston around 6.50 I headed towards Torver up the steeeep Old Rake, which I was determined to ride up non stop towards Stephenson ground, without stopping. Done.

First picture of the ride;

Second;

Third

Happy I was making some good ground I snapped a few more along the route, happy I was out and about.

Another climb I was determined to climb without stopping was Birker Fell right up to the view of Wonder Hill where I got talking to a couple for around 20 minutes, he was asking about where everything was that I had packed, she was telling me about their cycle touring of Prague. I was to later bump into this couple again the next day.

I got my head down again, not really stopping until I got to this sign.

I avoided the last sketchy decent out of Mitredale Forest as I was on my own and it was dark. I just couldn't be bothered lying in a mess for the night if anything went wrong.

The diversion was a bit of road, but it was ace, so quiet.

How many people were parked up at Wastwater? Millions. All the millions.

Night walkers coming down from Eskdale Moor?

A quick fill up of water from Wasdale Head.

On route after pitching up at 12pm, chicken tikka and chocolate, then bed.

Alarm set for 6am...then 630am...then 7...I got up at 7.15. Packed up quick, then had breakfast.

Wastwater

Burnmore Tarn Image

This building up on the fells is Burnmoor Lodge. It is a private house that's been owned by the same family since the 50s. Three workers were erecting scaffolding for some much-needed chimney work to be completed and allowed me to look around inside at my leisure.
Downstairs is a simple kitchen, no gas, electricity, water, etc. One living quarter with a large fireplace. On the other side is a dining room set out with a table and chairs with another fireplace.
Up the narrow, steep stairs lead to two substantially sized rooms, all with 3 to 4 bunk beds in.
There's a story of a 92-year-old woman who had access to the Lodge having a few pints in the Boot in, walking up Eskdale Moor to spend the night in the lodge. She successfully made it and spent the night before returning the next day.
The people that were working on the Lodge said that it doesn't get much above 10° inside, not even in the summer.
Curiosity paid off and the extra effort to leave the track and explore was well rewarded.

Not a bad front garden.

Quite damp along the top of the Moor

I dropped down to Whillan Beck for breakfast number two. Make a note of this place, 9-5 every day they're open. Lovely owners and wonderful bacon and sausage butty!

Off to Harter Fell it is, I love this sign...I really need to do it!
(edit: completely forgot that I've done this climb from the other side then into Wrynose)

Most of the way up, breather time and water watch.

Squidgy under tyre.

Hopefully the last of the bogs is behind me, lost a shoe in one this time and had to fish it out before the bog got it. I now stank.

Heading down to the Newfield in for dinner before attempting Walna Scar

If you know me, I like to have food with my ketchup, but I thought I'd take a picture pre ketchuping.

Walna Scar was 100% worth the effort, pads wearing down, body wearing down, I rocketed down to the icecream truck for coke and a kitkat.

Hope these pictures didn't bore you. It was lovely to get out in warm weather for once.

Can't wait for the next one now.

See you at Jennride 2021?!

-Allen
Last edited by Escape Goat on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ton

Re: Two Thirds Of A 2019 Jennride

Post by ton »

pretty ace that mate. lovely photo's.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks very much buddy! I really enjoyed it, even though I completely bonked in Lawson, so I had to drop back to the lake and ride around it ha!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Echoing Ton's thoughts, that looks grand. I could do with a guided tour of the Lakes some time...
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thanks very much :) yeah sure man, give me a shout and we'll get something sorted!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Nice pics, again! Hard to resist when the weather's like this :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Thank you!

Tell me about it. I'd have like to stayed out longer :)